madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

From the OP

"+ When wounded, zombies will randomly speed up for a short time."

Zeds 'rage' when hit now adding some needed variance in zeds combat technique.

Hmmm. Dont know if I like this or not.

Depends on other alpha 18 balancing. Also depends on the % chance of the enrage. We rarely one shot zombies. So we could be dealing with sprinting zombie quite often.

Would be unfair to have zombies set to walk during the day just to have then sprinting all the time anyway. Maybe tie the rage % chance to gamestage?

Don’t tell the traders how to play the game. They might like standing there. Not everyone likes moving around and picking their nose.

I speak for the Tree...aders

But they look like cardboard cutouts! They don't even move there mouth when they speak. You would have more interaction at a drive though, talking to one of those robots. You know, the ones that they used in the 80's.

Speaking of which, it's really weird when Trader Joel try's talking to you when your (under) the tree house.

Traders play the game!!! What play??? lol

Since when is just standing around playing?

I'd get more play with a wall. At least I can bounce a ball off of that.

I think your confused. ;)

I speak for the enter-actors.

Depends on other alpha 18 balancing. Also depends on the % chance of the enrage. We rarely one shot zombies. So we could be dealing with sprinting zombie quite often.

Would be unfair to have zombies set to walk during the day just to have then sprinting all the time anyway. Maybe tie the rage % chance to gamestage?

If the rage thing is simple to mod it would be cool to be able to speed it up, slow it down, make it happen less or more often, hopefully it is not brain surgery.

this combined with infection gives a real incentive to use your bow more often -> uses up feathers more quickly -> makes you choose between safety and ressource management.

I really like this. It makes close combat not such a mindnumbingly easy affair. Close combat should always pose a risk to you.

THIS is a meaningful choice. "safety vs ressource"

But if melee is just "backpaddle and play whacka(mad)mole" then there is no choice. Why waste arrows when this is so much more efficient.

I personally love this, even if the chance is 50%. Gives even more incentive to either stay at a distance or get the "know down" skill early.

If this is also is in raft then yeah, but i dont like to scroll klick and search all the time.

In Raft this works like this, if you need e.g. rope for a recipe but you have no rope in the inventory, then you can click on the rope icon to make ropes if you have the necessary material for ropes in your inventory. You don't have to go to the recipe for ropes to make ropes.

Based on your example you would have to have glue and cloth in your inventory to make duct tape by clicking on the duct tape symbol.

I really like this. It makes close combat not such a mindnumbingly easy affair. Close combat should always pose a risk to you.

With radioactive and feral zombies, close combat is always a risk in my opinion. In any case, it's a greater risk than simply targeting the zombies with the SMG/AK-47 and pulling the trigger.

In A17 I always specialize first in strength because the early game is about being able to mine resources efficiently. Then melee is the obvious method to fight with the zombies.

My consumption of healing bandages is already very high. That's why I have a garden. With the rage this consumption will surely increase even more. I need a bigger garden :D

+100 to game staged loot on horde night would do it IMO. Lucky looter on steroids during the blood moon, and increase chance to drop.

Interesting. So instead of punishing the player, rewarding them for their bravery.

An idea is to have traders discount if you kill a specific number of zeds on horde night; or have them gift you a special quest or item; or reputation bonuses, when the reputation system comes.

So I think a lot of proposals in recent days are different forms of the same core idea. If you don't put a dent in the Blood Moon zombies, you'll have a bigger zombie problem in the future than you would otherwise. Or conversely if you do go on a killing spree, they're less of a problem for a while. There are a lot of different ways you could implement that, with carrots, sticks, or both. I'm not attached to any one proposal at this point, but I think we're onto something with this core idea. I find it compelling.

This effect shouldn't last to the next bloodmoon though

1) Players who barely manage to stave off a BM horde or get overwhelmed get an even bigger horde in the next BM while players who are already not challenged enough get even less zombies.

2) Players who skip building a base for the first bloodmoons get an especially hard horde on their first BM when their base might have still some unresolved design-problems.

I go to the my menu and look for bandage, oow i need ductape dont have it. i need to find ductape.

It would be world changing if i could click on the missing part (ductape) and then got the crafting for the ductape.

++

This is by far the best time saver the GUI could get.

If I'm not mistaken, the rage mode is already built into the BorderlandZ mod. Therefore you should know the principle.

However, in the BorderlandZ Mod you play with firearms most of the time.

