Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

1. Making the game an asia-MMO grindfest is not on the feature list and I won't even look if that is still supported in code.

2. Anything that has a trigger can count up a variable and you can define something like "landing after a jump while holding raw meat and having more than 73% stamina and a sprained ankle" as your skill gain event that eventually unlocks whatever you want either automatically or by making a perk level available for purchase.

MASSIVE EDIT

Ok I re-read what you wrote three times. Its bed time and my brain was shot. It appears what I was asking IS still possible but in a different way.

Sorry Gazz, all of this is new for me (us) and we are just trying to get to know the system as it works now as opposed to how it did work. :)

Just thought i'd repost this in case my question got missed in my wall of text:-

I do have one question though, after seeing the perk that increases your nearby allies stats I am wondering whether the quests are geared towards larger groups or if they are doable solo?

Further thought: Are there plans, for example, to have the enemies (particularly bosses) scale depending on number of players on the quest - diablo style? One thing that deterred me with Conan Exiles was that the bosses were often unkillable unless you were in a reasonably sized group.

People also overlook the hit you get when you die. It reduces the SPECIAL level by one. So your character can be reduced in damage output, stamina, run speed, carry capacity, head shot damage etc ... Because everything now is tied into these perks. Making dead extreme punishing, especially if you end up spawning outside a base or when your character is new. Naked with everything reduced, potentially even head shots.

Wait - is this death penalty (reducing your attributes temporarily, so you lose some perks for the duration) now confirmed?

Because I suggested it as being a good idea a number of pages back, and various people agreed that it would be good. But if there's been any confirmation that this is the actual death penalty then I've missed it.

Has there been a confirmation? Or is it just the usual story where things go from idle speculation to rumour to "fact" in the blink of an eye?

Wait - is this death penalty (reducing your attributes temporarily, so you lose some perks for the duration) now confirmed?

Because I suggested it as being a good idea a number of pages back, and various people agreed that it would be good. But if there's been any confirmation that this is the actual death penalty then I've missed it.

Has there been a confirmation? Or is it just the usual story where things go from idle speculation to rumour to "fact" in the blink of an eye?

MM definitely confirmed it by saying if you lose enough of your strength perk you could drop down a level. You did not have to rebuy the level but it would be greyed out until you unlocked it again via xp.

So it appears there is penalty for dying or getting wounded. It was why he removed the slots from backpacks and went with encumbrance. He said when he would drop down a level he would lose his items by losing that backpack space he purchased. So now its just a slow down of stamina in those slots so you do not lose items.

It was mentioned towards the end of the first Attribute video

So after watching the last Joels videos about perks I was a bit sad, let me explain.

Currently in A16.4 you get better, the more you do with certain items, pistols, shotguns, shovels, picks etc and you level up a perk the more you use an item. Will we still be able to mod that feature back in A17 with the new perk framework so that using an item will give experience to a perk and level it up without spending points in the perk like it's in A16 and get better at using them? I love this feature in A16.4 and personally will miss it greatly from A17, but it is what it is.

Also will it still be possible to mod in a feature from A16.4, that by reading a book/schematic you learn a perk?

Thanks!

So improving the accuracy of your pistol by USING it is now considered junk, but levelling and dropping a skill point to achieve that is NOT?

Funny you mention an asian MMO grind fest but in the very same statement throw 100 percent support into an arcade-y RPG system where the ONLY way to get better at anything is to drop a point in to a skill that you earn by doing...anything UNRELATED to the skill you are purchasing?

Maybe I'm just foolish in thinking the more I use my bow, the better I get at using it. THAT makes sense to me. I don't stab zombies in the head so i can put a point into my assault rifle skill and reload faster...

I totally agree with Subquake and Jax ...and many others who posted similar requests/questions.

@DEVS: Seeing the same questions appearing again and again, maybe you should consider this, while working on your perk-system.

Well, at least it will be modable, if I understood Gazz right.

The idea of the points is that they are representative of doing a variety of actions in the game. Most people will be killing zombies, mining, farming, crafting, exploring, harvesting, trading, questing, etc. You gain experience from doing all of those things and that is distilled into a point that can be spent however you as a player want to increase your avatar's abilities. Madmole and Gazz are working to get the balance right so that it really does feel like your points are coming from all of these activities and not just from killing zombies.

Earning points to be spent directly is not in the plan other than your beginning set of points you will get from doing the introductory quests. Removing the level cap (if they go through with it) is likely the ONLY way you will be able to earn additional points to get all the perks as all challenges and quests in the game only grant xp and loot and do not grant perk points.

What are the arguments for having a level cap?

Using modified individual options has gotten a lot easier.

A single line can now increase the damage you do to zombies with every weapon... or only with melee weapons... where previously you had to mod every individual weapon and do that all over again with every game update.

Its a good start, but modifying xml code while not terribly hard, is hard enough to stop over half of the user base from trying to change the game.

Do a quick look-see at the Factorio game. It has three pages of GUI style option changes any player can make.

