Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

13 hours ago, Survager said:

@faatal can players use this setting for the desktop shortcut that launches the game?
Thus, it was possible to make several folders with different sets of modifications in the game folder, and make several shortcuts on the desktop with different launch options, which would allow the game to be launched with the desired set of modifications, without having to make a copy of the game folder.

And another question: did I understand correctly that using this command you can specify a new location for storing game saves, screenhots and logs?

I've been doing it like that for years. Nowadays I even have a powershell script(*) to launch the game that makes a backup of the saves -- the userdata folder was the location of generated worlds and save games are saved, so now it also has mods, screenshots and logs.

(*) available at https://github.com/dcsobral/7DaysToDieAutomaticBackup

1 minute ago, beerfly said:

Sooo, who needs a doctor ?

Hide contents

Is this going to replace the current hospital POI? Or will it be a 9th tier 5 poi?

59 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

Sorry if I overlooked this post, but how many alphas are planned until A21? And how many alphas are planned until the final release (if there is already a deadline for the release ... year)?

I'm not a tfp employee so don't quote me but I'm under the impression that 20.4 is there last fair sized update before 21, how ever we might see 2 or 3 more minor builds with small updates and fixes before 21.

I'd also be shocked if this game made it to Alpha 24 before gold. I think atm we 

39 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Is this going to replace the current hospital POI? Or will it be a 9th tier 5 poi?

Replacement.  The old one is way behind current standards.  We have a couple of large POIs in the planning phase so some additions will be on their way.

5 hours ago, grendelwolf said:

Sorry if I overlooked this post, but how many alphas are planned until A21? And how many alphas are planned until the final release (if there is already a deadline for the release ... year)?

A .5 is planned. Beyond that, none are planned other than if we need to fix major bugs.

We don't know how many more alphas there will be before gold. Way too many variables.

1 minute ago, faatal said:

A .5 is planned. Beyond that, none are planned other than if we need to fix major bugs.

We don't know how many more alphas there will be before gold. Way too many variables.

So... there will be no beta after alpha? just Alpha then gold?

13 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

So... there will be no beta after alpha? just Alpha then gold?

There should be a Beta, but the labels don't really matter. A beta would just be a stable Axx relabeled to B1, then bug fixes for weeks/months and then is gold.

So are we never getting new water related things then? I know 2 years ago it was toyed with @faatal I know zombies can swim which does make water a bit more interesting but I also caught wind of potential sharks - zombie sharks and just a bit more ocean based polish. (If that is not accurate I understand - I did hear it 2 years ago and just become an active forum poster after that a20.4 debacle.)  

On 4/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, faatal said:

It went fine. Skyscraper windows are block models, so they are each a draw call and it uses a sub mesh for trim and glass, so they are actually two draw calls each. They need to be changed to a standard block. We spent more of the time talking about making normal blocks that have opaque and transparent sections and decided we could support that if our mesh naming system handled marking meshes transparent, so that those would end up in the transparent chunk mesh. I have a prototype working of an arch with glass inside the arch. Still thinking on if I like this solution.

So basically, if I want better performance in a skyscraper, just break all of the window?  

Occam's 'Mallet hypothesis - The easiest solution involves the biggest hammer

Feature Request for A21:  Could we please get an option to favorite or lock items in your inventory?  This could prevent accidental scrapping/selling/or transferring when doing transfer all.  I just accidentally scrapped my nerdy glasses today which made me think of this, but it could also be useful for keeping a stack of fuel in your vehicle that doesn't get moved out by when you select all inventory or a stack of first aid kits in your drone that you don't want to take out.  

On 4/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, Laz Man said:

Replacement.  The old one is way behind current standards.  We have a couple of large POIs in the planning phase so some additions will be on their way.

I have nothing to add except you guys (the POI designers) are knocking it out of the park time after time with these redesigned and new POIs. The level of detail is just *chef's kiss*

Also, I do have something to add. You meanie, you lied to me! You told me on YouTube a while ago (I think under a games4kickz video) that the chain link fence gates would be doors. They are not 😠 (I jest, the addition of them at all is incredible and one of my favorites, even if they don't function as doors 😕 )

@faatal

So the two big Kickstarter things I haven't seen word about are VR support and Playing as a Zombie.

I'm curious if those two are still on the roadmap, and if so, how much attention would be given to the VR side.  Just a new camera and controller mappings or would we see hand movements and being able to pick up rocks.

Also, I'm curious if there are plans to go more into PvP.  I've only played heavily modded PVP games because the design just isn't set up for quick matches. Will there be any additional modes?

Something I've been working on is this:

https://youtu.be/azGWj_Jbd40

Also, madmole promised me horde mode would make a return.  I know you came on board after horde mode was gone but I'm wondering if you have played it or seen it or if it really is coming back.

Thanks faatal.  You may spell your name wrong but you're pretty cool. 

instead of putting mods in the appdata, which is a hidden file and most people will have to google how to get to it. why dont you put it in the My documents/games folder where they can easily get to it? I mean that is where bethesda and many other gaming companies put some of their stuf.

Any chance we get heatmap system re-visit as a requirement for bandit spawns? I think it got nerfed to the ground by now. At least if you are constantly questing and roaming instead of sitting at base.

I dislike never getting heat events on non-modded servers and having city streets quickly becoming empty (since roaming zombies either dont respawn quick enough or just never respawn at all).

The behavior of writeable objects is frustrating.  If a sign or box has writing on it and I edit it, why would it make any sense to show the last thing I typed on a DIFFERENT object?  It should show the same text that is on the object that one is editing.  If I just want to fix a typo or change a number I have to retype the entire string.

It didn't work like this in previous versions.  Please change it back.

20 hours ago, Code6 said:

The behavior of writeable objects is frustrating.  If a sign or box has writing on it and I edit it, why would it make any sense to show the last thing I typed on a DIFFERENT object?  It should show the same text that is on the object that one is editing.  If I just want to fix a typo or change a number I have to retype the entire string.

It didn't work like this in previous versions.  Please change it back.

Good lord, is that really how it works? I could've sworn it worked as you describe, where it shows the current text of the object you are editing. I'm going to have to go back and look because that sounds awfully buggish. That cannot be intended functionality because it makes absolutely no sense.

EDIT: Ok, so I was curious so I jumped onto my PC to check it out. It works the correct way: writable items such as storage or signs DO NOT show the last label you wrote, when first writing it or editing the existing label.

So there are two possibilities:

1. It's a bug in whatever version you are using, but this is highly unlikely.
  2. The more likely explanation is you have a mod or modlet installed that is causing the issue. Which, again is probably a bug, but you'd need to take it up with the mod creator.

If you aren't using any mods, then report it as a bug. It's definitely not a feature.

EDIT #2: One additional note. You also mentioned having to retype an entire string to make an edit. This is technically true. When you go to edit a box/sign label, the entire string gets highlighted, so if you start typing, it will overwrite the entire label. However, you can use the mouse/arrow keys to place the cursor where you want to make the edit.

Edited by Syphon583
Clarification (see edit history)