Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Check out agility attribute and perks!

You might just be fooling around with the blimp, but the shadow it casts is cool, and would be a real brown trouser trigger if that shadow were to pass across my character.

Maybe the backstory could make use of missile type fear, with them occasionally streaking across the sky. Gravestown already shows ample signs of a strike. It'd be a spooky atmospheric to add.

Probably a real life minute. Everything is subject to change as its implemented and tested. Like stay down actually is like the perk now, it gives you a good chance to knock them back down during a getup animation, something we never could do before. Getting ready to test it now :)

Awesome! Good to hear.

Currently the game requires a lot of RAM. Especially when changing the texture sizes from 1/8th to full. Why does that effect RAM so heavily? I would think it would effect VRAM only. Will A17 be more RAM efficient or will it get worse with the new textures?

I really didn't care either way. I have played hundreds of games and I can adjust to the "rules". What is wrong with a good ole center mass shot anyhow, finicky millennial's... In all honesty anyone who has ever had any combat training or just basic marksmanship training knows you go for center mass on biological creatures :) Thanks Faatal.

Because it's a zombie game, not a military shooter; and zombies being able to no-sell body shots while only going down to head shots is a staple of the genre.

Faatal, MM, does armor slow you down as well?

Armor should definitely make you less agile. Each additional item should restrict your movement more. Heavy armor more so and light armor less so. Also, heavy armor should make much more noise when moving.

AND the agility tree could have a perk for reducing SOME of the movement and noise making penalty.

It would be good gameplay if I'd have to consider whether to wear every item without it being objectively just better.

Faatal, MM, does armor slow you down as well?

Armor should definitely make you less agile. Each additional item should restrict your movement more. Heavy armor more so and light armor less so. Also, heavy armor should make much more noise when moving.

AND the agility tree could have a perk for reducing SOME of the movement and noise making penalty.

It would be good gameplay if I'd have to consider whether to wear every item without it being objectively just better.

You didnt watch Joels newest Videos, right? I do recall him telling in one of them, heavier armor does slow one down in trade for that sweet extra protection.

You didnt watch Joels newest Videos, right? I do recall him telling in one of them, heavier armor does slow one down in trade for that sweet extra protection.

I looked over the parts where he talks about heavy armor and light armor and there was no mention it. But then again I could have missed it if it was randomly mentioned somewhere.

With all these new awesome attribute and skill changes it got me thinking. What if, when you buy all five levels of a perk, a sixth perk level appears that gives you both benefits and drawbacks for your character.

For example, you buy all five levels of a perk in Strength attribute that increases your melee damage. A sixth one appears, let's call it "Glass cannon".

The effect would be as follows. Everytime you kill three or more zombies in a time period of let's say 10 seconds, you get in a state of rage which increases your melee damage by 50% (stacked on previous damage increase), but also increases zombie damage dealt to your character by 50% or more. This effect would last for 5 minutes and have a cooldown of 30 minutes real life time.

It would cost more than a regular level to buy, let's say 5 points and could not be lost on death for a period of time like mentioned for some other perks.

This is something similar as in The walking dead series where they rush in a horde of zombies enraged but with a high risk.

I think some high benefits/risk levels of perk unlocks would be a great addition if a player unlocks all levels of a perk.

Question/suggestion

Can Charging Bull check your equipped armor type? If so, would it be possible to give bonuses according to the type you are wearing at that time? What I was thinking was light armor granting you a chance to crarge at a horde and get a percentage bonus of ignoring incoming hits, while heavy armor getting a chance to score a knockdown on impact.

There should be something like "Salvage operations" for axes, pickaxes and shovels and tools generally. Something that would increase the swing speed.

"Miner 69'er" could be that perk but it increases power attack damage to blocks (not entirely sure how this works). Increasing the swing speed scales more evenly independent of block durability.

EXAMPLE:

Say a block takes 4 hits to destroy it.

Now, if I increase the damage of the swing but it is not enough to destroy it with 3 hits, I'm still having to swing 4 times - exactly the same as before.

