Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

So the magic arms arent retracted at all in A18 I assume?

Their retraction is based upon your ping value I'd wager. Ping and zombie arm length have a positive correlation and this is sure to be true of any Alpha or Gold release past present or future.

Their retraction is based upon your ping value I'd wager. Ping and zombie arm length have a positive correlation and this is sure to be true of any Alpha or Gold release past present or future.

Understood, but it seems much worse in A17 than A16 with ping being equal in both scenarios.

Just a gut feeling based on friends reactions, HOW DID IT HIT ME... etc, never heard a complaint during A16

You responded too quickly with that answer. Like you have already been thinking about it for a while.

Remind me to never play on a MP server with you :p

Got the pole already greased up for ya, Gammy!

Wouldn't want it to be an unpleasant blood moon with an ungreased pole.

All these gas/repair kits/BM vehicles/level cap discussions aside, A18 is looking really, really good. Will get my friends to play together when it releases (I got like 5 people to buy the game though I got this game for free because a friend gifted a copy to me(gifted a copy to a friend though), and hopefully our playtogether won't fall out as quick as last time (Mainly it happened because of the performance).

Madmole, do you remember thinking about spawning zombies with dismembered limbs for variety (and to see that biting animation more), plus crawlers being random zombies? I remember you did like the idea.

First time poster:

With that said, GREAT GAME! Seriously.

Played the console, thought it was fun (Buggy) but fun. Saw there were updates to the game on Steam, bought 7dtd on Steam and started playing the 17.4.

WHICH IS AWESOME...some issues but hey its an Alpha..that means subject to change blah, blah.

In comparison to the Console... WAY BETTER.

@Forums folks:

I was wondering the other day MM was talking about loading a new video, but I cannot seem to locate. Would someone be so kind as to post it?

Lastly, i am having a blast with 17 and cannot WAIT for all the changes in 18. Truly.

As an example of the fun MM talks about having in a game:

21st day, BM I am killing zeds with B&A and on a catwalk above the cabin by the small lake in Snow Biome.

Doing great.

Next the zeds knocked out my supports for the catwalk as I am shooting at them, I had to run away from the collapse, jump at the end to get to a supported Cat walk... .FREAKING FANTASTIC!!!!!!…

I talked about that to peeps who are not even GAMERS. That is how cool and geeky that experience was for me.

SO KEEP IT UP TFP!!

People are people, and they will never be happy. Build the game you want, and compromise enough to get others to buy it :)..

Semper FI

Welcome to the forum. Here is your goodie link: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFunPimps

That is the official youtube channel for the FunPimps. Madmole's latest video is his details on the perks system but you will see several A18 videos besides his ranging from an impromptu meet and greet with the staff with Q&A and a few streams recorded by the QA team and Prime, one of the lead programmers.

Great stuff to watch and get informed during the ingame hours of 22:00 to 4:00 if you have a safe place to hide out while watching.... ;)

In my last game I was offered a SMG or 10 medicated bandages and it was a no brainer: 10 medicated bandages thank you.

Thank you for the A18 play info. I can't wait to experience any/all of the new features/changes myself. (I got goosebumps just reading your post...)

And, MadMole, while I know you can tough out the forum non-positivity, remember that there are a FEW of us always lurking in the 'background' (reading every post) who feel this is one of the greatest pre-games ever, and want to experience what YOU (and maybe Faatal or SEAN (Shawn - see I read every post) think a great game would be.

thank you for the a18 play info. I can't wait to experience any/all of the new features/changes myself. (i got goosebumps just reading your post...)

and, madmole, while i know you can tough out the forum non-positivity, remember that there are a few of us always lurking in the 'background' (reading every post) who feel this is one of the greatest pre-games ever, and want to experience what you (and maybe faatal or sean (shawn - see i read every post) think a great game would be.

exactly! Keep it up!

My question too is, i am not sure if this should be posted here or A17 bug forum BUT

What in the hell is up with the spawn bug in multiplayer?

Friends spawn and sometimes they go insta 3rd person and cant move, get out of 3rd person, etc etc and you either hope for a zombie to kill you, log out, or un-friend them and have a buddy kill you? This really sucks when the server host is the one being bugged.

Any fix to that? or am I late to the party and it is fixed in A18 or an work around is already in A17?

