Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 2/4/2024 at 12:24 PM, Adam the Waster said:

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1754190334437818857?t=_wQpvq4MH7o-9WMAwRNfNg&s=19

New News papers! And trash! Will update fan diary soon or tomorrow 

And damn looks like Florida is already overrun 

Looks good and the story in the paper is interesting.  However, the newspaper has a typo... :(  Someone should be proofing things before the art is finalized as this isn't the first error.

Middle column of The Navesgane Tribune (image 3):  "Indeed, with recent reports starting that the CDC has fallen...."

Shouldn't have the "r" in there.

And more of a grammar issue in the last column in the same paper: "Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country, and in our own state Arizona similar measures have been taken."

One way to write that would be:

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country and, in our own state of Arizona, similar measures have been taken."

Note the comma moved after "and" and another placed after "Arizona" as well as the word "of" added.  It would be even better to make this two sentences:

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country.  Similar measures have been taken in our own state of Arizona."

Of course, the question becomes... what are "similar measures" to Martial Law?  If it's Martial Law, then it's not a "similar measure."  It's the same thing.  So...

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country, including our own state of Arizona."

Another grammar issue in the third column... "The United States government assures the public that all alive innocent people were evacuated safely..."

Not sure how anyone is "guilty" of being infected but even if you were to want to use innocent, this should then say, "all innocent living people."  "Alive" shouldn't be used in this way.  A better wording would probably have been to say, "all uninfected people."

And what's up with the last lines of some paragraphs being indented oddly?  Is that intentional for some reason, or yet another mistake?

Lastly, "This was not their intention." ....?  What wasn't their intention?  The previous sentence is about the government assuring people that everyone not infected was evacuated with the paper noting that it can't be confirmed if that happened.  So was it not their intention to evacuate everyone?  Or to assure everyone?  Or that it can't be confirmed?  The rest of the paragraph before that is about launching the nuke.  Was that not their intention?  Nothing in this paragraph fits with the final line that it wasn't their intention.  That line makes no sense in the context of that paragraph.

I suppose you can say that these are errors you might see in an actual newspaper and so it's intended to be more "realistic" by having them, but I doubt the mistakes were intentional (except perhaps the indents, though I can't see why they'd do that intentionally).

Grammar and typos are not exactly a big deal in a game where you really aren't reading things like that and might not even see it clearly enough in the game to read it there, but I think it's still important to proof the art to avoid mistakes.  The buttons on the vending machine were another mistake that didn't get seen until it was finalized and shown to us and now they won't correct it (probably).

----

Then we get to the fourth image (the second picture of the Navesgane Enquirer).  Is the virus "septdiurnal virus (sdv)" or "epidiurnal virus (edv)"?  The papers don't match.  Two artists making two papers and don't have the correct information to make them match?  The virus name really should be correct.  It probably should be septdiurnal, or 7 Day, virus.  Epidiurnal doesn't really make any sense.

It's also strange that we have President Lewis Wagner and the Minister of Health, Brian Wagner.  I suppose that is intentional... or is it yet another mistake caused by two different people doing the art for the two different newspapers?

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

It's also strange that we have President Lewis Wagner and the Minister of Health, Brian Wagner.  I suppose that is intentional... or is it yet another mistake caused by two different people doing the art for the two different newspapers?

You know the government then was corrupt right...nepotism.

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

Looks good and the story in the paper is interesting.  However, the newspaper has a typo... :(  Someone should be proofing things before the art is finalized as this isn't the first error.

Middle column of The Navesgane Tribune (image 3):  "Indeed, with recent reports starting that the CDC has fallen...."

Shouldn't have the "r" in there.

And more of a grammar issue in the last column in the same paper: "Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country, and in our own state Arizona similar measures have been taken."

One way to write that would be:

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country and, in our own state of Arizona, similar measures have been taken."

Note the comma moved after "and" and another placed after "Arizona" as well as the word "of" added.  It would be even better to make this two sentences:

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country.  Similar measures have been taken in our own state of Arizona."

Of course, the question becomes... what are "similar measures" to Martial Law?  If it's Martial Law, then it's not a "similar measure."  It's the same thing.  So...

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country, including our own state of Arizona."

Another grammar issue in the third column... "The United States government assures the public that all alive innocent people were evacuated safely..."

Not sure how anyone is "guilty" of being infected but even if you were to want to use innocent, this should then say, "all living innocent people."  "Alive" shouldn't be used in this way.  A better wording would probably have been to say, "all uninfected people."

