Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

There are more level design tools than ever.

Just the ability to link spawn volumes lets you pull off some interesting tricks or manage basic L-shaped corridors.

The adaptive terrainfiller has barely been used, yet, and lets you seamlessly blend POI into the surrounding natural terrain.

Underground, halfway into a mountainside... whatevs!

Adaptive terrain filler? I do like the sound of that. Linked volumes sounds interesting as well, I can't wait to check it out. I will have to update my prefab tutorial series on our YT channel with A18 changes.

You said the terrain filler is barely used, was it an undocumented feature or is it new as of A18?

We do not agree with all of your findings but we will continue to work with the community to... nah, I just can't.

... find exciting, fair ways to monetize our product that brings the maximum value we can out of our game. Loot boxes-- oh, sorry. "Surprise mechanics"..." There, finished it for ya. ;)

(Disclaimer: I'm mocking the majority of "developers" (aka guys in suits) here, not TFP.)

Word! agree 100% Modders need to understand that without the CORE game being supported there would be ZERO mods.

Most Modders already know this. They see this big machinery where they can just turn some knobs to create new worlds. Even when they add some instruments and controls they always see the machinery underneath their decorations.

Most of the time it is the players and pure mod users who never have coded anything who misunderstand the situation. They download a mod and the mod has for example 3 times the items, and they think woow, that modder has done 3 times as much as the lazy developer. And at that time the mod feels much better than vanilla (no surprise, they themselves selected the mod according to their tastes) and they think woow, that modder is even a better game designer.

I hope I don't need to explain why both conclusions are big fallacies.

Maybe one of the devs or some of the attentive readers of the diary can answer my question:

Are A18 servers able to upload prefab files to clients?

It is unfortunate that the clients have to install all non-vanilla prefabs manually before joining servers that use them.

Ok.

1. This isnt the place to discuss my mod or any mods really.

2. I dont think my mod is awesome at all. Im actually very critical of my own work. Also I wouldn't even BE modding if it weren't for Pimps and my love for this game. As much as I may disagree on some stuff I will always respect the fact its their game, and I am thankful they allow the modding that they do. Joel has been my inspiration for modding and now he is my inspiration for developing an actual game. Without Pimps and him I dont exist in this community and thats fact.

3. The Rage Zombies were initially a Guppy Creation. I tweaked them to suit Ravenhearst needs. So I credit them to Guppy. Stompy also had ragers a long time ago. They are indeed not an original idea. I FULLY support devs embracing modder ideas. I never consider it stealing because it is their code and their game first and foremost. There have been a lot of ideas in mods past and present that crept their way into the base game and more power to this. If it strengthens the base game they can have all of it.

So please I ask not to argue using my mod as an example. I thank you for the kind words and acknowledgment, it is very much appreciated. But my mod is supposed to be seen as a compliment to the vanilla game, not a rebellion against it.

This man speaks the language of the gods

Maybe one of the devs or some of the attentive readers of the diary can answer my question:

It is unfortunate that the clients have to install all non-vanilla prefabs manually before joining servers that use them.

There is already a function to download worlds, I wonder if the devs would be willing to put in hooks to pull in prefabs bundled in world maps as well?

For example; if a client is modded to have additional builds, compare prefab manifests between vanilla and modded, make a directory for prefabs in the generated worlds directory where it can copy any non-vanilla maps included in the prefabs.xml/rngmixer, and allow it to be distributed in tandem.

Would take longer to download, sure. But removes a technical burden for players who would have had to download it anyway.

This is a great question. I hope you get an answer.

On the topic of A18 and prefabs for the @Devs:

Are custom prefabs going to have any compatibility issues in A18? That is, have block ID's changed for any A18 from A17, and if so is there a conversion process in place?

As soon as A18 drops, I'd like to update all our builds for general community use as well as put it on our public server, and update the mod download on Nexusmods.

Rock solid ;)

Of course! I'm also very much in shape..

A circle is a shape too..

- - - Updated - - -

We needs the evidence. Something a little more... concrete. ;)

/jk. I had to make a rock pun of some description. :p

Hehe.. I like the way you think! But no.. I won't be sending out body pics. Maybe SnowDog still has them somewhere.

I find it a bit odd that this is always assumed and generalized on Modders. Why do you think modders do not at all need to worry about things like balance, performance, quality standards or design constraints. Hell modders are generally more constrained because they have to work within a given design space and do not have access to the source code.

