1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I think at "Parcour" Level 5 you can jump 2 blocks high

because 10% + 15% + 20% + 25% + 30% = 100%

:smile-new:

Even if that’s true, that’s four tiers of uselessness for one tier that would actually add more fun and agility to the game. The other slots should be different feats of agility such as wall sliding, falling from a greater height safely, leaping backwards, roof edge grip lock, etc. Then just make the fifth tier be a two-block jump.

I’d love to see a tier be “You can place blocks while in midair”. Goodbye nerdpoling unless you purchase the perk for it...

Having to restart after a year and a half isn’t beyond the pale...

Most of the forced restarts have been due to changes in the blocks and terrain. How many of those other games that avoid restarts are voxel games trying to perfect a living procedurally generated random world?

So is A17.5 going to take 1 1/2 years to drop too because 17.5 is when the reset will take place with minor changes to perk/attribute system.

So is A17.5 going to take 1 1/2 years to drop too because 17.5 is when the reset will take place with minor changes to perk/attribute system.

There is no way that there will be 0 resets between 17.0 and 17.5

Each iteration and several hit fixes in between will require them as well.

That is the nature of how this works. So the thought of playing a single play through from 17e to 17.5 should be gotten rid of.

There is no way that there will be 0 resets between 17.0 and 17.5

Each iteration and several hit fixes in between will require them as well.

That is the nature of how this works. So the thought of playing a single play through from 17e to 17.5 should be gotten rid of.

I didnt say 17e. There wont be any resets between 17 and 17.5 just as there wasn't any between 16.4 and 17e.

You are putting too much weight into version numbers that Madmole threw out while making the video. Perks might be finalized before the end of experimental or they might not be touched for a long while. Whether what version comes out in 3 months or 6 months or a year is called A17.5 or A18 or Beta matters less than people grokking that they are playing a game in the process of development and TFP doesn’t just give lip service to that. They really consider this time a development phase and that requires restarts. I’ve had to restart several times in the past few weeks alone.

Personally, I don’t think TFP should spend a moment’s time of development trying to keep old incompatible saves relevant. They keep old builds available for that purpose so that for those whose tolerance to restarting is too weak they can keep playing and not have to restart.

I didnt say 17e. There wont be any resets between 17 and 17.5 just as there wasn't any between 16.4 and 17e.

If a version is released that is a 17.x you are correct that most likely it will not require a restart. If a restart is required they won’t call it 17.5. They’ll call it A18. That’s why I said you shouldn’t marry any version number Madmole throws out right now. If finishing perks can be done without a restart then they will call it 17.5 and you should be good. But if it plus other changes require a restart then it will progress to the next full Alpha number irrespective of whether Joel said “A17.5” in some video.

I'd prefer descriptive words over any numbering, myself.

shoddy

poor

standard

good

excellent

or something to that effect.

Just want to say that I hope you guys do this, I hate the "color only" system and I generally dislike the "number" system, words are the easiest to understand right off the bat.

@Madmole Please look at post #35809 some of us simply can't tolerate certain sounds they literally drive us nuts.

I have asked before if you could add in some more sound controls and you told me unequivocally no but seriously I can't take that it will make me avoid playing.

I'm pretty sure "ambient sound" is a setting in the audio controls. I use it sometimes when the rain becomes deafening and I can't hear zombies trying to sneak up on me. I think crickets fall under that control too. You won't miss out on anything that is actually important by turning ambient sounds off.

If a version is released that is a 17.x you are correct that most likely it will not require a restart. If a restart is required they won’t call it 17.5. They’ll call it A18. That’s why I said you shouldn’t marry any version number Madmole throws out right now. If finishing perks can be done without a restart then they will call it 17.5 and you should be good. But if it plus other changes require a restart then it will progress to the next full Alpha number irrespective of whether Joel said “A17.5” in some video.

Thank you for clarifying Roland. I was mistaken in how I thought this all worked.

Faatal: With the current pathing system and in the worst case scenario (huge building, lots of things) can you give us an estimate on how many entities is the game capable of handling at a solid 30 frames per second ?.

I noticed in a16.4 b8 that while the framerate is usually consistent, with high specs PC it tends to drop at 25-35 frames with 32 entities on screen; much lower when the count is 64 (spikes of 10-30 frames depending on the amount of particles (vomit, fire, exploding limbs)). Is there in a17 a noticeable improvement in this area or is the pathing system as demanding as it looks?

Kind of an important question for the future of human npcs and zombies alike.

Just want to say that I hope you guys do this, I hate the "color only" system and I generally dislike the "number" system, words are the easiest to understand right off the bat.

