Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

On topic, I decided after my first horde night to spend my points primarily in intellect and try that build. The scrap turret is amazing fun. It only targets hostiles so you can be in its firing arc and whacking zeds while the turret is firing at them. It's like having a partner with you-- a partner that the zeds ignore btw always only targeting you which you can use to great and fun advantage. And no matter who gets the killing shot between you and the turret you always get the xp for the kill. Love it and I'm not even perked into them yet. Can't wait until I can have more than one active at once and set up crossfires and mini kill corridors within POI's I'm exploring.

From the way you describe it sounds like a build that would fit me, as I like having mini buddies that can shoot. Though, I am conflicted as I saw madmole's strength build and that tankiness also appeals to me. Overall what makes the intellect build unique?

- - - Updated - - -

@madmole

What other blocks can the cop spit/ vulture puke go through other than the bars? I'm assuming blocks with gaps like the arrow slit and pillars allow spit/ puke to go through.

On topic, I decided after my first horde night to spend my points primarily in intellect and try that build. The scrap turret is amazing fun. It only targets hostiles so you can be in its firing arc and whacking zeds while the turret is firing at them. It's like having a partner with you-- a partner that the zeds ignore btw always only targeting you which you can use to great and fun advantage. And no matter who gets the killing shot between you and the turret you always get the xp for the kill. Love it and I'm not even perked into them yet. Can't wait until I can have more than one active at once and set up crossfires and mini kill corridors within POI's I'm exploring.

Just one question (I guess I wasn't really paying attention): do you get all the XP for zombie kills with traps/turrets, or only half vs if you had killed the zombie yourself directly?

This Man Gets It! Finally someone who smells the potential that is an Int Build! Finally someone who goes Int and doesn't play League of Legends. Or maybe he does but the joke stands!

Wow, Gupps a peasant now.

I can’t keep coming back to this thread, as much as I love this game I just can’t deal with MM’s hugely over inflated ego.

Oh, these two are about matched on ego. ;)

Guppy absolutely does not need someone to become offended on his behalf.

Perception build is sweetening up, I found a T3 Q5 spear and have 4 ranks and 3 mods, and its a big improvement. I think I found my T3 Q6 spiked knuckles really early so that might have skewed my thoughts on perception. Also my rifle is really punching holes in dudes now and the ammo savings is real. Perception is pretty cool in its own way

I still say that Perception and especially rifles are OP.

You're more the in-yo-face dakkadakka kinda player but rifles will do crazy damage if used tactically with the right ammo and so on and will do about 5x the damage per bullet that an M60 would.

They are simply very different.

bad idea, the other 2 men in her life are dead, why do you think she is in the basement

Lol!

What can I say.. I like to live dangerously.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on guys.. Let's not fight, a couple of days before the release of A18.. Plenty of that to be done after release I think.

Group-hug, anyone? With clothes on, obviously.

I still say that Perception and especially rifles are OP.

You're more the in-yo-face dakkadakka kinda player but rifles will do crazy damage if used tactically with the right ammo and so on and will do about 5x the damage per bullet that an M60 would.

They are simply very different.

Shh, shh, shh. You're not allowed to say that word around here. ;) (OP.) It's fine the way it is. If anything, I'm gonna ask for a buff to Perception, and rifles as well while I'm at it. ;)

The big advantage modders have over developers is that they don't have to worry about priorities, balance, or standards to the level that the designers of the game do. They can add whatever they want as early as they wish and with questionable quality and are forgiven because people know it is a mod of a game in alpha without full mod support anyway. It isn't really an issue of TFP playing ketchup as you put it. It is an issue of TFP developing the game according to their priorities and meeting their standards of performance and playability whereas modders don't have any of those constraints.

I kinda see TFPs as a car manufacturer That has a great car that a lot of people love and modders as hot rodders that pimp a car out. The hot rodders might add awesome things or remove them. Some of the added things are awesome like a turbocharger, better tires, sweet stereo, flaming exhaust...some things removed some might think are awesome also like removing a governor that restricts max speed or removing a safety feature to lighten the body.

All of this happens on the chassis the TFPs built and had to go through safety inspections, crash tests, pass emissions tests. Then and only then the modders can make it more powerful or add silly ground effects to their glory or peril.