I am not sure why modders should not be able to talk about design and balance with the game's developers simply because they have not build the game or are on the development team of it. Modders, especially the more hardcore ones, have a very good understanding of the game's mechanics, systems and moving pieces and how it all works together.

But modders do not have any authority over the game or any design decisions made for it, but they can probably provide more worthwhile suggestions and insights that an average player probably can. I think modders would make very good sparring partners for the game developers, since modders may have already tried to implement a feature before and thus know it's pitfalls and the game's limitations on it.

But it seems to always cause some dedain towards the modder for giving feedback and referring to his work on the subject.

Biggest problem is, is that TFP are always miles ahead in development. Not only technical progress but also roadmap descisions. With your suggestion it would mean modders would have to be on the same level of access to those things as the devs are. Which would only be possible if they would be devs of the game themselves. You cant advise on things you have tried to implement on an always n-x version behind. Just impossible. I thinks theres where the sometimes harsch cut-offs come from when modders (or mainly users of their mods) keep nagging about things they have done and want to see in vanilla game while the game code has advanced next level allready and descisions have been made regarding gamedesign visions.

Cheers

Adaptive terrain filler? I do like the sound of that. Linked volumes sounds interesting as well, I can't wait to check it out. I will have to update my prefab tutorial series on our YT channel with A18 changes.

You said the terrain filler is barely used, was it an undocumented feature or is it new as of A18?

It's new, just not widely used.

Cooked that up with the lead programmer. My test case was a POI plopped into Navezgane in the most hamfisted way possible, halfway into a mountain.

All air blocks inside it were the new terrainfiller so the "natural terrain" flowed around and through the POI, filling all spaces, resulting in a half-buried POI.

The obvious use case are bridges where you can adapt to a riverbed that can be at just about any angle without leaving a square cut or gap. But that's only the tip of the dirt pile.

A18 is all about polish and making features work better and smoother. There are tons of new features but most of them are small scale individually.

LOL...the problem then is again, no desk space on a couch. (And half the time, our cat overlords are sitting on a lap.)

We also find couch play with a home theater and huge tv a lot more relaxing and fun than sitting at a desktop. Half the time the wife is usually half watching while she does her homework for her degree.

There are good reasons to use a m/kb, but also just as good reasons to use a controller.

I was almost sure you would bring up more reasons to use the controllers. I just wanted to say that the remote range is a solvable one.

By the way, I play sometimes on the tv too and I have the luck to own an armchair with flat armrests. So I put the mouse on the armrest, keyboard on my knees and it actually works great. Not a solution for everyone, even though you can even buy or build small tables that allow the use of keyboard/mouse on a couch, for example this: https://www.nerdytec.com/de/mixxxer.php?products_id=32

On topic, I decided after my first horde night to spend my points primarily in intellect and try that build. The scrap turret is amazing fun. It only targets hostiles so you can be in its firing arc and whacking zeds while the turret is firing at them. It's like having a partner with you-- a partner that the zeds ignore btw always only targeting you which you can use to great and fun advantage. And no matter who gets the killing shot between you and the turret you always get the xp for the kill. Love it and I'm not even perked into them yet. Can't wait until I can have more than one active at once and set up crossfires and mini kill corridors within POI's I'm exploring.

I cant wait to see what creative uses will do with those. Sounds like a great gameplay addition from everything I've seen and heard about so far. How difficult is it to make/find ammo for it?

Lol!

What can I say.. I like to live dangerously.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on guys.. Let's not fight, a couple of days before the release of A18.. Plenty of that to be done after release I think.

Group-hug, anyone? With clothes on, obviously.

No kidding, everyone needs to save their anger for all the deaths playing A18. I fully expect there to be at least a few people who complain their old playstyle doesnt work and the game is now dead to them...lol

I've been working on a project for over 8 years now, I definitely know how that is.

I started with a simple page pulling out work orders for technicians as a proof of concept, now I am the sole developer managing a complex system that handles payroll, accounting, project management, reports/charting, safety checks, inventory, human resources, etc.. essentially the central nexus of the company I work for. I *jump* at breaking ground of any small new project, because I am awful sick of looking at old code to fix new problems.

I often dreamt of being a game designer, because how could you be sick of making an entertainment-generator? I can imagine even a game (which is all just code in the background anyway), can wear someone down when you are looking at it for years on end.

All in all I love coding, and I gotta support my family so I stick to it. I will just get my game-design itch moderately scratched by making more POI's when A18 drops lol.

Ah a fellow prefabber. Keep the art alive. *fist pump* 👍

Archived