Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

at the dangerous size it has reached by now perhaps we should refer to it as Threadth ;)

wat

Nonono I mean your soundcloud track specifically. Just doesn't fit in 7DTD.

In Killing Floor 2 it'd be sick though.

For 7DTD if you want a track, I suggest this..

Step 1: Find woman

Step 2: Court woman (If Step 2 fails, go back to Step 1)

Step 3: Fornicate.

Step 4: Wait one year, avoiding Zombies.

Step 5: Notice woman has ejected miniature human.

Step 6: Give said miniature human one of these.

Step 7: Turn around for 10 minutes.

Step 8: Retrieve now untuned, broken instrument.

Step 9: Find Mozart.

Step 10: Excavate Mozart, and open the Coffin. (If Mozart has already risen, return to Step 9)

Step 11: Give untuned, broken instrument to Mozart.

Step 12: Record.

And done, we have our sound track.

I can TRY like

this ...

OPINIONS

wat

Nonono I mean your soundcloud track specifically. Just doesn't fit in 7DTD.

In Killing Floor 2 it'd be sick though.

For 7DTD if you want a track, I suggest this..

Step 1: Find woman

Step 2: Court woman (If Step 2 fails, go back to Step 1)

Step 3: Fornicate.

Step 4: Wait one year, avoiding Zombies.

Step 5: Notice woman has ejected miniature human.

Step 6: Give said miniature human one of these.

Step 7: Turn around for 10 minutes.

Step 8: Retrieve now untuned, broken instrument.

Step 9: Find Mozart.

Step 10: Excavate Mozart, and open the Coffin. (If Mozart has already risen, return to Step 9)

Step 11: Give untuned, broken instrument to Mozart.

Step 12: Record.

And done, we have our sound track.

So what your saying is that we need to wait about a year (before) we can work on the new sound track!?!??

How dare you! ;)

If players reset the timer for loot when they walk too close, was this intended to discourage players from living inside buildings like shotgun messiah or crack a book and farming their loot? Couldn't they just make it so a bedroll,campfire,forge or keystone would disable loot respawning within a certain range rather than the player themselves. What other reason would there be to reset the timer? is this a bug or a feature?

If players reset the timer for loot when they walk too close, was this intended to discourage players from living inside buildings like shotgun messiah or crack a book and farming their loot? Couldn't they just make it so a bedroll,campfire,forge or keystone would disable loot respawning within a certain range rather than the player themselves. What other reason would there be to reset the timer? is this a bug or a feature?

I think they are interchangeable... :)

It means you have to travel to find loot no matter where you hole up.

If you've taken over a POI in a town then as you're walking around you'll be resetting all of the loot timers, essentially your town remains largely empty. It then means you'll have to find an abandoned town or POI where nobody has been for a while. This will give a much more sensible and immersive experience than, as you say, just camping out on top of a Shotgun Messiah and waiting for the guns to magically appear.

From my experience the loot repsawn timer is disabled inside your bedroll no spawn zone. And also it only resets when you open a container. I've seen containers I walk past everyday respawn loot normally. The best thing with loot respawn is if you leave stuff inside a container and wait for the respawn time: the container will still be "touched" and still contain what was left inside. But if you remove the content and close it, it respawns immediatly.

I think it is to force the player to get out and explore more. If the loot around your fool proof base always respawns, what is the motivation to go out of your comfort zone and find another city to loot?

Edit:

Looks like The Gronk beat me to the punch with basically the same answer.

Having the area where someone lives and travels through regularly become a loot deadzone by constantly resetting the timers might be good for a SP game but on a MP server as the player population grows and players build vehicles to travel faster you'll end up with an expanding dead zone that isn't going to be fair to new players joining the server over time. I don't think players should be forced out to the perimeter of the map to survive, I think there should be a more gradual incentive to travel outwards to seek greater rewards.

Having the area where someone lives and travels through regularly become a loot deadzone by constantly resetting the timers might be good for a SP game but on a MP server as the player population grows and players build vehicles to travel faster you'll end up with an expanding dead zone that isn't going to be fair to new players joining the server over time. I don't think players should be forced out to the perimeter of the map to survive, I think there should be a more gradual incentive to travel outwards to seek greater rewards.

this is something they've mentioned years ago! Hopefully there will be more risk and incentive to travel to different area's. I've heard so many ideas over the years, but that seems life times ago. Maybe a dream.. maybe a past life.. maybe just a thought! Lets all hope that 17 lives up to the hype.

Feature. Just like zombies spawning into existence right before your eyes is undesirable, containers magically refilling with loot is undesirable. If you stay away from an area for 30 days (default) then it makes it plausible that some other survivor came along and stashed some stuff there while they remained temporarily. Of course you can adjust that down to a minimum of 3 days if that is what you wish but that's the logic.

The game is designed as a SP or MP Co-operative experience for 8 friends and the way the loot respawn timer works is perfect for the design of the game. The only problem with it is if you are trying to play with 20+ people competitively which is your choice and perhaps in that case the timer can be modded down to just 1 day in the xmls.

But the respawn timer does have logic behind it and it works great for the intended game.

