Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I find it a bit odd that this is always assumed and generalized on Modders. Why do you think modders do not at all need to worry about things like balance, performance, quality standards or design constraints. Hell modders are generally more constrained because they have to work within a given design space and do not have access to the source code.

I am not sure why modders should not be able to talk about design and balance with the game's developers simply because they have not build the game or are on the development team of it. Modders, especially the more hardcore ones, have a very good understanding of the game's mechanics, systems and moving pieces and how it all works together.

But modders do not have any authority over the game or any design decisions made for it, but they can probably provide more worthwhile suggestions and insights that an average player probably can. I think modders would make very good sparring partners for the game developers, since modders may have already tried to implement a feature before and thus know it's pitfalls and the game's limitations on it.

But it seems to always cause some dedain towards the modder for giving feedback and referring to his work on the subject.

If I had to guess it's because some modders have strong opinions which leads to the arguing.

No kidding, everyone needs to save their anger for all the deaths playing A18. I fully expect there to be at least a few people who complain their old playstyle doesnt work and the game is now dead to them...lol

I for one look forward to a glorious A18 death(s) and hope my old playstyle doesn't work. It always is fun coming up with new plans.

I for one appreciate the bluntness , honesty, and ball busting. If u are lucky enough to get a response from any other developer you get one line of corporate BS after another. You don’t even need to ask questions because the politically correct stock holder answers are too predictable.

Some of you people need to grow a pair of nuts and get off your moms teet

Hey, we found the perfect MM translator. Snowdog, show your best plastic smile.

:cocksure:

What'd you do? :)

orsey [verb] - orsey / orsey / orseing

transitive verb

Definitions:

----------------

1. discuss a point tenaciously

slang:

2. continue to discuss a post past usefulness

There are more level design tools than ever.

Just the ability to link spawn volumes lets you pull off some interesting tricks or manage basic L-shaped corridors.

The adaptive terrainfiller has barely been used, yet, and lets you seamlessly blend POI into the surrounding natural terrain.

Underground, halfway into a mountainside... whatevs!

That sounds promising (spawn volumes). What improvements to terrain filler has there been? The old one was wonky for me and only seemed useful for horizontal terrain.

I find it a bit odd that this is always assumed and generalized on Modders. Why do you think modders do not at all need to worry about things like balance, performance, quality standards or design constraints.

I never said they didn’t need to worry about those things. I said they don’t need to worry about those things to the same standard/level as the devs. I also gave the answer to why: the public is more forgiving and expectations are not as high for mods especially at this stage of the game. My mod for xp is very unpolished and appears hacked on but all I got were compliments from those who liked the change to the game. If TFP put out what I did they would be hugely criticized. Look at all the criticism they get for existing content where animation isn’t good or graphical glitches exist. Let’s say that TFP stuck to their original plan and smooth terrain was going in last but some modder was able to do it first for people to try while waiting for TFP to come around. Would the modder get criticized to the degree TFP does for the divot between terrain and crafted blocks? I seriously doubt it. Mostly people would be glad to be able to try it out while at least one player would then accuse TFP of stealing smooth terrain from modders when they finally got around to doing it....

These are facts born out by history and not a dig against modders. Mods do not have to attain to the same standard of quality in order to be accepted and loved by the community that wants them. Don’t look for offense where none is being given.

Well... poop. I guess that's to be expected when playing the 50 page ketchup game on only a couple hours of sleep.

BTW, I think the plastic + acid = tires recipe is strange too... but then again I only have a chemistry degree, so I'm not qualified to comment. :p

*skips away*

-A

I've seen you around enough and was going to ask how did you miss 'full orsey mode'? ; - )

Okay so Jax stole them from another game, therefore he should get credit from that? I don't understand why that's his copyrighted feature in RH. It's still not a very impressive feature as all they do is speed up and possibly do more damage. Even then to claim Madmole "stole" that from RH, and yet, you said he doesn't play mods? Lol, you contradict yourself so much.

Stole is not the correct word for it. But I agree with you 100% the same principle can be used to Bandits, Bandits in a post-apocalypse game are a must have, I know a couple of modders that added Bandits in their mod, so I guess that (following blenna13's line of thought) TFP are stealing the Bandits from those mods....b*tch please...

Well... poop. I guess that's to be expected when playing the 50 page ketchup game on only a couple hours of sleep.

BTW, I think the plastic + acid = tires recipe is strange too... but then again I only have a chemistry degree, so I'm not qualified to comment. :p

*skips away*

-A

Lol....never watch a hospital drama sitting next to a nurse or a Law drama sitting next to a lawyer. Generalizations and abstractions are done all the time in all entertainment and only the experts cringe. :)

Lol....never watch a hospital drama sitting next to a nurse or a Law drama sitting next to a lawyer. Generalizations and abstractions are done all the time in all entertainment and only the experts cringe. :)

Hey, I just walked into a small room with 4 Hawaiian shirt zombies and 1 nurse zombie inside. Anything can happen. ;)

Proof:

3jfxsnh.jpg

(She's in the background on the floor)

But I have. TFP is not my first gig, and not even my first studio I've owned. I developed games indy, for activision, NC Soft, Dreamcatcher, etc.

Lol my buddy works for activision as some Tester manager dude. He says he can't even look at a call of futy game anymore since working there LOL

Archived