1. Making the game an asia-MMO grindfest is not on the feature list and I won't even look if that is still supported in code.

2. Anything that has a trigger can count up a variable and you can define something like "landing after a jump while holding raw meat and having more than 73% stamina and a sprained ankle" as your skill gain event that eventually unlocks whatever you want either automatically or by making a perk level available for purchase.

Well, at least it will be modable...

But seeing the same questions and comments appearing again and again that many players love the skill development-system in A16.4,

maybe you should consider it, while working on your new perk-system.

It does not take balancing after release when the flaws in the system are even now visible. Frustration from lack of damage, potential heavy punishment ( even more impact on beginning characters ), AI more aggressive, Zombies able to put a lot of hits, step-over headshot is weakened ( head shot perk + Zombie do not lie down anymore + Zombie can attack when on the floor), Lack of Stun on Zombies.

Yes, the game will be harder for veterans but for new players it will be hell on earth and i see people easily quieting.

Just imagine that there exists a difficulty setting of "easy": Damage to zombies 200%.

Now tell me again why a novice player would need a headshot multiplier if ANY HIT on a zombie is like a critical hit.

So, thanks for the video! I'm impressed with how much can be done by the perks now, love the harvest one! I also like the change to loot you mentioned :)

I was writing feedback on every perk but realized my judgement will probably be off as certain mechanics change in A17. Specifically I'm worried for the injury and disease perks, as I pretty much never get those in a16. Are we going to face those more often now?

edit: turds won't be missed. :p

There is a lot of cool stuff we can do now with diseases and injuries so I'm sure they might make sense to some players.

Well, at least it will be modable...

But seeing the same questions and comments appearing again and again that many players love the skill development-system in A16.4,

maybe you should consider it, while working on your new perk-system.

(imo) I see this as one of those areas of "wait and see" how it plays out.

Since TFP already know how to make the new system play like A16.4 as Gazz hinted at, I don't even see this as a modder issue either.

If you devise a way in a mod to play similar to the skill progression of A16.4, like Gazz has hinted can be done, then your mod will just be that much more unique compared to vanilla.

If enough ppl really don't like the new heavily involved perk system, it can be revised to feel like the old system, or it 'could' just end up evolving into a system to end all systems.

I just don't see it as an issue on any level atm.

Edit: ofc I'm just looking at it on the side that, I can change it as well if I really don't like it..

If I'm understanding the new skill system correctly, you no longer need to DO anything in order to unlock skills. You don't need to even see a knife in order to become a master knife-guy, you just have to pay the points. This means the entire gameplay will now boil down to just killing a bunch of zombies since they tend to give the most XP for your time. There is no longer incentive to go out and do varied things in order to improve that one skill you need, no need to go and search for that one schematic you're missing, just kill a bunch of zombos and buy it. Is that true?

If I'm understanding the new skill system correctly, you no longer need to DO anything in order to unlock skills. You don't need to even see a knife in order to become a master knife-guy, you just have to pay the points. This means the entire gameplay will now boil down to just killing a bunch of zombies since they tend to give the most XP for your time. There is no longer incentive to go out and do varied things in order to improve that one skill you need, no need to go and search for that one schematic you're missing, just kill a bunch of zombos and buy it. Is that true?

If it makes you feel better u can sit in your base and build 300 stone axes before u level up your crafting skill

Am I really the only one that finds a harvest perk in the Fortitude tree way out of place? Wouldn't the Fortitude perk tree be a better place for something like Iron Stomach: Lvl 1: 15% resistance to food poisoning. Lvl 2: 25% resistance to food poisoning; 10% more benefit from uncooked/spoiled food. Lvl 3: 40%.........

The "Living off the Land" perk could be renamed to "Farmer Joe" or something and moved to the Int tree. That seems a better place for something like that.

We're most likely going to add some kind of head shot bonus, but you perk into it to do more.

Suggetion, don't change the damage bonus for head shot and make the perk a % of instakill with headshots (independent of damage), like head explosion or something like that.

Could be something like 2%, 4%, 6%, 8% and 10%.

Am I really the only one that finds a harvest perk in the Fortitude tree way out of place? Wouldn't the Fortitude perk tree be a better place for something like Iron Stomach: Lvl 1: 15% resistance to food poisoning. Lvl 2: 25% resistance to food poisoning; 10% more benefit from uncooked/spoiled food. Lvl 3: 40%.........

The "Living off the Land" perk could be renamed to "Farmer Joe" or something and moved to the Int tree. That seems a better place for something like that.

Totally agree and had a similar thought about iron stomach :)

No, you're not the only one. It does seem off for me as well.

it is true in most parts. but still crafting items, you need to get books or other materials. so you still need to do more than just one thing.

i like idea for new perk trees, but i also think, doing something to get better at that is important part. so, my idea is, mix it up. you can buy first perks with points as soon you get points, but to get last level perk, you axtually need to use that item, run, mine etc. so for lvl 5 miner69'r yo probably need some time spend on using mining tools. most likely you use them anyway, so not big difference. but it restrict you become master without doind it at all.

Archived