Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

i dont like that we are even more restricted with the inventory space

How? I'm not currently looking at old vs new, but at start of the game in A17 you are missing just a few spaces compared to A16. Technically you got even more because it isn't locked out. But lets say you don't use them until you unlock them. At start of game you are just a few spaces short compared to now. Besides that nothing on it has changed. When you pick something up it fills the slots starting with the first empty slot in the top left corner and works its way to the right then drops to the next row then to the right then next row and so on and so on. So nothing will go in those spots unless you want it to. So how are you more restricted?

• I like Charging Bull, because it reminds me of the fearsome running punch in Marathon, my favorite game of all time.

• In Alpha 16 you can jump over 1 block, and definitely not over 2. That's all that really matters. Situations where a 1 block jump isn't enough, but a 1.3 block jump is, are rare. So a 30% increase in jump height doesn’t seem useful. The numbers should be increased to be meaningful. Or if a 2 block jump would be too overpowered, go for something else, like reduced fall damage or faster ladder climbing.

• I don't see how taking less damage while sprinting is a "stealth" perk at all. If you're running at a full sprint and something is doing damage to you, in what scenario is that stealthy? This could be separated out into a separate perk. If you want another stealthy perk, how about not making a noise when you stumble over a pile of trash, or a chance to not set off traps when you step on them?

Yeah you have some very good points here, especially #2.

What is the point of increasing jump height between 1 and 2 blocks if there's not much you can use this on?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe these are real...

1. Fukalite

2. Cummingtonite

Mods don't ban, this is real science talk..

Lol. I'm not gonna use drilling-related nomenclature here.. I'm using those terms quite a lot during my working hours, but taken out of context one can get a... different impression.

I wonder if the new infection will course you to turn, or just outright die.

How about, it causes you to turn but you don’t know you have (does a zombie know it’s a zombie?). Then, when visiting a trader for instance, you’ll either get knocked out and wake up in a bed at the traders, with a course of antibiotics recommended, or just put down (depending on how long/severe the infection), at which point you’ll wake up back in your base, in your own bed as you would if you’d been killed in the world?

I looked over the parts where he talks about heavy armor and light armor and there was no mention it. But then again I could have missed it if it was randomly mentioned somewhere.

I do believe it was mentioned in the vid with him talking about encumberance of backpackslots

Yeah you have some very good points here, especially #2.

What is the point of increasing jump height between 1 and 2 blocks if there's not much you can use this on?.

A increase in jumpheight also means an exponential increase of jumpdistance at same speed. Like, with that skill you can Halojump further than normally and even counteract the encumbranceeffect of Debuffs, heavy armor and overfilled backpack (having items in the encumbrance slots).

Imagine you built a base with a jump as safe Entrance 2.5m distance. Now youre slow cuz reasons and didnt spend those points and cant get into your own base fast enough with Z-teddys on your heels. Now you either die on bearattack or bedrock pit

A increase in jumpheight also means an exponential increase of jumpdistance at same speed. Like, with that skill you can Halojump further than normally and even counteract the encumbranceeffect of Debuffs, heavy armor and overfilled backpack (having items in the encumbrance slots).

Imagine you built a base with a jump as safe Entrance 2.5m distance. Now youre slow cuz reasons and didnt spend those points and cant get into your own base fast enough with Z-teddys on your heels. Now you either die on bearattack or bedrock pit

Yeah an increase in jump-height would mean an increase in jump-distance.. In real-life. But is this also in-game? Since there was nothing about jump-distance in the description of the buff regarding jump-distance.

I'm hesitant to say this (because I want to try out the new perk system) but I remain skeptical.

The reason is simple: I want more interaction with the world not less. I would rather scavange/craft/build something then just spend a perk point.

The thing I really don't like about the new skill system is that it's disconnected from the world.

You could delete half the perks and make me interact with the world to get the same results.