And what's up with the last lines of some paragraphs being indented oddly?  Is that intentional for some reason, or yet another mistake?

Lastly, "This was not their intention." ....?  What wasn't their intention?  The previous sentence is about the government assuring people that everyone not infected was evacuated with the paper noting that it can't be confirmed if that happened.  So was it not their intention to evacuate everyone?  Or to assure everyone?  Or that it can't be confirmed?  The rest of the paragraph before that is about launching the nuke.  Was that not their intention?  Nothing in this paragraph fits with the final line that it wasn't their intention.  That line makes no sense in the context of that paragraph.

I suppose you can say that these are errors you might see in an actual newspaper and so it's intended to be more "realistic" by having them, but I doubt the mistakes were intentional (except perhaps the indents, though I can't see why they'd do that intentionally).

Grammar and typos are not exactly a big deal in a game where you really aren't reading things like that and might not even see it clearly enough in the game to read it there, but I think it's still important to proof the art to avoid mistakes.  The buttons on the vending machine were another mistake that didn't get seen until it was finalized and shown to us and now they won't correct it (probably).

----

Then we get to the fourth image (the second picture of the Navesgane Enquirer).  Is the virus "septdiurnal virus (sdv)" or "epidiurnal virus (edv)"?  The papers don't match.  Two artists making two papers and don't have the correct information to make them match?  The virus name really should be correct.  It probably should be septdiurnal, or 7 Day, virus.  Epidiurnal doesn't really make any sense.

IMO, the typos make it more real. Have you read a newspaper or online article these days? Editing is for chumps. It’s all about volume these days. Gotta earn that sweet ad revenue somehow. 

23 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1754190334437818857?t=_wQpvq4MH7o-9WMAwRNfNg&s=19

New News papers! And trash! Will update fan diary soon or tomorrow 

And damn looks like Florida is already overrun 

This trash looks like trash! (but it's in good way)

BUT : HOW THE HELL 7DTD WORLD WORKS LIKE 

it's 2033 in game but it's more like our world  2010 year. 

Just... it's would have sense to see drons everywhere, AI cars , AI turrets ( not this scrap ones but COD like) , NGSW guns, much diffrent clothes style etc.  While we have 2008-2012 ! HOOOW 

Madmole PLS Buddy - expain it.

future looks like past, schools and daycare but not  zombie kids, AK instead M16, lever action instead m14.  Paper Magasines still exist in 2033. Just... HOW! 😂

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I'm going to be "That Guy".

Monday, 5th December 2033*

Not a Wednesday

Maybe in their lore, Leap Year was abolished shortly before 2033. Coincidentally, it was the loss of leap year that created a butterfly effect which would cause the downfall of humanity.

Wonder what would happen if we did the same for DST...

10 hours ago, beerfly said:

The Duke reading the latest Navezgane Enquirer

Beerfly found another empty bottle of beer, desperate for another one. 30 empty bottles for a one full of beer, what ? Thanks god they removed the jars.

Matt is selling the newspaper that The Duke is reading, surrounded by skeletons that he found around some places that he refuses to disclose. Yet. All about money. 

DaVega is still missing.

Snowdog found another bigger bone. A miracle! 

Roland and faatal are still figuring out what Pi is. Who wants to know in apocalypse, anyway, we want A22. But Fibionacci was right, math is everything. 

A screamer entered another one`s poor soul base. Bless him. One less. 

Well known perv Snowdog is still on the losses. 

Madmole is missing

Laz has opened his new chicken restaurant 

Local forum under attack. Awaiting for the 23 installment 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Well known perv Snowdog is still on the losses. 

Madmole is missing

Laz has opened his new chicken restaurant 

Local forum under attack. Awaiting for the 23 installment 

Does "on the losses" mean naked playing video games?  

3 hours ago, XCOUNTRY said:

IMO, the typos make it more real. Have you read a newspaper or online article these days? Editing is for chumps. It’s all about volume these days. Gotta earn that sweet ad revenue somehow. 

I did mention that, but even if that was the intention, the virus name being wrong is really bad.  And considering it is most likely not intended to have all of those errors, it's just sloppy work.  It doesn't take much effort to proof something for the game before it's finished.  One error isn't that big of a deal.  A lot of errors, including something as important as the name of the virus, is entirely different.

4 hours ago, Gamida said:

You know the government then was corrupt right...nepotism.

Yeah, that's why I said I suppose it is intentional.  But I still have to wonder if it is actually intentional or not just due to the large number of errors.

