Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The issue with turning up the game stage is that it turns up the loot quality. Are you speaking POI looting or blood moons being too easy until day 42, or everything being too easy? We did make adventurer default difficulty to help ease players into the game, for it to feel more like 16 or 17 in difficulty put it on nomad, they are not bullet sponges at all.

We are talking about a blood moon size option so people can have blood moons all night if they want earlier game, and potentially a zombie count outdoors but that might take more optimizations to achieve.

IMO the solution is to lower the quality of loot you get with game stages so players are only getting brown from level 1-10, orange 10-20, etc etc so you don't even sniff a purple until level 60. Then crafting would come back in full force IMO.

I haven't played A18, but the impression I got from that post is that while starting easy and slowly ramping up the difficulty is great for first-time players, that difficulty curve is less popular among veterans.

Over multiple playthroughs, I'd prefer a survival game to be a hectic scramble at the beginning that slowly drops off until I can stop worrying about short-term threats and progress onto longer-term ones. The early game is shorter, which means it can potentially have more intense challenges than mid-late game without the risk of burning players out.

Has there been any Official word on if TFP are working this weekend?

I'm one of those unable to play due to the white flashing wireframe texture bug; apparently tied to AMD Radeon GPUs.

(if someone has found a fix please share! but otherwise I've already tried new cmds, reinstall, etc.)

Speaking of...

I never gave this much thought until now. In my current game by chance I built 300km away from a trader. It turns out that the trader has a working forge, a working workbench, a working chem station, and a working cement mixer. Basically a jackpot. I would have never said it before, but I am thinking maybe all of these stations should be broken and if you want to use them, you can fix them.

I know I just got lucky, at least in the eyes of players who like this sort of thing. Its the first time I have ever had this happen... but I can't help but feel like a big part of the game has just been taken away from me. I know a lot of people are going to get on me for making this statement and suggestion, but please try to see this from the perspective of someone who enjoys the survival aspect of the game.

But you cant use them all the time, and would have to build the base right next to the trader.

You pay for convenience - having your own workstations.

I could imagine that one has to pay a fee to use the workstations though.

But you cant use them all the time, and would have to build the base right next to the trader.

You pay for convenience - having your own workstations.

I could imagine that one has to pay a fee to use the workstations though.

Yes, I do lose that convenience. So, of course I will eventually just build new ones at base. However, the daily routine of pulling all my goods out and filling them back up isn't hard at all to follow, especially since I will be going there all the time anyway.

I'm all for luck and accepting the fate of RNG, but this was just too much. Perhaps the issue is that it is possible for a single trader to even have all 4 stations to begin with?

Do you have to find a book to build a forge or can you put a point into it? If so what do i need to put a point into to get it?

Under INT , it's a perk 1st level so cost 1 point then you just need the stuff to build it. I did it on day 3 as I still hadn't food a cookpot and really needed one.

This thought process is in the same category as arguments against previously resolved or current issues:

... if you don't like that you can just walk backwards and swing at zombies and you'll never get hit, then don't walk backwards. (resolved by rage mode)

... if you don't like that digging down three blocks and placing a frame on your head allows you to avoid all zombies, then don't do it (resolved by digging zombies)

... if you don't like that the AI can be cheesed during horde night, don't play horde night. (an ongoing effort with constant improvements)

... if you don't like that there is no challenge on horde night because someone can just get on a bike, then just don't get on a bike (an ongoing effort).

Playing pretend on this level is too much unless you live in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

None of the arguments like that solve the problem of something happening in the game that defeats the purpose of the game itself.

Damn I'm impressed, nicely said my dude~! This is by far one of the most solid counter arguements I have heard on this forum.

Whatever happened to 'dead is dead' mode?

I really enjoy the suspense of playing a game where everything is lost if you mess up once. At the moment I just quit/delete the save and restart, but it'd be awesome if the game just facepalmed you instantly back into the main menu without having to manually do it after being forced to wait out the whole respawn thing.

We're not putting effort into something that takes you 2 clicks. We want to do it, I see it mostly having value on servers where it deletes your profile and you respawn as someone else and your land claim goes dead.

A18 - Traders per map?

how many traders should there be on an 8K map

I've seen up to 5, but heard rumors of only 1 are possible, but that was a few weeks ago before some fixes were made. Drive down every dirt road you find to uncover them.

@Faatal

The new commands - I am thrilled to report after playing until 3AM thinking it was midnight - helped tremendously. I have not been in a desert biome yet in my playthrough, but I can say the burnt forest biome is still taxing. But, I get between 28 - 35 FPS when mountains are in view in the burnt areas, and up to 50 when it's just flat ground in my view. I am now in the ~60 range indoors, 50 - 60(holy mackerel!) in outdoor snow biomes, and 40 in grassland/forest areas outdoors. Granted, again, potato settings, but man the game looks great even on those settings lol.

For reference: I used gfx st budget ; gfx af / dt / pp set to 0 ; and I played with gfx st at 450 -- not sure if that did anything or not.

For fun note, I almost bit the dust that night. I just got done looting a poi and was taking my heavy armor off to get running and heard a dog, then 2. I spun around with my spear to see many dogs. I threw my spear into the gut of one of them then saw two zombie bears behind them. I pulled out my smg and noped out anyway spinting my ass off. Luckily, one of the zombie dogs must have been a good boy in the previous life, for he found me with my level 5 modded spear sticking out his side haha. Got it back. Good times.

BTW @Madmole , I think high performance running shoes needs to be mildly nerfed, at 2 ranks of Cadio and the shoes on my stamina doesn't drain, at all. But, they may be rare to get so who knows. I get lucky sometimes.

Poor man's bicycle?

Day 14 Blood Moon was a blast. My first play it was a bit boring but this one was great. It lasted til about 3am which is the longest one yet. Dogs and all. Here is my horde base for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29656[/ATTACH]

The most primitive ♥♥♥♥ ever i know but I dont ever build anything cheese. I build as if it were reality because that is the challenge for me. Going to start building up and upgrading it now, with a tower. The machine gun is BEAST though. Used up all the rounds but it was amazing. Going to start perking into it now.

I know I am usually on the negative side, but I had to let you know my experience with horde night. Ive been disappointed with it, but this one was damn fun and exciting. A18 keeps surprising me.

Moving on to b143 now and wiping. Look forward to an all new experience.

Awesome you had fun. I've had rough starts and great starts so you can't play one character and judge it 100%. This is why I try not to react to feedback too much because generally there are a lot of variables.

What did you do just stand there in that opening and wack them with a club?

@Madmole.. if the machete could use the slash power attack as well.

Man, I used to live for a machete... now I have so much more fun toys to play with I haven;t even bothered considering one.

(Oh, and wouldn't you know it, looted a crucible right after the update that had some steel drops added.)

Day 46 horde night was GREAT! I'm going to have to add either blade or dart trap defenses though to thin the herd.

I read farm boxes can't be gotten with the shovel anymore.. can we still move them within our land claim? (I was thinking for rearranging farm beds once you have a decent amount.

Nope. Maybe in the future we can allow more blocks to have that function, I think its hard coded to the workstations.

Archived