Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

3 hours ago, faatal said:

As of now, yes, but it is a gimped copy of the normal club so basic bandits don't just wreck you. Bandits will probably get a game staged strength bonus, so tough ones will hit harder with the same club. The final version may have them using the player weapons, but with the strength mod added.

Well, I have a few questions of my own:

1.Will we receive crazy/realistic damage from bandits (at least in insane mode)?

Spoiler

I'd love that. STALKER was big on npcs killing you in (one to) a couple of hits (with firearms), making planning and armour very important in fights. My point being, they can get all the edge they want, in the end I'd find them equally awesome nevertheless.

2. Will bandits be able to open and close doors? 

3. How awesome do you find testing bandits and bringing them to life? Meaning don't you end up a bit weirded out from all the swearing after a long session?

4. How big a spawn size do you plan for bandits in an average encounter according to your own estimates?

5 Could you explain the dismemberments? Will  humam npcs have dismemberments too? 

Thanks in advance

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but could the drone get out of the way when in 'combat' mode?

At least, when I aim at something with a rifle or a crossbow and such?

Maybe it could get behind you or just on the side.

1 hour ago, Tete1805 said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but could the drone get out of the way when in 'combat' mode?

At least, when I aim at something with a rifle or a crossbow and such?

Maybe it could get behind you or just on the side.

Yeah, there was a discussion on this on Steam and I mentioned it here on the A21 dev diary.

The "drone guy" has taken note of it, and he said, "I'll see what I can do". So I guess we'll see... hopefully he can find a way to fix the "issue".

6 hours ago, beerfly said:

Wonder if there would be a bit of different loot from the bandits,, weapons, armour, ammo. A legendary ones, or with more unique stats. And/or with mods also. 

I don't like the idea, unless they make that bandit in your example stronger.

Think of it. It doesn't make much sense that a run-of-the-mill bandit has special or even legendary gear.

38 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I don't like the idea, unless they make that bandit in your example stronger.

Think of it. It doesn't make much sense that a run-of-the-mill bandit has special or even legendary gear.

Glad you mentioned that, meant it for the tougher ones, with rare chance of course. 

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah, there was a discussion on this on Steam and I mentioned it here on the A21 dev diary.

The "drone guy" has taken note of it, and he said, "I'll see what I can do". So I guess we'll see... hopefully he can find a way to fix the "issue".

I just wish the drone would start in Shut Up mode.  I hate having to tell it to Shut Up every time I deploy it.

2 hours ago, Red Eagle LXIX said:

I just wish the drone would start in Shut Up mode.  I hate having to tell it to Shut Up every time I deploy it.

Wouldnt that just shift the problem and then you'd have people on the other end argue for the drone to start in talkative-mode?

I was thinking ideally it would be great if the game just remembers the player's setting for the drone (and same with vehicles, so you don't have to unlock every time for friends to ride on it with expanded seat mod on a P2P server, but at the same time can keep it locked if say you are playing on a public server)

On 7/10/2022 at 3:44 AM, Roland said:

Speculate away and I'll poke Prime to see if after the weekend he'll come on and dish a bit or perhaps do a tell-all in his next stream. I'll bet he'll like that and then we can update the thread here and talk more about it. :)

I wonder if it's related to this bug I saw on the Public A20 KI? :)

image.png.6d2b9b13a33f4589832f4a5708140caf.png

8 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

I'm not familiar with this doc. What is it?

If you've ever tried reporting a bug in the Bug Pool, one of the things asked in the thread is to review the existing known issues of bugs, to prevent duplicate reports. A link to the A20 KI is provided there.

6 minutes ago, NekoPawtato said:

If you've ever tried reporting a bug in the Bug Pool, one of the things asked in the thread is to review the existing known issues of bugs, to prevent duplicate reports. A link to the A20 KI is provided there.

