Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I would love to see some animation in the Traders of 7D2D.

Seeing them move there head or arms or shifting there weight from one foot to the other, lean forward or back.

Even pick there noses if you wish.

Having them walk around would be even better.

I just wish that the traders would move around a bit and not stand there.

Well good news! Trader Rekt has been making rude gestures every time you turn your back for the last three years. ;)

Similar to what I posted, but I like my idea better where the more kills you score on a BM the chance to drop bags goes up. This method you could let the traps do the work and just make sure to kill the special zed who drops loot and conserve ammo.

Serious question, why does it matter how you kill them? Why have traps at all if you do not want people to use them as a force multiplier? Why penalize smart play in favor of brute force methods?

I thing, we should make BM Horde to cumulative over time, so if someone doesn't kill say 5 out of 64 expected zed, he will get +5 next time and it will overcome the "max zombie" setting by +1 just to get that extra damage to player. So you have to kill them each night, because if you miss they come back stronger...Now even if you hide under the table, they will break more quickly .. maybe if not increase the count, it increase the gamestage ..making it eventually harder, yet not "forced" in sense. And I think it is fun ...

I thing, we should make BM Horde to cumulative over time, so if someone doesn't kill say 5 out of 64 expected zed, he will get +5 next time and it will overcome the "max zombie" setting by +1 just to get that extra damage to player. So you have to kill them each night, because if you miss they come back stronger...Now even if you hide under the table, they will break more quickly .. maybe if not increase the count, it increase the gamestage ..making it eventually harder, yet not "forced" in sense. And I think it is fun ...

or how about if you dont kill any of the first wave, the 2nd wave wont even spawn. this could be a perfect fix for multiplayer servers and people who just dont feel like dealing with bullet sponges that night.

I still say that with the breadcrumb glitch of having them chase you till you kill them would be a fun mechanic, it was scary and fun having any zombie that detected you follow you across the map till you are home, you were never safe and it made for even more thinking and compelling bases.

I still say that with the breadcrumb glitch of having them chase you till you kill them would be a fun mechanic, it was scary and fun having any zombie that detected you follow you across the map till you are home, you were never safe and it made for even more thinking and compelling bases.

It would certainly be funny for a short time, but it would get on my nerves in the long run if every zombie I've ever driven past would follow me to the end of the world. This is not primarily about defense but that I have to interrupt my work every time a zombie shows up.

I also see possible technical reasons against it. The game can only handle a limited number of zombies at the same time. When you drive past a building, the sleepers are spawned inside. You can see that in the console. As time goes by there will be more and more zombies moving around in the world and the CPU usage will increase. Therefore it is necessary to despawn the zombies after a certain time.

So I think a lot of proposals in recent days are different forms of the same core idea. If you don't put a dent in the Blood Moon zombies, you'll have a bigger zombie problem in the future than you would otherwise. Or conversely if you do go on a killing spree, they're less of a problem for a while. There are a lot of different ways you could implement that, with carrots, sticks, or both. I'm not attached to any one proposal at this point, but I think we're onto something with this core idea. I find it compelling.

First of all keep up the work fun pimp's

Don't know if this is the correct place but i do play 7 days alot again sind my upgraded PC. There is one thing still missing in the game.

Lets say "hmmm i'm going to make some bandages"

I go to the my menu and look for bandage, oow i need ductape dont have it. i need to find ductape.

It would be world changing if i could click on the missing part (ductape) and then got the crafting for the ductape.

kind regards

I thing, we should make BM Horde to cumulative over time,[...]So you have to kill them each night, because if you miss they come back stronger...[...]And I think it is fun ...

As said many times before, the game engine can't stand a big number of entities, so that would mean the zombies would literally kill your fps. BM nights would just become veeeeery long/slow.

So at the end, the many Zeds would kill the fun because of lack of performance.

Lets say "hmmm i'm going to make some bandages"

I go to the my menu and look for bandage, oow i need ductape dont have it. i need to find ductape.

