Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

But then the health bar shows up. And I'm trying to figure out a reason like how the food and water bars were removed for less screen clutter. That health bar is extremely immersion breaking and VERY obtrusive. I won't complain and call for its removal but i do hope it is moddable because there is a certain amount of fear in NOT knowing if you can tackle a challenge.

This just feels too arcadey and like too much hand holding. Sorry MM i loved everything else though, the houses continue to amaze me and the shower curtain and stair railings were very well done. Can't wait for A17.

Exactly. I'm not saying it should be removed either, I'm saying it should be moddable.

Health bar for enemies, but still no food and water. I know the discussion leaned towards us knowing when we are hungry so we use the audio cues, which is actually a pretty good explanation of why we don't have the bars.

But then the health bar shows up. And I'm trying to figure out a reason like how the food and water bars were removed for less screen clutter. That health bar is extremely immersion breaking and VERY obtrusive. I won't complain and call for its removal but i do hope it is moddable because there is a certain amount of fear in NOT knowing if you can tackle a challenge.

This just feels too arcadey and like too much hand holding. Sorry MM i loved everything else though, the houses continue to amaze me and the shower curtain and stair railings were very well done. Can't wait for A17.

upvote.gif

Health bar for enemies, but still no food and water. I know the discussion leaned towards us knowing when we are hungry so we use the audio cues, which is actually a pretty good explanation of why we don't have the bars.

Agree with this all the way, however I do like the XP bar subtly on top of the toolbelt.

In a normal world you simply dont know if a enemy is death. This takes away a huge part of the scare if you know that a enemy will be death in a known amount of hits. And he will not stand up again.

Maybe in a future version you consider to mark bosses a other way. Would be nice for the people that prefer Survival Horror over Arcade Shooter.

But ok, if you say "try the bosses first" we try the bosses first ^^

I have to say I agree with this.

I don't like the healthbars either. I don't want the game to tell me if I have a chance to win or not, I want to take my chances and probably die or run away. That just feels really cheap.

Why can't we disable it? It surely wouldn't be too hard to add the option to do so in the XML files...

I think according to the current game format this is cheap as well and at a minimum should be something that can be disabled. It might be interesting to see how it plays out but it does seem to lean toward arcade / console nerfing.

I had a similar idea... What if all houses / POIs are pre-wired with working electronics.

For example; all light switches, fridges, tv's and other electronics are connected to an internal or external switch board that can be connected to a power source (generator) and then the whole house comes alive with working light switches, fridges that keep food for longer and working plumbing... Kind of a long shot I know but it would be a-F***ing amazing.

I like this idea. Especially later in the game when you are traveling particularly in random gen.

Jax, as I previously quoted some others; I agree. If it is mod-able I suppose that would be alright but we seem headed down the path of appealing to the arcade crowd. I am not for that but at the end of the day I am not the dev so it is what it is.

everything was great except that health bar.. i dont want to know if i can or cant take out a zombie. i want to find out by it eating me when i fail! one shot... didnt do enough damage..run away. and you wanted to stop people hiding at bedrock..lol

feels like my PC is turning into a console

Nice to see progress on the main features of A17! You know, bandits and breadcrumbs.

Please guys, don't keep on postponing it. I've allmost reached the phase where I'm accepting that bandits and the breadcrumb system will not make it into the game this alpha as well..

Yeah I do agree the health bar on the enemies is arcade looking. I have told people to mod it out before if they don't like it so hopefully this will be able to be mod out and this will differently be something I mod out.

One thing I didn't notice was what day ot was. It showed the time but not the day. If this is true yes yes yes. I know this will suck on open servers and pvp not knowing what day it is. Maybe the option to look on the menu screen or something will have something. Or maybe I just didn't look hard enough in the video and going on about nothing lol.

With the addition of the Health Bar for zombies this game will really something akin to the Ranger Mode from the Metro series. A mode or setting that removes much of the HUD/Crosshairs health bars etc. Or something akin to Realism mode in Left 4 Dead 2. Then new players can enjoy the game with a lot of visual feedback guiding and helping them and veterans/masochists/survivalists can play with this mode on.

But I guess this for now will be something we will need to turn to modding for.

