Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Okay... So I have a question for Roland and Madmole...

When would be a really good time to check back into this thread for more updates? I'm starting to get to the point about forgetting all together. Only stopping in a couple times a week now. Sooo... Not looking for a video promise or a date as to when any info or anything really will be released. Just a gut check on when would be around a good time to check back in.

Setting a calendar reminder at this point. :p

When would be a really good time to check back into this thread for more updates? I'm starting to get to the point about forgetting all together. Only stopping in a couple times a week now. Sooo... Not looking for a video promise or a date as to when any info or anything really will be released. Just a gut check on when would be around a good time to check back in.

WYNsN15.jpg

Or check here: http://7d2d.rocks

Well, I'm still checking in daily but you're sounding more like a once every 2-3 weeks kinda guy... ;)

Sorry about that. Here is some info for you so that you can reset the timer:

Some team members are in the middle of working on the new comprehensive buff system that includes reworking skills, perks, wellness, and weapons. Pretty much anything in the game that creates a modifier in status triggered by some event is being overhauled and unified into a single unified system and they are in the midst of it so those systems are broken currently and not showable for a video.

Other team members are in the middle of working on as of yet unmentionable changes that are both exciting and unnerving concerning the survival aspect of the game. I’ve said too much....

Still others continue to level design POIs but it’s sort of spoilerish to keep showing every new POI before you play it in game and I think most people get the idea about how those will work and we don’t need to keep seeing more of those until we find them ourselves.

There are others in the middle of working on the quest system which also affects sleepers, POIs, and loot among other things. Not ready to show.

There are others continuing to work on animations which will directly affect when bandits will get implemented.

There is also that other thing....

Finally, there are others who are working on the update to Unity 2017 looking for ways to optimize and take advantage of the new tools and features of the updated engine.

Connection to Community Restored!

THIS! This made my cravings disappear as a horde of vultures!

Love the short update!

Are you even aware of the levels of hype your posts are bringing to the forums? You madman.

All the mods that return the hype bars to the main screen will......mmmmmrph .....aaaaaaahhhh.... as well.

I would rather have weapon mods than parts, tbh. I'm pretty sure most weapon parts found in the game just get scrapped or sold by players anyways.

This will happen with mods as well. How many laser targetters for your .44 magnum can you use? One.

(I'm all for weapon mods. But this is not the reason to want them)

I still haven't updated to Unity 2017 myself and wouldn't want to know how much work they would have to do with a project of this size...it takes me days just to get my project functional after the Unity 5 updates...some of the new things definitely seem worthwhile though!

Looking forward to the buff system and new guns/items/loot...a Borderlands or Diablo type loot thing will definitely make it more interesting and push people to explore and loot harder

All the mods that return the hype bars to the main screen will......mmmmmrph .....aaaaaaahhhh.... as well.

This will happen with mods as well. How many laser targetters for your .44 magnum can you use? One.

(I'm all for weapon mods. But this is not the reason to want them)

This is where you're wrong. You could find one laser targetter and decide if you want to use it on your magnum, rifle or shotgun. After deciding which gun gets it, the others would have to wait till you find more laser targetters. However, if you find a magnum part... you can only use it on your one magnum... and it doesn't really offer much, it's just a piece of a puzzle that you have to solve to get a fully working gun.

In the end, weapon mods will clean up a lot of clutter. Obviously, there are other reasons to have weapon mods, but saving up memory space is also a pretty good one.

I get hit from 10 feet away all the time, sometimes when they aren't even swinging in my direction. I'd die much less if I didn't. Got bleeding out 3 times from 3 lumberjacks in a row just tonight, not one of them was ever close enough to hit me when they swung. Had the bandages to cover it but still annoying. Ping is pretty much always 50-100max with 2 players. When we tried a "local hosted dedicated" the one who was running the dedi thought it was even worse for him than usual even though he was only at 20 ping on the same computer(pretty decent PC too, he just upgraded it). But then the next week I couldn't even see the server so we gave up on that idea anyway.

