Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Truth be told I actually don't watch TV so I don't actually understand the genre.. I guess I was tipping towards Big Bang Theory.. probably more like... live action comedy? Still wrong? Dammit.. :f

Nope. Not wrong. Your statement was that it was 7D2D, mixed with reality TV, and it was funny. Doesn't mean you think Reality TV is funny...just that the combo is funny...and it is. Some people read too much into statements, instead of just letting them stand on their own merits.

Nope. Not wrong. Your statement was that it was 7D2D, mixed with reality TV, and it was funny. Doesn't mean you think Reality TV is funny...just that the combo is funny...and it is. Some people read too much into statements, instead of just letting them stand on their own merits.

Oh....

Well then.. umm..

I AM INSULTED!!

Hmph!

what do you guys think about different variations of weapons i know there are some weapons already in the game

but it would be nice to see more variations of pistols and maybe different hunting rifles

if you playing the game for a while you have seen all the weapons and its a little bit boring to find the same kind of pistol or rifle everytime

i not want to say that the weapons what already in the game are boring but more variations would be more realistic and looting would be more fun if you could find different weapons

i know its not easy to balancing hundreds of weapons and it would need much more time to finish everything so i was thinking about a random weapon generator for the game

what do you guys think about different variations of weapons i know there are some weapons already in the game

but it would be nice to see more variations of pistols and maybe different hunting rifles

if you playing the game for a while you have seen all the weapons and its a little bit boring to find the same kind of pistol or rifle everytime

i not want to say that the weapons what already in the game are boring but more variations would be more realistic and looting would be more fun if you could find different weapons

i know its not easy to balancing hundreds of weapons and it would need much more time to finish everything so i was thinking about a random weapon generator for the game

I believe that's already on the list for the future, just not for this update. Other things took priority. Though I believe there are mods out there that does that. I swear I've seen one, but can't find it atm.

I'm thinking I bust into a poi, clear the sealed room, make camp, go chop some wood not to far away, come back and find 2 sleepers from the volume that covers other rooms in the sealed room I just cleared.

...that's a net effect same issue as before. Teleporting zombies.

The fix would be one volume per room; you mentioned in a prior post most pois have around 5 volumes, I'm simply asking if this is true for small pois too.

In my head, each volume should have a larger trigger volume, so that the trigger spawns them inside the confines of the smaller, single room spawn volume...

...otherwise, sure the new changes may help, but there are going to be real life instances of teleporting zombies, and BECAUSE the count doesn't change, other rooms could be cleared by purposely as you say, "playing boringly".

- - - Updated - - -

...which, people will do.

Because people.

My 2 dukes worth here....I clear the entire structure before leaving if I intend to setup my base in the POI. This ensures that I don't have the surprise zombie inside when I return. This means top to bottom and around the outside, because we have all met the sleeping Z outside some of the POIs. By clearing first, and then placing my bedroll, I have yet to encounter a Z spawned back in my newly claimed base. This doesn't work for the massive POIs, because the radius of the bedroll effect is limited, but it works well for most standard POIs like houses and gas stations. My current gameplay involves building my own structure with underground infrastructure through day 14 in order to get concrete going. Based on the changes coming in A17E, I expect to return to elevated structures with limited underground due to the return of digging Zs. At least until I know how aggressively they will dig, and how effectively. I am also, depending on how the terrain generates, only going to go underground if I am at the bottom of a deep bowl created by tall mountains all around so that the Zs are just digging paths through the mountains and will take forever to get to me. Time will tell once A17E drops.

I'm thinking I bust into a poi, clear the sealed room, make camp, go chop some wood not to far away, come back and find 2 sleepers from the volume that covers other rooms in the sealed room I just cleared.

The fix would be one volume per room; you mentioned in a prior post most pois have around 5 volumes, I'm simply asking if this is true for small pois too.

In my head, each volume should have a larger trigger volume, so that the trigger spawns them inside the confines of the smaller, single room spawn volume...

...otherwise, sure the new changes may help, but there are going to be real life instances of teleporting zombies, and BECAUSE the count doesn't change, other rooms could be cleared by purposely as you say, "playing boringly".

- - - Updated - - -

Because people.

But that's up to those people. Why do you care how they play, boringly or not?

Also, why are you setting up camp without clearing the entire building first? Totally up to you of course but seems odd and dangerous.

"Real life instances of teleporting zombies"......? Ummm, OK.

I think you're over-analysing it a bit. Just wait until you get to play it before you start nit-picking.

I'm sure it will be fine. It's not even that bad now. Maybe, just maybe you'll be able to overlook this slight annoyance and instead enjoy all of the other great content TFPs have worked hard to implement.

But that's up to those people. Why do you care how they play, boringly or not?

Also, why are you setting up camp without clearing the entire building first? Totally up to you of course but seems odd and dangerous.

"Real life instances of teleporting zombies"......? Ummm, OK.

I think you're over-analysing it a bit. Just wait until you get to play it before you start nit-picking.

I'm sure it will be fine. It's not even that bad now. Maybe, just maybe you'll be able to overlook this slight annoyance and instead enjoy all of the other great content TFPs have worked hard to implement.

Faatal was the one who called it boring; I don't care how people play. I just see it happening, a lot, and it's the same complaint that a16 got. <shrug>

- - - Updated - - -

Because people.

POIs vary a lot in size and number of volumes. There are often just one or a few volumes per floor of smaller buildings and many probably span rooms. That is up to the level designers. Grouped volumes is something we have discussed, but that would not happen for a while if we do it. I have plenty of more pressing issues to worry about.

POIs vary a lot in size and number of volumes. There are often just one or a few volumes per floor of smaller buildings and many probably span rooms. That is up to the level designers. Grouped volumes is something we have discussed, but that would not happen for a while if we do it. I have plenty of more pressing issues to worry about.

