Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Whatever happened to 'dead is dead' mode?

I really enjoy the suspense of playing a game where everything is lost if you mess up once. At the moment I just quit/delete the save and restart, but it'd be awesome if the game just facepalmed you instantly back into the main menu without having to manually do it after being forced to wait out the whole respawn thing.

@Faatal

The new commands - I am thrilled to report after playing until 3AM thinking it was midnight - helped tremendously. I have not been in a desert biome yet in my playthrough, but I can say the burnt forest biome is still taxing. But, I get between 28 - 35 FPS when mountains are in view in the burnt areas, and up to 50 when it's just flat ground in my view. I am now in the ~60 range indoors, 50 - 60(holy mackerel!) in outdoor snow biomes, and 40 in grassland/forest areas outdoors. Granted, again, potato settings, but man the game looks great even on those settings lol.

For reference: I used gfx st budget ; gfx af / dt / pp set to 0 ; and I played with gfx st at 450 -- not sure if that did anything or not.

For fun note, I almost bit the dust that night. I just got done looting a poi and was taking my heavy armor off to get running and heard a dog, then 2. I spun around with my spear to see many dogs. I threw my spear into the gut of one of them then saw two zombie bears behind them. I pulled out my smg and noped out anyway spinting my ass off. Luckily, one of the zombie dogs must have been a good boy in the previous life, for he found me with my level 5 modded spear sticking out his side haha. Got it back. Good times.

BTW @Madmole , I think high performance running shoes needs to be mildly nerfed, at 2 ranks of Cadio and the shoes on my stamina doesn't drain, at all. But, they may be rare to get so who knows. I get lucky sometimes.

Day 14 Blood Moon was a blast. My first play it was a bit boring but this one was great. It lasted til about 3am which is the longest one yet. Dogs and all. Here is my horde base for it.

A18.0_2019-10-12_16-18-42.thumb.jpg.f6b26ba9b5c386e3cb605b7756bdb5ae.jpg

The most primitive ♥♥♥♥ ever i know but I dont ever build anything cheese. I build as if it were reality because that is the challenge for me. Going to start building up and upgrading it now, with a tower. The machine gun is BEAST though. Used up all the rounds but it was amazing. Going to start perking into it now.

I know I am usually on the negative side, but I had to let you know my experience with horde night. Ive been disappointed with it, but this one was damn fun and exciting. A18 keeps surprising me.

Moving on to b143 now and wiping. Look forward to an all new experience.

Been lurking here a long time; I’d like to share my thoughts on A18.

(TL;DR - Great alpha, please add more customisable game options rather than needing to go to xml, such as starting gamestage)

I think in terms of gameplay the game has never been better. Looting is a lot of fun, (though a little overpowered early game) combat is more diverse, building bases is a whole lot smarter and optimisation really came through (pending on incoming performance patch). There is a lot of good to come out of A18 so congratulations FP and thank you for an awesome game.

I’ve been reading through what others have said and some things I find myself agreeing on.

Firstly I’ll say for new players or players who aren’t that great at the game, the gamestaging is great and well balanced, early game is very forgiving and rewarding, while the real challenge lies many hours ahead giving ample time to prepare.

For your veteran fans or people who are more skilled at the game, this challenge (I feel) comes a little too late. @madmole I’ve seen you mention around day 42 things will reallly pick up and get harder. I’m sure that figure may fluctuate depending on the player and GS but let’s use that figure for now. I assume most people play 1 hour days. That’s obviously 42 hours of gameplay until you are going to be challenged. That’s a pretty big time commitment to put in in my opinion and possibly why I’ve seen many finding it too easy and getting bored.

You may say crank up the difficulty, and I hear you. I can see in the xml it accelerates gamestage, but it also makes zombies tanks, and pumping 10 headshots with a nicely stated ak is a cheap way of making the game more difficult and less fun.

In conclusion: there is not ever one type of player. What I’d really like to see and believe it would solve a lot of problems regarding difficulty is to add more customisable options in the game setup itself. Perhaps an option to start on a specific gamestage (default 0, 10, 25, 50). Yeah we can change in the xml but it’s a lot easier and simpler if it had the option directly in the game.

I have a few more thoughts but this post is already too long, maybe I’ll share another time.

Thank you again FP for the work you all have put in, I am enjoying more than any other alpha so far.

Wouldn't turning up the frequency of the bloodmoons solve the problem for you? It would make it more challenging sooner.

And one more thing: how are zombies supposed to know, there is a hole on the opposite side of the building? way out of their line of sitght...

The individual zombie doesn't know but they tend to herd together so when the zombies ahead of him start moving, he follows. It's like that in most zombie shows I've watched.

