Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 2/4/2024 at 11:44 PM, Riamus said:

It's also strange that we have President Lewis Wagner and the Minister of Health, Brian Wagner.  I suppose that is intentional... or is it yet another mistake caused by two different people doing the art for the two different newspapers?

What was the name of the mayor of Navezgane? Wasn't he Lewis Wagner too? How did he go from the mayor of Navezgane to the President of the United States in a few months?

3 hours ago, FramFramson said:

I do think there's a few basic modern things missing from the world, which sometimes make it seem even OLDER than 2010.

You ever see the movie It Follows? It shows people using a weird combination of old and new technology, which I think is very brilliant. I like to think that 7 Days is similar to that. It's like an alternate reality where they ended up being 30 or 40 years behind where we are. I mean, who knows what one thing sparked major advancements one way or another?

Edited by Arez (see edit history)

4 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Also it's been variously called "Covid" "Covid-19" "Coronavirus" (which is just the category it's in), and a bunch of Greek-letter  subvariants, like "Omicron".

You forgot "The China Virus"! :D 

10 hours ago, FramFramson said:

EVs being missing can be kind of glossed over (especially in the US), but why does it seem like cellphones or tablets never existed? Also there's almost no references which imply the *internet* exists or existed either! I mean, just some @%$#ty ads or something.

True, we are short on technology gadgets as placeable salvage.

I have a number of portable battery units that recharge off of solar panels. They have lights, making them kind of the modern equivalent of a lantern, but with outlets that recharge tools, computers, and phones, power radios, whatever. Then there's the equivalent for a house, like a Power Wall, for example.

Regarding EVs, they're easily mixed up with gasoline powered vehicles in appearance. It's the trappings that go along with EVs that I miss and some projection towards how things might be in 2033. My own EV is 11 years old. I charge it in my garage, but there's no charger block nor any good generic block and texture to use to make a home charger. There are no public charger blocks. Those things are in my city today. The solar panels in the game look dated.

Away from appearances, rigging up a small windmill to recharge batteries that power an EV is far more believable than a player refining gasoline from oil shale. For that matter, distilling methyl or ethyl alcohol to make fuel for an engine makes more sense for using a gasoline/diesel engine along with some mechanic skill to make the vehicle conversion.

17 hours ago, dhlmaster said:

My local beach closed "due to COVERT 19" per a sign that was publicly posted on the beach. Don't give people too much credit for getting things right...

That is more of a typo or autocorrect than a completely different name.

14 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Also it's been variously called "Covid" "Covid-19" "Coronavirus" (which is just the category it's in), and a bunch of Greek-letter  subvariants, like "Omicron".

Yes, but these are all valid names.

If the names used were septdiurnal and eptdiurnal, then it's a typo.  But these are different names, as is they were considering two different badges for it and ended up giving one to one artist and the other to another artist.  Or, it was handwritten and the "s" was missing out unclear and the "t" looked like an "i."

I know we can come up with reasons why this might be intentional.  But how many who are giving these reasons actually think this was intentional and not just an error from TFP? If they want to run with it and say it was intentional, that's up to them.  But I don't think it was and I think it should be fixed unless we can't see the words in the game.

3 hours ago, zztong said:

True, we are short on technology gadgets as placeable salvage.

I have a number of portable battery units that recharge off of solar panels. They have lights, making them kind of the modern equivalent of a lantern, but with outlets that recharge tools, computers, and phones, power radios, whatever. Then there's the equivalent for a house, like a Power Wall, for example.

Regarding EVs, they're easily mixed up with gasoline powered vehicles in appearance. It's the trappings that go along with EVs that I miss and some projection towards how things might be in 2033. My own EV is 11 years old. I charge it in my garage, but there's no charger block nor any good generic block and texture to use to make a home charger. There are no public charger blocks. Those things are in my city today. The solar panels in the game look dated.

Away from appearances, rigging up a small windmill to recharge batteries that power an EV is far more believable than a player refining gasoline from oil shale. For that matter, distilling methyl or ethyl alcohol to make fuel for an engine makes more sense for using a gasoline/diesel engine along with some mechanic skill to make the vehicle conversion.

