Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The Pimps obviously have there own vision of the game, and this very likely is not exactly what any mod does.

Bingo. Think of mods as alternate universes. Nobody really wants the game to become just Ravenhearst or Starvation or War of the Walkers or Winter. We want the game that TFP is working towards AND those other alternatives which the current way things are being done is currently delivering.

As one of the creators of the above mentioned heavy mods I think it is important to remember one thing: All of us modders should be on our hands and knees THANKING Pimps for allowing us to even alter and redistribute this code. There are other games, like H1Z1 where players would DREAM of getting their hands on that code and being able to mod and alter it but can't.

20 years ago stuff like this was not as readily available to people like me. Id have to seek it out, and then share it amongst a select group. Now everyone embraces modding but it was not always like that, and Pimps do NOT have to allow it. It is a privilege.

Also I fully support the notion that us modders, while making cool stuff, are NOT creating a new game. Without the layers with which we build upon there would be NO Ravenhearst, Starvation or War of the Walkers. We may add things not seen in the game, but in the end we are not developing a game. I am under no delusion that anything I put out is "better" than what the Pimps can do. All I do is take ideas already at play and shape them. Without them it all goes up in smoke.

I think some need to stop acting so entitled. Tomorrow could be the day Pimps forbid modding their code and that's the day we all have to go underground. And if you are unhappy with the current direction give one of the mods a shot and stop resisting it. Coming here to complain about it is time you can be using to explore a whole world of awesome stuff that can reignite your love for the game. Want to play a more challenging version? Try True Survival. Want more end game content with NPCs and Farming? Go with Starvation. LOVE progression and classes and such? Go Valmod. SO many choices if you are THAT upset with Vanilla.

TFP have given us more than enough to occupy our time in between Alphas. It's not their fault you do not want to take advantage of it.

As one of the creators of the above mentioned heavy mods I think it is important to remember one thing: All of us modders should be on our hands and knees THANKING Pimps for allowing us to even alter and redistribute this code. There are other games, like H1Z1 where players would DREAM of getting their hands on that code and being able to mod and alter it but can't.

20 years ago stuff like this was not as readily available to people like me. Id have to seek it out, and then share it amongst a select group. Now everyone embraces modding but it was not always like that, and Pimps do NOT have to allow it. It is a privilege.

Also I fully support the notion that us modders, while making cool stuff, are NOT creating a new game. Without the layers with which we build upon there would be NO Ravenhearst, Starvation or War of the Walkers. We may add things not seen in the game, but in the end we are not developing a game. I am under no delusion that anything I put out is "better" than what the Pimps can do. All I do is take ideas already at play and shape them. Without them it all goes up in smoke.

I think some need to stop acting so entitled. Tomorrow could be the day Pimps forbid modding their code and that's the day we all have to go underground. And if you are unhappy with the current direction give one of the mods a shot and stop resisting it. Coming here to complain about it is time you can be using to explore a whole world of awesome stuff that can reignite your love for the game. Want to play a more challenging version? Try True Survival. Want more end game content with NPCs and Farming? Go with Starvation. LOVE progression and classes and such? Go Valmod. SO many choices if you are THAT upset with Vanilla.

TFP have given us more than enough to occupy our time in between Alphas. It's not their fault you do not want to take advantage of it.

As someone who has been thoroughly enjoying the aforementioned mods, I'm also exceptionally grateful that TFP have been kind enough to allow modders to basically change their game completely.

and truly you hit the nail on the head!

Well said Roland tho is spuing you made a better post then he hahahaha :-P. Nah jokes aside not 1 thing in your post I disagree with. It's spot on....

I agree with Jax,

For the longest time I played nothing but True Survival Mod by Spider, but spider is now on hiatus. I have played Starvation and Valmod. But I still find myself playing singleplayer vanilla ironman. If I die, I start over. I am also doing this to try new maps with new words for the random world creator. I keep hoping I will see a pattern. Almost near 3000 hours and no pattern.

I have not always been happy when the Pimps change something, but in the end, it is their art and I can play on a mod or even mod it myself if I am so inclined. Alpha 16 is the best version of the game so far. End of story. I have more hours on 16 than any other alpha and that says alot. I have more single player hours on alpha 16 and that says even more. What says the most of all is I am salivating for alpha 17 because of what Madmole has already shown us.

Per hour of entertainment for dollars paid this is the best game I have ever owned and its still in alpha. I do not know how to praise a game any higher. The original Tribes game is the only game I have more hours on and that is because we competed in the world wide ladder as a team and were in the top ten for most of the time. So I had over 10k hours on tribes and 7 Days is a better game than tribes hands down. As a pvp multiplayer Tribes is still my favorite of all time. For a single player survival and multiplayer survival game there is nothing better than 7 Days.

