Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I suspect the comment about no headshot bonus has been misinterpretted.

I'm currently working on the assumption that heads are still the most vulnerable area to attack. As we all know we can wail on the torso for hours without achieving a kill, and de-limbing a Zed seems to do little towards finishing them off.

We may not begin with the added Headshot perks, but that does not necessarily negate any other advantage to preferentially cracking heads from Day One onwards.

I suggest the headshot bonus simply tips the balance even further in favour of headshots and decapitations.

I could be wrong.

Yes I was asking myself, why do I replay Skyrim so much? Its old AF and sure mods bring some life into it, but at its core its starting over with a new character and playing it differently and seeing if I kick ass or get my ass kicked. To try all the combinations of characters and then role playing it added up to why I felt this was a very important aspect and we needed to put something similar in. Specialization is a LOT of fun I think.

And I don't want people to get too hyped, but even testing this with only a couple of attribute perks working fully and others partially, I'm having a total blast playing 17. OMFG the AI makes it amazing in itself. Like they will get to you. They can dig now, so I was mining and a guy ripped through my mining shack door and then tore my hatch out and dropped in on me. It was so frantic fighting a zombie in a 3 meter hole as I JUST started digging in there and it was dark I still had my starter torch but it was in the shack entrance. Crazy intense. Luckily it was just one zombie or I'd have been toast.

I was thinking about this. Early game I always go underground because I can mining at night, so I have now an "adapted MO": 3 rows of spikes 4 blocks distance from my hatches.

It's so nice to have Madmole back here on a regular basis, plus the YouTube videos are really interesting. Joel has so much stuff to talk about, and it's always nice to get his comments on things.

I can also see that the positive is going up, even on YouTube of all places.

And of course, what we should all remember is that Madmole will eat his beard if A17 isn't out before the end of 2018... It's a promise, right?

Awesome work man!

We're definitely getting rid of fertilizer... I didn't know poop fights were a thing.

I'm disappointed in you MM. I am going to have to take away your "Fun" Pimp title...... :p

Kidding aside, it was a fun bit of top foolery that was a nice break from the seriousness of the game ar times. My fondest memories:

1) The anticipation that your teammate will soon open the loot container that you just opened only to find a pile of turds....lol

2) Breaking up the group tension while waiting for daylight by tossing a turd at people....lol

It didn't happen all the time, but when it did, it brought about some great laughs.

I always Start every Fallout game and Elder Scrolls game as a hand to hand/unarmed character...hey , I have done that and beat every Fallout since Wasteland like that , even Tactics! Plus nothing so satisfying as charging in and 3 punching an ancient dragon to death in Skyrim!

But being able to go back and play again...differently...and specializing in different weapons , always gives those games way more replay ability...being able to max everything out and every skill , eventually leads to boredom...That is another reason most of these newer MMO's that let you constantly respect or there are no classes...are far more boring then the older ones where you picked a class and that was it...you made multiple characters so you could play different ways .

I am all for a level cap and forcing us to plan out character builds , that would just add even more to replay ability , in my eyes...people could always choose to mod that out , if they just have to become an all powerful god...

And yes Madmole , plenty of people had Turd fights or played jokes with them! We would always get into turd wars , or fill up containers in each others houses with turds etc...eh , no loss there , but it was funny occasionally...

We're talking about no level cap, but it might take 6 months of game play to get to a high enough level to get all the perks. The idea is you can reasonably spec out your character by level 50. It needs a lot of testing yet to see how it all works out.

You'd be surprised at how many people would reach it. Make it so. =)

...think about it this way... the people who don't play that much will never reach the cap so therefore it's a built-in level cap, and you get the reward the players who do. Everybody wins.

Space snip

They did a good job of picking which tree make the most sense for everything EXCEPT farming. It is the odd man out. Sure brawn helps at certain points but it isn't even close to being as important as knowing where to plant, how deep to plant, how much water, what not to plant next to each other. My decent sized garden, that kept us overflowing in banana peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and zucchini for the entire summer, took VERY little actual physical effort after the first couple hours. Even those first two hours weren't exactly physically taxing.

Would you feel better about this if it was called "Survival" instead of fortitude? What I mean is, is it truly a difference of kind from the other items in the same category, or is the group label insufficient to describe the group?

I don't have a strong opinion here, I'm just curious on how you view it. Names can be powerful, I think anyway.

Would you feel better about this if it was called "Survival" instead of fortitude? What I mean is, is it truly a difference of kind from the other items in the same category, or is the group label insufficient to describe the group?

I don't have a strong opinion here, I'm just curious on how you view it. Names can be powerful, I think anyway.