Having a few vehicles that worked with the game's existing electrical system and avoid gas/shale entirely would be a neat addition.  Of course then you have the practical gameplay problem of "Why go to the desert?" and greatly diminishing the value of the chemistry station.

Oh and I had the funniest idea last night. Put cell phones and tablets and such in the game as I described above. Like desktop computers, you can scrap them for a few electrical bits, but add a trader who will pay dukes for any broken electronic media you bring him.

Call him Trader Cragmire or something, living out of an old data centre or a Mo Power, and make sure he's a real skeezy guy. You don't even have to say what he's about, you just know.

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)

21 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Having a few vehicles that worked with the game's existing electrical system and avoid gas/shale entirely would be a neat addition.  Of course then you have the practical gameplay problem of "Why go to the desert?" and greatly diminishing the value of the chemistry station.

Oh and I had the funniest idea last night. Put cell phones and tablets and such in the game as I described above. Like desktop computers, you can scrap them for a few electrical bits, but add a trader who will pay dukes for any broken electronic media you bring him.

Call him Trader Cragmire or something, living out of an old data centre or a Mo Power, and make sure he's a real skeezy guy. You don't even have to say what he's about, you just know.

Reason for lack of electrical cars is simple - car batteries are even now problematic as hell. Navezgane looks like "country" state - so they prefered stuff easy to repair and made.  You know - small city live.  Plus 7dtd looks like stuck in 2009 year. I woudn't be shocked in in 7DTD universes Emo subculture is still popular and Denzel was top singer for long long time while phones didn't had access to internet

11 hours ago, Matt115 said:

NO! Denzel is singing Pump it up in 7dtd world.  😘🙃😎

I am gonna do a mod for you, a news stand, from where this song will attract every zed the same way they were attracted from the meat we brought with us back in the days. And the news stand will be mobile, so you can move around and be a paper boy. 

Fingers crossed for you to become the best seller of Navezgane!

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Mister Forgash said:

Paper boy mod, 7 Days to Deliver!

Ha! This would need to have a special armor set: baseball cap, torn pants, etc. basically no zombie protection value. The ultimate hardcore experience. Your weapon of choice: thin green rubber bands

On 2/7/2024 at 8:29 AM, FramFramson said:

I do think there's a few basic modern things missing from the world, which sometimes make it seem even OLDER than 2010.

EVs being missing can be kind of glossed over (especially in the US), but why does it seem like cellphones or tablets never existed? Also there's almost no references which imply the *internet* exists or existed either! I mean, just some @%$#ty ads or something.

None of the factories show evidence of automation with say, assembly robots (though to be fair we only JUST got conveyor belts added to the game, and there are no specifically "high-tech" factory POIs, even if we'd assume some things like that would be in, say, the Shotgun Messiah factory).

No 3d Printers either.

The lack of nearly any environmental acknowledgement of smartphones and the internet are the big ones though. The rest you can kind of not worry about, but those two are glaring. I guess there are the cell tower POIs.

It would be cool if you could find the occasional broken/dead cellphone to scrap for 1-2 electrical parts, in the same way that cooking pots can be found in the world as decorative items but also in random loot containers. It would be fine that they would all be dead or broken, because with the collapse of the world, the collapse of the internet would also be easy to understand. It wouldn't have to come with major game changes.

Though it would be interesting to try and think of what finding an intact and working cell or tablet would mean or might do?

Like, the electronic version of a Sham sandwich where for most of the game it's a common, but mostly useless find, but has one specialized late-game use.

I'd respectfully disagree about the non-existence of cellphones as there is a billboard advertising smartphones called MyCell, the reason they don't exist in game is most likely purely because they'd be pointless, have little value in terms of material, but take up resources for the modelling that could be diverted to more useful additions to the game. There are also like you mentioned cell towers. 

The point about internet I'd also dispute because the game features models for laptops, desktop computers, server racks and references weblinks to fictional websites.

I don't think the lack of in game decor models is pertinent to the existence of something in the game, you just can't have models for everything in the game especially when they serve no purpose. 

Maybe the government has shut down the Internet, or a telecommunications base station has gone down.
Or the small personal electronics of the future may be too precise. They may not be able to be handled when disassembled and may have no value as parts.

Like the player, the survivor may have taken apart an unusable cell phone.

