Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Modders are not rebuilding the foundations of the game that's why. Think about it like this; Modders are the people who come in your house to paint, move furniture around, hang that new 80 inch t.v. and The developers (fun pimps) are the ones designing the house, installing the pipes, sewer lines, electrical, insulation, laying a strong foundation so the house doesn't erode etc.

The Fun Pimps are designing new systems and changing the game on the lowest level.

Modders use that to add stuff in.

Its far more complex

1: Even at large Companys, there are mostly more modders than Developers

2: Modders have a other (much lower) level of quality they "need" to deliver.

3: Modder produce nearly never for different Platforms

4: Modder partially work up to 19/7

5: Modders mostly work alone, so no need to arrange terms. (This can use up to 30-50-70% of the worktime. Depending on many factors)

x: Modder dont Translate Content, have no legal department that can slowdown development, or have other necessities that slow them down. They work mostly simply self-reliant.

And yes, modder start to work in a given environment. Developers have it a bit harder, because they cant simply "Test the next Version and look how their work will fit into it"

This post:

it always reminds me to minecraft. Played it from the first version of, there wasnt even a downloadable client for it, only browserversion. I played to every new patch from scratch over and over again. New patch, i started new game to enjoy this new 3-4 features. Sometimes there was no patch for nearly a year. After some years i was tired to replay it over and over again and i forgott the game with so much potenzial.

Now there are gigantic modpackcompilations with so much content its nearly impossible to explore all that in a human lifetime BUT the game is over for me. I waited to many years for patches, for content, for anything. I started to much from new for features like "trees can now drop apples" after 8 month of no patch.

I have seen the patchlog of the devs in comparsion to the existing singleplayer mods.

Devs patchlog:

- trees can now spawn apples

- 1,5new blocks

- Bugfix nr. 359736

- nothing, some png textures, ....

the modders:

- a gigantic heaven world with flying animals you can put a saddle on it

- set item clothes with effects wich gives you epic new gameplayfeatures

- dungeons, content, farmin and gathering

- gigantic animal mods, a farmin mod, dungeon mods

How can a modder bring your content way faster and (sometimes) better than you???

The garage door was allready ingame as mod in 7days before you patched it, the special workbenches was allready ingame as mod, the curreny system was allready implemented on mp servers before you bring that feature, even electric mod was earlier there before you patched it.

The jobsystem is allready there, starving mods, hardcore mods, driveable cars mod.

You are hiring new team members actually and i appreciate that. It seems every single feature on the to do list takes around 1year to implement.

Why cant you hiring the modding community into your game? There are hundreds of good employees for free out there, maybe more motivated to pimp that game than some of you. Give them a plugin to help you, be a part of it. This modders will be a great part of your game anyways in every stage of it from alpha-beta-to release.

I just dont want to the start new when the cars come in A17, the helicopter in A18, some dungeons and gameplay with new itemsystem in A19, fightabillities like combosystem/critchance deeper mechanics in A20,...

In 3 years we will go beta for another year or 2...

and then after 6 years, feels like the game is old like a 1995 game for me, my mate tells:"WOW, have you seen it? 7days is ready, its released!!!"

It takes another 1 or 2 years till all the mods are compatible into gigantic modpacks with endless content barely to reach in a human lifetime.

I will be old at this time, decades further than i started in A10, played 1500 hours+ waiting for patches and content, dreamin about the possibillitys the game has,...

then i just realise: Sry mate, the game is dead for me. Its outplayed. The new generation of gamers who found this game in this stage for the first time will be very very happy with it, but for me, one of the alpha players its just to late.

Compared to this post:

You mean after then around 2000-10 000 Hours of gameplay you have enough of it .... you should really ask to get your money back !

#Realitymode on

And in future, stay away from EA if you dont like to have early access to a game in development

No need to be rude. -.-

*Raises eyebrow* and you didn't have an issue with playlessNamer post being rude? :numbness:

Btw he quoted my post before i edited a bit. (So soon that the post is not marked as edited) (say this to prevent missunderstandings)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and one of the side effects is that guns no longer enforce the reload. You have to pull the trigger on an empty weapon to make it reload.

Blunderbuss reloaded ^^

When you're out drinking and having fun then the morning after comes in and...