Makes sense! Thanks for filling me in, I appreciate it.

man i would love a defence quest sort of like you arrive at the poi and you have a minute to prepare and if you want to skip this there could be a toggle skip button somewhere and a bunch of zombs tailored to your gamestage come and attack if the poi sustains too much damage or you die it fails this sounds like an awesome thing that may very well be possible but of course with a bunch of coding that isnt so easy lol.

and as the tiers go up more waves and more dangerous zombies come for example as a lvl 50 character the first wave is a few ferals and some normal zombies in a horde of 20 yeah not so bad but then at wave 5 or something radiateds and  ferals and puking vultures coming in waves of 15 and a total of 60 zombies killed to pass the wave sounds challenging but really cool imo.

9 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

man i would love a defence quest sort of like you arrive at the poi and you have a minute to prepare and if you want to skip this there could be a toggle skip button somewhere and a bunch of zombs tailored to your gamestage come and attack if the poi sustains too much damage or you die it fails this sounds like an awesome thing that may very well be possible but of course with a bunch of coding that isnt so easy lol.

and as the tiers go up more waves and more dangerous zombies come for example as a lvl 50 character the first wave is a few ferals and some normal zombies in a horde of 20 yeah not so bad but then at wave 5 or something radiateds and  ferals and puking vultures coming in waves of 15 and a total of 60 zombies killed to pass the wave sounds challenging but really cool imo.

Twitch integration already has part of the code for those quests in the form of "boss packs" or "summonings". Putting a timer on the exclamation mark and polishing it up is actually doable now with little effort (sort of dismissing here the crazy bug squashing that is needed, but you get the point). I thought I'd never say this, but Prime's time wasted on Twitch integration was actually not that awful if it gets us a bunch of quests. If he had a hair for every time I mocked the feature he'd be Chewbacca.

15 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Twitch integration already has part of the code for those quests in the form of "boss packs" or "summonings". Putting a timer on the exclamation mark and polishing it up is actually doable now with little effort (sort of dismissing here the crazy bug squashing that is needed, but you get the point). I thought I'd never say this, but Prime's time wasted on Twitch integration was actually not that awful if it gets us a bunch of quests. If he had a hair for every time I mocked the feature he'd be Chewbacca.

Not twitch integration alone. A normal buried supplies quest is already a defense quest with digging intermissions.

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Not twitch integration alone. A normal buried supplies quest is already a defense quest with digging intermissions.

That's correct. There is a ton of stuff quests can do now depending on where the trigger is set. I'm actually hopeful that the very map will have a strong event system renovating the awe of emergent gameplay to something brilliant.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:01 PM, maxousara said:

I have 1 question. In alpha 21 can we have an option for activate or disable bandits. On/off exemple like zombies

Not decided.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, Blake_ said:

1.Will we receive crazy/realistic damage from bandits (at least in insane mode)?

2. Will bandits be able to open and close doors? 

3. How awesome do you find testing bandits and bringing them to life? Meaning don't you end up a bit weirded out from all the swearing after a long session?

4. How big a spawn size do you plan for bandits in an average encounter according to your own estimates?

5 Could you explain the dismemberments? Will  humam npcs have dismemberments too?

1 Maybe. Not decided on what their damage will be.

2 Yes.

3 Not that exciting yet. They do talk too much.

4 Like 5 (that is more a heavy group, could be 2 or 3).

6 Only to the extent artists add the content and I don't know if design/art is wanting to do that.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

11 hours ago, faatal said:

Not decided.

1 Maybe. Not decided on what their damage will be.

2 Yes.

3 Not that exciting yet. They do talk too much.

4 Like 5 (that is more a heavy group, could be 2 or 3).

5 Only to the extent artists add the content and I don't know if design/art is wanting to do that.

Thanks for the answer. While 2-5 doesn't sound like too big of a group I understand that they have to perform smoothly in any rig under any possible gameplay circumstance and with a top notch AI. It is a reasonable number as behaviour is more complex. Even in spite of that estimate, an option to burn down our Pcs (bandit amount option) would be extremely appreciated (within reason, lol).

I would love to have a different Playing mode.  Right now you have Bloodmoon ON/OFF,  but be nice to have a Wandering Horde Mode instead ?  So 7 days Bloodmoon or Wandering Horde options ?

I realise there's a MOD for that... but just like to have it in Vanilla as an Option.  I remember in early Alphas the frequency of wandering hordes were satisfyingly high back in the day.