IMHO of course

Just want to say that everyone can acquire white knights. Devs, modders moderators etc. You dont need 500,000 downloads and a booth at e3 to acquire that (although that 500,000 quip gave me a good chuckle) but being a dev doesn't make you right every time. There are highways paved with the tombstones of former devs who thought they knew their stuff and wound up failing.

There is one thing that always bugged me and that is the fact that conversations here between modders and devs always end up with insults. Its usually adversarial or dismissive for some odd reason. I have never seen that type of interaction on any other gaming forum or discord. Most times devs are extremely open to chatting it up with modders.

Here we have a rule that they cant even be discussed outside of the appropriate area of the forum.

IMO probably due to the fact that others then jump in on the mod or dev side and continue to beat the dead horse, while ramping up the tone and normally it is the other commentators who start throwing the dirt on mods side, hence Devs come in strong to shut down the topic/issue.

At the end of the day we could all just be talking in a vacuum, Devs are under no obligation to interact or discuss the game.

I actually don't know how TFP have done it for so long. I've been working full time on a single project for 3 years and so I'm tired of working on it, I cringe every time I turn on my monitor at work.

I can't imagine any of them having fun playing their game. It wouldn't surprise me if few of them play legit, full games at all. Building something and having it working after working out tons of bugs only to scrap it all and do it again several times makes it all even worse... and we all know that has happened throughout the alphas.

I am very surprised that they don't have (or haven't had) a couple other projects going on to prevent themselves from getting sick mentally.

It's really hard to tell you anything useful there because mental health is a huge topic and people have very different ways to deal with stress/burnout.

Everyone on the team takes breaks and at least the majority of us here are workaholics.

Management is also important. If it's all one ginormous project with one goal then progress towards it is glacial and demotivating.

Divided into milestones or sub-projects it's far easier to keep the energy up because you can achieve a success once in a while.

I actually don't know how TFP have done it for so long. I've been working full time on a single project for 3 years and so I'm tired of working on it, I cringe every time I turn on my monitor at work.

I can't imagine any of them having fun playing their game. It wouldn't surprise me if few of them play legit, full games at all. Building something and having it working after working out tons of bugs only to scrap it all and do it again several times makes it all even worse... and we all know that has happened throughout the alphas.

I am very surprised that they don't have (or haven't had) a couple other projects going on to prevent themselves from getting sick mentally.

I've been working on a project for over 8 years now, I definitely know how that is.

I started with a simple page pulling out work orders for technicians as a proof of concept, now I am the sole developer managing a complex system that handles payroll, accounting, project management, reports/charting, safety checks, inventory, human resources, etc.. essentially the central nexus of the company I work for. I *jump* at breaking ground of any small new project, because I am awful sick of looking at old code to fix new problems.

I often dreamt of being a game designer, because how could you be sick of making an entertainment-generator? I can imagine even a game (which is all just code in the background anyway), can wear someone down when you are looking at it for years on end.

All in all I love coding, and I gotta support my family so I stick to it. I will just get my game-design itch moderately scratched by making more POI's when A18 drops lol.

Use a looong usb cable (16 feet is ok by the standard) for the receiving dongle to bridge most of the distance. Maybe you can even put it on the ceiling upside down.

LOL...the problem then is again, no desk space on a couch. (And half the time, our cat overlords are sitting on a lap.)

We also find couch play with a home theater and huge tv a lot more relaxing and fun than sitting at a desktop. Half the time the wife is usually half watching while she does her homework for her degree.

There are good reasons to use a m/kb, but also just as good reasons to use a controller.

Guest Piratenking
Not half as scary as it will be.

will the random encounter feature in A18 activate even if i stay at my base? sometimes i dont feel like going to the next big town to loot 3 houses and then be forced to come back cause lack of space (i know we have the 4x4 but motorbike is more versatile) but i would love it if those ♥♥♥♥ers and their moms come and challenge me big time now and then

Oh, you just need a Madmole translator. The first statement is exactly what he was saying. In fact, I think he did make a statement almost like the first before he finally made the statement more like the second when those adorable modders ignored the first in the zeal and error of their thinking that they were colleagues.

