Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I underestimated A18: my save is 24 alive and day 7 horde was kind of meh, lost just 1 cobblestone block, 100 wood spikes and 100 7.62mm rounds; day 14 was huge, 300 spikes (~60 iron spikes), 300 7.62mm rounds and my cage (full reinforced concrete, but 3 floors) invaded. It could be a little bit easier (no molotovs, grenades, etc), but that was intense and a much better experience than that bs A17 pathing exploit.

I play Navezgane and 30 days respawn because I like reduced number of POI's therefore less loot, but I'll definetely change it to 7 days respawn otherwise I won't get enough ammo.

I'm probably just missing something here, but here goes anyway...

Heavy armor is under one attribute, light armor under another, but if you want the extra storage from storage pockets and you aren't spec'ed for one of those two attributes you're at a serious disadvantage it seems.

Somebody enlighten me?

Heavy armor is under one attribute, light armor under another, but if you want the extra storage from storage pockets and you aren't spec'ed for one of those two attributes you're at a serious disadvantage it seems.

Somebody enlighten me?

You can (and should usually) use armor without speccing into those perks. The perks only give you some better movement and let you craft better armor.

My feedback on Alpha 18X

I just had a chance to try out the latest Alpha and wanted to share. I played SP in Navezgane.

It took me awhile to get used to the controls again since I haven't played in months.

I spawned in the burned forest. The graphics are great but things like the stone ax swings seem off somehow. The swings don't seem natural. Got a note from the Duke. Apparently pissed him off, lol.

Found Trader Rex, (nice as ever, lol), I used his base to kill a bear but turns out it was a zombie so it wasn't worth it.

I raided some houses and was getting overwhelmed. The sleepers seemed to come out of nowhere. I got a ways in a house and got jumped by two zombies and tried to get outside but was surprised by another fire zed right in the doorway.

I threw my spear but not used to using it. I dropped it right in front of it. I start punching but was hitting like a girl. I was hardly damaging it, but was getting stunned every time I got hit. Meanwhile, the other two zombies came up from behind and were trying to get me. I managed to get away and kill them but now without losing a lot of health.

I want north and had better luck in the town in the pine forest. Spend the rest of the day gathering crap and see what I could use if for.

I haven't had any problems with the frame rate despite the reports posed here in the forum.

Zombies on fire don't give off light. I can see them on fire but they don't give off any light.

Got to level to, Got a lot of stuff and had fun.

I also like the new icons for items in the game.

The first day was great. I am looking forward to day two. :)

Nope. Maybe in the future we can allow more blocks to have that function, I think its hard coded to the workstations.

Yeah... about that. Is that something that would require a new RWG? Because I came across some today and being the nosy bastard I am, I dug them up. And they came up as farm blocks. Also getting lots of really odd, dupe-like bugs (so far I've had helmet light mod show up in a stack of animal fat, a stack of 7.62 ammo, and a hat that definitely did not have it before).

Beginning to think that keeping the same save with the update might've broken something.

We are not even at 2020 and your already into the future and saying they will still have potatoes in 2030 lol....

Michael j fox wants his delorian back lol

Na, I'm saying my awesome pc I have now will be a potato by 2030. Hopefully before then, I'd like for them to make more progress these next 10 years than the last.

Beginning to think that keeping the same save with the update might've broken something.

Mine is bugged out as well. I'm seeing entire cities of ghost LODs that vanish when you get close, floating/missing POIs where a city used to be, and a tree that mysteriously sprouted inside my base and punched a hole in the roof. I generated a preview map with the same seed after the update (which turned out entirely different) so I don't know if that overwrote some files or if the terrain doesn't like the new build, but either way it seems a restart is in order. The joys of experimental alpha!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1888097683

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1888097760

Night 21. (Note: I play 90 minute days, so this would have been day 30-something on default time settings.) Even this early, that horde night was intense. Spiders, ferals, and cops were everywhere; no signs of dogs though, and few vultures. The horde lasted until well-past 1:00 AM... They just kept coming and coming. There I was, on top of my base, armed with my Level 6 AK, Level 6 M60, and some trusty contact grenades and molotovs, raining hell down upon my foes. I underestimated the size and ferocity of this horde, to say the least. With every wave, I became even more apprehensive at my dwindling ammo supply. I must have expended over 800 7.62 rounds that night, about half of my current ammo supply. I haven't even seen any radiateds yet in my world. I sense dark nights ahead...

It is always highly recommended to start a new game with every update during experimental. This will help minimize potential bugs caused by updating, IMO.

Note: I do not know if this statemeent is supported by TFP but in my own personal experience I find this to be accurate. I take it one step further, for the purpose of bug hunting/reporting, I do a clean uninstall and fresh install every single update lol. ;) It might just be in my head but, I never see half the bugs that get reported and every bug I have ever reported is verified as a bug and confirmed reproduced by one of the QA testers......

Every one of my friends/strangers that contacts me about a potential bug, 9/10 times when I cannot reproduce it. having them do a clean uninstall and fresh install fixes the bug. so kinda why I fully believe one should start a new save every update and do fresh install.....

