Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I was just trying to avoid obvious flaws and exploits that would require a rewrite of the code and cause further delays to future releases while minimizing the amount of butthurt posts by people affected by such things.

Not much really.

Thing is...calling them obvious exploits and flaws and implying that the pimps don't think bout that sort of stuff can rub some hairs here and there i guess. The suggestions were valid imo. For me the only annoyance was that you kept asking for alternate solutions even after multiple pimps staff had nuanced it and said there would be more info when all the details are finalized. ;D

Cheers

Thing is...calling them obvious exploits and flaws and implying that the pimps don't think bout that sort of stuff can rub some hairs here and there i guess. The suggestions were valid imo. For me the only annoyance was that you kept asking for alternate solutions even after multiple pimps staff had nuanced it and said there would be more info when all the details are finalized. ;D

Cheers

I've been known to strap on the rose-tinted glasses when coding, I always try to thank anybody who points out a flaw in my reasoning. It's easy to take criticism badly but the mark of a mature person to be able to admit that you're not perfect.

Unfortunately with modern business culture being what it is nobody likes to be seen as weak, and failure is often seen as weakness instead of the learning experience it should be.

Couple questions here for anyone hopefully including devs.

Are any of the recipes changing? I would love to see:

- Coal (Carbon) included in the Steel recipe

- Glass Jars no longer consumed in recipes that take water. (Like in Valmod)

What kinds of bases does everyone make? I have heard of a few and seen them on Your Tube #Games4Kickz

- Pole Base

- Stilt Base

- Toothy

- Bedrock/ Underground

- or any others?

I tend to make mine on the ground like this:

-------------------------

I ----------------------I

I-----------------------I

I-----------------------I

-------------------------

With electric fence at the base and shotgun turrets above for when it get really rough.

- Glass Jars no longer consumed in recipes that take water.

What kinds of bases does everyone make?

Considering how plentiful water is, I'm of the opinion that if they revisit the old recipes at all they ought to take out the water ingredient. I'd rather they didn't revisit the old recipes at all, but if they go there...

For a16 and earlier my storage area, "base" if you prefer, is always underground. Mostly to prevent the occasional silent zombie sneaking up on me and the inevitable pack of precision-targeted hostile animals while I'm looking in containers etc. I might have forges, campfire, later on perhaps other stuff, or I might not. Entrance far enough away that if I do attract screamer(s) I can pop up without being noticed.

My fighting "base" is often sets of cobble corner posts put back-to-back so they're the size of a pillar 50 but each elevation consists of four "blocks" so they're far more resilient to the occasional errant zombie. 4 blocks above those is a sizable platform of wood frames so I can shoot arrows down on the heads of the mindless hordes while moving around a lot so the corpse blocks don't destroy each other. Note this will most definitely not work in a17, but for now it's the least-effort fighting area I can do and works through at least night 49 with only minor (and cheap) repairs. By then, if I haven't gotten bored and restarted, I could do something with reinforced concrete. (but I always wind up restarting...)

I've been using traders' functional stations a lot in recent SP worlds, rather than making a full set of my own, and it's made the early game a bit more interesting since I first have to find an undestroyed forge/workbench that way. I'll eventually make my own, but it gives me more reason to travel if I don't for a while.

I've been known to strap on the rose-tinted glasses when coding, I always try to thank anybody who points out a flaw in my reasoning. It's easy to take criticism badly but the mark of a mature person to be able to admit that you're not perfect.

Unfortunately with modern business culture being what it is nobody likes to be seen as weak, and failure is often seen as weakness instead of the learning experience it should be.

That's right! Everyone works 9 days a week 36 hours a day and at 500% of their maximum capacity.

:)

Couple questions here for anyone hopefully including devs.

- Glass Jars no longer consumed in recipes that take water. (Like in Valmod)

Yes, please. I dont know why our characters like to "eat the glass cup". They should not do it..

Another thing they could change, if there is time for A17 is: Screamers.. When they do scream, if we are near her, we should take some damage by the scream, or at least become dizzy.. The scream calls zombies from everywhere, its high enough to do some damage too, i guess.

snip

Very cool. Sounds like something like a pillar base, but with blocks instead.

I agree and I eventually get bored and restart. I think the game takes a turn for me when I stop running from wandering hordes and start going after them. For me the most fun is in the begining when you have nothing and are struggling to even have a cooking pot.

Once you have 1000s of every material and water/ food are in abundance I tend to restart.

Thank you for the input!

No, the Unity update really just effected art and 1-2 programmers. The tasks designers and several other programmers were and are doing were not effected by the Unity update. There is simply a lot to finish, test, tweak and fix.

From al the corrections, which I appreciate, by the way, what I have read in a few remarks in other areas was that they were close to release, maybe a week, two at most, for releasing for the streamers. Adding Unity 2018 threw a monkey wrench that messed up a lot of the work and it had to be redone. Good intent to make it more optimized, but didn't know it would create such a mess. For me, it goes that they were and are doing their best.