It would be world changing if i could click on the missing part (ductape) and then got the crafting for the ductape.

You mean like in Raft ? Yeah, that would be really helpful.

So I think a lot of proposals in recent days are different forms of the same core idea. If you don't put a dent in the Blood Moon zombies, you'll have a bigger zombie problem in the future than you would otherwise. Or conversely if you do go on a killing spree, they're less of a problem for a while. There are a lot of different ways you could implement that, with carrots, sticks, or both. I'm not attached to any one proposal at this point, but I think we're onto something with this core idea. I find it compelling.

It would definitely be an incentive. The question I ask myself is how it would be implemented. Lowering the gamestage would be probably the fastest and easiest way to implement this. However, this might not be so popular amongst the developers.

You do realize every item we add to the game takes up an inventory slot? We have all the minerals we want right now, more would be over design and clog up inventory. Realism is the worst game designer, his ugly little brothers name is over design.

Add more slots :beguiled: Just kidding. I think one thing thats a bit snowed under of all the changes is weapon/tool mods.

I hope there will be many more...? I found myself making it the priority late game to gather them, more than anything else.

Also players on my server seemed to make it their priority when looting. It would be great if there was a bigger variety etc, I think it's a very nice addition to the game and one of the few motivators late game.

Also, the airdrops need some love IMO, they are not worth it after a while..

Similar to what I posted, but I like my idea better where the more kills you score on a BM the chance to drop bags goes up. This method you could let the traps do the work and just make sure to kill the special zed who drops loot and conserve ammo.

Had an idea a while ago related to this as well as airdrops:

I feel like instead of blood moon horde zombies dropping loot, it'd be nice to have players earn a kind of score (could be an invisible number, similar to heatmap mechanics) that builds up based on the type/number of zombies your party kills during the night. Could even have it give different multipliers based on how you killed them, with things like melee kills being the most rewarding for the risk. Then at the end of the night, you get air drops of varying amounts/quality based on performance.

Seems like it could also encourage people who log out at night, or hunker down in some unreachable place to actually participate in a fairly major part of the game.

It'd be like the remaining military forces see you as an asset, and want you to thrive. At least so long as it suits them.

Always seemed weird to me that some mysterious benefactor is dropping valuable supplies seemingly for the zombies/wildlife. :p

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of ballancing this is bad. Imagine for example you're out of luck and are starting up with just a few tools and no weapons. You can't go on a killing spree very easily on the first 7 days, and the horde would hit you unnecessarily hard, so conversely It would be best if we did the opposite and make it so that KILLING alot of zombies would ANGER the HORDE, whilst keeping a low profile would generally lower the risk of getting your ass handed on horde night.

This also means what you have a trade off, either go kill zeds for exp and deal with horde night the harsh way, or earn EXP more passively with other activities. This presents a ballanced risk / reward factor in my opinion.

Which is why I pointed out the flaw, most players couldn't handle it. I could, but I don't make the game based on my own personal wish list, so no worries it won't happen.

It's not about handling it, its about fun gameplay.

You could argue that kinda gameplay would be fun, you'd be wrong, but you could argue it 😁

The new zombie rage feature has been the toughest adaptation I've had to go through from one alpha to another. I'm very curious to read all of your reactions to it. There is always a slight change that must be made to melee each Alpha it seems but this time melee has been turned on its head. I have had to change almost everything about how I engage the zombies because of it.

The other tough thing to adapt to is the new icons because after 5 1/2 years of associating pictures to what they represent and then having those pictures completely change makes it feel like you are playing a different game. My brain is slowly making the transition but the new icons definitely take some getting used to.

I expect that there will be some negative feedback given for these changes because they both are such dramatic departures from what has always been and people don't often like such things until they make the adjustments but I think they are positive changes on the whole and people will end up being happy with them.

How does the rage thing work roland?

Updated again to make it even more clear and noticeable. What about melting Dukes down in the forge for brass? Is that going to make it into A18 or at all? You considered the idea before.

For that reason alone, I would sell much more stuff to the trader.

Archived