The moon does change phases but I have no idea how it's scheduled. I had thought at one point it might be cool to have the phases take a week so every full moon is blood moon. Still not sure why it sometimes turns blue though.

what do you have your FOV set to depending on the setting it can appear as if things are hitting you from further away and that you can even hit them from further but you really aren't. its just because of your FOV setting. it tottaly changes the perspective of your char.

All this Roland teasing us with tidbits of information:

-New HUD with wellness(ish) and health!

-New and Improved Al's Marina and Burrito Bar!

-AIRSHIPS!

has got me thirsty for more! A scene from my favorite Anti-Hero movie of all time comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QK2T7I5uUA&t=1m12s

Feel free to turn him into the Duke of Navazgane!

I’ll just say this:

All the mods that return the fullness and hydration bars to the main screen will......mmmmmrph .....aaaaaaahhhh....

Roland....use your avatar to communicate.....blink once if the bars will be added back to HUD, twice if the bars will be added back to HUD, don't blink if the bars will be added back to HUD, close eyes if bars will be added back to HUD, or knock 3 times on the ceiling if.........never mind...that one was for the missus below me...

Roland....use your avatar to communicate.....blink once if the bars will be added back to HUD, twice if the bars will be added back to HUD, don't blink if the bars will be added back to HUD, close eyes if bars will be added back to HUD, or knock 3 times on the ceiling if.........never mind...that one was for the missus below me...

But what if Roland's avatar has unyielding soul sucking green eyes? Then what?

This is where you're wrong. You could find one laser targetter and decide if you want to use it on your magnum, rifle or shotgun. After deciding which gun gets it, the others would have to wait till you find more laser targetters. However, if you find a magnum part... you can only use it on your one magnum...

That is if laser targetters fit on any weapon, but lets assume that. If weapon mods get found with the same frequency as weapon parts, and the number of slots won't be higher, after about the same time you still will have lots of unused or inferior mods lying around that (in your own words) " just get scrapped or sold by players anyways".

This is simple mathematics. After finding 3 laser targetters (and assuming the typical player uses about 3 guns, one for each munition type) any more are just scrap. And as soon as you find a laser targetter Mk2, one of the old laser targetters is practically scrap material. The basic hunt for better mods will still be not much different than the basic hunt for better quality parts, just that the simple quality number is replaced by your subjective estimation of the value of the buff effect

So the thing where mods differ from parts has more to do with the new buff system. So it is possible to have mods with special effects (even though realism purists won't like it) that make them better in specific situations. Example: A shock effect that freezes monsters for a short duration but does less damage would be interesting in close combat situations and POI-fights. A mod that makes more damage against irradiated (irrespective of how that is explained) would be put in a spare weapon used whenever irradiated turn up.

and it doesn't really offer much, it's just a piece of a puzzle that you have to solve to get a fully working gun.

Absolutely. But the main difference is that parts don't have effects. If TFP was of the opinion that realism is for the meek, they could as easily have added effects aka buffs to the parts in A17 and got most of the advantages mods promise to give. Renaming them to Mods just makes explaining easier.

That is if laser targetters fit on any weapon, but lets assume that. If weapon mods get found with the same frequency as weapon parts, and the number of slots won't be higher, after about the same time you still will have lots of unused or inferior mods lying around that (in your own words) " just get scrapped or sold by players anyways".

This is simple mathematics. After finding 3 laser targetters (and assuming the typical player uses about 3 guns, one for each munition type) any more are just scrap. And as soon as you find a laser targetter Mk2, one of the old laser targetters is practically scrap material. The basic hunt for better mods will still be not much different than the basic hunt for better quality parts, just that the simple quality number is replaced by your subjective estimation of the value of the buff effect

So the thing where mods differ from parts has more to do with the new buff system. So it is possible to have mods with special effects (even though realism purists won't like it) that make them better in specific situations. Example: A shock effect that freezes monsters for a short duration but does less damage would be interesting in close combat situations and POI-fights. A mod that makes more damage against irradiated (irrespective of how that is explained) would be put in a spare weapon used whenever irradiated turn up.

