Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

MM definitely confirmed it by saying if you lose enough of your strength perk you could drop down a level. You did not have to rebuy the level but it would be greyed out until you unlocked it again via xp.

So it appears there is penalty for dying or getting wounded. It was why he removed the slots from backpacks and went with encumbrance. He said when he would drop down a level he would lose his items by losing that backpack space he purchased. So now its just a slow down of stamina in those slots so you do not lose items.

It was mentioned towards the end of the first Attribute video

You never rebuy the perk, you just get it back when the attribute is restored via cures or it natureal heals, etc.

Come on guys, whats going on? I was absolutely in love with 7days since I found it on ps4 last year that inspired me to build a fancy pc to play it there. I stopped playing my game around August 10th due to much anticipated alpha 17.. I mean whats the point of continuing building and such if its all gonna be obsolete with update. But as late August fell threw, September and here we are mid October and nothing. Is it gonna be months?? Early next year?

I wanna play but not if its around the corner! Really wish I wouldn't have gotten into that mindset but I did and too late now. From what I know, you have to completely restart fresh with a new game to take advantage of said updates.. is that true? If so, it would be nice if that was not the case.

Just an idea but you should be able to take advantage of new patch updates on previous games. Not having to completely restart. If that was the case I guarantee everyone would be patient and happy with what we got and get. Not to mention it would prevent burnouts and resentments thus bringing in more numbers via word of mouth. Gotta stay relevant.

You had to go and get all complicated. Yes, it will glide in a generic sense, while the top rotor spins, then as it slows you will drop rapidly, so best land it quickly.

Right now there is no player damage from vehicle collisions, so going splat would not matter.

Aww no brutal exploding crashes ? You're no fun.

i was thinking again about that the dead bodies of the zombies just disappearing when killed

i dont know i readed something that the gore blocks decreased the perfomance when there was too much of them but i never had problems with my perfomance no matter how many of them were lying around

i still hope that TFP find a better solution for it

i think it would look weird and unnatural if the bodies just disappear

one solution i was thinking about was if the dead zombies with loot drop a backpack and then disappear and the dead zombies with no loot could transform into gore blocks but the gore blocks disappearing slower but fast enough so that they dont cause performance issues

i believe in TFP that they will find a good Solution

oh and sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand me xP

i was thinking again about that the dead bodies of the zombies just disappearing when killed

i dont know i readed something that the gore blocks decreased the perfomance when there was too much of them but i never had problems with my perfomance no matter how many of them were lying around

i still hope that TFP find a better solution for it

i think it would look weird and unnatural if the bodies just disappear

one solution i was thinking about was if the dead zombies with loot drop a backpack and then disappear and the dead zombies with no loot could transform into gore blocks but the gore blocks disappearing slower but fast enough so that they dont cause performance issues

i believe in TFP that they will find a good Solution

oh and sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand me xP

Talking with a modder he thinks that the decay rate can be increased, cause yeah having bodies poof in front of you or 5 minutes later is totally immersion breaking.

Talking with a modder he thinks that the decay rate can be increased, cause yeah having bodies poof in front of you or 5 minutes later is totally immersion breaking.

yup if the bodies just disappear it would break the atmosphere from the game i mean 7 days to die is a zombie survival game and not a arcade shooter like house of the dead

i know a other game where the zombies just disappear in front of you if you kill them and that was the reason i never played the game :/

Well, at least it will be modable...

But seeing the same questions and comments appearing again and again that many players love the skill development-system in A16.4,

maybe you should consider it, while working on your new perk-system.

What we see time and time again is that players tend to lack imagination. They know the systems they’ve already played, but they can’t imagine a new system they haven’t experienced working as well or better than the old system. We won’t get an unbiased before and after comparison until people can play Alpha 17.

Am I really the only one that finds a harvest perk in the Fortitude tree way out of place? Wouldn't the Fortitude perk tree be a better place for something like Iron Stomach: Lvl 1: 15% resistance to food poisoning. Lvl 2: 25% resistance to food poisoning; 10% more benefit from uncooked/spoiled food. Lvl 3: 40%.........