Now I will agree that customer service speech is not Madmole's strong suit. He is blunt and is not concerned at all with bruising someone's ego. Some have a desire that he not interact directly but hire a public relations front man who can disseminate all of his talking points with a plastic smile and hearty handshake for all.

But that pool of people is small, I'm guessing.

I for one appreciate the bluntness , honesty, and ball busting. If u are lucky enough to get a response from any other developer you get one line of corporate BS after another. You don’t even need to ask questions because the politically correct stock holder answers are too predictable.

Some of you people need to grow a pair of nuts and get off your moms teet

The big advantage modders have over developers is that they don't have to worry about priorities, balance, or standards to the level that the designers of the game do. They can add whatever they want as early as they wish and with questionable quality and are forgiven because people know it is a mod of a game in alpha without full mod support anyway. It isn't really an issue of TFP playing ketchup as you put it. It is an issue of TFP developing the game according to their priorities and meeting their standards of performance and playability whereas modders don't have any of those constraints.

I find it a bit odd that this is always assumed and generalized on Modders. Why do you think modders do not at all need to worry about things like balance, performance, quality standards or design constraints. Hell modders are generally more constrained because they have to work within a given design space and do not have access to the source code.

I am not sure why modders should not be able to talk about design and balance with the game's developers simply because they have not build the game or are on the development team of it. Modders, especially the more hardcore ones, have a very good understanding of the game's mechanics, systems and moving pieces and how it all works together.

But modders do not have any authority over the game or any design decisions made for it, but they can probably provide more worthwhile suggestions and insights that an average player probably can. I think modders would make very good sparring partners for the game developers, since modders may have already tried to implement a feature before and thus know it's pitfalls and the game's limitations on it.

But it seems to always cause some dedain towards the modder for giving feedback and referring to his work on the subject.

I've been working on a project for over 8 years now, I definitely know how that is.

I started with a simple page pulling out work orders for technicians as a proof of concept, now I am the sole developer managing a complex system that handles payroll, accounting, project management, reports/charting, safety checks, inventory, human resources, etc.. essentially the central nexus of the company I work for. I *jump* at breaking ground of any small new project, because I am awful sick of looking at old code to fix new problems.

I often dreamt of being a game designer, because how could you be sick of making an entertainment-generator? I can imagine even a game (which is all just code in the background anyway), can wear someone down when you are looking at it for years on end.

All in all I love coding, and I gotta support my family so I stick to it. I will just get my game-design itch moderately scratched by making more POI's when A18 drops lol.

The early prototype phase of a game can be really fun. But after a while it will be day-to-day work, just as other types of software projects.

Fortunately you can see people enjoying the product nowadays at release (videos, discussions). That probably feels more rewarding than server software for business applications.

There are more level design tools than ever.

Just the ability to link spawn volumes lets you pull off some interesting tricks or manage basic L-shaped corridors.

The adaptive terrainfiller has barely been used, yet, and lets you seamlessly blend POI into the surrounding natural terrain.

Underground, halfway into a mountainside... whatevs!

I for one appreciate the bluntness , honesty, and ball busting. If u are lucky enough to get a response from any other developer you get one line of corporate BS after another. You don’t even need to ask questions because the politically correct stock holder answers are too predictable.

We do not agree with all of your findings but we will continue to work with the community to... nah, I just can't.

So it looks like it'll be time to wipe the servers this weekend and have them ready for A18 next week.

Guess I'll do that day 98 horde cranked to the max and see if the dart traps hold up.

I do want to try the new machine gun. (then of course, Ima crank the damage into stoopid numbers. No, you can't hold my beer while I do that. I gotsta drink it first.)

:)

Powered drawbridges: yay! Some of us use double bridges for that extra wide gap (bridges end to end). Can they be chained together so both open/close at the same time?

Streamer noticed this typo. Thought I would just do a quick mention here as I don't think it is a hard fix.

Than instead of then.

challenge_stagparty_offer,,Challenge Info,KgNone,"Well how do you do,\nFriend if you've reading this letter than you should know my crew has been watching you. Do this little task for us and we might let you join the Willies. If not don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.\n\nSlick ‘as a whistle' Willie\n\nChallenge: Kill some Stags","

Archived