Yeah, reality can be rude at times. :p

*Perspective* That a situation where you should be thinking you just saved 1 person that night. You did a service! don't be ashamed.

Modders are not rebuilding the foundations of the game that's why. Think about it like this; Modders are the people who come in your house to paint, move furniture around, hang that new 80 inch t.v. and The developers (fun pimps) are the ones designing the house, installing the pipes, sewer lines, electrical, insulation, laying a strong foundation so the house doesn't erode etc.

The Fun Pimps are designing new systems and changing the game on the lowest level.

Modders use that to add stuff in.

Well said and as a modder I can say what I do is no where as hard or time consuming as what the pimps do.

- - - Updated - - -

Royal's reply was far nicer than mine would have been.

The original post just goes to prove the old adage...

"Knowing what you're talking about is not a requirement for having an opinion"

+1000

That quote is spot on.

snip.

It's not too late for you Playless.

Simply stop playing now, uninstall the game, and stay away from these forums. In a couple of years reinstall the game and browse Steam workshop for all the gigantic mod packs with endless content to find one to try out. Nobody is forcing you to get burnt out on the game before it reaches its potential...

This is exactly my thought for some time. No shame to learn coding, but can take too long. The developers of this game [deleted]. Of course this is still the best Zombie survival game out there yet, because the 0 close competition.

Ditto of what I said to Playless for you too, Bub. Nobody is holding your hand to the mouse to keep playing the game while it is in development. No shame in admitting that early access isn't for you. There's lots of things I don't have patience for and guess what? I simply avoid them. If you are jonesing for the finished product with full easy to install mods instead of the journey of watching this game develop over time then for goodness sake please stop torturing yourself and go play something that is done and shelve this game for a couple of years....

Now the good news is that item / buff / skill effects now all feed into the same system using the same properties and syntax.

So 1 system to bugfix instead of 3 systems fighting each other. =)

It sounds so sweet! Working with those buffs/skill effects on the same system allow you guys to manage the buffs in a easy way and expand the options about new buffs/skills effects.

@Gazz, I'm not very happy with the actual material harvest system (overhit + buffs) it will be changed on A17 (I've suggested a change on a thread with a code and some tests)? If not, could you tell me if it can be moded with the new mod friendly version?

Keep up with the good job guys :D

Ditto of what I said to Playless for you too, Bub. Nobody is holding your hand to the mouse to keep playing the game while it is in development. No shame in admitting that early access isn't for you. There's lots of things I don't have patience for and guess what? I simply avoid them. If you are jonesing for the finished product with full easy to install mods instead of the journey of watching this game develop over time then for goodness sake please stop torturing yourself and go play something that is done and shelve this game for a couple of years....

Early access means early access...

So yeah.

I still think they should talk to some of these modders and work with them or hire them or something. some of these mods are amazing, and would benefit the game hugely. i really like this game, and enjoy playing it with my husband, one MP servers with 20-50 other people. :D

the resource is there, grab it by the bawls pimps! :D

Funny like

Hey TFP member that was hired from Community, TFP should hire community Members.

You are so dumb to miss that chance !

Later....

I still think they should talk to some of these modders and work with them or hire them or something. some of these mods are amazing, and would benefit the game hugely. i really like this game, and enjoy playing it with my husband, one MP servers with 20-50 other people. :D

/Facepalm

536px-Triple-facepalm.jpg

What you're missing and others don't want to share is that they've done exactly that.

Well for me personally, I just don't get the obsessive push on this subject...

The Pimps obviously have there own vision of the game, and this very likely is not exactly what any mod does.

The bigger the team, the harder the logistics. This could easily kill the modders creativity.

Do any modder actually want to join the team as a modder? So not full team member you see...

There are many many more reasons why your suggestion just does not make sense...

Mods are free! For example... Why should TFP hire?

Also, you can just download the mod you like :). There are many different ones, so game life is extended a lot... Win.

But that's just one man's humble opinion (to quote a great streamer ;) )

When you're out drinking and having fun then the morning after comes in and...

Yeah, reality can be rude at times. :p

*Perspective* That a situation where you should be thinking you just saved 1 person that night. You did a service! don't be ashamed.

Somehow, the song "Walk on the Wild Side" seems it might fit in here. :) Maybe Roland will sing it for us.

Archived