Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I'm considering just disabling the drops... at day 60 they just aren't worth the trip for a low level gun, enough ammo to off yourself if surrounded, and a pile of canned food no one will eat because we have a farm and more meat than you can shake a stick at (1200!)

I think bears are spawned more often later game as a threat, but when you have perks and decent weapons, bears are a meat delivery system.

For balance, bears shouldn't increase in later game, and bear meat yield should possibly be lowered so its harder to aquire.

Also mulling over the upcoming patch.. if its all xml balance changes, why not just hold off until there are more significant changes like rwg fixes, optimisations, more equipment mods, quests, pois, or core code changes?

We have modlets to adjust balance pretty easily right now, so they aren't really critical.

Also, can you change functionality so itemicons and resources for modlets can be pushed by servers? There are some nice new additions like the windmill for early game power that have model assets that need to be installed on clients, since they can't currently be pushed.

Oh, also on game progress and how we are seeing it fall out...

Early game we occasionally used the magazines for the perks, but once you invest in skills the magazines just pile up or are scrapped as paper.

There either needs to be a significant buff from more rare magazines that is more worthwhile, or they might as well just be removed and replaced by more mods.

Maybe a Decapitator Monthly 100% chance of Decapition magazine, a Major Miner buff that doubles mining yield, a Bottomless well buff that negates beer drinking effects making the kill while drunk quest easier, or that sort of thing.

Adding a buff that requires the major category level makes them pretty worthless now, because you can earn that perk on your next level up.

Looks like they put something more ( content,changes,balancing ) into the 17.1 expi patch.

Little bit exited...

Yes, b8 started building an hour ago, but it still has food/water bugs. There are changes with that and they are working through the bugs and it looks like one bug remains, so b9 is likely. In the meantime I just finished several AI destroy area improvements.

Oh, also on game progress and how we are seeing it fall out...

Early game we occasionally used the magazines for the perks, but once you invest in skills the magazines just pile up or are scrapped as paper.

...snip...

Every skill and recipe in the game coming from spending points is one of my least favorite things in A17. Don't get me wrong. I like the new skill trees but did EVERYTHING have to move to it? I don't know why anyone bothers even looting a book store now. They went from my "must find" poi list to my "what a waste of a building" poi list. :(

Yes, b8 started building an hour ago, but it still has food/water bugs. There are changes with that and they are working through the bugs and it looks like one bug remains, so b9 is likely. In the meantime I just finished several AI destroy area improvements.

Were you guys able to add that separate menu option for zombie block damage? In my humble opinion after reading so much feedback, I think it would be a big crowd pleaser. :)

Every skill and recipe in the game coming from spending points is one of my least favorite things in A17. Don't get me wrong. I like the new skill trees but did EVERYTHING have to move to it? I don't know why anyone bothers even looting a book store now. They went from my "must find" poi list to my "what a waste of a building" poi list. :(

Try learning how to make herbal antibiotics...

I do agree that bookstores seem kinda pointless now. If books were at least used as part of recipes then they'd be valuable again. Magazines are underwhelming, and paper can be found in many other places.

I do agree that bookstores seem kinda pointless now. If books were at least used as part of recipes then they'd be valuable again. Magazines are underwhelming, and paper can be found in many other places.

This is what I miss and strongly think we need, POI specific loot.

It would also make us venture out from our comfort zones to other settlements looking for a particular POI so we could possibly find that special item (A) we need to complete (B)...

Actually there are no skills anymore 😟 my one and only big disappointment. I hope that at least harvest and fighting skills will make a comeback... Yeah, I get your point. I hope for some recipes will make a comeback as well. Despite that amazing alpha. Cheers

For books, Permanent small stat upgrades would be the way to go. +5 hp .. etc

Magazines are just terrible design right now. They keep trying to emulate Fallout which is a lesser game imo. In my eyes it's like Gordon Ramsay trying to emulate the cook at Denny's.

Instead of trying to come up with cool and different ideas they just try to copy other lesser games, then try to add a little spin on it. This game probably has the highest hours played per player than any other game on steam. I don't understand how they cannot see how special this game is.

Anyway, I do miss the RNG and excitement that was trying to find a specific book and having to adapt to that. Then again I'm a gambling man so...

When did the game start remembering zombies and their location? When I first started playing the game (a few alphas ago), I would use the noob cheat of logging out to despawn screamers.

I used to do this too, but always felt a little dirty doing it.

I certainly hope the game starts remembering NPCs (zombies included), so that someday I can realize a dream of modding in persistent NPC communities.

Something like that would be cool. But for +5, would need to be a crazy small drop rate. Or make it like +1 and have it a little more possible to get, lol.

I'm currently working on a cvar around healthy living that rewards you with additional hp depending on the things you eat for a certain time after eating them.