I disagree. The issue with using descriptive words is that you have to know that "Poor" is better than "Shoddy". And what if the devs decided that their definition of "Shoddy" doesn't match yours and it's actually better than "Poor"? This is impossible to know as a new player without already being familiar with the full scale. Whereas everyone knows 2 is better than 1 (hopefully). I personally like the flavour of using descriptive words but it is in no way easier to grok than the number system.

Come on guys, whats going on? I was absolutely in love with 7days since I found it on ps4 last year that inspired me to build a fancy pc to play it there. I stopped playing my game around August 10th due to much anticipated alpha 17.. I mean whats the point of continuing building and such if its all gonna be obsolete with update. But as late August fell threw, September and here we are mid October and nothing. Is it gonna be months?? Early next year?

I wanna play but not if its around the corner! Really wish I wouldn't have gotten into that mindset but I did and too late now. From what I know, you have to completely restart fresh with a new game to take advantage of said updates.. is that true? If so, it would be nice if that was not the case.

Just an idea but you should be able to take advantage of new patch updates on previous games. Not having to completely restart. If that was the case I guarantee everyone would be patient and happy with what we got and get. Not to mention it would prevent burnouts and resentments thus bringing in more numbers via word of mouth. Gotta stay relevant.

My inner Taoist is saying you should have just gone with the flow and played instead of worrying about when it's going to be released. You woulhd have had months of enjoyment and less stress. Just accept it will come when it comes.

Come on guys, whats going on? I was absolutely in love with 7days since I found it on ps4 last year that inspired me to build a fancy pc to play it there. I stopped playing my game around August 10th due to much anticipated alpha 17.. I mean whats the point of continuing building and such if its all gonna be obsolete with update. But as late August fell threw, September and here we are mid October and nothing. Is it gonna be months?? Early next year?

I wanna play but not if its around the corner! Really wish I wouldn't have gotten into that mindset but I did and too late now. From what I know, you have to completely restart fresh with a new game to take advantage of said updates.. is that true? If so, it would be nice if that was not the case.

Just an idea but you should be able to take advantage of new patch updates on previous games. Not having to completely restart. If that was the case I guarantee everyone would be patient and happy with what we got and get. Not to mention it would prevent burnouts and resentments thus bringing in more numbers via word of mouth. Gotta stay relevant.

If the idea of restarting due to an update is off-putting to you then maybe Early Access isn't for you?

@Madmole Please look at post #35809 some of us simply can't tolerate certain sounds they literally drive us nuts.

I have asked before if you could add in some more sound controls and you told me unequivocally no but seriously I can't take that it will make me avoid playing.

I hear the crickets many times when I have the game running in the background. Sometimes I forget and think they are real and my wife came in my office the other day and thought they were real. They can be annoying. Is turning off the ambient sound not enough or are there ambients you want to hear?

I hear the crickets many times when I have the game running in the background. Sometimes I forget and think they are real and my wife came in my office the other day and thought they were real. They can be annoying. Is turning off the ambient sound not enough or are there ambients you want to hear?

Hey Faatal, can you share any cool new improvements to random gen with us? Are all the new POI's in random gen? Thanks!

Hey Faatal, can you share any cool new improvements to random gen with us? Are all the new POI's in random gen? Thanks!

Kinyajuu is the guy for those questions. Random Gen is his beautiful baby; currently he is working his gentle butt off making the game better, so I personally think any questions regarding that subject can be made when he makes an appearance and is well fed and rested enough to talk to us lol.

For me personally, It's not about the ambient noise in general. It's about the same ambient noise playing all through the Day/Night over and over again. I wonder if it would be possible for you all to add more and have them transition and play randomly throughout the Day/Night.

example:

(Pine forest night)

Crickets start chirping for a set amount of time..

Then every so often Wolves howling..

Then transition into Cicadas..

A Owl hooting for a bit..

Mix in moments of silence and so on.

I think at "Parcour" Level 5 you can jump 2 blocks high

because 10% + 15% + 20% + 25% + 30% = 100%

:smile-new:

To add to this, I don't think the character by default only jumps 1 block high. It has to be slightly above 1 block high otherwise timing the perfect jump would be harder than it is. I bet by adding 30% gets you to exactly 1 block, making a 2 block jump slightly more difficult than a 1 block at default vertical jump.

For me personally, It's not about the ambient noise in general. It's about the same ambient noise playing all through the Day/Night over and over again. I wonder if it would be possible for you all to add more and have them transition and play randomly throughout the Day/Night.

example:

(Pine forest night)

Crickets start chirping for a set amount of time..

Then every so often Wolves howling..

Then transition into Cicadas..

A Owl hooting for a bit..

Mix in moments of silence and so on.

I really like this idea. It would make it feel more immersive. I mean who hasn't experienced 6am after working or chilling all night, the sound of the birds with the sun rise and your like oh ♥♥♥♥ I need to go to sleep. But you know the general time. I think it would be cool for 7DTD to have this same feeling.

Archived