The electronic components in the trash are probably broken tablets. They only get the usable parts as items.

I have request to the devs : could you guys remove flip flops from it? Because... shoes for such "nature vibe" armor don't suit at all. PLS because looks realy good just this flip flops looks too... off like "i'm rich guy on vacation"

image.png.46b41a7f2a51d301f131052ed65db27c.png

On 2/5/2024 at 7:44 AM, Riamus said:

Looks good and the story in the paper is interesting.  However, the newspaper has a typo... :(  Someone should be proofing things before the art is finalized as this isn't the first error.

Middle column of The Navesgane Tribune (image 3):  "Indeed, with recent reports starting that the CDC has fallen...."

Shouldn't have the "r" in there.

And more of a grammar issue in the last column in the same paper: "Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country, and in our own state Arizona similar measures have been taken."

One way to write that would be:

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country and, in our own state of Arizona, similar measures have been taken."

Note the comma moved after "and" and another placed after "Arizona" as well as the word "of" added.  It would be even better to make this two sentences:

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country.  Similar measures have been taken in our own state of Arizona."

Of course, the question becomes... what are "similar measures" to Martial Law?  If it's Martial Law, then it's not a "similar measure."  It's the same thing.  So...

"Martial Law has been declared in many places in the country, including our own state of Arizona."

Another grammar issue in the third column... "The United States government assures the public that all alive innocent people were evacuated safely..."

Not sure how anyone is "guilty" of being infected but even if you were to want to use innocent, this should then say, "all innocent living people."  "Alive" shouldn't be used in this way.  A better wording would probably have been to say, "all uninfected people."

And what's up with the last lines of some paragraphs being indented oddly?  Is that intentional for some reason, or yet another mistake?

Lastly, "This was not their intention." ....?  What wasn't their intention?  The previous sentence is about the government assuring people that everyone not infected was evacuated with the paper noting that it can't be confirmed if that happened.  So was it not their intention to evacuate everyone?  Or to assure everyone?  Or that it can't be confirmed?  The rest of the paragraph before that is about launching the nuke.  Was that not their intention?  Nothing in this paragraph fits with the final line that it wasn't their intention.  That line makes no sense in the context of that paragraph.

I suppose you can say that these are errors you might see in an actual newspaper and so it's intended to be more "realistic" by having them, but I doubt the mistakes were intentional (except perhaps the indents, though I can't see why they'd do that intentionally).

Grammar and typos are not exactly a big deal in a game where you really aren't reading things like that and might not even see it clearly enough in the game to read it there, but I think it's still important to proof the art to avoid mistakes.  The buttons on the vending machine were another mistake that didn't get seen until it was finalized and shown to us and now they won't correct it (probably).

----

Then we get to the fourth image (the second picture of the Navesgane Enquirer).  Is the virus "septdiurnal virus (sdv)" or "epidiurnal virus (edv)"?  The papers don't match.  Two artists making two papers and don't have the correct information to make them match?  The virus name really should be correct.  It probably should be septdiurnal, or 7 Day, virus.  Epidiurnal doesn't really make any sense.

It's also strange that we have President Lewis Wagner and the Minister of Health, Brian Wagner.  I suppose that is intentional... or is it yet another mistake caused by two different people doing the art for the two different newspapers?

On your last point, Brian Wagner is an artist working on 7 Days to Die who most likely produced these assets for the game, so the naming will be an easter egg not a mistake. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that sitting presidents give family members jobs inside government as has happened with most presidencies in the past 50 or so years, just a hint at nepotism. 

5 hours ago, Matt115 said:

I have request to the devs : could you guys remove flip flops from it? Because... shoes for such "nature vibe" armor don't suit at all. 

Apocalypse were trash is everywhere... oops nail in My foot, glass, sharp metal. Hot sand in the desert 

8 hours ago, Matt115 said:

I have request to the devs : could you guys remove flip flops from it? Because... shoes for such "nature vibe" armor don't suit at all. PLS because looks realy good just this flip flops looks too... off like "i'm rich guy on vacation"

image.png.46b41a7f2a51d301f131052ed65db27c.png

You could always just not wear the shoe "armor" part of the set and you would achieve the look you are seeking.