If you cannot deal with early access then please play something else and come back each time a new alpha drops and is updated to about the 4th version of that alpha. At that time servers become more stable and most servers do not need to be wiped often.

Chris

I have played since A7 and still have never once used a mod...or wanted to...maybe once the game goes gold I might look into some...

Hell even Minecraft , it took me well past 1.0 to download any mods and that has pretty much just been the farming ones and mo'creatures...nothing completely game altering...

Now Planet Coaster on the other hand , I have added to and downloaded from the Workshop numerous times...so I can see the want and need for something like that here...but we are a long way off to that still and rather the game itself and all that entrails(so much more appropriate then entails) get completed first!

As for what modders can or can not do - one must not ignore the effort or qualification required to do something.

Sure, a small handful of modders can do crazy SDX mods but how many can not?

The more powerful the "simple" (and far more compatible) XML modding capability is, the more modders can create awesome content with it without having to be "real coders".

Want a hidden counter to increase whenever the player enters a new biome? That's XML now.

Want a "dazed" buff to trigger when your blood pressure is low and you get up after being crouched too long? XML.

Want a "zen repair overdrive" buff after you've repaired 10 blocks in under 15 seconds? XML.

Unable to use 2-handed weapons/items with one broken arm? Yup, XML.

A zombie entity is no longer completely separate from a player entity so if a zombie were to have an item or buff or skill that increases block damage or negates some of your armor value... guess what...

Just a few random examples.

I have no idea where all this angst is coming from.

This patch is a massive framework overhaul on the gameplay front and it will be ready when it's ready. Right now there are way too many cables and parts strewn all over the floor to even properly test it. (and this is normal)

Sure there's a new syntax to wrap your head around but hey - are you mice or modders? =P

A17 is a big box of new types of LEGO modding pieces in addition to all the gameplay and prefab overhauls.

And if some more wooden sticks bite the dust - cry me a river =)

As for what modders can or can not do - one must not ignore the effort or qualification required to do something.

The more powerful the "simple" (and far more compatible) XML modding capability is, the more modders can create awesome content with it without having to be "real coders".

Sure there's a new syntax to wrap your head around but hey - are you mice or modders? =P

A17 is a big box of new types of LEGO modding pieces in addition to all the gameplay and prefab overhauls.

I don't typically post in this thread, but those of us who actually produce something besides complaints appreciate all that you and the FP team are doing. Looking forward to all the new possibilities!

Want a hidden counter to increase whenever the player enters a new biome? That's XML now.

Want a "dazed" buff to trigger when your blood pressure is low and you get up after being crouched too long? XML.

Want a "zen repair overdrive" buff after you've repaired 10 blocks in under 15 seconds? XML.

A zombie entity is no longer completely separate from a player entity so if a zombie were to have an item or buff or skill that increases block damage or negates some of your armor value... guess what...

This patch is a massive framework overhaul on the gameplay front and it will be ready when it's ready. Right now there are way too many cables and parts strewn all over the floor to even properly test it. (and this is normal)

This is all great to hear. :)

Some day you folks will have to make a bit more comprehensive list of what options are available in XML edits. It's easy to look at what is there and modify it but it isn't so easy to identify what *could* be there but isn't currently used or used rarely enough that you don't intuit that it could apply in other areas (like a property you only see used with containers but could also be used on non-containers).

Also... can you spawn entities with the new system? Could you have a large item, such as a bus, that spawns zombies one at a time every few minutes until it is destroyed? Or maybe have a rabbit hole that does the same for rabbits? Or maybe have a factory with a conveyor system that produces products that drop on to the conveyor and are transported around? Okay, that last one isn't likely, but whatever. :p

I think last year some of the Fun Pimps were in xmas day fixing bugs because of a release they did.

Im glad they do not have that pressure this year. Extended holidays all round I would say and dont come back till at least the 15th Jan because you deserve a break.

Thanks Fun Pimps for the news and for making tools for modders, it will be great to see what things people can come up with.

Someone the other day I spoke to said they wish more tools were made for modders and server admins.

Also... can you spawn entities with the new system? Could you have a large item, such as a bus, that spawns zombies one at a time every few minutes until it is destroyed? Or maybe have a rabbit hole that does the same for rabbits? Or maybe have a factory with a conveyor system that produces products that drop on to the conveyor and are transported around? Okay, that last one isn't likely, but whatever. :p

- plant a cristmas tree seed. (make sure it's fertilised ground)

- wait for it to mature.

- 1 present will spawn around it and then the tree dries out.

- Open the present and place the 1 million monkey christmas carol songwriters.

- There is a random chance one of them may produce the instruction manual (recipe) for the fabricator and conveyor belt with rabbit hole.

- if powered and turned on, the fab will produce random items and the conveyor belt / rabbit hole combo will automatically transfer them into the rabbit hole until you catch them on the way.

