Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Yes, a state of flux. The point at which things can still change instead of when mistakes are written in stone.

For example; I'm walking down the street and I see a quest marker appear in front of a building, can I then camp out in the building to prevent you from starting the quest?

Single Player: Not an issue

PVE Co-op: Why are you playing with this person?

PVP: New objective...kill the squatter. Still fun?

Personally I plan to wait and see how things go, before I adjust to the new ways of things.

We have all be asking for more content for a long time now, more things to do, quests in my opinion will give more things for players to 'do'. I think it will be a great addition to the game, and if we have to limit building in those poi's so be it. I rather that for sure.

While I know every server is different, We will just adapt around the changes and simply say no claiming or making POI's as your base. We basically had this rule anyhow, pve server, we reset all towns every two weeks back to new, so It wont make a lot of difference to us. We are a large oz.nz based community that often has a full server day and night, (obviously not atm, its like the zombies won the apocalypse due to waiting for a17, but we know its the calm before the storm.) So we had to reset towns to keep things fresh for player turn over, by the end of the two weeks there is hardly a car in site. Our players name the reset day to "Car Day' where all the cars come back..:)

I know some love building in pre-made buildings, but you can still do that for one base as prime said, and in time I am sure you'll be able to figure out what buildings are used for the quests and what are not. My guess would be, most of the older POI's from a16 wont be quest buildings, probably all new buildings will be. Thats just a guess tho. None of this is worth getting fired up over until we know for sure all details.

I think we just hang on evry tiny little bit of information, all hanging out for that next little scrap thats handed to us, that we over analyze it, hehe

Meanwhile YAY another new emoticon to add to the storyline. Is this a clue???

You can only have a single active bedroll and the land-claim system can exploited for griefing.

There's no better solution?

Maybe...just maybe.... "I'll try to post some more info when the last few details are finalized." wait for the darn details to be revealed as they are not even finalized yet.

Cheers

I don't consider most POI's good bases for more than the first week and that's only if things start going bad.

Now the gas station is a good solid POI starter base IMO (or was in A16). I might look for one my first play-thru of A17 and toss the bedroll and claim block on the roof.

*** The most fun POI was Jack's (Ravenhurst) cheap, dark hotel with narrow hallways! That is fun as hell. Feels like I'm in a scary movie!

I can confirm, at least for me and my friends who play on our private server, this is correct.

Once we have our perimeter wall built, we dig out every floor block and replace. Either with a block of some type or with "ground" (grassy ground etc.).

We don't get Zeds spawning in our base - well, except sleepers sometimes do but really not that often but have a feeling that may be the "sleepers bug".

This is not korrekt.

Changing world spawned blocks with user placed blocks, does absolutely nothing to the zombie spawns.

Only the bedroll does that.

Hey everyone, just wanted to calm everyone down about this. The quests will not reset occupied POIs (bedroll-ed/land claimed/player inside). I'll try to post some more info when the last few details are finalized.

Ahh yes. Glad to hear Roland was simply guessing and guessing wrong. Thx Prime for the info!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it not better to get these things sorted before experimental is released to the public and code has to be rewritten?

If I hide close to a quest marker can I join your party without your knowledge and get free xp for you completing the quest? Does that put a dent in the amount of xp you earn?

No, you can't without the party knowing because as shown by Prime you can see the members of the party when they are in range to share xp.

I never take over a POI as a satellite base, personally.

I just carry wood and wood frames with me, slap down a quick 5x5 base which is enough for some chests and a campfire and use that if I -really- need to.

Otherwise, drop chests.

I play like that a lot, I call it Nomad Mode where I do not have a base but drop boxes in key locations as I explore the RGW.

I never take over a POI as a satellite base, personally.

I just carry wood and wood frames with me, slap down a quick 5x5 base which is enough for some chests and a campfire and use that if I -really- need to.

Otherwise, drop chests.

hollow out the white water towers. pop in a few windows.. great temp base. wood frame up to it ...no prob. bonus in a16 is that you are high enough the zombies dont notice you.

Hey everyone, just wanted to calm everyone down about this. The quests will not reset occupied POIs (bedroll-ed/land claimed/player inside). I'll try to post some more info when the last few details are finalized.

This is a reminder that everyone should trust them with their own game :p. They created the game you all enjoy so much, or you wouldn't be here "supervising" (sarcasm quotes here) the development. I am more deeply invested in 7D2D than anything I have been for years, and I too am keenly interested in it's success. We started on this in mid-development; it's barely out of diapers, and we've all seen it sh*t itself now and then, which is understandable at this stage.

In terms of the POI concerns, it sounds like they are deeply considering the solutions and the one they settle on will likely be the best that can be reasonably done. I suspect the solution will be something among the lines of a "protected POI" such as the traders are immune to damage. Perhaps something "instanced", which may be unlikely considering it would be a vastly different methodology than anything else in the game and would be technically complicated. It's not an easy hurdle to overcome, considering the dynamic nature of the game world where nearly everything can be broken down.

You can only have a single active bedroll and the land-claim system can exploited for griefing.

There's no better solution?

Well, being it's a satellite base and not your main base: Maybe a group of scavengers found it one night and cleaned it out? left an access point for the dead to reoccupy it? Or some of them died in the process and reanimated in it?

We know they have survivors in the game by way of Traders, so would fit.

Maybe their purpose was to clean you out of your goods or take it over but the dead happened..?

So, why wouldn't maintaining a Satellite base be just as risky in an apocalypse, as maintaining your main base?