If, however, my swinging speed is increased, every perk that I take actually increases my effectiveness.

I'm not sure if I like or hate more new skill system.

I like perks that let us change our gameplay slighty: (if nothing changed in alpha 17) we can achive temporary stun immunity by drinking alcohol or we can invest perks in passive stun immunity. This is interesting option that let us get something but we are not locked from anything by not taking it.

Same goes for "ninja movement" and "from the shadows" if we enjoy stealth it's nice option but not something mandatory, and many other perks.

What I don't like are perks that are not choice at all. We are either locked out from content by not taking them (vehicle crafting in my opinion should be book locked) or they are something that simply must be picked: block damage, stamina regeneration (anybody here enjoy waiting for your stamina to regenerate?), backpack place (should be achievable by crafting larger backpack in my opinion), more head dmg (it's really counterintuitive mechanic, i dont know any game that track where we hit and don't increase dmg when head is attacked, especially when our enemy is mammal), and unfortunately many more.

This is especially bad if such a perk is locked behind tree we are not interested at all making us spend 15 points in total just to get it.

In theory i could simply change points gained in xml but it's not something i want to do. This way i could only ruin game for myself, even 2x points is something that would make me progress too fast. I would rather see skill tree that offers us meaningfull changes in our gameplay but are not mandatory to pick (just like stun immunity)

Currently the game requires a lot of RAM. Especially when changing the texture sizes from 1/8th to full. Why does that effect RAM so heavily? I would think it would effect VRAM only. Will A17 be more RAM efficient or will it get worse with the new textures?

They've reduced RAM usage by an impressive 2 GB as I recall.

Just wanted to say that the latest updates are looking really good. I hope you don't get discouraged by the Youtube comments, I think its just a case of all the negative people converging at once and drowning out the silent majority that are patiently waiting.

Do you know, by any chance, 162.000 cute babynames? Asking for a friend.

The other guy way beat me but,

Emerald

(Kohi)Noor (a named really big diamond)

Bijou

Ruby

Amber

Coral

Agata

Pearl

Oliv(e)(ine)

Jade

Jet

Mica (not to have just girl rocks)

Jasper

Flint

Malachite

i'm not sure I'll reach 162.000 but i'm sure if you branch out to other languages you'd get at least a bit that way ;)

Agility feedback

• I like Charging Bull, because it reminds me of the fearsome running punch in Marathon, my favorite game of all time.

• In Alpha 16 you can jump over 1 block, and definitely not over 2. That's all that really matters. Situations where a 1 block jump isn't enough, but a 1.3 block jump is, are rare. So a 30% increase in jump height doesn’t seem useful. The numbers should be increased to be meaningful. Or if a 2 block jump would be too overpowered, go for something else, like reduced fall damage or faster ladder climbing.

• I don't see how taking less damage while sprinting is a "stealth" perk at all. If you're running at a full sprint and something is doing damage to you, in what scenario is that stealthy? This could be separated out into a separate perk. If you want another stealthy perk, how about not making a noise when you stumble over a pile of trash, or a chance to not set off traps when you step on them?

The other guy way beat me but,

Emerald

(Kohi)Noor (a named really big diamond)

Bijou

Ruby

Amber

Coral

Agata

Pearl

Oliv(e)(ine)

Jade

Jet

Mica (not to have just girl rocks)

Jasper

Flint

Malachite

i'm not sure I'll reach 162.000 but i'm sure if you branch out to other languages you'd get at least a bit that way ;)

You just made my day! :D

...I don't see how taking less damage while sprinting is a "stealth" perk at all. If you're running at a full sprint and something is doing damage to you, in what scenario is that stealthy? This could be separated out into a separate perk. If you want another stealthy perk, how about not making a noise when you stumble over a pile of trash, or a chance to not set off traps when you step on them?

I believe TFP are thinking of Aikido. It's currently a defensive art (concerns for your opponents welfare) where the person could move quickly and somewhat quietly.

Archived