Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Clay minerals/particles can form in-situ due to the weathering effect of water and ice. So yes, clay particles tend to always occur in any topsoil. Sands deposited in fluvial, marine, lacustrine or alluvial settings tend to contain some clay minerals (via primary or secondary diagenesis).

However, these particles cannot be harvested from the topsoil, at least with the technology we have in the game. And certainly not in the quantities presented.

So, no, there's no geological reasoning which can justify this decision. Gaming-wise, that's a different matter of course..

Yay science :) even if it is only geology ;)

It has never been one thing holding up release. A17 currently has around a hundred must fix issues, but for A17e, we are down to less than 20 of which 6 of those are mine. It is not a static list. A bug for AI pathing stalls with many players moving around was just added today.

Thank you! These are the kind of info that really keeps up the hype. Thank you and everyone else in TFP for all the hard work:cheer2:

No major changes to mining that I can tell. Come down off your ledges.

This particular streamlining move is welcome having played with it. The map looks much better without all the clay splotches. Honestly, Clay has been ubiquitous but in patches since around A11 and has been pointed out perfectly by the map. It hasn't really been a “quest” or a challenge to “find” clay for quite awhile. I mean if you wanted to complain about easy clay, that should have been organized back in about A11 when it stopped being found only under sand near rivers and lakes and started appearing in deposits all over the map.

Now as a last straw for all you camels who detest streamlining in any form I can understand how the load has become unbearable for you but modding a clay recipe to complexify it and make obtaining clay a true process shouldn’t be too difficult to do.

Streamlining?

Hitting a rock and getting 4 resources from it was silly enough but now every patch of dirt has clay in it.

Finding a clay was never the big deal but finding clay in a clay patch makes sense where this new streamlining pinata version does not.

But as you said, mods.

This particular streamlining move is welcome having played with it. The map looks much better without all the clay splotches. Honestly, Clay has been ubiquitous but in patches since around A11 and has been pointed out perfectly by the map. It hasn't really been a “quest” or a challenge to “find” clay for quite awhile. I mean if you wanted to complain about easy clay, that should have been organized back in about A11 when it stopped being found only under sand near rivers and lakes and started appearing in deposits all over the map.

Now as a last straw for all you camels who detest streamlining in any form I can understand how the load has become unbearable for you but modding a clay recipe to complexify it and make obtaining clay a true process shouldn’t be too difficult to do.

No one is on the ledge. In my opinion removing clay patches is stupid and unnecessary and no amount of trying to say how awesome it feels can change that.

I've always been supportive of the Pimps, doesn't mean I have to agree with everything. Doesn't mean I have to love everything. Hopefully they have a team of people that these ideas are run by. And if they do I don't think everyone always 100 percent agrees with some choices being made. And that ok too. Every great developer always takes into account all the variables, all the different outcomes etc and weighs them against a final decision. Im sure theres a reason for this change.

But this Alpha to me seems to be the Alpha where the game becomes an arcade game. Maybe that's the intention. Maybe it was ALWAYS the intention. But to go from the game we had in A14 to what is now being presented to me is bringing on a feeling of melancholy. You guys got rid of spam crafting and replaced it with a system where, in a one block radius, i can stand with a club and shovel in my hand, look left and right, kill zombies, acquire skill points, level any perk i want, dig straight down and collect numerous resources, plant a plant, buy a perk to get more harvest, drop some points in my pistol skill and all of that without having to ever use a gun, or replant my crop.

From my limited vision inside this development process, considering the game they WERE making from A1-12 I find it interesting that a lot of mechanics and systems are being streamlined. And in my lowly opinion, as a player, I feel the change, along with the cumulative, hurts what I love about the game.

We are all well aware that the Pimps are no longer interested in catering to us. We all read the statement. Doeesnt mean some of us cant look at a game development choice and disagree with it.

It sounds to me like he may be playing Valmod. Referring to "Blacksmith" and (iirc) the mod also reinstated XP for watching things craft in the workbench, campfire etc.

