Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So, does that mean you can go into a POI, fire off a few shotgun rounds, then run out to the street and wait for the building to empty out?

Just want to make sure this doesn't make it unintentionally easy. :)

Personally, I don't think this makes anything "unintentionally" easy. If you're doing that, it's intentional, and not something the developers need to "correct." People can play as they like. You don't want that happening, don't make it happen.

So, does that mean you can go into a POI, fire off a few shotgun rounds, then run out to the street and wait for the building to empty out?

I think only the sleepers in the currently activated volume would wake up and come outside. The volumes you hadn't yet entered would still have passive zeds inside that would only wake up if injured. So you could go in and out several times each time moving deeper in and leading them outside to fight in the street.

Sometimes I've HAD to do that as the only viable strategy as I would've been overwhelmed otherwise in the tight quarters. I don't think that is very unrealistic however. If you want a thrilling jump scare type of experience then creep through and fight as you go. If you want to enter a new area and wake up all the zombies in that volume and lead them outside you can do that too.

But you won't just be able to fire a shotgun in the first room you enter and empty out all the zombies from the entire POI if it is (for example) the new Shotgun Messiah Factory.

I think only the sleepers in the currently activated volume would wake up and come outside. The volumes you hadn't yet entered would still have passive zeds inside that would only wake up if injured. So you could go in and out several times each time moving deeper in and leading them outside to fight in the street.

Sometimes I've HAD to do that as the only viable strategy as I would've been overwhelmed otherwise in the tight quarters. I don't think that is very unrealistic however. If you want a thrilling jump scare type of experience then creep through and fight as you go. If you want to enter a new area and wake up all the zombies in that volume and lead them outside you can do that too.

But you won't just be able to fire a shotgun in the first room you enter and empty out all the zombies from the entire POI if it is (for example) the new Shotgun Messiah Factory.

A factory for shotgun messiah? can't wait to find one of those poi's. Gotta be some good stuff in there.

I don't mean to be terribly stupid, (but at times I think it is a hobby of mine) . Exactly what is "optimization"?

In a very broad sense, keeping it in terms a layman can understand...

Making the game engine run faster, mainly to increase the framerate for the player.

I could go into a massive technical rant about various systems but that about sums up the general idea.

Hey faatal, can you give us some news please? maybe the bugs you have fixed this week or something else.. thanks in advance :smile-new:

Tomorrow I might spit out some info.

For now I'll just say I made some big vehicle changes this week and a big feature that was going to be pushed to A18, should be in A17e.

Personally, I don't think this makes anything "unintentionally" easy. If you're doing that, it's intentional, and not something the developers need to "correct." People can play as they like. You don't want that happening, don't make it happen.

What, you don't think we should put a magic box around you and make you get to the end to leave? ;)

Actually this is exactly what would happen in real life if you were to do the same thing, this is a tactic not an exploit.

That would be awesome, but even if that's not the case I have to appreciate one thing about this delay: devs are always doing more and more stuff if they find an opportunity, instead of just doing what was in the initial plan and then sitting around while other devs finish their stuff.

Hope you get what I mean :)

Actually this is exactly what would happen in real life if you were to do the same thing, this is a tactic not an exploit.

I wouldn't even do that in real life. There's not passive/active sleeper volumes in real life. You shoot that shotgun, and you'd have 10x more plus zombies coming after you from houses nearby and more, not just the 1 volume you spawned or even the whole house, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

For now I'll just say I made some big vehicle changes this week and a big feature that was going to be pushed to A18, should be in A17e.

We can do flips and roll overs in the air now? hehe

What, you don't think we should put a magic box around you and make you get to the end to leave? ;)

Yeah...no. LOL. I love having to think through my choices. Whether they be where to spend my skill points, how best to draw zombies away from my base, or how to make it through a POI without becoming Zed Chow .

You guys have done nothing but make the game better as time progresses, IMHO. Keep up the amazing work.

Lol, that is what happens when you drop onto a floor that the only way out is up stairs. Or drop them into a concrete tunnel filled with zombies with one way out O.o... close enough

I wouldn't even do that in real life. There's not passive/active sleeper volumes in real life. You shoot that shotgun, and you'd have 10x more plus zombies coming after you from houses nearby and more, not just the 1 volume you spawned or even the whole house, lol.

You are exactly right but I didn't intend to expand my thought process beyond one house, the "one house" was all I was thinking about so my statement is true in that sense but sure clown me and shame me if you wish if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Rocket cars confirmed for a17... jk I hope it's passengers!!!!

Malaphor attack!

@NukemDed

I have a strict Finders Keepers policy for spelling and grammatical errors and incorrect use of phrases or idioms, both imagined or real.

Malaphor I beseech you, do not lead these horses to water because you MUST break some eggs to make an omelet.

It’s better than a kick in the eye with a sharp stick I guess, but I think that train has sailed.

Can we get back to release dates? Or should we just burn that bridge when we cross it?

But seriously, hey Gazz, if a bear ♥♥♥♥s in the woods does it make a sound in A17?

You are exactly right but I didn't intend to expand my thought process beyond one house, the "one house" was all I was thinking about so my statement is true in that sense but sure clown me and shame me if you wish if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Ah. My thought process was just as a town in general. It's how I play the game more so than just thinking of "one house", so my first thought was more than one house in the area.

Oh my gosh, I read a review of this game earlier. The critic was mostly bashing the game, and it was one made September this year... Thing is, he only played the PS4 game, made his whole review about it, and bashed TFP for not updating it and selling it as finished on ps4... mad me so mad the guy never researched anything about it......

Not advocating for this, but that would be one way to really up the challenge of a quest. Call it "back against the wall" And make it like the first time you fight Sith the scaleless dragon.

Archived