- items dropped into the rabbit hole have a random chance to spawn a rabbit.

See? Simple. But not doable in XML.

Someone the other day I spoke to said they wish more tools were made for modders and server admins.

Oh, yah. Something in there for server admins, too. (yes, we know that people actually run servers for this game)

This is all great to hear. :)

Some day you folks will have to make a bit more comprehensive list of what options are available in XML edits. It's easy to look at what is there and modify it but it isn't so easy to identify what *could* be there but isn't currently used or used rarely enough that you don't intuit that it could apply in other areas (like a property you only see used with containers but could also be used on non-containers).

I think what your looking for is a random event that enters the world. Spawns a zombie spawn point such as a bus or simlar. Sounds good I would opt for that idea. Farming I would like where you can breed pigs/chickens etc.

But options like this maybe can be modded in later as we still at alpha stage. Closer to release would be nice to see such things added or have the coding to possibly moddify so we could have it.

https://youtu.be/jbRyo0j7CO8

- - - Updated - - -

I think last year some of the Fun Pimps were in xmas day fixing bugs because of a release they did.

Im glad they do not have that pressure this year. Extended holidays all round I would say and dont come back till at least the 15th Jan because you deserve a break.

Thanks Fun Pimps for the news and for making tools for modders, it will be great to see what things people can come up with.

Coughs* kiss ass * Coughs

LOL

I found your New Modding instruction video it worked wonders!

Thanks Gazz! :D

I played one of those mods a while ago, maybe I will try them all someday. Although, I must admit I'm getting spoiled by Steam's Workshop: Click. Click. Done! Oh, how modern programmers have made me lazy. :)

You want click click done then download sphereii’s modlauncher. He’s made it super easy to get them. It is pinned to the top of the modding tools section.

behemoth dropped. no endgame. still no bandits in the to do list.

but we will get some nice textures in the early-acces state. everyone needs them.

first i was like, "they should add more content" but now i feel you devs. we need no content. we need new textures and the already existsing bike with new textures, called in a different name

more textures pls. 2020 is a pretty number. we can wait until that, for the new content. im not disappointed at all! :) keep up the good work

Aww, sarcasm!

If you would have read any "Developer Diary: Alpha X" thread you would know why at this time of the development cycle there is mostly news of graphical content.

Did you not get any content update that extends the end game in alpha 16? IMO electricity alone is many times more then one behemoth.

Why do you actually assume there will be no updates to extend the end game in alpha 17? I've read at leas about 5 that i'm very excited for.

Why do you assume they're not working on bringing bandits in?

It's like you read none of this thread and watched none of the videos and have no clue what's going on.

Right. Someone should write a proper manual. U up? =P

Check out the new SMX mod, 72 slots! Games4Kickz has a couple videos showing it off.

You know all they need to do is set the dll to save more inventory slots, then the player can just choose in modded options how many inv slots they want. Current inv mods rely on people editing the dll to get it to save more inv slots, and then also editing windows.xml to enable more slots in the windows themselves. Why can't the pimps just set how many inv slots it saves to like 128 or something max, to save people the time of having to edit the .dll everytime. If the slots aren't set in windows.xml they don't get used anyway, they are just regarded as empty inv slots in the save file I imagine.

Also don't give me about the save getting bigger, it'll be a few kilobytes bigger at most to save those slots item info, even less if its unused slots. Plus almost every console today (cept nintendo I think as they still haven't seemed to have gotten it yet), has a fairly decent size hard drive, as for the pc version well, we can pretty much have as much space as we want.

I'd also like to see more stuff added to modded options, like the option to shut weather survival off, admit it, weather survival offers nothing to the game other than just being something to annoy players. It'd be fine if it was just cold weather survival, but once you have both cold and hot it gets annoying because no game to this day has done it right when there is both. In fact if you look at real life, people are generally pretty covered in the desert as if they aren't they'd get massive sunburn, so the fact you can bascally fry in average clothing is pretty silly. The cold weather survival side is easy to do right, its the hot weather side where the problem always is.

I'd also like some monster-like enemies added to the game with an option in standart options to turn them on or off, The current enemies honestly are very boring, they are zombies so they are pretty stupid in fact I find the current zombies in game too smart already as they know what a door is, we could use monster enemies with the ability to: jump, run, climb, slash, bash, pierce, spit stuff at you etc to liven it up also have better ai, like busting in thru windows and such as its easier entry. Option to turn them on/off is so the purists won't whine, but they will be on by default.

More configurable diffculty be nice too, look at Ark survival evolved, you can modify a ton of settings to custom tailor how hard or easy you want it to me. Find the taming takes too much real time? you can change a slider to shorten it considerably. We used to have spawn rate, loot time, and craft time settings in there but they got removed. I used to set craft time to half myself. Quicker crafting takes care of that though, but the spawn rate should be a thing.

Archived