You took a chance by setting up another base, which it would be in the games environment but you lost.

edit: (Possible solution to your issue) Trader gives you the option to purchases a writ of ownership. It has the property value like a bedroll (since bedrolls stop quest from happening in a poi) but no respawn attached to it. Place it in a prefab you're making into another base. Turns off the ability of quests being at that base.

Could be a possible mod.

Well. Thats what i said to my wife back in Christmas of last year, when we were planning our current honeymoon.. and see where we are. With nothing.

Nothing? I was on Steam last night. I have like 10 different Alphas to choose from at the moment. Guess we have different definitions of "nothing."

@Prime: Thanks.

Everything is rage inducing to this forum.

"Dont walk in the fire, you'll get burned"

*everyone here* : "Gonna go walk in that fire".

That's not exactly an apt analogy. Fire always burns you. Taking over a poi is the way I've always played early game. If that changes and I need to adapt, then fine but don't pretend that would not be taking a HUGE choice away. (Yes, I know Prime said this won't be the case. I just wanted to use the current "gate" as my example.)

- - - Updated - - -

There is no point to doing what you're doing.

You're trying to draw solutions, from a problem that you've assumed, based on the limited information from whatever/where-ever.

You cant make any solution to anything nor speak for or against any mechanic because its all incomplete.

All it does is fuel speculation about speculation.

And just like that, prime comes along and says there is no issue.

What a waste of energy. Do something productive.

This is a forum about a game where you fight/avoid zombies and you are bitching about people not being productive based on what they are saying instead of just being here at all? Lol

Dude. You. Cant. Sort. Anything.

Unless you're a tfp dev - you arent, AND have all the information about every single thing - you dont. How can you even begin to say you have a solution.

Do you have access to the experi builds now? No.

Go outside. Find 2 sticks. Rub those 2 sticks until they catch fire.

Come back. write a 1000 word essay on how campfires are broken.

Where did he claim to have a solution to anything? He is pointing out what may(or may not) be flaws in a system described by said TFP devs that do have "all the information." That's the way these forums have worked since I joined. Sometime the possible flaw never existed sometimes is did.

It's, for sure, not very productive to claim he is saying things he didn't say.

That works a lot better in an indestructible world like Fallout 3+.

Even if the entrance to a building would take you to an instance... how does that make sense if you had destroyed the entire "building" on the outside?

Much of the charm (and challenge =) of this game is that it's one continuous world and there is no way to hide "in another dimension".

You go down a shaft - so can the zombies. You go up stairs - likewise. You go where the zombies cant get to you - they start trashing the place trying to get to you.

Ha, of course. These were various approaches to a problem, didn't say there were any good :p.

I feel as if the trader-style indestructibility may be the least immersion breaking of the ones I can think of, unless there is something else obvious I am not considering. I only had *one* coffee so far today after all. Glad the "magically repairing" POI is unlikely to happen, which would be an even more extreme case of the "magically re spawning loot" concern many have.

And on the POI-reset feature:

You are inventing the problems you complain about...

*sigh*

I swear to god if you guys get deeper questing and our ability to add special quest pois changed or removed. I wish people would stop clinging on to ancient ideas like they are the holy grail of gameplay and just allow the ♥♥♥♥ing game to grow beyond Alpha 11.

Never in my life have i seen such a group of people who fret and pace over every...single...damn...piece of news. Like every single one is "the sky is falling".

I will take group questing and moddable quest locations over losing a few pois to take over ANY day of the week. And twice on Thursdays.

Maybe the only new information we ever post should be "The Sky Is Falling".

The result would largely be the same. =)

Why are you all so upset with this particular discussion? As far as "gates" go this one has been about the tamest I've ever seen on this forum. No one in the discussion stated anything like "OMG, THE GAME IS RUINED." All I've seen are people asking questions about how certain things will work with a new system that just got described. Would you all prefer no one post anything at all in the forums? Any traffic to your forums is a good thing in my opinion. If I go to a company's forum and see that it has been days/weeks since the last post or that only a couple posts a day are coming in, I assume the software I'm looking at is a) not very popular and b) the company isn't very interested in it. Granted I usually am looking at the forums for some new tool I'm looking at and not a game but still....

Even if the entrance to a building would take you to an instance... how does that make sense if you had destroyed the entire "building" on the outside?

Much of the charm (and challenge =) of this game is that it's one continuous world and there is no way to hide "in another dimension".

You go down a shaft - so can the zombies. You go up stairs - likewise. You go where the zombies cant get to you - they start trashing the place trying to get to you.

I couldn't agree with this more. I don't even like the Instanced stuff in games static world games like Fallout. In this type of game that would be one change that would REALLY turn me off the game.

*sigh*

I swear to god if you guys get deeper questing and our ability to add special quest pois changed or removed. I wish people would stop clinging on to ancient ideas like they are the holy grail of gameplay and just allow the ♥♥♥♥ing game to grow beyond Alpha 11.

Never in my life have i seen such a group of people who fret and pace over every...single...damn...piece of news. Like every single one is "the sky is falling".

I will take group questing and moddable quest locations over losing a few pois to take over ANY day of the week. And twice on Thursdays.

Agree. Ive stopped checking the forums every few hours ,to once in a week.

That is going to be one of the first things I will try; to see if I am truly not safe anywhere.

First on the list is the biggest, tallest, building in the game.

I must say, I'm really happy about the digging zombies feature.

That is what I'm looking forward to the most.

I mean, it is 7 days to die. I don't want to feel safe at the 7th day of the week (Like RL).

I bet a lot of people are going to hate not being secure down at bedrock level :laugh:

Archived