So those books as well could modify a cvar e.g. health for an amount of time - even though i have never felt healthier or more resiliant after reading something.

But I am also looking into making a perk that costs an immense amount of points so noone can buy it - however, reading a certain schem unlocks that perk temporary - thus unlocking a set of recipes triggered by that perk which after a time you "forget how to craft" until you read it again.

Those kinds of things I would love to have from the pimps though as the underlying logic is quite evident.

A few feedback items I'd like to share with the devs.

1.) Can you please make the "Secure Storage Chest" not destructible by your vehicles, or non collision. I can't count how many times I accidentally rubbed against it with my vehicle causing me to scramble to try and collect everything in the backpack and restore it before it goes poof. I routinely use these as temporary storage when I am out scavenging, I have started to place wooden frames down and placing the chest on top to avoid such accidents.

2.) Another secure storage chest issue I have. Have you placed one down in front of a quest POI before starting the quest? Mine disappears if it's too close to the POI proximity when the whole dungeon resets when you activate the marker. Is there a way to keep this from happening, not have the chest disappear on a reset if it's placed too close.

And for curiosity, can you tell me how many meters from the quest POI you can safely place a chest where it won't disappear when you start the quest?

3.) Vultures seem to get a real hard-on for you if they spot you in a vehicle. Is that intended? It turns in a frantic dive bomb party, otherwise they seem to stalk you for a good km or two but hardly come down if you're on foot. It's an especially scarring experience on the bicycle. Maybe add a psychotherapy option to the perks to help me process my anxiety. :cocksure: This isn't really a criticism, it's kind of funny. And they weren't a threat before, but now... thumbs up.

I'm loving the A17 changes, it has really given me a lot of long term goals, whereas before, at this stage I'd be at the point where I thought, okay, what I am working towards? Nothing really. I love the quests and the dungeons, there's always something valuable to find making it worth it. The difficulty is greatly enhanced, I can't do what I used to (just glide through feeling OP), I feel like I am in a real survival mode finally. Great job. I love a game that creates a full journey, I feel like you are moving more and more to that end.

I'm currently working on a cvar around healthy living that rewards you with additional hp depending on the things you eat for a certain time after eating them.

So those books as well could modify a cvar e.g. health for an amount of time - even though i have never felt healthier or more resiliant after reading something.

But I am also looking into making a perk that costs an immense amount of points so noone can buy it - however, reading a certain schem unlocks that perk temporary - thus unlocking a set of recipes triggered by that perk which after a time you "forget how to craft" until you read it again.

Those kinds of things I would love to have from the pimps though as the underlying logic is quite evident.

You have a vision. I have a vision. 7 days is pimps vision ;)

Be thankful you CAN mod and that modding is now easier than ever.

I would like to see books back in for learning things. Maybe i'll adjust xml for that. So much stuff has changed over time I have learned to wait and see. I do have faith in the Pimps and everybody else involved that over time 7dtd will be the best it can be. I especially want vehicle upgrades back like finding better quality engines ,etc giving better performance and efficiency.

You have a vision. I have a vision. 7 days is pimps vision ;)

Be thankful you CAN mod and that modding is now easier than ever.

Not sure why an expression of hope a suggestion makes it into the base game triggers your protective instinct but sure, count +1.

Modding isn't necessarily easier than ever - debugging is a lot worse through having to start an actual game rather than showing errors on boot up and furthermore, some errors in the mods may not be shown at all.

And even though that probably triggered you as well this was constructive criticism by pointing at what makes life harder for me.

Not sure why an expression of hope a suggestion makes it into the base game triggers your protective instinct but sure, count +1.

Modding isn't necessarily easier than ever - debugging is a lot worse through having to start an actual game rather than showing errors on boot up and furthermore, some errors in the mods may not be shown at all.

And even though that probably triggered you as well this was constructive criticism by pointing at what makes life harder for me.

I have NEVER run into an issue with this in A17. If anything the logging is better than ever. You know right away whats wrong etc. And the logs are detailed. I really am confused by what you just said.

Umm I have 20 mods now that all work together mix and match.

So yes it’s easier than ever.

Stop living in the past and also assuming I’m salty.

Mod improvements will come assuredly. Again stop being negative Nancy with me. It won’t provoke anything but love ;)

“Don’t like it...mod it”

I read that very often in the last years but my mind has changed after a short conversation with a friend on discord.

I think that some people are just to lazy or to stupid to “easy mod it”.

With stupid I mean that they need to much time to get use to it so they will not even try it.

He has nearly 2K hours in 7 days but stopped playing A17 after a short time.

It shows me that vanilla need more love with balancing and stuff.

He is only one guy,I know...but I wonder how many of him are out there...

His biggest pain btw is the sleeper spawn depending on your gamestage.

Archived