You just assign perks as you like but I'd much rather:

*find armor and wear it to become efficient

*feed myself well to get better immunity

*find well-insulated clothing in the world instead of perking out of ever needing clothing at all

*wear less armor to be more sneaky

*advance to chemistry station to craft better medical supplies

*find/craft items that I can use on the campfire to make better foods

*find a bigger backpack to gain more unencumbered slots (and use the perk to decrease the penalty - because one row of slots that you could not free up would make the game more interesting)

*craft compost (station) and use fertilizer for better crop harvest

These are some random examples but the general feeling I get is that some of the gameplay has replaced by perk tables.

Can't wait to see the new weather system. Really violent lightning storms (with random lightning hitting trees or bushes ) would be awsome, as would be serious blizzards, blowing fog clouds n such.

I noticed a lot of pop in when descending with the joke blimp, and it didn't look like distant trees or pois were drawn very far away... is that a limitation of the new systems now? Its disappointing and a bit immersion breaking if we can't see very far using the gyro. Maybe atmosphere fog could be used to increase framerate and reduce pop in?

I'm not sure if I like or hate more new skill system.

I like perks that let us change our gameplay slighty: (if nothing changed in alpha 17) we can achive temporary stun immunity by drinking alcohol or we can invest perks in passive stun immunity. This is interesting option that let us get something but we are not locked from anything by not taking it.

Same goes for "ninja movement" and "from the shadows" if we enjoy stealth it's nice option but not something mandatory, and many other perks.

What I don't like are perks that are not choice at all. We are either locked out from content by not taking them (vehicle crafting in my opinion should be book locked) or they are something that simply must be picked: block damage, stamina regeneration (anybody here enjoy waiting for your stamina to regenerate?), backpack place (should be achievable by crafting larger backpack in my opinion), more head dmg (it's really counterintuitive mechanic, i dont know any game that track where we hit and don't increase dmg when head is attacked, especially when our enemy is mammal), and unfortunately many more.

This is especially bad if such a perk is locked behind tree we are not interested at all making us spend 15 points in total just to get it.

You are not locked out if you don't take crafting perks. All that stuff can be bought at the trader or found.

With stamina you seem to have the choice to go for either

A) more stamina

B) more stamina regen

C) less stamina use for the activities

I agree that in A16 it practically wasn't much of a choice, but that is something balancing can and should correct.

headshot damage is already corrected, base without perk at the moment is 1.5x according to Fataal. Since there are a lot of other damage-improving perks it isn't a must-have (if you plan on using shotgun instead of rifle this becomes an optional perk)

With the change that backpack space is always available and just slows you down you are much more flexible than in A16 (especially if you have a bicycle or other vehicle). You really have the choice.

Check out agility attribute and perks!

Was half expecting to be a legday perk in there :D

The other guy way beat me but,

Emerald

(Kohi)Noor (a named really big diamond)

Bijou

Ruby

Amber

Coral

Agata

Pearl

Oliv(e)(ine)

Jade

Jet

Mica (not to have just girl rocks)

Jasper

Flint

Malachite

i'm not sure I'll reach 162.000 but i'm sure if you branch out to other languages you'd get at least a bit that way ;)

Not spelled like it but it does sound like it.

Cole (coal)

I'm hesitant to say this (because I want to try out the new perk system) but I remain skeptical.

The reason is simple: I want more interaction with the world not less. I would rather scavange/craft/build something then just spend a perk point.

Good point. This is true for fertilizer, backpack and generally recipes (although you could buy/find instead of craft)

But for your other examples perks are just a parrallel method or still need interaction with the world as second requirement:

With armor you still need to find the armour, perks just reduce the penalties or offer an alternative

With clothing the perk is an alternative/boost and probably not sufficient on its own (judging by MMs words)

Food seems to provide immunities as well as the perks, again a parallel method. Make enough food and you don't need the perk

I'm just guessing, but probably the better medicine will still need a chem station as second requirement.

Check out agility attribute and perks!