The new glancing blow is in so it is included. The issue is that only head shots really have a chance to stun or knockdown an enemy. So if you miss the head but glance the shoulder for some damage thanks to the new feature, yes-- its not a total miss like it would have been so some damage gets done but in terms of dealing with the zombie and trying to avoid getting hit yourself it does nothing. That is the biggest change. I take more hits than ever before which uses up bandages and food etc. When you get a knockdown or a stun you are so happy as it delays the possible speed up and gives you a moment to get ready.

This becomes a critical point, then.

7E228B73F5913B89BF8A6F0C9D5A7F500CB6FF9F

If you swing like this in Alpha 18, does it count as a headshot, as in a 'full' hit with chance for stun or knockdown? Or does it count as a 'glancing the shoulder' body shot despite appearances, without the benefits for headshots?

I feel strongly that this should count as a headshot. I don't see the new sweeping arc system as granting leniency, I see it as adding accuracy. Landing it perfectly in the center could give you some 'critical hit' bonus, but in my humble opinion it shouldn't be necessary to register a headshot.

If the sweeping arcs aren't dependent on glancing blows and I'm worried about nothing, then apologies in advance.

I think these are questions Kinyajuu would probably have to answer as I can’t tell just from the visual and the sound effects. Sometimes my hit hits twice as it sweeps through and I don’t know if one was a body and one a head or if both count as body nor if there is more or less damage assigned.

“Kinyajuu....Kinyajuu....Kinyajuu”

This becomes a critical point, then.

7E228B73F5913B89BF8A6F0C9D5A7F500CB6FF9F

If you swing like this in Alpha 18, does it count as a headshot, as in a 'full' hit with chance for stun or knockdown? Or does it count as a 'glancing the shoulder' body shot despite appearances, without the benefits for headshots?

I feel strongly that this should count as a headshot. I don't see the new sweeping arc system as granting leniency, I see it as adding accuracy. Landing it perfectly in the center could give you some 'critical hit' bonus, but in my humble opinion it shouldn't be necessary to register a headshot.

If the sweeping arcs aren't dependent on glancing blows and I'm worried about nothing, then apologies in advance.

this. Make it so that when it aligns, it is a "crit" and if it doesnt align but is still obviously hitting the head, it should be a normal headswing.

The new glancing blow is in so it is included. The issue is that only head shots really have a chance to stun or knockdown an enemy. So if you miss the head but glance the shoulder for some damage thanks to the new feature, yes-- its not a total miss like it would have been so some damage gets done but in terms of dealing with the zombie and trying to avoid getting hit yourself it does nothing. That is the biggest change. I take more hits than ever before which uses up bandages and food etc. When you get a knockdown or a stun you are so happy as it delays the possible speed up and gives you a moment to get ready.

That is one of the big differences between A18 and all the previous alphas for me. After some slight adaptation for new ranges or timing I always got back to the point where I almost never took a hit in combat. Now I take hits. It doesn't happen in every engagement but it happens daily and that is a drain on medical resources including food AND a big dinner bell to all nearby vultures I might add.

In my last game I was offered a SMG or 10 medicated bandages and it was a no brainer: 10 medicated bandages thank you.

Good to hear to be honest. Zeds never have been much or a threat, particularly when they are walking. This sounds like there is a lot more risk now.

And, MadMole, while I know you can tough out the forum non-positivity, remember that there are a FEW of us always lurking in the 'background' (reading every post) who feel this is one of the greatest pre-games ever, and want to experience what YOU (and maybe Faatal or SEAN (Shawn - see I read every post) think a great game would be.

I see what you did there :tickled_pink:

Definitely. The rage feature is sure to result in some rage quitting when coupled with network lag...lol.

At least until (and if) people adapt.

I know that I always get hit more at first going to a server game after having played SP for awhile. There is definitely a learning curve to compensating for network lag.

What is this zombie rage thing your talking about?

What is this zombie rage thing your talking about?

From the OP

"+ When wounded, zombies will randomly speed up for a short time."

Zeds 'rage' when hit now adding some needed variance in zeds combat technique.

From the OP

"+ When wounded, zombies will randomly speed up for a short time."

Zeds 'rage' when hit now adding some needed variance in zeds combat technique.

Oh, is that all? And I was thinking that it was going to be hard. lol

Thanks. FA_Q2.

lol

Thank you to QzHawkeye.

So, no more kiting. That's fine. There are other ways to dodge a zombie. lol

Believe me, I know. ;)

I would love to see some animation in the Traders of 7D2D.

Seeing them move there head or arms or shifting there weight from one foot to the other, lean forward or back.

Even pick there noses if you wish.

Having them walk around would be even better.

I just wish that the traders would move around a bit and not stand there.

Archived