3 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

Maybe in their lore, Leap Year was abolished shortly before 2033. Coincidentally, it was the loss of leap year that created a butterfly effect which would cause the downfall of humanity.

Wonder what would happen if we did the same for DST...

Considering they got the day right the month before, I don't think so.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

I did mention that, but even if that was the intention, the virus name being wrong is really bad.  And considering it is most likely not intended to have all of those errors, it's just sloppy work.  It doesn't take much effort to proof something for the game before it's finished.  One error isn't that big of a deal.  A lot of errors, including something as important as the name of the virus, is entirely different.

Yeah, that's why I said I suppose it is intentional.  But I still have to wonder if it is actually intentional or not just due to the large number of errors.

They might update it. Those gun posters at trader Hugh the bottem said "Navezgane" Nevada..... now it's Amazon 

But good eye

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Well - consider that situation is bad in 7DTD world such number of error is made special to show it was made fast and in "bad conditions" so a  lot of errors is realistic here and totaly fine. specialy for small local newsspaper

5 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Just... it's would have sense to see drons everywhere, AI cars , AI turrets ( not this scrap ones but COD like) , NGSW guns, much diffrent clothes style etc.  While we have 2008-2012 ! HOOOW 

future looks like past, schools and daycare but not  zombie kids, AK instead M16, lever action instead m14.  Paper Magasines still exist in 2033. Just... HOW! 😂

23 years of devastating pandemic would tend to slow progress down

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Well - consider that situation is bad in 7DTD world such number of error is made special to show it was made fast and in "bad conditions" so a  lot of errors is realistic here and totaly fine. specialy for small local newsspaper

Possible, but I still think this is just a lot of errors made unintentionally.  And if what you are suggesting were true, as far as a paper getting things wrong in such a situation, I still wouldn't expect the virus to be named incorrectly.  Perhaps a typo, but not a different name.  The virus name would be something everyone would be very familiar with in such a situation.  Just look at COVID.  People aren't misnaming it.  And that wasn't anything remotely similar in danger as the virus in this game.  Also, there's a difference between typos and similar mistakes due to being rushed or stressed or whatever and grammatical errors that sound like someone who isn't a native speaker is writing the article, which wouldn't be so likely for a small local newspaper.  The writers would most likely be fluent in a local paper.  The papers themselves also look well-made.  Good pictures, formatting, etc.  If it was such a bad situation that the papers were struggling to provide good quality, you'd expect other types of problems than grammar and misnaming the virus.  But it is possible.

Anyhow, if it is intentional, then that's fine.  I just don't believe it is.  And if it isn't, then that's sloppy work.  I appreciate the art team and all they do.  But they should have QA/proofing people who check stuff like this before it's finalized.

What if all the misprint is intentional. Bits and pieces of info, coming from different sources, all at the same time. This could?? prove that, in rush to keep the public informed, things were miscommunicated/ misprinted. The pic that seems to be "The Duke" may have been edited wrong. Could "The Duke" actually be @madmole???

Edited by JVOSS18 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, XCOUNTRY said:

It was obviously written by the AI overlords, but Navezgane being kind of podunk couldn't afford the cutting edge stuff.

12 hours ago, Matt115 said:

I'm fairly certain there will still be books and magazines in less than a decade. Kids these days.

Though I guess the game does look more 2013 than 2033. Otherwise I think we're following rule of cool here.

13 hours ago, Matt115 said:

idiocracy_lukewilson_garbage.jpg?itok=HE

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Gipothegip said:

Though I guess the game does look more 2013 than 2033. Otherwise I think we're following rule of cool here.

Time stopped working after The Event.

The game definitely looks awesome, in some sort of Steven King-ish style, but without a civilisation to improve it, just surviving from what it got around :)

22 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Yes, I look at the world and see a lack of renewable energies, electric vehicles, etc. -- less so than I see in real world 2024.

But the game is an alternative history, so for whatever reason the 7D2D world is 2010 in the year 2033.

