madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Open up spawning.xml and look for:

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="3" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="4" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />/>

Change maxcount to 5, set respawndelay to 1

Thank you! My players may not....but I do! <insert evil laughter here>

I really like A18 and all the changes and new stuff in it and I cannot wait to play with friends on our world.

I have a question tho, since we have A18 experimental, do you know when we can expect A18 stable to be released please ?

No....Not even a target date. “It’s done when it’s done” applies most especially to experimental.

Haven't played in a couple days. It says there's an update. Awesome!!! I click on the "view updates" link in the update box and nothing. Some of us DO read the update info...IF it's provided. Where can I find the info!?!

If you can't find it anywhere else, look in the bug reporting thread for the latest build. It has the change notes.

I think the vehicle perks are problematic. Especially in singleplayer, everyone is kind of forced to invest points to unlock those, as a vehicle is pretty much needed, and there are no reliable alternatives (like finding parts).

At least not without risking having to walk for much longer.

Cant you add the vehicle abilities in alternative versions? Something like a salvaging brach, wich increases the chance to find vehicle schematics in cars, or something like that.

Or in other words. What alternative ways can the game offer to get a bicycle within the first week.

(Quest-reward, purchasable / standard stock at traders)

None. Its fine to walk a couple of weeks. Buy the bicycle perk if you want it faster. I think its fine, people need to remember the days where there was no vehicles at all. I find schematics all the time, and parts. This last game I bought the handlebars on the first week (2nd reset) and got the frame on day 14 I think. Then I had to wrench cars to get an engine and battery with the latter causing me the most grief but I finally got one and built my bike at the end of day 15 morning of 16.

Remember its still random and there are good games and bad games. We can't weight it to be christmas every day or there is no challenge and no creative thinking to work around. I had one game where my first vehicle was a motorcycle. It all could have been avoided by buying the bicycle perk which has ridiculously low requirements, but I wanted to tough it out and save my points.

sorry Fataal, but I've tested it. 3/4 zombies immediately run for the weak block. 1/4 will stick to the first block they encounter FOR a few seconds before most of those 1/4 goes for the weak block too (as it get damage).

As they should. A dog sees a weak spot in the fence and they start digging or chewing on the wood to get out. They don't give up on the weak spot and start digging a new hole, they know that one spot is weak and its their best chance to get through.

so just did day 28 blood moon. I'm level 47, nomad difficulty, game stage was 102 and max alive was 16.

the blood moon lasted till 2:44am. lots of cops, lots of spiders, a few wrights, and about 6 glowing spider zombies.

I had to do repairs on the steel bars since once of the cops exploded and wrecked most of the barb wire I had to slow them down so they got close and beat on the bars but I only had to repair 2 bars throughout the whole event.

I went through 800 rounds of AP 7.62 ammo and about 100 of regular 7.62 ammo. I gained 3 levels and used 3 experience elixirs. I mainly used barb wire fence since it slow's them down a lot and makes getting head shots very easy.

going to make it a habit of streaming this stuff more often.

Awesome.

21 zombies is a small group. I want small groups attacking the same spot. That is why zombies get a group bonus for others near them. You have to break up the group. That is part of the challenge.

You are also testing small obstacles with short paths, so long path randomness is not doing much. You are also testing the same type of zombies, which have similar random intelligence levels, so similar paths.

You need to actually watch blood moons of 100+ zombies with larger bases. BMs rotate the attacks from different directions leading to more variety.

Yes I upgraded to 16 alive and noticed much more variety and I was scrambling to weaken the groups of zeds last night it was awesome on day 14 even.

Congratulations with a very good A18 experimental! After 1-2 years break from the game, it's really fun to play, and you've made alot of brilliant changes and additions to the game.

Open up spawning.xml and look for:

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="3" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="4" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />/>

Change maxcount to 5, set respawndelay to 1

This is perfect. I'm about to start a new server, and I've always wanted to try to play a game which is alittle more action-packed. So here I can increase the number of world-zombies.

I want a game where I can blast away with guns, but to balance that, there would be a lot of zombies running around everywhere.

Is there a way to specifically increase the ammo drop/loot?

