Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I'd also like to see more stuff added to modded options, like the option to shut weather survival off, admit it, weather survival offers nothing to the game other than just being something to annoy players. It'd be fine if it was just cold weather survival, but once you have both cold and hot it gets annoying because no game to this day has done it right when there is both. In fact if you look at real life, people are generally pretty covered in the desert as if they aren't they'd get massive sunburn, so the fact you can bascally fry in average clothing is pretty silly. The cold weather survival side is easy to do right, its the hot weather side where the problem always is.

(imo just like you have yours ;D) I don't admit it about the weather survival aspect of the game.

The weather survival can be made (even currently) to function a lot better then it already is (again my opinion and what I have done so far).

With the new buff system coming down the line and what it seems to imply it can do. It'll become even better and it can be made to be less of a chore and more of something the players need to account for without it being a irritant. So I would rather wait till that happens and see IF they will make it function better.

I believe it has the makings of being a great addition to the game if they want it to be.

You know all they need to do is set the dll to save more inventory slots, then the player can just choose in modded options how many inv slots they want. Current inv mods rely on people editing the dll to get it to save more inv slots, and then also editing windows.xml to enable more slots in the windows themselves. Why can't the pimps just set how many inv slots it saves to like 128 or something max, to save people the time of having to edit the .dll everytime. If the slots aren't set in windows.xml they don't get used anyway, they are just regarded as empty inv slots in the save file I imagine.

I can't say for certain, but in my mind setting a high number in the DLL and not in windows.xml will just make those extra slots inaccessible to the interface, but things that are automatically picked up or dumped into inventory can still go into them if your on-screen inventory is full. Net result being items you can't get to without rearranging your inventory.

Or am I completely wrong on that?

- - - Updated - - -

They are at least mostly salty ^^

Gazz is more like a whole grapefruit packed into a raisin.

I for one agree with playlessNamer. I've been through the same situation with Minecraft and don't play it anymore. And the same goes for 7 Days to Die. I still play... but losing interest. Oh and its his opinion... no need to ♥♥♥♥ all over him.

Why can't the pimps just set how many inv slots it saves to like 128 or something max, to save people the time of having to edit the .dll everytime.

Because they actually care about balance and maintaining the integrity of their survival game rather than having OP stuff that makes the player too powerful from the start of the game obtainable via an options menu. If anything, backpack slot number should be reduced at the start of the game and made to be progressive as the game goes on up to possibly 72 slots much later once the player has earned it rather than some kind of slider the player chooses to have from the beginning.

Thanks to Ravenhearst I've now played with a 72-slot backpack from Day 1 and it is has confirmed to me that such monstrosities should never be available from the beginning of the game. What's next? A feature that just teleports all found loot directly to your containers back at your base so you never have make ANY decisions about what to leave or take?

I for one agree with playlessNamer. I've been through the same situation with Minecraft and don't play it anymore. And the same goes for 7 Days to Die. I still play... but losing interest. Oh and its his opinion... no need to ♥♥♥♥ all over him.

Can you please quote the "♥♥♥♥".

Read nothing like that.

or is what you want to say.

"We have free speak, means we have the right to complain, so dont argue against our meanings"

When you post your opinion to a public forum you should expect disagreement with it. Write your opinion in your private journal if you desire a vacuum of opposing thought...

For what it's worth, I also agree with PlaylessNamer and yourself that the phenomenon of getting burnt out on a game before it leaves the development phase exists. What is there really to say about it other than, "No Duh"?

As I stated there is an easy fix:

Stop playing now and take a break until gold release!

Honestly, the solution to this "problem" is entirely in your hands...

P.S. -- We also don't really need an announcement from anyone who is choosing to take said break, either....

Because they actually care about balance and maintaining the integrity of their survival game rather than having OP stuff that makes the player too powerful from the start of the game obtainable via an options menu. If anything, backpack slot number should be reduced at the start of the game and made to be progressive as the game goes on up to possibly 72 slots much later once the player has earned it rather than some kind of slider the player chooses to have from the beginning.

Thanks to Ravenhearst I've now played with a 72-slot backpack from Day 1 and it is has confirmed to me that such monstrosities should never be available from the beginning of the game. What's next? A feature that just teleports all found loot directly to your containers back at your base so you never have make any decisions about what to leave or take?

But that isn't the point he was making. The MAXIMUM number of slots allowed in inventory is defined in the DLL but the accessible slots are defined in XML. He was asking for the maximum to be set higher so that modders could change the accessible number of slots without resorting to a DLL change. At least that's my interpretation. :p

Thanks to Ravenhearst I've now played with a 72-slot backpack from Day 1 and it is has confirmed to me that such monstrosities should never be available from the beginning of the game. What's next? A feature that just teleports all found loot directly to your containers back at your base so you never have make ANY decisions about what to leave or take?

TSk, Tsk, Tsk. Roland......have you not been keeping up....

But that isn't the point he was making. The MAXIMUM number of slots allowed in inventory is defined in the DLL but the accessible slots are defined in XML. He was asking for the maximum to be set higher so that modders could change the accessible number of slots without resorting to a DLL change. At least that's my interpretation. :p

huh....I read it again and I still am getting that he wants the developers to put an option in the modded options list where players can simply choose how many slots they want for inventory...

You know all they need to do is set the dll to save more inventory slots, then the player can just choose in modded options how many inv slots they want.

I'd also like to see more stuff added to modded options, like the option to shut weather survival off, admit it, weather survival offers nothing to the game other than just being something to annoy players.