Nice introduction. :)

I did want to ask. What was this noise multilayer thing that's going on with agility?

Based on the last perk. Dose it mean that they can hear you 50% farther away when you do run?

Let us know if it's coming of going then.

A17 release will be a first iteration of perks with only basic attributes with more changes coming in A17.5. Meanwhile a lot of people were talking about pre-biilding their characters etc. I don't see why they don't perfect the perk system before releasing A17. I don't want to have to build a char only to restart when A17.5 drops 5 months later with only minor changes to the perk system. Get it right the first time.

A17 release will be a first iteration of perks with only basic attributes with more changes coming in A17.5. Meanwhile a lot of people were talking about pre-biilding their characters etc. I don't see why they don't perfect the perk system before releasing A17. I don't want to have to build a char only to restart when A17.5 drops 5 months later with only minor changes to the perk system. Get it right the first time.

You paid for early access to the development process. “Getting it right the first time” is the opposite of a process in which ideas and content is developed. They aren’t trying to release the final version of the game with A17. They are trying to release the next version of the game. It’s not wrong to just wait to play until the final version is released if that is what you desire. Then it will be done right the first time YOU play it.

We're definitely getting rid of fertilizer... I didn't know poop fights were a thing.

Awww but that was a nice part of farming. you had to work at making the fertilizer, or go into the burnt forest and dig some up. :)

please dont remove that. It was soothing to build a nice garden, till it up, add in the fertilizer that you just spent a week making, and watching your plants grow a nice bounty over the next few days.

You paid for early access to the development process. “Getting it right the first time” is the opposite of a process in which ideas and content is developed. They aren’t trying to release the final version of the game with A17. They are trying to release the next version of the game. It’s not wrong to just wait to play until the final version is released if that is what you desire. Then it will be done right the first time YOU play it.

I can only partially agree with this statement, because I have experienced games in early access with talented developers that made sure, that you could resume existing game saves without loosing any progress, when they made major overhauls to characters and skill tree and everything tied to that.

I'm sure you guys from TFP team could do such a thing as well, but it all boils down to your priorities and if you want to waste time on making it possible to support a character reset feature whenever some skills have been changed in the XML file, refunding all skill points and allowing the player to respec in the new skills and resuming existing save games.

• In Alpha 16 you can jump over 1 block, and definitely not over 2. That's all that really matters. Situations where a 1 block jump isn't enough, but a 1.3 block jump is, are rare. So a 30% increase in jump height doesn’t seem useful. The numbers should be increased to be meaningful. Or if a 2 block jump would be too overpowered, go for something else, like reduced fall damage or faster ladder climbing.

I think at "Parcour" Level 5 you can jump 2 blocks high

because 10% + 15% + 20% + 25% + 30% = 100%

:smile-new:

I can only partially agree with this statement, because I have experienced games in early access with talented developers that made sure, that you could resume existing game saves without loosing any progress, when they made major overhauls to characters and skill tree and everything tied to that.

I'm sure you guys from TFP team could do such a thing as well, but it all boils down to your priorities and if you want to waste time on making it possible to support a character reset feature whenever some skills have been changed in the XML file, refunding all skill points and allowing the player to respec in the new skills and resuming existing save games.

Having to restart after a year and a half isn’t beyond the pale...

Most of the forced restarts have been due to changes in the blocks and terrain. How many of those other games that avoid restarts are voxel games trying to perfect a living procedurally generated random world?

I think at "Parcour" Level 5 you can jump 2 blocks high

because 10% + 15% + 20% + 25% + 30% = 100%

:smile-new:

Even if that’s true, that’s four tiers of uselessness for one tier that would actually add more fun and agility to the game. The other slots should be different feats of agility such as wall sliding, falling from a greater height safely, leaping backwards, roof edge grip lock, etc. Then just make the fifth tier be a two-block jump.

I’d love to see a tier be “You can place blocks while in midair”. Goodbye nerdpoling unless you purchase the perk for it...

Archived