19 hours ago, Dreyseth said:

23 years of devastating pandemic would tend to slow progress down

Nah it's looks like this happend in 2033. Older calendars in some places are.. ok because... in reality people keep them too (my local car mechanic

18 hours ago, Riamus said:

Possible, but I still think this is just a lot of errors made unintentionally.  And if what you are suggesting were true, as far as a paper getting things wrong in such a situation, I still wouldn't expect the virus to be named incorrectly.  Perhaps a typo, but not a different name.  The virus name would be something everyone would be very familiar with in such a situation.  Just look at COVID.  People aren't misnaming it.  And that wasn't anything remotely similar in danger as the virus in this game.  Also, there's a difference between typos and similar mistakes due to being rushed or stressed or whatever and grammatical errors that sound like someone who isn't a native speaker is writing the article, which wouldn't be so likely for a small local newspaper.  The writers would most likely be fluent in a local paper.  The papers themselves also look well-made.  Good pictures, formatting, etc.  If it was such a bad situation that the papers were struggling to provide good quality, you'd expect other types of problems than grammar and misnaming the virus.  But it is possible.

Anyhow, if it is intentional, then that's fine.  I just don't believe it is.  And if it isn't, then that's sloppy work.  I appreciate the art team and all they do.  But they should have QA/proofing people who check stuff like this before it's finalized.

Em it's less like Covid situation and more like Stalingrad. After all - zombies can attack you, you need to make defences etc. While covid is just " i sit in home".

I remember from newsspaper even notes like " remember to cut photo to removed guy on left" or  someone printed bad formate page link. So i think it's specialy bad quality of writing

9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

When I saw this on Steam I thought "Matt must see this!". :D 

awww

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Yes, I look at the world and see a lack of renewable energies, electric vehicles, etc. -- less so than I see in real world 2024.

But the game is an alternative history, so for whatever reason the 7D2D world is 2010 in the year 2033.

It's have sense as explanation... if it's explained - let's take Killzone, wolfenstein or Red Alert as example : X years ago something happens so world looks this right now.

USA army use mostly - AK47?  Kalasnikov ran away from CCCP to USA somehow etc. 

It's just basic rule - Some of them are more "directly" ( Akira) or less - sniper elite series

58 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Em it's less like Covid situation and more like Stalingrad. After all - zombies can attack you, you need to make defences etc. While covid is just " i sit in home".

My point was that even with COVID, people know the name very well.  If people know that, then it is even more likely they would not misname the virus from this game, which is worse.  Pick any serious widespread disease or epidemic and see if the people were confused about what it was called.  People may have no idea what some rare disease or virus is called, but something that affects millions all at once is going to be known.  If not by the scientific name, then by the common name.

I still stand by what I said about all the mistakes... If they are intentional to indicate stress or fear or "realism," then that is fine.  But if the errors are not intentional, as I expect, then they need to start doing better QA/proofing of things.  A mistake is one thing, but many is not good.

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

My point was that even with COVID, people know the name very well.  If people know that, then it is even more likely they would not misname the virus from this game, which is worse.  Pick any serious widespread disease or epidemic and see if the people were confused about what it was called.  People may have no idea what some rare disease or virus is called, but something that affects millions all at once is going to be known.  If not by the scientific name, then by the common name.

I still stand by what I said about all the mistakes... If they are intentional to indicate stress or fear or "realism," then that is fine.  But if the errors are not intentional, as I expect, then they need to start doing better QA/proofing of things.  A mistake is one thing, but many is not good.

My local beach closed "due to COVERT 19" per a sign that was publicly posted on the beach. Don't give people too much credit for getting things right...

Also it's been variously called "Covid" "Covid-19" "Coronavirus" (which is just the category it's in), and a bunch of Greek-letter  subvariants, like "Omicron".

I do think there's a few basic modern things missing from the world, which sometimes make it seem even OLDER than 2010.

EVs being missing can be kind of glossed over (especially in the US), but why does it seem like cellphones or tablets never existed? Also there's almost no references which imply the *internet* exists or existed either! I mean, just some @%$#ty ads or something.

None of the factories show evidence of automation with say, assembly robots (though to be fair we only JUST got conveyor belts added to the game, and there are no specifically "high-tech" factory POIs, even if we'd assume some things like that would be in, say, the Shotgun Messiah factory).

No 3d Printers either.

The lack of nearly any environmental acknowledgement of smartphones and the internet are the big ones though. The rest you can kind of not worry about, but those two are glaring. I guess there are the cell tower POIs.

It would be cool if you could find the occasional broken/dead cellphone to scrap for 1-2 electrical parts, in the same way that cooking pots can be found in the world as decorative items but also in random loot containers. It would be fine that they would all be dead or broken, because with the collapse of the world, the collapse of the internet would also be easy to understand. It wouldn't have to come with major game changes.

Though it would be interesting to try and think of what finding an intact and working cell or tablet would mean or might do?

Like, the electronic version of a Sham sandwich where for most of the game it's a common, but mostly useless find, but has one specialized late-game use.