Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I'm wondering. Is there a way to make certain skills rise when things are finished crafting without having to actually be in the screen watching it craft? For instance, cooking, is there a way for the game to know who started the crafting, then give xp once each one is done like it does while watching or when crafting in the inventory screen? Maybe even give just 40% of the normal xp gains. I don't like having to sit and watching everything just to get the skill points for cooking, blacksmith, etc. I'm also placing it in this forum because I'm wondering if it's something the devs have thought? or could give insight if possible or not with the new systems in place.

Also, what about the large stone areas that are in clay soil but doesn't give raw iron at the increased rate like the small ones do on clay soil. Are those going to change for A17 or later? It's not often to find one in clay soil, but when I do, it's usually just that and no small ones. Kinda sucks running around, seeing that, and knowing no increased raw iron.

What version are you playing? A16 does not award any xp for crafting whether you sit in the screen or not. Neither does A17. Sounds like you're on console or playing A15. Your question is moot for this forum because it isn't how the game currently works nor how it's about to work shortly. The devs did give it a lot of thought and rejected it particularly because they didn't want players to feel like they needed to spend time watching craft timers count down as a significant part of the game.

There is no clay soil in A17 differentiated from other soils. All soil other than sand gives clay now.

What version are you playing? A16 does not award any xp for crafting whether you sit in the screen or not. Neither does A17. Sounds like you're on console or playing A15. Your question is moot for this forum because it isn't how the game currently works nor how it's about to work shortly. The devs did give it a lot of thought and rejected it particularly because they didn't want players to feel like they needed to spend time watching craft timers count down as a significant part of the game.

There is no clay soil in A17 differentiated from other soils. All soil other than sand gives clay now.

It sounds to me like he may be playing Valmod. Referring to "Blacksmith" and (iirc) the mod also reinstated XP for watching things craft in the workbench, campfire etc.

This actually makes me a little sad. I liked that I had to search out different areas to find different resources. I'm all for streamlining, but this feels like it might be a bit too far. Won't judge 'til I play it, though.

At the moment, no. We were told that random world generation is the part that holds up release at the moment, so other developers will just continue with their part of development, optimization and bug fixing.

The only thing we have to hope is that the other developers don't make the mistake of adding a half-finished feature that they can't turn off at any time. If that happens that feature could become the next road block. BUT this trap is so easy to avoid if you are using a version control system, and they would be completely mad not using one. We can be relatively sure this is not happening.

It has never been one thing holding up release. A17 currently has around a hundred must fix issues, but for A17e, we are down to less than 20 of which 6 of those are mine. It is not a static list. A bug for AI pathing stalls with many players moving around was just added today.

HaHa right on!

I'll let others take this one.

How much simpler we looking to make this game? Asking for a friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Is dirt still in the game?

HAHAHA

Wait... is it?

Feature. Just like zombies spawning into existence right before your eyes is undesirable, containers magically refilling with loot is undesirable. If you stay away from an area for 30 days (default) then it makes it plausible that some other survivor came along and stashed some stuff there while they remained temporarily. Of course you can adjust that down to a minimum of 3 days if that is what you wish but that's the logic.

The game is designed as a SP or MP Co-operative experience for 8 friends and the way the loot respawn timer works is perfect for the design of the game. The only problem with it is if you are trying to play with 20+ people competitively which is your choice and perhaps in that case the timer can be modded down to just 1 day in the xmls.

But the respawn timer does have logic behind it and it works great for the intended game.

I regularly play with 10 to 30 people, and we have the loot set to 30 days. :) it's actually quite fun, and forces you to explore more.

We love playing with lots of people, it just makes the whole thing better. ^_^

How much simpler we looking to make this game? Asking for a friend.

One wonders about the motivation behind a change like this... on it's own, not a big deal...

Anyone else wondering about mining in A17?

One wonders about the motivation behind a change like this... on it's own, not a big deal...

Anyone else wondering about mining in A17?

Bingo!

And alone yes no big deal. It's the cumulative removals and changes so far that have me worried. Worried that the game is living long enough to see it go from the standard in survival simulation to resembling a knock off of the ideas which it once was blazing trails in.

Conformity is not a word i would have EVER used 2 years ago, but here we are. Simplifying and conforming.

I regularly play with 10 to 30 people, and we have the loot set to 30 days. :) it's actually quite fun, and forces you to explore more.

We love playing with lots of people, it just makes the whole thing better. ^_^

And you're not complaining about it so good on you. :)

It has never been one thing holding up release. A17 currently has around a hundred must fix issues, but for A17e, we are down to less than 20 of which 6 of those are mine. It is not a static list. A bug for AI pathing stalls with many players moving around was just added today.

Less than 20 critical bugs to fix before A17e is released, oh damn now I'm really excited.

Pardon me while I go climb the walls...

The geologist in me just died a little.

Oh, the humanity!

Even though most soils contain clay minerals to a certain degree (smectite for example), it is wholly wrong to harvest porcelain-grade clay (the one in the game) from just the topsoil.

Guess another sheep was sacrificed on the altar of streamlining.

On the topic of clay, in Arizona clay does appear to be more spread through the soil as opposed to predominately forming in distinct layers/bands as it does in many places of the world.

I assume the lack of water contributes to this.

Davega can surely explain this in detail from a geology standpoint ;)

This video gives a brief look at the topic for anyone overly interested

Less than 20 critical bugs to fix before A17e is released, oh damn now I'm really excited.

Pardon me while I go climb the walls...

I wouldn't get too excited, if you have been following the logic of bug fixes faatal and others have talked about, you should know 20 bugs could climb back to 100 bugs with a simple line of coding change needed to fix a current bug. I'm saving my excitement.

I wouldn't get too excited, if you have been following the logic of bug fixes faatal and others have talked about, you should know 20 bugs could climb back to 100 bugs with a simple line of coding change needed to fix a current bug. I'm saving my excitement.

i was going to confirm this as well... :) (now where is the Raid hidden) but we are still getting closer :)

As I skimmed the page, I read the last line as "I'm saving my excrement." Strangely, that would have been fitting.

Clay minerals/particles can form in-situ due to the weathering effect of water and ice. So yes, clay particles tend to always occur in any topsoil. Sands deposited in fluvial, marine, lacustrine or alluvial settings tend to contain some clay minerals (via primary or secondary diagenesis).

However, these particles cannot be harvested from the topsoil, at least with the technology we have in the game. And certainly not in the quantities presented.

So, no, there's no geological reasoning which can justify this decision. Gaming-wise, that's a different matter of course..

Archived