Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Faatal, did you at least get some sleep last night before bug squashing? I know when I was programming and ran into an issue, my mind would be racing and I had to solve it before I could sleep.

There was nothing to solve, since testing on my own dedicated or MP servers showed no weird vulture movement like the testers had. Today they were not seeing it. I figure it was something weird with their dedicated server.

faatal,

AI pathing question: how does height differential work? Any difference between generated terrain compared to player placed blocks? I'd like to build a hilltop base and wondering if it's reasonable to expect z's to path up a ramp when it raises say 20 blocks. From the testing I've done it seems like they'll take a 13 block tall stairway if there aren't any spikes. But that elevation change was all placed blocks being supported by placed pillars; not naturally occurring terrain.

The spot I'm eyeing is the southern of the two islands in the western lake in Navsegane. On it's north side the high ground's a pretty ideal spot for a small castle, and the spine running down to the south seems custom made to build an access road.

I recall you mentioned a limit to how high/low was being checked; performance impacts which makes perfect sense. Not trying to open the xmas gift early, just wondering if a more medieval approach towards bases might work. :)

---

Hats off to whomever built the new Shotgun Messiah Factory, did a hell of a job. That's one very cool POI. :rockon:

The path grid heights are based on down raycasts hitting colliders, so block type does not matter so much there. The scan height is the entire world height. No limit there. There are then various block checks below/above/next to the heights that are hit, but a path is pretty much just a path through all those linked nodes. The only real difference is what it costs. Going up costs more if you have to jump. If a sideways check hits a low slope, then the cost is the same as just moving sideways.

Destroy area has small limits in how high it will check.

Your previous comment was... for alpha 16. Glad you're still playing ;)

More seriously, in high difficulty, the luminescent zombies regenerate very quickly: the arrows may not be the right solution.

People can turn on debug mode (console dm) and press keypad 0 and watch the zombie health change as they are hit or regen instead of all this guessing what damage are they taking or why does it not die or takes so long.

nice !!! new B221 MP world building 13312 x 13312 on my Linux server. We shall see how fast this goes.

so far using 17.6G VIRT memory during the initial build, it's still working on

2018-12-11T20:48:44 16.224 INF WorldGenerator:Generating Socket Data

"- Reduced zombie kill XP"

I thought that the XP rebalancing would involve raising the XP for the other activities (since besides punching grass, it's fairly low atm), not just lowering the zombie kill XP. This will make progression super slow. I guess we'll see how that plays out.

"- Reduced zombie kill XP"

I thought that the XP rebalancing would involve raising the XP for the other activities (since besides punching grass, it's fairly low atm), not just lowering the zombie kill XP. This will make progression super slow. I guess we'll see how that plays out.

This. I was lead to believe other areas would get a xp buff since zombie kills were getting nerfed. Also, on a percentage basis how much did zombie xp get nerfed?

From the patch notes...

Reduced zombie kill XP

Umm wtf? Literally tens of millions of your players are complaining about the XP grind and how stupid it is that if you want to learn how to do anything, you need to XP and level up, and pretty much the only way to XP/Level is to grind zombies which have no f'ing loot anymore? And now you decrease the XP and make that grind even longer? Yeah, okay. TFP always moving in the right direction.

Lowered Wandering Horde Count and increased delays between Wandering Hordes.

LUL

Meanwhile one of my best tracked downloads is the Increased Wilderness Spawns DL and the Increased Wandering Horde Modlet. There seems to be a disconnect going on here. And with lower zombie XP REDUCING wandering hordes may not be the best way to go here. Hopefully you guys snuck in some xp in other areas.

Since you are on the staff and know the "problem", You should tell us what they are "adding" since they are apparently not just fixing bugs and stuff. I would love some insider info like you have.

For good or bad, the team generally keeps working everyday. Lots of things sneak in during the process of making test builds, but that is fine, since experimental releases are primarily for us to get feedback from the community and for the community to see what we are doing. It is not about a long term or complete gaming experience. That is what stable is for.

We could just dump test versions to experimental every day, but people would have to keep restarting, so we would not get to see them progress very far and some days there would be nasty bugs where they could not do certain things at all.

Archived