I wish I had 8 friends to play with lol. I'm 34, 4 kids, and work for a University. I think I am the only PC player in the circles I hang around in... if I want that multiplayer experience, I usually try and find a small server and feel out the people in it. I found one server with some awesome people... so awesome in fact, the server grew to 20+ and I started seeing the issues that were brought up today. I get the vision of TFP. I just hope they find a way to incorporate more strategy that works well on larger servers before its official launch of the game because I still enjoyed it... resources became very slim though.

In the meantime, I am happy playing solo so no real complaints here.

I'm wondering. Is there a way to make certain skills rise when things are finished crafting without having to actually be in the screen watching it craft? For instance, cooking, is there a way for the game to know who started the crafting, then give xp once each one is done like it does while watching or when crafting in the inventory screen? Maybe even give just 40% of the normal xp gains. I don't like having to sit and watching everything just to get the skill points for cooking, blacksmith, etc. I'm also placing it in this forum because I'm wondering if it's something the devs have thought? or could give insight if possible or not with the new systems in place.

Also, what about the large stone areas that are in clay soil but doesn't give raw iron at the increased rate like the small ones do on clay soil. Are those going to change for A17 or later? It's not often to find one in clay soil, but when I do, it's usually just that and no small ones. Kinda sucks running around, seeing that, and knowing no increased raw iron.

I'm wondering. Is there a way to make certain skills rise when things are finished crafting without having to actually be in the screen watching it craft? For instance, cooking, is there a way for the game to know who started the crafting, then give xp once each one is done like it does while watching or when crafting in the inventory screen? Maybe even give just 40% of the normal xp gains. I don't like having to sit and watching everything just to get the skill points for cooking, blacksmith, etc. I'm also placing it in this forum because I'm wondering if it's something the devs have thought? or could give insight if possible or not with the new systems in place.

Also, what about the large stone areas that are in clay soil but doesn't give raw iron at the increased rate like the small ones do on clay soil. Are those going to change for A17 or later? It's not often to find one in clay soil, but when I do, it's usually just that and no small ones. Kinda sucks running around, seeing that, and knowing no increased raw iron.

I know there are arguments for/against rl in games but I just take this part as what would happen if I was really cooking something. If I was making bacon and eggs on my stove I wouldn't go and leave them and come back 15 minutes later to see if they were done. Same as with repairing or crafting something. Just one of the things we live with. I know it is a chore when we are making a bunch and it will take 30 minutes or more. This is something that will have to be balanced out.

clip...

I never noticed anything other than your skill level and tool that changed the resources you get from the rocks. the really big ones don't give anything except stone from what I recall. Anyone know about this?

I know there are arguments for/against rl in games but I just take this part as what would happen if I was really cooking something. If I was making bacon and eggs on my stove I wouldn't go and leave them and come back 15 minutes later to see if they were done. Same as with repairing or crafting something. Just one of the things we live with. I know it is a chore when we are making a bunch and it will take 30 minutes or more. This is something that will have to be balanced out.

right, which is the reason I was saying give only like 40% of the normal xp if you did it this way, or even less. It was something I was even debating with myself. But if food gave hunger more realistic, I could see that, but to boil say 5 eggs, takes almost an hour ingame (give or take), takes me 10mins irl. But where as the 5 boiled eggs only give 20% hunger total in game (give or take), 5 boiled eggs could almost fill me up with say some bacon on the side irl.

I know with smaller amounts, not so bad, but when I've got a lot to do, hate spending a full day watching these things when I need to be getting materials for other stuff. That's the only thing. So give like 25% xp (yes, lower than what I've been saying) and it kind of works. I mean you get the food regardless of watching it anyways. Just hate spending so many freaking hours watching food just for skill points to make better stuff. Although, maybe with how the new lvling and perk system is now, it won't matter as much since it's not "skill usage" based. More than likely won't be an issue, can still learn everything by lvling up other ways now.

I wish I had 8 friends to play with lol. I'm 34, 4 kids, and work for a University. I think I am the only PC player in the circles I hang around in... if I want that multiplayer experience, I usually try and find a small server and feel out the people in it. I found one server with some awesome people... so awesome in fact, the server grew to 20+ and I started seeing the issues that were brought up today. I get the vision of TFP. I just hope they find a way to incorporate more strategy that works well on larger servers before its official launch of the game because I still enjoyed it... resources became very slim though.

In the meantime, I am happy playing solo so no real complaints here.

I feel ya, even of you have froends with the game it is so hard to get a schedule that works for everyone. I generally end up playing alone anyways.

I never noticed anything other than your skill level and tool that changed the resources you get from the rocks. the really big ones don't give anything except stone from what I recall. Anyone know about this?

I do know small stone groups, give inc raw iron when on clay soil, large ones don't. Now skill lvl and tool does also inc this, but the clay soil basically triples raw iron output. Maybe it's the mod I'm playing? But I swear I noticed it in normal. I could be so wrong now that I thought of that. Haha. Played out vanilla, then went to mods.

I do know small stone groups, give inc raw iron when on clay soil, large ones don't. Now skill lvl and tool does also inc this, but the clay soil basically triples raw iron output. Maybe it's the mod I'm playing? But I swear I noticed it in normal. I could be so wrong now that I thought of that. Haha. Played out vanilla, then went to mods.

The smaller, round boulders give extra iron, coal and nitrate irrespective of the ground they’re on. The larger rock formations are like mining stone underground and give a small amount of iron randomly.

Archived