Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Congratulations with a very good A18 experimental! After 1-2 years break from the game, it's really fun to play, and you've made alot of brilliant changes and additions to the game.

This is perfect. I'm about to start a new server, and I've always wanted to try to play a game which is alittle more action-packed. So here I can increase the number of world-zombies.

I want a game where I can blast away with guns, but to balance that, there would be a lot of zombies running around everywhere.

Is there a way to specifically increase the ammo drop/loot?

Yes, this is exactly what I do. I specifically bump up the amounts possible of specific ammos. I don't crank them all up - Usually just the base ammo types. I also bump up how much can be purchased from the Traders as well of specific types. That way, more ammo to balance the extra zombies, but not having to bump up the base looting percentages.

loot.xml

I just bump up the second number so 3,5 goes to 3,15 so you can get up to 15 shells, etc.

budget is the streaming texture budget. By default it is 4096, which is in MB and the max it can be. Changing options right now forces it back to the default, but I'm removing that and the default will probably be based on VRAM amount. WIP.

forceload makes streaming mipmaps all load. I have not even tested that yet. Thought it might be useful.

help what are the requirements now to run alpha 18 I have a fx6350 16 gig ram n 1050ti 4gig graphics card my rig ran alpha 17.4 brilliant 60.70 fps now outdoors I get 10 to 7 fps indoors 60 to 70 fps with using the fx gf 0 in console cammand I get a 40 fps boost but texture look blured what quality settings should my rig run this game at now any help is appreciated thank you

None. Its fine to walk a couple of weeks. Buy the bicycle perk if you want it faster. I think its fine, people need to remember the days where there was no vehicles at all. I find schematics all the time, and parts. This last game I bought the handlebars on the first week (2nd reset) and got the frame on day 14 I think. Then I had to wrench cars to get an engine and battery with the latter causing me the most grief but I finally got one and built my bike at the end of day 15 morning of 16.

Remember its still random and there are good games and bad games. We can't weight it to be christmas every day or there is no challenge and no creative thinking to work around. I had one game where my first vehicle was a motorcycle. It all could have been avoided by buying the bicycle perk which has ridiculously low requirements, but I wanted to tough it out and save my points.

I found a mini bike at my trader on day 2 for 7000 dukes. That is very reasonable and definitely can get that doing a few quests and selling stuff.

im slowly starting to like the new food system!

and im loving everything about A18

granted it could a bit more performance nut thats what potato mode is for.

my only kinda "issue" is with a blade/knife build. i think its too slow, im my mind the knife should have low raw damage , low range but a fast "Damage per second" not counting bleed

Dude we have to give new players a chance. They should start to last all night by day 35 to 42 from my experience, but like I said we give the player some intentional success, then ramp things up and repeat but by day 100 it gets quite nasty and time management starts to kick your ass trying to get enough bullets to survive the next horde.

Honestly the first horde night I rarely fight; usually just hole up somewhere high and "impenetrable." When I do start to fight on the horde night, it's more an issue of "how many at once" and not "how many total."

Have you considered, for early game, throttling the rate of appearance instead of the max quantity? Not max-alive, mind you, but how quickly max-alive is arrived at. Or scale rate of appearance by gamestage, until you are throwing zombies at the players as fast as they can destroy them at the highest levels. Just spitballing...

-A

Day 5, going to throw together a meager horde base for the Day 7 BM. I am going to try a design I've used in the past with a couple of modifications. Will see how it works out. Will try to record if my FPS allows me to lol...wish me luck...

(Ignore the POI house on the bottom right. That's the POI I've built a camp on its roof...lol)

I4vqL33.jpg

Madmole, have you ever thought about putting in powered up abilities in the game? Example. You kill zombies to fill up a bar and once the bar is full you can unleash an overpowered attack. Each attribute at lvl 10 could unlock it's own special ability. I mean, it's been before a ton of other games, but I thought it could be fun in 7DTD.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the knife could have a slash power attack.

A quick triple stabby combo.

The issue with turning up the game stage is that it turns up the loot quality. Are you speaking POI looting or blood moons being too easy until day 42, or everything being too easy? We did make adventurer default difficulty to help ease players into the game, for it to feel more like 16 or 17 in difficulty put it on nomad, they are not bullet sponges at all.

We are talking about a blood moon size option so people can have blood moons all night if they want earlier game, and potentially a zombie count outdoors but that might take more optimizations to achieve.

IMO the solution is to lower the quality of loot you get with game stages so players are only getting brown from level 1-10, orange 10-20, etc etc so you don't even sniff a purple until level 60. Then crafting would come back in full force IMO.

While I like this idea (quite a lot actually), I would hope that in practice it's a bit more organic than that, with a rare (say, 0.1% chance) to get two tiers up, and a not-impossible say 2-4% chance to get a single tier up (maybe scaling with level?) and the same thing at the other end (lower tier loot).

This would keep the feeling of that wow find to some extent, and while there would still be plenty of loot out there, it would still help it FEEL like loot was scarce. Figuring out the impact of Lucky Looter on that would be interesting, but that's going to be the case with any sort of quality restriction. And it would certainly make the crafting feel more useful at lower game levels.

And you can't shovel them up any more. Big farms are earned, not a day 1 loot opportunity.

Totally understand that.... but could you make them so that the ones you do craft can be picked up? At least then you could rearrange the ones you have.

One thing I have noticed, not sure if intended or a bug, but the treasure quests?

Kinda easy when you turn one in, take another, and it send back to.... yup, the place you just dug up.

heh.

I really DO like how you get those very close to the trader now. Running 2km for a quest on 60min days, means starting at daybreak and hope you get back before dark. (there are some of those, but ...)

The RWG never fails to impress. This probably the only game I can think of that has such a complex real world landscape generator for its core game.

I mean I do own Empyrion and NoMansSky but there world generation (although great) consists of Alien landscapes and you can get away with the weird and funky and its a lot more difficult to make *realistic* earth like landscapes in my mind.

Reminds me of the day when I used to marvel at Vista Pro landscape generator... :)

I notice in game when I transfer the landscape as it did in A17 (it was bad in A17 though) I get a micro pause randomly which I imagine its either the background garbage cleaning or the spawning of zombies in POI ?.

I am not stressing anything from my system right now, options are maxed but memory on gpu is only at 57%. CPU cores approx 70% used.

Is there anything I can do to eradicate this pause ?, its not game breaking but I have to ask.

I love the mountains tall and small the landscape overall in rwg just feels awesome there may be the little odd road bump or 2 but rwg terrain= absolutely beautiful

its kinda hard for me to find cuz i have to run the game on quarter! lol

but its still fun

- - - Updated - - -

i call cheat... destroy map and start new one. :) now... loan me that horse shoe please

ill fight you for that shoe

Archived