Comparison, you take good care of your car, regular maintenance and all, get everything checked, but when you go on vacation it breaks down. Not planned for, not expected, crap just happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Um, no. They were not ready to release. They had not done what they are doing now, fixing all the bugs and finishing all the new features.

edit: oops, posted before seeing Faatal's.

That's okay, appreciate being set straight.

Thank you for that information. Though I have been playing a long time I have never taken part in an experimental and intend to this time.

What I did on the last update, probably overkill; was wipe everything, delete the game, wiped from my files on my computer and started it totally fresh. Will probably do the same for this update when I go to play it. I will give it a month, maybe more to get most of the bugs out. They can't get them all, that is too much to expect.

I just wanted to make sure any bugs that cropped up were from the new update, not from old saves. But I tend to go overboard in things.

My only real concerns (or disappointments) at this point is if A17 is the final alpha before gold, that we might never get to see the underground perlin caves, wandering survivors with quests that were mentioned, feature rich radiation zones, underwater deco, or the bandit factions completed.

Those features really sounded like they would have added a lot of diversity to gameplay.

I know they said they would add some additions in later patches, but I just don't see them doing bigger add on features like this anymore.

The poi editor might help with the caves, adding underground caves or pois like the small waterfall/cave I did on Guppy's server.

As The Gronk says, the trader would give you a quest, which spawns a quest marker, which you activate when you go to the POI. At least that's as much as we can understand so far with the information given.

Fair point, that's still an issue. I don't know if they'd be able to avoid resetting a POI at all, though. Seems like a can of worms to code quests accounting for whether a POI is intact or damaged. If they can do it, I'm all for it, but it's not simple.

EDIT: Perhaps POIs that can be quest holders could spawn with a special land claim block somewhere inside it, which would allow quests to happen in it as long as it hasn't been destroyed, although this leads back to the initial issue of griefers destroying all possible quest POIs.

Could they mark the building in a obvious way so that you know it will be used for a quest and reset, all your work and loot will be destroyed? A sign that hangs out front, a special paint that can't be replicated or painted over with a note when you start the game that that POI with that sign or paint can't be used as a base? Don't know enough about coding/developing to know if that would be too much of a pain in the rear to add to the game.

This is what happens when people aren't given enough data to work from. This is the first we've heard that there may be some kind of limit on which POI's can be quest points.

I'm still not sure how secondary bases are going to be handled since you can only have a single bedroll active at any one time.

This is why community communication is important, insufficient data leads to flawed logic and misunderstandings.

Which is why I had asked about a possible Q & A, but Joel prefers to do videos, which is understandable. Why not have Prime do it, we give questions, he picks out what is important and send in answers, he doesn't have to do a video, just responses to chosen questions pinned on the first page, like they do the videos that have been made.

There is no point to doing what you're doing.

You're trying to draw solutions, from a problem that you've assumed, based on the limited information from whatever/where-ever.

You cant make any solution to anything nor speak for or against any mechanic because its all incomplete.

All it does is fuel speculation about speculation.

And just like that, prime comes along and says there is no issue.

What a waste of energy. Do something productive.

Disagree, there are issues, problems that would help keep people calm instead of getting stressed over what they see as important. To you it may not, to others it will be. I wanted to know the answer to that question. To the one of how long do we have to wait for the loot bag to show up after a zombie is killed? Are all the houses going to have dungeons or just some?

It also allows for conversation, to discuss these issued, in a polite manner, of what has been confirmed and the good an bad of it.

Take a person who has serious health issue, this game has given them a way to escape from those issues for a while. Now they may lose their favorite POI to becoming a quest and have all the work they have been planning destroyed. You and I might go think of building a new base, they may go that it too much stress, they prefer that one stability in their life. Apples and oranges, there are no such things as orpples.

Before I always used to avoid underground because I knew in a way it was cheating (and also boring for horde night) but now I am quite interested what designs to make underground to counter the zombies digging underground. I just hope they are powerful enough to dig. Because I had a base back in a15 on a high cliff and I remember them digging straight under the cliff because they couldn't get up the stiff cliff but it took them ages just to make a small cave there. I hope the digging speed is adjusted for zombies so that on horde night i don't have to wait 40 mins for them to reach my base digging slowly.

Why do people go with the underground base is built to hide from zombies? Why not a place that you can have a nice home and not worry about it being destroyed and build a fighting base elsewhere? I'm building bases right now that I am planning for as a fighting base. Then I plan to build one for a home that will be safe underground, have it set up like a real home, kitchen, family room with rec room, dinning room, nice large bedroom build a garden area that will be able to have sunlight so plants will grow. I want that safe from destruction, work area is away from fighting base linked to a tunnel and above ground to fight zombie from. I won't be hiding on horde night.

Archived