I underestimated A18: my save is 24 alive and day 7 horde was kind of meh, lost just 1 cobblestone block, 100 wood spikes and 100 7.62mm rounds; day 14 was huge, 300 spikes (~60 iron spikes), 300 7.62mm rounds and my cage (full reinforced concrete, but 3 floors) invaded. It could be a little bit easier (no molotovs, grenades, etc), but that was intense and a much better experience than that bs A17 pathing exploit.

I play Navezgane and 30 days respawn because I like reduced number of POI's therefore less loot, but I'll definetely change it to 7 days respawn otherwise I won't get enough ammo.

I never loot the same POI twice, and I craft most of my ammo.

Somebody enlighten me?

Storage pocket mods are in loot or you can craft them once you find a schematic. All they do is reduce encumbrance, perks don't have anything to do with them.

Night 21. (Note: I play 90 minute days, so this would have been day 30-something on default time settings.) Even this early, that horde night was intense. Spiders, ferals, and cops were everywhere; no signs of dogs though, and few vultures. The horde lasted until well-past 1:00 AM... They just kept coming and coming. There I was, on top of my base, armed with my Level 6 AK, Level 6 M60, and some trusty contact grenades and molotovs, raining hell down upon my foes. I underestimated the size and ferocity of this horde, to say the least. With every wave, I became even more apprehensive at my dwindling ammo supply. I must have expended over 800 7.62 rounds that night, about half of my current ammo supply. I haven't even seen any radiateds yet in my world. I sense dark nights ahead...

Hah you are maybe at half the GS of my video and I had 12 alive, so you are in for a treat. I'd try to stock up to 5k 7.62 just in case. I would put AP in a nice AK with rad remover for the ferals and use regular ammo and the m60 to chew through most zeds and keep both on your belt.

Hah you are maybe at half the GS of my video and I had 12 alive, so you are in for a treat. I'd try to stock up to 5k 7.62 just in case. I would put AP in a nice AK with rad remover for the ferals and use regular ammo and the m60 to chew through most zeds and keep both on your belt.

Checked my gamestage just now; it's 120. I believe it was 110 at the start of the horde. Currently, I am level 50; just maxed out Fortitude.

Luckily, I found 2 Rad Removers while looting, as well as the schematic to craft it. Plus, I found the book that allows me to craft drum magazines. I've yet to find the book that allows me to craft AP 7.62 ammo, though. :/

I currently have 30,000 coal sitting in storage. All I need is a boat load more nitrate, and brass. (I have no need to worry about lead; I have about 50k worth in several veins I found, sitting there, yet to be mined.)

Currently I am sitting at 3,500 7.62 ammo. I'll be spending the next week doing pretty much nothing but car wrenching sessions/brass loot runs. The zombies barely touched my base, only managing to destroy one block, so my base is surely secure for day 28. It's ammo that's my biggest concern right now.

I hope something like security cameras can be added in the future :) . We already have motion sensors but I think it'd be cool if you could like access a camera so you could see an area where you placed it without actually going there. Useful for checking out what's outside without having to actually poke your head out.

Yeah the random worlds all look pretty much the same.

If the method the biome map has to be used cant change, at least they should include several variations of the biomes01.raw, and load a random one from the list.

The files are large, but very easy to compress (down to 210 kb for biomes01.raw). So they don take up that much space.

Poor man's bicycle?

Ahaha! "Why ride when you can run infinitely? Get a pair of Poor Man's Bicycle High-Performance Running Shoes and run without breaking a sweat!"

Side note, loving the new resource nodes and veins underneath them, I only spent maybe half an hour and done what previously would have taken me multiple sessions worth before.

And I exploded two heads with one swing with the steel spear earlier, that was sick.

Referring to something you said a while back, I think highly-disfigured zombies would be great for horde nights to save on vram whilst increasing numbers. Kinda like the old black ops zombies, they looked mildly different but you never batted an eye since they were so bloody/disfigured.

I got to thinking how every game I buy blacksmith because by the time you find a forge schematic in the sea of random books and schematics that come your way its always too late. What if broken workstations had a fair chance to drop a schematic of the specific workstation? I usually keep my manuals near my appliances. Then you loot broken forges to find forge schematics. Broken cement mixers for those, etc.

What if the distribution of your loot tables regarding books & schematics was gamestaged ? Forge could be a 25%+ chance in the first week, then go down as the game progresses. You don't have to balance out every book, just customize the odds for those super early requirements and distribute the rest evenly among the other ones.

As a side note, the game now runs super smooth for me (even before the last patch, I can't wait to try it out ^^). Talking constant 60 fps, even though i'm not playing on ultra. The bottleneck was my RAM, had 1x8gb 2400mhz, replaced that with 2x8gb 3200mhz and it's like night and day. (rig : B350M-A MB, RX480 Sapphire 4gb, Ryzen 1600)

Also runs wayyyy better for my friends, I guess I used to be their bottleneck (I host the game).

Is it intentional that the trader will sometimes not have anything in their Secret Stash? Single player btw.

Screenshot-55.png

I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but I saw that today as well.

EDIT: Having a second look at it, I am pretty sure it's bugged. I can see things in the "ALL" list that don't show up in any of the non-stash lists

Archived