Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

As The Gronk says, the trader would give you a quest, which spawns a quest marker, which you activate when you go to the POI. At least that's as much as we can understand so far with the information given.

so, still a non issue then..

Can issue be avoided by player choice/decision?

Yes.

Priority: 0.

Nope. You're forcing it to be a problem. Dont build in a POI.. adapt.

I rarely do but I don't expect everyone else to play the same way that I do.

Unless there's some kind of warning how is a new player to know that setting up in a POI is a bad idea? Having all of your work wiped out during your first game is going to be pretty rage-inducing to a new player. Just look at the vitriol spewed by the console players over the md5 bug.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey everyone, just wanted to calm everyone down about this. The quests will not reset occupied POIs (bedroll-ed/land claimed/player inside). I'll try to post some more info when the last few details are finalized.

Good to hear. Some news on the safety of secondary bases would also be appreciated.

So once again people are freaking out over something they don't even understand? Classic.

This is what happens when people aren't given enough data to work from. This is the first we've heard that there may be some kind of limit on which POI's can be quest points.

I'm still not sure how secondary bases are going to be handled since you can only have a single bedroll active at any one time.

This is why community communication is important, insufficient data leads to flawed logic and misunderstandings.

Hey everyone, just wanted to calm everyone down about this. The quests will not reset occupied POIs (bedroll-ed/land claimed/player inside). I'll try to post some more info when the last few details are finalized.

how dare you try to soothe the outrage that people have with facts and information!

This is what happens when people aren't given enough data to work from. This is the first we've heard that there may be some kind of limit on which POI's can be quest points.

I'm still not sure how secondary bases are going to be handled since you can only have a single bedroll active at any one time.

This is why community communication is important, insufficient data leads to flawed logic and misunderstandings.

or people could just wait until its out then lose their minds eh.

or people could just wait until its out then lose their minds eh.

Where's the fun in that?

It's the same as having an open experimental phase. More minds thinking about a mechanic can often come up with issues that may have been overlooked by a small group of developers, especially if they've got their rose-tinted glasses on.

I've been on both sides of that scenario several times, this is why I try to look at the problems before I look at the benefits.

Where's the fun in that?

It's the same as having an open experimental phase. More minds thinking about a mechanic can often come up with issues that may have been overlooked by a small group of developers, especially if they've got their rose-tinted glasses on.

I've been on both sides of that scenario several times, this is why I try to look at the problems before I look at the benefits.

There is no point to doing what you're doing.

You're trying to draw solutions, from a problem that you've assumed, based on the limited information from whatever/where-ever.

You cant make any solution to anything nor speak for or against any mechanic because its all incomplete.

All it does is fuel speculation about speculation.

And just like that, prime comes along and says there is no issue.

What a waste of energy. Do something productive.

Yes, a state of flux. The point at which things can still change instead of when mistakes are written in stone.

For example; I'm walking down the street and I see a quest marker appear in front of a building, can I then camp out in the building to prevent you from starting the quest?

Is it not better to get these things sorted before experimental is released to the public and code has to be rewritten?

If I hide close to a quest marker can I join your party without your knowledge and get free xp for you completing the quest? Does that put a dent in the amount of xp you earn?

Dude. You. Cant. Sort. Anything.

Unless you're a tfp dev - you arent, AND have all the information about every single thing - you dont. How can you even begin to say you have a solution.

Do you have access to the experi builds now? No.

Go outside. Find 2 sticks. Rub those 2 sticks until they catch fire.

Come back. write a 1000 word essay on how campfires are broken.

I've been developing software for years now. Most mechanic issues should be sorted long before you start typing.

If you're interested I'm currently debugging a layered pathfinding algorithm capable of finding a route across a large planet. Musing on issues TFP may encounter is a mental exercise, nothing more... a distraction.

Again, nobody's forcing you to listen.

Hey devs, have y'all tried kicking the computer? That's what I do when I got a problem. When you hear something rattle, you can stop kicking it. ;)

I find that waving a large magnet across the hard drive usually stops your code from producing errors... or anything else :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you can have more than one land-claim block, so that would cover secondary bases as well.

Isn't that open to exploitation? Enough land-claim blocks and you can stop anyone from doing a quest.

Isn't that open to exploitation? Enough land-claim blocks and you can stop anyone from doing a quest.

Only time will tell! Maybe there's a limit to land-claim blocks! Or maybe the land claim blocks are gone, or the entire world is built on top of land claim blocks! O_O

Archived