Day 14 Blood Moon was a blast. My first play it was a bit boring but this one was great. It lasted til about 3am which is the longest one yet. Dogs and all. Here is my horde base for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29656[/ATTACH]

The most primitive ♥♥♥♥ ever i know but I dont ever build anything cheese. I build as if it were reality because that is the challenge for me. Going to start building up and upgrading it now, with a tower. The machine gun is BEAST though. Used up all the rounds but it was amazing. Going to start perking into it now.

I know I am usually on the negative side, but I had to let you know my experience with horde night. Ive been disappointed with it, but this one was damn fun and exciting. A18 keeps surprising me.

Moving on to b143 now and wiping. Look forward to an all new experience.

I love it, less is more!!! That is probably too open for my current build but perhaps I will give that a go in a future play through. 😁

Maybe the knife could have a slash power attack.

@Madmole.. if the machete could use the slash power attack as well.

Man, I used to live for a machete... now I have so much more fun toys to play with I haven;t even bothered considering one.

(Oh, and wouldn't you know it, looted a crucible right after the update that had some steel drops added.)

Day 46 horde night was GREAT! I'm going to have to add either blade or dart trap defenses though to thin the herd.

I read farm boxes can't be gotten with the shovel anymore.. can we still move them within our land claim? (I was thinking for rearranging farm beds once you have a decent amount.

Madmole, is healing others working? I just used 2 bandages on my wife and it didn't raise her max health at all. (gave me XP tho)

Nice! I usually just give money to my wife. Or flowers. Or rocks. I have the strange feeling she doesnt really appreciate those though.

I'm naked when I start the game.. by the time I finish playing I'm still naked. More skid marks on this chair than at the Indy 500

xD dude.. i can't even.. xD

- - - Updated - - -

That just left a horrible visual in my mind.

I think it left a horrible visual somewhere else as well..

Speaking of...

I never gave this much thought until now. In my current game by chance I built 300km away from a trader. It turns out that the trader has a working forge, a working workbench, a working chem station, and a working cement mixer. Basically a jackpot. I would have never said it before, but I am thinking maybe all of these stations should be broken and if you want to use them, you can fix them.

I know I just got lucky, at least in the eyes of players who like this sort of thing. Its the first time I have ever had this happen... but I can't help but feel like a big part of the game has just been taken away from me. I know a lot of people are going to get on me for making this statement and suggestion, but please try to see this from the perspective of someone who enjoys the survival aspect of the game.

You got lucky. Accept that luck or don’t. If using them ruining the game for you don’t use them. The game should never be balanced around a player’s lack of impulse control.

Bringing up some older thoughts here...

I do want to make generic mud and blood covered walking dead like zombies for the hordes. Special ones you never see, and leave the distinguished ones out of horde night. I always felt it was immersion breaking to see cheerleaders and football players in hordes just for the sake of variety. In the walking dead no one zombie stands out, they are all kind of the same and that is how I want our hordes to be. We could save memory and performance doing this as we could instantiate more of the same model.

I think this is an excellent idea and I've been imagining this since you brought it up months ago.

A few zombies models like this where you cannot easily differentiate between them unless up close, maybe even with a very dumb, inexpensive AI... but not to replace the existing zombies we see in hordes fully, but more as a filler to give everybody the larger horde sizes they want while also breaking up that weird feeling you get when you see a group of the same zombie type.

I'm not just speaking for the blood moon horde, but especially for wandering hordes. They could even be very weak and decrepit, taking only one or two hits to kill regardless of your level. They would be 0 challenge by themselves, but they would still be contributors to the group zombie damage buff, they would distract players from the real threat (the current zombies), and perhaps at times get in the way of the player trying to target those current zombies. In effect, all current zombies become special.

Is the Landclaimblock not working anymore for protection against other players ? Filed a bug report but i do wonder no one made the same experience (dedicated Server).

As far as i know:

-Landclaimblock prevents zombies spawning in the area and also prevents other people raiding your base instantly.

-sleeping bag provides the respawn point

Did anything change there ?

You got lucky. Accept that luck or don’t. If using them ruining the game for you don’t use them. The game should never be balanced around a player’s lack of impulse control.

This thought process is in the same category as arguments against previously resolved or current issues:

... if you don't like that you can just walk backwards and swing at zombies and you'll never get hit, then don't walk backwards. (resolved by rage mode)

... if you don't like that digging down three blocks and placing a frame on your head allows you to avoid all zombies, then don't do it (resolved by digging zombies)

... if you don't like that the AI can be cheesed during horde night, don't play horde night. (an ongoing effort with constant improvements)

... if you don't like that there is no challenge on horde night because someone can just get on a bike, then just don't get on a bike (an ongoing effort).

Playing pretend on this level is too much unless you live in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

None of the arguments like that solve the problem of something happening in the game that defeats the purpose of the game itself.

Archived