With radioactive and feral zombies, close combat is always a risk in my opinion. In any case, it's a greater risk than simply targeting the zombies with the SMG/AK-47 and pulling the trigger.

In A17 I always specialize first in strength because the early game is about being able to mine resources efficiently. Then melee is the obvious method to fight with the zombies.

My consumption of healing bandages is already very high. That's why I have a garden. With the rage this consumption will surely increase even more. I need a bigger garden :D

Yet I go for the int and sneaky with bows to start. Enough str to mine some, but I want my forge quickly, mostly to get iron arrowheads and repair the tools I loot.

You can do the melee, I'll asplode their heads from a distance.

(infantry vs artillery. me arty) me blow you up from long way away. :D

(both methods work, all a matter of taste and style)

Yet I go for the int and sneaky with bows to start. Enough str to mine some, but I want my forge quickly, mostly to get iron arrowheads and repair the tools I loot.

You can do the melee, I'll asplode their heads from a distance.

(infantry vs artillery. me arty) me blow you up from long way away. :D

(both methods work, all a matter of taste and style)

Nuke them from space, only way to be sure :)

They only speed up for about 3 or 4 seconds and then return to their base speed. It’s just a quick boost to speed and I believe the chance is like 35%.

It’s enough to mess up your rhythm as I described but it won’t fill your world with running zombies.

this combined with infection gives a real incentive to use your bow more often -> uses up feathers more quickly -> makes you choose between safety and ressource management.

THIS is a meaningful choice. "safety vs ressource"

But if melee is just "backpaddle and play whacka(mad)mole" then there is no choice. Why waste arrows when this is so much more efficient.

I personally love this, even if the chance is 50%. Gives even more incentive to either stay at a distance or get the "know down" skill early.

I find melee plenty challenging. I get hit all the time. Un needed addition. Just play always run in your game.

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm not mistaken, the rage mode is already built into the BorderlandZ mod. Therefore you should know the principle.

However, in the BorderlandZ Mod you play with firearms most of the time.

Yup. Borderlands mod gives you awesome weapons and then puts in rage mode. Alpha 18? Jurys out but i dont see any buffs to weapons to make up for this.

This is all based on me not playing a18 yet. So we will see.

They only speed up for about 3 or 4 seconds and then return to their base speed. It’s just a quick boost to speed and I believe the chance is like 35%.

It’s enough to mess up your rhythm as I described but it won’t fail your world with running zombies.

This is all gut reaction from someone who has not played alpha 18 yet. With that being said.

3-4 seconds is an eternity in this game and can mean death. You yourself have stated this is going to be a big deal.

I say this is un needed. I get hit all the time with melee in alpha 17. I take a good amount of damage already and use my fair share of healing bandages.

High level pois are already pointless because of the ammo we have to use. Rage mode will only make it worse.

Again this is rage mode in a17. I'm sure balance will be done for rage mode in a18.

Just putting my thoughts out there.

but those are running already. This only changes early game zombies to not just be cannon fodder. All the other special Z's already run. Maybe they get even faster? That would be great!

And yes they are a threat in swarm... but with a fully powered sledgehammer, they don't pose THAT big of a risk (playing on insane, if they hit you you lose 80-120 hp) since one heavy swing means they all fall on their arses :D

- - - Updated - - -

I find melee plenty challenging. I get hit all the time. Un needed addition. Just play always run in your game.

Don't want to say "get gud" :p

But when you have trouble meleeing... maybe switch to the bow/crossbow? Or try out the sledgehammer. Greater reach and longer winduptime mean its easier to hit without getting hit. Also it packs more of a punch making them fall over more often, meaning "revengehits" are less likely.

It’s enough to mess up your rhythm as I described but it won’t fill your world with running zombies.

I like that, as A17 is almost completely predicable. A18 sounds one step closer to "Black Summer", now just add where you have to do a headshot unless you want to unload a whole clip to kill one. :)

but those are running already. This only changes early game zombies to not just be cannon fodder. All the other special Z's already run. Maybe they get even faster? That would be great!

And yes they are a threat in swarm... but with a fully powered sledgehammer, they don't pose THAT big of a risk (playing on insane, if they hit you you lose 80-120 hp) since one heavy swing means they all fall on their arses :D

- - - Updated - - -

Don't want to say "get gud" :p

But when you have trouble meleeing... maybe switch to the bow/crossbow? Or try out the sledgehammer. Greater reach and longer winduptime mean its easier to hit without getting hit. Also it packs more of a punch making them fall over more often, meaning "revengehits" are less likely.