Madmole

in all honesty, charismatic nature in sp has no value of any kind, it affects your party members, no you and there is no party in sp. but with they way Intel is built, I dont really have an idea of what to replace it with. or instead of replacing it, give it dual purpose. 1 that affects a party for when in a pary, or one that affects npc's when not in a party. when npcs are in that is

If we get followers it will buff them. I need time to think about it my main goal was to rebalance what we have tight and we're 95% there now. I can cherry pick replace a few dud perks in 19.

On a busy server because of maximum spawns animals are VERY rare. It is just forced gameplay to invest in iron gut.

But I'll try the hunting perk to see if it that works.

Nice move :)

Na, you can do dig quests to get food, and take quests from the trader so that the poi is reset and you are guaranteed "cupboard" loot, and sometimes an in poi functioning vending machine you can buy from, etc.

Plus farming, I mean if you out cook food poisoning you are fine. There is hobo stew as well, no fresh meat required.

Been lurking here a long time; I’d like to share my thoughts on A18.

(TL;DR - Great alpha, please add more customisable game options rather than needing to go to xml, such as starting gamestage)

I think in terms of gameplay the game has never been better. Looting is a lot of fun, (though a little overpowered early game) combat is more diverse, building bases is a whole lot smarter and optimisation really came through (pending on incoming performance patch). There is a lot of good to come out of A18 so congratulations FP and thank you for an awesome game.

I’ve been reading through what others have said and some things I find myself agreeing on.

Firstly I’ll say for new players or players who aren’t that great at the game, the gamestaging is great and well balanced, early game is very forgiving and rewarding, while the real challenge lies many hours ahead giving ample time to prepare.

For your veteran fans or people who are more skilled at the game, this challenge (I feel) comes a little too late. @madmole I’ve seen you mention around day 42 things will reallly pick up and get harder. I’m sure that figure may fluctuate depending on the player and GS but let’s use that figure for now. I assume most people play 1 hour days. That’s obviously 42 hours of gameplay until you are going to be challenged. That’s a pretty big time commitment to put in in my opinion and possibly why I’ve seen many finding it too easy and getting bored.

You may say crank up the difficulty, and I hear you. I can see in the xml it accelerates gamestage, but it also makes zombies tanks, and pumping 10 headshots with a nicely stated ak is a cheap way of making the game more difficult and less fun.

In conclusion: there is not ever one type of player. What I’d really like to see and believe it would solve a lot of problems regarding difficulty is to add more customisable options in the game setup itself. Perhaps an option to start on a specific gamestage (default 0, 10, 25, 50). Yeah we can change in the xml but it’s a lot easier and simpler if it had the option directly in the game.

I have a few more thoughts but this post is already too long, maybe I’ll share another time.

Thank you again FP for the work you all have put in, I am enjoying more than any other alpha so far.

The issue with turning up the game stage is that it turns up the loot quality. Are you speaking POI looting or blood moons being too easy until day 42, or everything being too easy? We did make adventurer default difficulty to help ease players into the game, for it to feel more like 16 or 17 in difficulty put it on nomad, they are not bullet sponges at all.

We are talking about a blood moon size option so people can have blood moons all night if they want earlier game, and potentially a zombie count outdoors but that might take more optimizations to achieve.

IMO the solution is to lower the quality of loot you get with game stages so players are only getting brown from level 1-10, orange 10-20, etc etc so you don't even sniff a purple until level 60. Then crafting would come back in full force IMO.

Rare bug. No dev/tester has been able to reproduce. There is logging for when that happens. Can you post your log file?

This happened to one of my players recently on dedi. I cant be sure this is the exact error, but it was from that sessions dedi logs:

2019-10-05T20:04:59 12731.200 INF Unculling POI mp_waste_bldg_01_tan -504, 53, 376

Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "Entities/Cars/vehicleMotorcycle_3754/GameObject/Player_203/GameObject/Graphics/Model/player_femaleRagdoll/UMA_Female_Rig/Global/Position/Hips/LowerBack/Spine/Spine1/LeftShoulder/LeftArm/LeftForeArm"

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Modules/Physics/Collider.cpp Line: 224)

I agree. Zombies should not know the HP of any block. If a block gets destroyed, and there is an opening, that is when I expect them to move from a non broken block to the gap. "Randomising' zombie behaviour (as Faatal put it) does not fix the problem. None of them should have HP block knowledge. None of them.

Its an abstract. Its cracked and you have to pretend they can see through the crack because adding a 3d crack would get too expensive to render.

Archived