The "Living off the Land" perk could be renamed to "Farmer Joe" or something and moved to the Int tree. That seems a better place for something like that.

I’m not picky about how it’s categorized, but yes, I would like to see an ‘iron stomach’ perk that makes unsafe food and water safer to consume as part of the survival gameplay.

I wonder if all the changes to the perks were the original holdup from the July estimate or if it was other bugs/ issues and during the delay to fix those they started tinkering with the perk overhaul. Seems like we would have been hearing bout the new park changes in June if they were already planned. Just my two cents. Still playing my new seed noalphayet whilst I wait impatiently, lol.

If I may deduce from what the devs have said, it’s more that the lower-level code needed an overhaul to enable them to create these kinds of perks. Madmole vowed to not show things until they were definitely viable for this Alpha. I’m sure they’ve been on paper for months, but that wasn’t shown before the framework was in place to make all these perks actually implementable.

Said it before and I'll say it again...

I really don't get this putting systems in, refining them and removing them. Looking at the fertilizer on this one.

However, in THEORY it should be possible to put it back in if people wanted to.

There are two basic tracks to doing new research: theory and experiment. I’m sure they have a nice design document or spreadsheet somewhere showing how fertilizer works in theory, just like they had for the crafting grid, the minimap, etc. But you don’t know if it actually works until you do it and get it in front of players. That’s what early access/Alpha is for. I don’t want to sound glib about it. Of course you want to implement the ideas you think have the best shot at success. You want to avoid rewrites whenever you can, since they take time and resources. But sometimes your ideas have too many problems in practice to sustain them.

Right now there is no player damage from vehicle collisions, so going splat would not matter.

I hope that will change. :(

I wonder if the Living Off the Land perk could be modified slightly to make it more palatable to some people. What if you change it to planting rather than harvesting....like in 16.4. So if you buy the perk, the plants that you grow give more pieces rather than picking more pieces. That way the perk is exactly what fertilizer did. Just my 2 cents.

I wonder if the Living Off the Land perk could be modified slightly to make it more palatable to some people. What if you change it to planting rather than harvesting....like in 16.4. So if you buy the perk, the plants that you grow give more pieces rather than picking more pieces. That way the perk is exactly what fertilizer did. Just my 2 cents.

I like that idea. Then the fertilizer and tending and such is implied. It does not matter who picks it.

Edit to add:

I keep picturing walking up on the corn farm in Nav. And having the number very between who picks it. The quality of the harvest should be who planted it.

Just my 2 cents. It is fine the way it is, but I think this way has a better feel to it.

From what I know, you have to completely restart fresh with a new game to take advantage of said updates.. is that true? If so, it would be nice if that was not the case.

Just an idea but you should be able to take advantage of new patch updates on previous games. Not having to completely restart. If that was the case I guarantee everyone would be patient and happy with what we got and get. Not to mention it would prevent burnouts and resentments thus bringing in more numbers via word of mouth. Gotta stay relevant.

Changes from one Alpha to the next are so fundamentally different there's no way for them to be backwards compatible. A17 is probably the Alpha that fits this even more than any other change.

The changes to the game from one alpha to the next are too fundamental to allow a patch to bring your savegame to the new version. The game world is different. Character skill system is different. This isn't the sort of update where they add a few new items and call it good. They changed almost everything that affects the type of information that would be in your save files. And it would be a waste of the developers' time to make portability from one alpha version to the next. That's the sort of thing you expect to see when you get DLC on a game that has already gone gold.

+1 for this one.

The farmer/gardener planting the seeds should be the one having an impact on the harvest.

While anyone picking, are just picking, that's it.

Welcome to game development. In most games you just don't see it happen because you don't have early access and only get the final version, but I guarantee that systems being introduced and then replaced is not unheard of. In fact, Stellaris, the devs of which have been working on the next update for a looong time, has done this same thing in basically every major update, and that is a *strategy* game, where it becomes even more alienating (and it's still a great game, because the new systems are just overall better).

Yep. That is the dev process.

Archived