I'd also like some monster-like enemies added to the game with an option in standart options to turn them on or off...

More configurable diffculty be nice too, look at Ark survival evolved, you can modify a ton of settings to custom tailor how hard or easy you want it to me. Find the taming takes too much real time? you can change a slider to shorten it considerably. We used to have spawn rate, loot time, and craft time settings in there but they got removed. I used to set craft time to half myself. Quicker crafting takes care of that though, but the spawn rate should be a thing.

See? I think I got his point. :)

huh....I read it again and I still am getting that he wants the developers to put an option in the modded options list where players can simply choose how many slots they want for inventory...

But the part you quoted said exactly what I said... that a DLL edit is required to increase maximum and you can't do that with an XML change. So keep the standard level where the designers feel it should be but up the maximum so the modders can set it where they want it. Adding something to the options menu is just a convenience and not the root of the problem.

But on that note, having the options menu designed by XML would be great, too. :p

Roland the problem is that the GUI you can edit in the XML

But the Table that stores the Items is defined in the DLL.

Means you cant raise the available Backpackslots without edit the DLL and break so EAC.

I would like to add 4 or 8 Additional Slots, because i would like to add a few items the player should have with him all the time.

I simply cant, inside my eac friendly mod

The plan is to remove all negative effects from items. So it will give you +x against cold, and maybe even +x against hot, but it will never make you cold in a hot area, or hot in a cold area. It will just be "positive protection". Whether its enough or not, depends on where you are, perks, quality and magnitude of the protection, etc.

Like Muscleshirt reduce Temperature by -10 in Hot Desert but give only +1 in cold snow biome ?

Thats nice

The plan is to remove all negative effects from items. So it will give you +x against cold, and maybe even +x against hot, but it will never make you cold in a hot area, or hot in a cold area. It will just be "positive protection". Whether its enough or not, depends on where you are, perks, quality and magnitude of the protection, etc.

Bamn! So can't wait for that. :encouragement:(OK I can wait..)

that means Duster, cowboy hat and cowboy boots in the desert... ^^and it means there could be perks for heat or cold resistance.

At the very least it means you can wear a cowboy hat in the snow and still be better off than not wearing anything (unlike now).

that means Duster, cowboy hat and cowboy boots in the desert... ^^and it means there could be perks for heat or cold resistance.

I hope they have a "sweating" buff that prevents heat stroke unless your body cant sweat any more. Its improbable a person would get Heat Stroke if they are still sweating. Heat Exhaustion would be most likely. Its the difference between dying and not dying.

I hope they have a "sweating" buff that prevents heat stroke unless your body cant sweat any more. Its improbable a person would get Heat Stroke if they are still sweating. Heat Exhaustion would be most likely. Its the difference between dying and not dying.

Sweating could simulated through a faster loss of water, requiring you to drink more or die pretty quickly. Heat exhaustion would be what happens after your water level goes to zero.

As for what modders can or can not do - one must not ignore the effort or qualification required to do something.

Sure, a small handful of modders can do crazy SDX mods but how many can not?

The more powerful the "simple" (and far more compatible) XML modding capability is, the more modders can create awesome content with it without having to be "real coders".

Want a hidden counter to increase whenever the player enters a new biome? That's XML now.

Want a "dazed" buff to trigger when your blood pressure is low and you get up after being crouched too long? XML.

Want a "zen repair overdrive" buff after you've repaired 10 blocks in under 15 seconds? XML.

Unable to use 2-handed weapons/items with one broken arm? Yup, XML.

A zombie entity is no longer completely separate from a player entity so if a zombie were to have an item or buff or skill that increases block damage or negates some of your armor value... guess what...

Just a few random examples.

I have no idea where all this angst is coming from.

This patch is a massive framework overhaul on the gameplay front and it will be ready when it's ready. Right now there are way too many cables and parts strewn all over the floor to even properly test it. (and this is normal)

Sure there's a new syntax to wrap your head around but hey - are you mice or modders? =P

A17 is a big box of new types of LEGO modding pieces in addition to all the gameplay and prefab overhauls.

And if some more wooden sticks bite the dust - cry me a river =)

Sounds so good. I do not have any experience on unity to do some crazy mods and do not have the time to learn... bring more and more options to xml mods will be a awesome christmas gift for us, the lazy programmers who wants a few things. :D

@madmole

- Are you planning to add a swampy biome wrapped in fog?

- For modmeykers need zombie spawn in the form of a block .. If you do, we will get a bunch of new ideas.

- Do you plan to add the opportunity for players to listen to their music?

- Will there be an analog of the power armor of Fallout 4?

- Will new weapons be added? Homemade muskets, Rifle m4, cannons and martyrs?

cannons:

Potato Cannons with Gasoline/Molotov Firebomb Ammo:

- Do you plan to add mice, rats and other insects?

We don't expect people to play non stop until each alpha comes out. Take a break and check out the next alpha when its ready. It keeps you sane.

Well Madmole... I do! I love the game so much that I play just about everyday... No complaints; just a lot of fun! All 5751 hours of it (so far) since I got the game (was at Alpha 10.1).

We don't expect people to play non stop until each alpha comes out. Take a break and check out the next alpha when its ready. It keeps you sane.

This is exactly what my group does. We jump right into each new alpha and play it until... we're done. Then just play other games until the next one. Otherwise, burnout is sure to follow and well... that's pretty much why EA fails for a lot of games. I'd rather not personally put 7D2D into that category and enjoy the final product when its done as I want to see it succeed and just otherwise play all of the cool stuff that'll be there when its complete.

Archived