That's fine. But I think I'm a pretty good player. We are both just arguing for a change from our point of view. And I'd wager I'm more near the majority of players than you are. I guess I dont expect you to care about that. You want the game that's most fun for you and thats cool. I'm just pointing out that in my very humble opinion you are the 1%. I will always advocate for changes for the majority.

I'm just pointing out that in my very humble opinion you are the 1%. I will always advocate for changes for the majority.

Is your opinion based on something? Have you conducted a poll? Made a survey? Link? Or is it solely based on your personal bias?

This will hopefully breath some life into combat. But much more could be done to make zombies more organic. Small random default speed deviations, random stumbling, random getting up time, random animations using the bite animation as well, with a slightly different hitbox etc.

Whether the already running zombies increase in speed or not we will see then. Once they've fixed the speed, the zombies should generally run faster. Compared to A16 zombies run in slow motion in A17.

In any case it will be a change to which the players have to adapt first.

I prefer the club. The sledgehammer is too slow and misses its target too often in A17. Let's see how this will be in A18.

One perk I've underestimated so far is "Flurry of Blows". Very helpful when you're dealing with a lot of zombies at once.

Devs should keep in mind how potentially difficult a18 is shaping up to be for new players. A good challenge to this community spells incredibly difficult for noobs just learning the ropes. Inclusion of infection alone in a18 will change combat dramatically not to mention rage bursts. Very excited for these challenges but throw a bone to the noobs at least the first few days.

That's fine. But I think I'm a pretty good player. We are both just arguing for a change from our point of view. And I'd wager I'm more near the majority of players than you are. I guess I dont expect you to care about that. You want the game that's most fun for you and thats cool. I'm just pointing out that in my very humble opinion you are the 1%. I will always advocate for changes for the majority.

I do know that not everybody enjoys higher risk/challenge. And that is okay.

I wasn't arguing for more challenge... well... not primarily.

I like it because it mixes up the melee combat. RN it is just "walk back and play whacka(mad)mole" even if you get hit a lot it is still one dimensional. With you beeing slower and them randomly beeing able to run, this should mix up this monotone combat.

Maybe the charging bull perk will finally be usefull, since you do more damage, therefor having a higher chance to kill/stun and not proccing the rage.

I see no real downside to this change. Since they are not undead zombies, but human zombies, its not a lorebreaker and if you dislike it, there is 6 difficulties to chose (and it will probably be an optional feature like the BM horde).

What would your argument against this be, if I may ask. Do you just not like it? Is it to hard? Are you just not liking running zombies?

I really can't think of any good reason, so this is an honest question.

I do know that not everybody enjoys higher risk/challenge. And that is okay.

I wasn't arguing for more challenge... well... not primarily.

I like it because it mixes up the melee combat. RN it is just "walk back and play whacka(mad)mole" even if you get hit a lot it is still one dimensional. With you beeing slower and them randomly beeing able to run, this should mix up this monotone combat.

Maybe the charging bull perk will finally be usefull, since you do more damage, therefor having a higher chance to kill/stun and not proccing the rage.

I see no real downside to this change. Since they are not undead zombies, but human zombies, its not a lorebreaker and if you dislike it, there is 6 difficulties to chose (and it will probably be an optional feature like the BM horde).

What would your argument against this be, if I may ask. Do you just not like it? Is it to hard? Are you just not liking running zombies?

I really can't think of any good reason, so this is an honest question.

I love challenge, the only thing im concerned about here is when u are the client in direct connect the zombies already have magical reaching arms , i know that the internet has lag but its much worse in A17 than A16.. This new rage when combined with lag is gonna feel horrible for clients unless net code or whatever the correct term is, is optimized.

For clients its going to seem like 1 second a zombie is 20 feet way, then the next second it takes damage speeds up makes it to 10 feet away then magically hits you due to net code/lag or whatever is causing this to be much worse, since A17.

Devs should keep in mind how potentially difficult a18 is shaping up to be for new players. A good challenge to this community spells incredibly difficult for noobs just learning the ropes. Inclusion of infection alone in a18 will change combat dramatically not to mention rage bursts. Very excited for these challenges but throw a bone to the noobs at least the first few days.

I am having trouble imagining how a new player would have difficulty of adjusting with the starter protection buffs at the easiest settings. Besides, being a "new" player is nothing more than a short transitional state. Other than the need to convey information in a better way, most players I've introduced the game to, were more likely to be bored from a lack of urgency than get frustrated by dying a couple of times.

Archived