I liked all the other stuff I saw in the video. Though I am wondering what happened to the standard weapon parts, seems they have been removed in favor of mods. Does this mean eventually all weapons come with like default parts on each slot that can be swapped out, or is the base weapon just no longer composed of parts anymore?

With bosses coming it was needed so you know if you even have a chance. Its also a nice way of feeling your actual progression or gauging if an enemy can be slain or not based on the amount of damage you are dishing out. Its actually pretty cool, but no you can't disable it. When you face your first boss you will be glad we put it in. I'm sure mods can disable it, but its a nice way to tell how strong your enemies are.

It will only be for bosses or all?

I think the health bar should be on bosses only... going to break the immersion big time for me otherwise.

Yeah i'm with you on this one, Bosses only it's for the best. But if we do have to keep it can you make it slimmer it was pretty prominent and i kept focusing on it rather than what was going on.

Edit: (Gosh now i know how Roland felt about the food bar)

Other than that everything looked ace :)

Actully I like the health bar (well , maybe its height could be 50% of what is now) but it gives pretty much an idea if you are idiot with a wooden club against some crazy pumped up creature, or agains some lazy lady pissed of life. Knowing your chances is a good thing.

Lets wait and test it first ingame, then give a feedback. This is why this community exists.

Yes, because now the ladder is a high-speed elevator in the game)) And we can shoot from the bow when both hands are occupied on the stairs)))

I could free both my hands on a ladder to use bow. Maybe not pickaxe though :)

The shown magazine extender worked fine. It was tier 1 and increased capacity from 8 to 8.8.

(all programmer number but technically it works =)

Ok, that's confusing. Why do we need tier 1 magazine extender that increases the magazine less the 1 unit? Are all the modifications going to be lvl 1-600 with decimal changes to numbers you'd have to calculate to see the actual outcome or is it just the state of the development?

As for HEALTH BAR, i would appreciate the ability to turn it off. I'm sure it will be helpful to test out weapon damage, behaviour, range and precision but i might also vote for the thrill of not knowing.

(Also xp bar seems like the last thing i need to know all the time - HUD)

hows the new zombie health bar suiting you Roland? breaks immersion a bit... ? lol

This may have put him over the edge.. Roland?.. You there buddy?.. it's okay.. ♥

To the Pimps and Team, thanks for the update and have a very

image.gifand

hny.gif

Actully I like the health bar (well , maybe its height could be 50% of what is now) but it gives pretty much an idea if you are idiot with a wooden club against some crazy pumped up creature, or agains some lazy lady pissed of life. Knowing your chances is a good thing.

Lets wait and test it first ingame, then give a feedback. This is why this community exists.

You are right and I probably will give it a chance like I do with everything else.

but going by preferences and what I like I most likely know the answer and if it is possible it will be modded out for sure. I personally don't like knowing. Just like the HUD agree with Roland on that and feel the same. So this is definitely going to be up at the top of things with it. I personally want to take the chance, with this it looks like oh yes he is about dead I can knife him and save bullets. Yes I make better choices but that is because the game is pretty much telling me to make that choice because I know. Yes I can ignore it and not do it the smart way but that is just dumb. Of course if I know I will use the best item for the job. Not knowing makes me make choices that I might regret. For me that is the fun of it. So like I said I will try it out but it most likely will be something I mod out.

This may have put him over the edge.. Roland?.. You there buddy?.. it's okay.. ♥

The problem appears to be Roland thinks its a survival game with as much realism as possible while retaining the fun and TFP still seem to be exploring what the game should be. I think they look at top sellers and try to emulate some things.

Bottom line, one play through and you will know when you can take on some high tier Zombies, target status bar or not. I still don't understand the XP (Fallout 4?) bar, but what do I know?

**Edit: With Boss tier zombies patiently waiting in an attic with a pile of loot not being used... This might be the kill shot to believability.

Why are they waiting there?

Who put them there?

Why is the loot not used? Is it stored for a rainy day by the New World Order? A planned massive assault against some group and the supplies will be used then?

Kurt Vonnegut said a great story requires everything to want something, even if its a glass of water.

Maybe because no one forces you to install it in this particular gun...?

My guess is that it increases ammo capacity by 10% at lowest quality, and increased quality gives higher increase to ammo capacity. Is that correct? So on a weapon that holds 30 rounds, now it holds 33. But a higher quality version might allow for 45 rounds?

Archived