Hey faatal, can you give us some news please? maybe the bugs you have fixed this week or something else.. thanks in advance :smile-new:

Hey, Devs!

Apologies if this is a repeat question (I'm sure it is, to a degree),

Can any of you weigh in on what the future of NPCs/Bandits/other AI aside from Zeds actually is? I know the bandit models and such are in the game, and have been used by modders, but do TFP have specific goals for implementing those items in future iterations? I love the idea of rival bandit factions, or even rival trader factions (or BOTH), allowing for player characters to build rep with one faction while losing rep with another. Even among bandit factions (i.e., say you build rep with Bandit Camp A, that will decrease your rep with Bandit Camp B. Maybe if you build enough rep with Bandit Camp A, their entities in game won't attack you unless provoked, but Bandit Camp B will attack on sight (and provide good loot).

With Trader Factions, maybe building rep gets you better loot or better prices on loot from that faction. Could even be something where high enough rep allows you to rent space within the trader compound overnight (useful---if a little cheaty---for horde nights) or something like that.

I'm sure some things like this have already been brought up, but just wanted to weigh in. I think those options would make both the SP and MP experiences much more immersive (especially the SP).

Ah, okay. Any plans or thoughts on having active mode start a little larger out? Mainly just because I think it would cause some decisions to be made about vehicles too. Take a bike, get close up, or if you take a jeep for the space and don't want to wake up the neighborhood, you park a little away and run in. Just curious.

Also, if I'm in one house, then how are zombies reacting to my activity next door if they are passive? And I ask because I've seen zombies tear out the room to get on top of the house, jump off, then start beating on the house I'm in, and normally, it'll say "sensed" or "hunted" the whole time, so it's not some wandering horde or something since it came from the attic of a house. And I know the volumes are not overlapped, so I couldn't have made them active, right?

No, because waking them up outside the house ruins the experience. The designers did not want them all waking up and trashing everything trying to leave the building.

Passive was added for A17, it does not exist in A16.

No, because waking them up outside the house ruins the experience. The designers did not want them all waking up and trashing everything trying to leave the building.

Ah, okay. I can understand that. Just seems vehicles will be a bit powerful in some senses for the sound system since it's almost like they are completely quiet. I assume those outside will hear it from far off, though. Is there something planned or the like to make vehicles not feel as safe? That's just something I've noticed, it's like once you get a vehicle, you're safe from everything in a sense at least in 16.4. It seems like you're even more safe in A17 once you get a vehicle, especially with the new passive/active mode of volumes. If the final plan is to keep it as is, that's cool, just curious if more will be done about it at some point.

EMERGENCY UPDATE ON SEWERS:

Sewers may or may not be in A17, however for realism the following underground threats should be included anyway:

Fat - While most sewers are overloaded with poo, there is also fat, lots of it. Huge fat-burgs floating down there. I recommend they become zombies! Yes, Zombie fat-burgs, oozing closer to you while your back is turned.

Poo - <deleted> I'm sorry, I made myself a little sick typing up the story, it was a bit funny but too... much. :)

at the dangerous size it has reached by now perhaps we should refer to it as Threadth ;)

I love how Roland keeps deleting or moving posts in what looks like an attempt to keep the page count under 3000. I'm pretty sure if he hadn't we'd be on at least page 5000 by now :-)

If you play it straight then it really isn't very noticeable. The system is much improved over A16. The only way it would be commonly noticeable is if you are intentionally gaming it to be so. I have entered several POI's and had to backtrack outside because I was overwhelmed in the close quarters. When I re-entered I did not see new sleepers in old places in most cases. It could technically still happen rarely but most of the time it hasn't come up. I haven't heard a single tester complain about it and they complain plenty when something is whacky.

One of the improvements is that the sleepers wake up much more easily now. If you haven't perked into stealth you won't be slipping past them without them waking up. So you really are dealing with zombies volume by volume and not leaving some that might end up being in different positions when you return. POIs are a lot tougher and scarier because you get surrounded and overwhelmed when you do something that wakes everyone up and if you leave the premises and they follow you out and you kill them they are dead. They don't get replaced by new sleepers again.

By the way A17 b175 is the most entertainment I have ever had with the game. All mod attachments add a damage modifier to the weapon so in my last play I found a brown dye attachment in a roadside duffel bag. I immediately turned my wood club into a Brown Wood Club +2 (The dye attachment added +2 entity damage and +1 power attack damage). It was just a cool feeling knowing my dark brown club was a bit better than normal.

Later in a POI I fell three stories into a sub-basement full of zombies that immediately woke up. I escaped with my life but my heart was pounding and getting out did NOT feel like a linear trip through the light tunnel. It felt like a frantic race through a maze with zombies following and me trying to chop through barricaded doors to get through and out before they could catch me.

This.

People are over-worrying about the sleepers.

Is the system perfect? No.

Is the system complete? No. Still WIP

Is the system much improved over A16? A thousand times yes!!!!

I know you guys have been doing a ton for A17, but I have to say that this is a great improvement.

...One of the improvements is that the sleepers wake up much more easily now. If you haven't perked into stealth you won't be slipping past them without them waking up. So you really are dealing with zombies volume by volume and not leaving some that might end up being in different positions when you return. POIs are a lot tougher and scarier because you get surrounded and overwhelmed when you do something that wakes everyone up and if you leave the premises and they follow you out and you kill them they are dead. They don't get replaced by new sleepers again....

So, does that mean you can go into a POI, fire off a few shotgun rounds, then run out to the street and wait for the building to empty out?

Just want to make sure this doesn't make it unintentionally easy. :)

Archived