Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Did they force feed the update down your throat or could you choose to not accept it and continue playing for the next 3 months uninterrupted if u chose to?

This was prior to the opt-in experimental branch if I recall correctly. Depends on whether steam was setup to auto-update your games or not. I honestly don't remember what steam's default is. I never claimed it was forced, so I'm not sure why you are being so belligerent. Some of those mini-updates had some pretty big showstopping bugs in them, so not updating wasn't really an option. Many of those mini-updates required wipes. It did get tedious after awhile.

This was prior to the opt-in experimental branch if I recall correctly. Depends on whether steam was setup to auto-update your games or not. I honestly don't remember what steam's default is. I never claimed it was forced, so I'm not sure why you are being so belligerent. Some of those mini-updates had some pretty big showstopping bugs in them, so not updating wasn't really an option. Many of those mini-updates required wipes. It did get tedious after awhile.

Totally agree!

I remember those times before the experimental phase, I just wanted to continue playing my saved game.

That would have worked if they hadn't decided to update to the new Unity. I'm gathering from what I read that they were ready to release it to the streamers and then the new Unity was released and thought "hey, let switch to that, it shouldn't cause to many problems" Yeah, Murphy's Law, if ♥♥♥♥ can happen, It Will. It happened, lots and lot and lots of problems. That is what they are trying to fix now, all the new bugs and problems. Once those are fixed, then we get to go bug hunting. Yeah :)

Um, no. They were not ready to release. They had not done what they are doing now, fixing all the bugs and finishing all the new features.

edit: oops, posted before seeing Faatal's.

Did they force feed the update down your throat or could you choose to not accept it and continue playing for the next 3 months uninterrupted if u chose to?

If you decide to not opt-in to experimental, you can continue playing A16.4 until A17 stable releases. Even then, you can opt back in to A16.4. If you do decide to opt-in to A17e be prepared to start over with every A17e change, there are not multiple versions of experimental to choose from. Not every change requires a restart, they tell you in the update notes if it does. Having been through several past experimental builds, I'd recommend a full restart regardless.

At the worst, you can always save character information, and transfer it to the new build, although that has potential issues too, depending on what was changed.

I'm starting to patch Turkish.

Please give me the language file for Alpha 17.

I want my patch to be compatible with Alpha 17

Not pity for the labor

An account created this year, four posts, and you're asking for access to files in A17 before it's been released? I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but that's not going to happen.

There are modders who have been a part of the community since the very earliest days of this game and even they don't get access to those files before release.

If playing as a zombie becomes a thing then that would be one of the most obvious features.

Also acquiring skills like climbing, acid spitting, regen, maybe buffing nearby zombies if you become bosslike enough.

Maybe you'd have to fight and eat other zombies to get a shot at gaining their skills so you either use them (as followers) or snack them.

Wasn't it said that Duke's Elite Guards would have some mutant powers?

Each quest has a rally marker at the POI that when activated resets that POI to be ready for the quest. So, yes, all player made changes will be erased if that marker is activated.

Obviously not a feature designed for players with bad etiquette playing MP. However, I’m pretty sure all quests are for level designed POIs so just avoid building in those and you should be fine.

Wait. Arent the majority of the poi's now these level designed dungeons? So just avoid them at all?

Wait. Arent the majority of the poi's now these level designed dungeons? So just avoid them at all?

I remember last year when certain balancing measures, such as the reduction of the amount of wood you got from chopping trees, were introduced it was said by TFP (possibly the great Mole himself) that new players were expected to take over a POI to make the early game easier. This was in direct response to a question I had about being able to build a base from scratch with the new restrictions.

Now this idea has been thrown out of the window, especially in a multi-player environment, and new players are expected to avoid POI's in case all of their work is suddenly destroyed by someone else doing a quest? How will they know to avoid an action which seems quite an obvious way to start the game?

As I said earlier, the resetting of POI's is going to cause more problems than it solves.

Wouldn't it make more sense to only allow quests in buildings with a limited amount of altered blocks or only reset buildings that haven't been visited within a certain time-frame?

Does POI have marker outside?

Yes: Dont Build.

No: Build.

Seems pretty easy to avoid problem.

Molehills to mountains again.

The quest marker doesn't appear until somebody has started a quest as far as I know, still a problem.

Otherwise every third house is going to have a bloody great immersion-breaking exclamation mark outside for the entire game.

I remember last year when certain balancing measures, such as the reduction of the amount of wood you got from chopping trees, were introduced it was said by TFP (possibly the great Mole himself) that new players were expected to take over a POI to make the early game easier. This was in direct response to a question I had about being able to build a base from scratch with the new restrictions.

Now this idea has been thrown out of the window, especially in a multi-player environment, and new players are expected to avoid POI's in case all of their work is suddenly destroyed by someone else doing a quest? How will they know to avoid an action which seems quite an obvious way to start the game?

As I said earlier, the resetting of POI's is going to cause more problems than it solves.

Yes, I remember the whole suggesting that players take over POIs and upgrade them. I also dislike the idea that a POI that a player has taken over could be reset because a totally unrelated player got a quest there; it just seems like poorly thought-out design. If you can prevent zombies from spawning inside a certain radius of a bedroll, I don't think that making it so a POI cannot be a quest holder if a player has a bedroll in it would be too hard. I suppose we'll have to see what TFP end up deciding.

Yes, I remember the whole suggesting that players take over POIs and upgrade them. I also dislike the idea that a POI that a player has taken over could be reset because a totally unrelated player got a quest there; it just seems like poorly thought-out design. If you can prevent zombies from spawning inside a certain radius of a bedroll, I don't think that making it so a POI cannot be a quest holder if a player has a bedroll in it would be too hard. I suppose we'll have to see what TFP end up deciding.

Then you go to your secondary base where you have all of your forges set up to avoid adding to the heat-map of your main base to find all of your resources and forge upgrades have been wiped out?

The quest marker doesn't appear until somebody has started a quest as far as I know, still a problem.

Otherwise every third house is going to have a bloody great immersion-breaking exclamation mark outside for the entire game.

Quest marker is there to activate the quest is how I understood. not that it appears after activation.

Quest marker is there to activate the quest is how I understood. not that it appears after activation.

As The Gronk says, the trader would give you a quest, which spawns a quest marker, which you activate when you go to the POI. At least that's as much as we can understand so far with the information given.

Then you go to your secondary base where you have all of your forges set up to avoid adding to the heat-map of your main base to find all of your resources and forge upgrades have been wiped out?

Fair point, that's still an issue. I don't know if they'd be able to avoid resetting a POI at all, though. Seems like a can of worms to code quests accounting for whether a POI is intact or damaged. If they can do it, I'm all for it, but it's not simple.

EDIT: Perhaps POIs that can be quest holders could spawn with a special land claim block somewhere inside it, which would allow quests to happen in it as long as it hasn't been destroyed, although this leads back to the initial issue of griefers destroying all possible quest POIs.

It shouldn't be too difficult to determine how many blocks have been changed by comparing it to the original blueprint nor should it be hard to determine the last time the chunks the POI is on were last spawned.

If I were doing it then resetting any POI at will would be pretty damn low on my list of solutions.

Archived