Absolutely. But the main difference is that parts don't have effects. If TFP was of the opinion that realism is for the meek, they could as easily have added effects aka buffs to the parts in A17 and got most of the advantages mods promise to give. Renaming them to Mods just makes explaining easier.

Yes, all that is obvious, what I'm saying is that one can't deny it's better to have let's say 5-6 weapon mods total that work with all guns than 20 gun parts, each of them serving only one slot in one gun. Besides, right now gun parts are absolutey everywhere and most have such crappy quality that they're not even worth taking, whereas I'm pretty sure weapon mods won't be as easy to find at all and can still be useful even if they're low quality, kinda like flashlights now. So, at the end of the day you'd end up with way less junk in your inventory and crates than now.

Regarding nutrition, TFPs should have needs for different types of food. For instance, the need to have protein and carbs, separately . Will make a need for farming and hunting. Instead of just going hunting and being on a caveman diet.

uhm, isn't "caveman" diet (as in whatever we can find that is edible) part of the early survival deal?

Yes, all that is obvious, what I'm saying is that one can't deny it's better to have let's say 5-6 weapon mods total that work with all guns than 20 gun parts, each of them serving only one slot in one gun. Besides, right now gun parts are absolutey everywhere and most have such crappy quality that they're not even worth taking, whereas I'm pretty sure weapon mods won't be as easy to find at all and can still be useful even if they're low quality, kinda like flashlights now. So, at the end of the day you'd end up with way less junk in your inventory and crates than now.

Would be cool if you needed the work bench, tools, and knowledge (books?) to be able to modify weapons.

what do you have your FOV set to depending on the setting it can appear as if things are hitting you from further away and that you can even hit them from further but you really aren't. its just because of your FOV setting. it tottaly changes the perspective of your char.

I've never changed it from whatever the default is. It's quite clear how far away you are, and also quite clear when they aren't even swinging in your direction. If they're a full running jump away, they probably shouldn't be able to hit you. It's just the way it(almost always) works... if you are within range when they decide to start attacking you, they'll hit you when they finish the attack no matter where you are by that time. Might as well just have them all work like the hazmat guys and hit you as soon as they start the animation since they'll hit you anyway.

Has to be some sort of a lag thing with my redneck internet(or the game). Ping never terribly high when I check but strange stuff always happens.

I hope you will fix your game and add better mod support or even steamworkshop so modders can actually work on making the game fun and balanced

Wow, there. The mod support is already incredible and offers countless of new ideas and features, and anything you dislike can be changed to your liking. Steamworkshop is planned, but finishing the game should come first.

I've never changed it from whatever the default is. It's quite clear how far away you are, and also quite clear when they aren't even swinging in your direction. If they're a full running jump away, they probably shouldn't be able to hit you. It's just the way it(almost always) works... if you are within range when they decide to start attacking you, they'll hit you when they finish the attack no matter where you are by that time. Might as well just have them all work like the hazmat guys and hit you as soon as they start the animation since they'll hit you anyway.

Has to be some sort of a lag thing with my redneck internet(or the game). Ping never terribly high when I check but strange stuff always happens.

I had something similar happen to me. My group has a rented server and we played vanilla and valmod with A15 and vanilla with early A16. When A16 was somewhat stable (A16.3) we tried War of the Walkers and suddenly I often got hit even after moving away from a zombie or the zombie hitting somewhere else. This might have gotten better after I reduced graphics quality but I'm not sure. The effect definitely vanished after we changed to Ravenhearst.

Since WotW and Ravenhearst are both very big mods, size of the mod alone is probably not the cause, my internet connection is quite good and didn't change, so probably not the cause either.

Archived