Yeah, I do play that the most. I guess I got all my mods and vanilla really mixed up. Ugh, I'm sorry. At least I got us an answer for clay deposits out of that, lol.

No one is on the ledge. In my opinion removing clay patches is stupid and unnecessary and no amount of trying to say how awesome it feels can change that.

I've always been supportive of the Pimps, doesn't mean I have to agree with everything. Doesn't mean I have to love everything. Hopefully they have a team of people that these ideas are run by. And if they do I don't think everyone always 100 percent agrees with some choices being made. And that ok too. Every great developer always takes into account all the variables, all the different outcomes etc and weighs them against a final decision. Im sure theres a reason for this change.

But this Alpha to me seems to be the Alpha where the game becomes an arcade game. Maybe that's the intention. Maybe it was ALWAYS the intention. But to go from the game we had in A14 to what is now being presented to me is bringing on a feeling of melancholy. You guys got rid of spam crafting and replaced it with a system where, in a one block radius, i can stand with a club and shovel in my hand, look left and right, kill zombies, acquire skill points, level any perk i want, dig straight down and collect numerous resources, plant a plant, buy a perk to get more harvest, drop some points in my pistol skill and all of that without having to ever use a gun, or replant my crop.

From my limited vision inside this development process, considering the game they WERE making from A1-12 I find it interesting that a lot of mechanics and systems are being streamlined. And in my lowly opinion, as a player, I feel the change, along with the cumulative, hurts what I love about the game.

We are all well aware that the Pimps are no longer interested in catering to us. We all read the statement. Doeesnt mean some of us cant look at a game development choice and disagree with it.

Please be careful with stating your opinion like that!! The mods and devs don't seem to like this type of talk. I also feel the game is going in the wrong direction, but I guess we will see how the reviews go once 17 hits.

7 days sounds like its losing that feeling that made it so special.. but maybe I'm wrong!! Ill have to play it for myself to truly know!

Uhhh I just saw a utube video about how a maxed out cooking skill would look like in real live ^^

Now I'm hungry and want a Fifth Element game. Thanks!

Edit: RIP clay patches. I can only wonder how long it will take to make a bunch of cobblestone now.

Plant fibers from digging tops soil isn't really a stretch, at least not where I live. The ground is layered with roots from many different plants, both woody and less fibrous. If you have ever dug ground near Knapweed or white top, the roots are ridiculous. I live in the high mountain desert and plants send out large and extensive root systems presumable to capture water.

Does the continued dumbing down... er, I mean, "streamlining" mean that TFP got the console port back and is going to make it all the same?

Please be careful with stating your opinion like that!! The mods and devs don't seem to like this type of talk. I also feel the game is going in the wrong direction, but I guess we will see how the reviews go once 17 hits.

7 days sounds like its losing that feeling that made it so special.. but maybe I'm wrong!! Ill have to play it for myself to truly know!

He has good point. The game is not going in wrong direction, but we are confused, a lot. Its been a while and we all need not only info, but a gameplay.

Its a matter of time to experience A17, lots of balance will be needed, so if we rage, its not a help. In anyway.

-snip-

Respectfully... Please dont talk on my behalf.

All worries considered, I would certainly hold off on such rants until I've actually played the new experimental...

YAY! I've always wanted to play a console game on my PC!

-A

with this rate of changes we will have starting gear and 5k of coins to spend! Yay alpha 17 where everything is streamed to your convenience! Not trolling, just disappointed in the way the game is going. I just want the game to still be challenging and be where it takes time to gather things and make the better items. There can be a healthy balanced of the game not being super stream lined and it also not being a grind. Seems like the pimps cant find that healthy balance.

calm down everyone. let play it first before spitting words. i (we) may have concerns, but really we do not know exatly, how it feels to play a17. all can be changed, removed, added, modified etc etc. i'm pretty sure, if majority of forum users does not like something, TFP will make it better. but first, we need to play it, to find out, how it feels.

Archived