It's not the title. The actual benefits just don't make sense in that tree. I'm not that thrilled about fertilizer going away anyway. I thought it was a nice mechanic that seemed to work well. A skill for picking plants that give me more potatoes than someone without the skill just doesn't make much sense. But, that aside, it still would fit better in a different skill tree and Fortitude perks be more along the lines of being able to eat stuff that would make normal people sick.

It's not a huge deal. I like almost everything shown about the Perk/Skill system so far. But when MM read that description I actually stopped the video and rewound it a bit to see if I heard him right because it just seemed so odd for a Fortitude perk.

Actually...I really like the idea of Strength, Agility, Perception, Intelligence, and Survivability as stats. Makes that last one a bit of a broader category that could serve as a catch-all for both "fortitude" style perks as well as "survivalist" perks.

You could even break the perk trees down in it into appropriate categories:

Farming - crop growth/yield, enhancements, etc.

Survival - maybe the scavenging/searching perks could go here?

Fortitude - disease/food poisoning resistance.

(I think hunger/thirst could fall under either of the latter two)

Or something along those lines.

Another question:

In the Intellect Video the Attribute of Intellect shows a Bonus to Crafting Tier.

It progresses in .5 increments. My understanding is that there is only 6 tiers. What do these .5s represent? Is there rounding? or are there stat levels half way between each tier?

Anyone who's ever played a computer game would assume that headshots do extra damage. It's just the way it is...

You shouldn't assume that, because they are new to 7d2d, that they've never played any other games.

Good point.

They will actually expect more damage from headshots so they will try to target the head. Since they do a lot of damage regardless of location it may surprise them if they find that out ultimately. Still their chances of survival are at least as good as they had been in A16 if everything else were the same.

The other night I was caught away from my base and had to spend the night in one of those useless deserted and beaten down houses. A horde spawned right before run time and I knew I would have to defend myself without preparations against about 20 zeds using the new AI and....

No more cool 7dtd stories, its hard enough to wait for a17e as it is.

...so the moral is just make sure you start back to base with plenty of daylight left but, man, what an amazing night of close calls THAT was!

Another question:

In the Intellect Video the Attribute of Intellect shows a Bonus to Crafting Tier.

It progresses in .5 increments. My understanding is that there is only 6 tiers. What do these .5s represent? Is there rounding? or are there stat levels half way between each tier?

Those .5 steps are useless. You will go up a tier every other step.

are there plans for changing sound? so we know if zombie/player is above or below or near,far also positional voice chat

Near or far is determined by volume. Does the not volume not decrease for you as you move away from the source?

Said it before and I'll say it again...

I really don't get this putting systems in, refining them and removing them. Looking at the fertilizer on this one.

However, in THEORY it should be possible to put it back in if people wanted to.

Its just part of the development process. I guess you'll be glad to know that there were a few things added, worked on, and then removed this past year that never saw the public light of day. TFP likes to experiment and try different things. As things coalesce they will make the decision to cut the fat. I always feel the same way you do when I watch certain deleted scenes from movies. Why not include them? Only the director can say...

Glide is probably a bit of a gentle word for the process of landing a gyrocopter without forward thrust.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/05/helicopters-wont-just-fall-like-a-rock-if-the-engine-dies-they-usually-can-be-landed-safely-this-way/

You've got to keep the top rotor pointed slightly forward to keep you heading in that direction, if there's no air flowing over the top rotor you fall like a stone. An autogyro's steering is also entirely dependent on forward momentum, not enough speed and you start spinning in the opposite direction to top rotor. All of this while heading towards the ground at just under terminal vertical velocity because if you've got too much forward momentum when you finally hit you'll end up going beyond the end of the runway and eventually pull up at a motorway service station just outside of Surrey.

Not sure how many of those mechanics will be in the final game but in real life it's a little more complicated than "glide" :-)

You had to go and get all complicated. Yes, it will glide in a generic sense, while the top rotor spins, then as it slows you will drop rapidly, so best land it quickly.

Right now there is no player damage from vehicle collisions, so going splat would not matter.

@QuantumBlue

He asked for the design reason. I gave the reason that MM, Gazz, and Roland have provided for as long as I’ve been playing. I don’t have a crystal ball and don’t know which way the devs will choose to go but that IS the design reason given by TFP.

Actually, he asked for level cap arguments. And he may have be doing that as a devil's advocate sort of thing.

And, I wanted to try and make sure that anyone who read your post didn't come away believing that level cpas were a done deal. (And like you said, I also don't have a crystal ball, and do not want to infer that NO level caps are a done deal, either.)

The other night I was caught away from my base and had to spend the night in one of those useless deserted and beaten down houses. A horde spawned right before run time and I knew I would have to defend myself without preparations against about 20 zeds using the new AI and....

...so the moral is just make sure you start back to base with plenty of daylight left but, man, what an amazing night of close calls THAT was!

If only the game was that dangerous.

Archived