A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

3 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Interesting...because if I select the Horror category in the summer sale promotion, 7D2D is listed there....

And why is „early access“ a game genre anyway? Steam is such a funny place, anything weird can happen anytime 🤪

3 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

It looks terrible and disgusting.If I want to play horror, I will go to Rezident Evil.
"TITLE: 7 Days to Die GENRE: Action, Adventure Games, Indie, Role-playing Games, Simulators, Strategies, Early Access DEVELOPER: The Fun Pimps PUBLISHER: The Fun Pimps Entertainment LLC RELEASE DATE: 13 Dec. 2013"
Show me the word horror?I don't see him!Instead of making HD models of old zombies and adding variety, you draw some kind of ugliness!

You are partly right, I would have preferred the old fat man in the Hawaiian shirt, but in the elaborate HD version instead of the new disgusting freak. But I disagree that this game is not in the horror category. There's just a difference between fear and disgust

34 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

Hopefully they're stuffing his guts back in. Poor @%$#. :D

It’s the … wight… thing to do. It’s been so long since he’s had that looked at since the … walker… in clinic botched it. I’ve …. Hoard…. He’s really self conscious about it but Maybe if they stitch him up he’ll be happier and …. Turn …. the other cheek, but it would be quite the … rad…ical change of heart to have him a…green… with humanity and not want to eat them. 

(I’m sorry. I’ve had a long day. Feels like … 7 days…. All compressed into one.)

6 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Are any of these games fully destructible? Or fully craftable? The biggest performance gain in photo realistic games is control of the sight line using static "backgrounds" which you cannot interact with -- a static 3d image, if you will. You can then reduce the amount of textures that need to be loaded, optimize light sources, optimize occlusion, etc. The moment you can go anywhere you see, destroy anything you see and recreate anything you see, at that moment you lose or reduce a bunch of optimization options.

For example, you can't restrict your texture palette for the winter biome because the player might just decide to make stuff from the desert or forest biome, and then you have to render those textures as well so they need to be loaded. You have to worry about shadows because you can't control the light sources. And so on and so forth.

So there is absolutely no point in comparing a game where the player can go anywhere, make anything and destroy anything with a game that doesn't. Now, that demo  did purport to support this, though I shudder at the thought of the memory requirements, but let's say 7d2d was using Unreal Engine instead of Unity, would 7d2d use that stuff? No. Because it wasn't there in 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 or 2013. As far as I can tell that is a whole new subsystem, something you need to build on top of instead of something that can be added to an existing project and instantly net benefits. 

Which goes back to my point: what game is currently available using it? I suspect the answer is "none", and no game under development right now will use it either. The only games that will use it are games that will start to be developed once this is available (from other comments it seems it's not even generally available yet) and the games that got exclusive access to it while it was being developed.  And if no game that has reached alpha stage could make use of it then it doesn't matter whether 7d2d uses Unity or UE.

Well full dectructible? nope - trader XD well i can say diffrent way - now it can't be do nothing to "fix it" and that's true . why?  randomgane. honestly if 7dtd had something like the forest , ark like - only one map it let to have better graphic so much right? - i remember that in would include story so "limited destructbile world"( protected bunker lab traders) - navezgane only could make stuff simpler = no 250 POI but only 80  with some bigger like airport . Ofc this game would be quiet smaller but... ended probably in 2019. ofc it could have worst zombie models for example. but it woudn't be so limited in 7dtd2.  it was diffrents trend but cod and fortnite are proves that people prefere one but rly good map - yeah this is diffrent gender of game but have this same stuff like the forest - one big map. So do i say rwg should be cuted and focused on navegane only?  nope it is too late . so what i'm sugesting ? add more "epidemic" stuff  , bandits annd... create hints about next game and this is almost everything i see what can be done.  honestly i wish i could say something positive. rly i want but i can't. ofc TFP do great job and it is their first game. and well they don't abbadoned it like a lot of game in early access. sorry guys for such deppresing post but .. well this minecraft is like shoes - almost this same for years but it will never be old because it is so simple. 7dtd is like m16 - good , classic funny but it need  M4.  well i know you will say i'm just complaing and do nothing and if i'm soo smart i should make game myown xd  but  well i know i can't i just can write random useless ideas XD as always in my life , btw  TFP you are doing rly good work , you guys can be proud of yourself and i think you will do a lot . 

6 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

It’s the … wight… thing to do. It’s been so long since he’s had that looked at since the … walker… in clinic botched it. I’ve …. Hoard…. He’s really self conscious about it but Maybe if they stitch him up he’ll be happier and …. Turn …. the other cheek, but it would be quite the … rad…ical change of heart to have him a…green… with humanity and not want to eat them. 

(I’m sorry. I’ve had a long day. Feels like … 7 days…. All compressed into one.)

well we did have someone see him during the night and they took a quick pic of him.... but he is like big foot and no one has caught a clear picture of him.

actually after getting close to him and he b-slapped me.. my vision did get blurry as all get out. :)

A20.0_2021-06-25_20-50-54.jpg

18 hours ago, ZombieHorde said:

Yeah, I'm not implying they didn't make a great game. As you said, 7dtd is still at least top 5 of my best games, only lowering from the top spot simply because nearly 2000 hours later and I need a little change and to appreciate some of the other great games around.

I suppose I am saying that when they chose Unity, I doubt they thought something as spectacular as this demo was going to come along in Unreal engine, otherwise I think they would have gone for Unreal and developed it with the future in mind.  So in that sense it's a bit of a disappointment, but definitely nothing anyone could have seen when Unity was chosen.

Your just digging your self a deeper hole.  Even if UE5 was better for voxel games, its a bit of a stretch to expect TFPs to foresee that when they 1st started.  Unless the tech. was already fully realized back then.

The great news is that at least one of their next games does use the UE engine as announced in one of their dev streams.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, bilibili-wayne said:

Sincerely hope that developers healthy body, the work is smooth!

Hey, are you the guy who has also written the manuals for all my electric devices in my household?

😄sorry, no offense meant, I'm just kidding. Google still has a hard time translating Chinese-English.

It's just cool to hear 7d2d is loved so much all over the planet.

...now that you are here, can you do me a favor: go to your nearest container port and send the cargo ships! I am still waiting for an impact drill a have ordered in Febuary!

Thanks!👍 😁

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

6 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

glad for your excitement and for others there with you.

a20 almost finished... uh no.. lots to do, we are just getting closer tho.

when it is ready it will be posted here on our forum , probably in twitter and facebook.

no dates (been that way for a long time and not changing) closest thing is soon or the old ... never mind i wont say it :)

next game(s) top secret and heavily guarded (our own artists dont know what they are creating) the best surprise is the one kept secret until its time to spill the beans. :)

sorry... but keep the hype going

top secret ? let's say : kurwa. this sound likeeee change for polish men! okay so i need russian and guy from czech republic. We are going to TFP HQ. With vodka ofc. a lot of vodka. NOBODY refuse drink vodka. After 5-6 bottles we will get this info. uraaaa!!!!

10 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well full dectructible? nope - trader XD well i can say diffrent way - now it can't be do nothing to "fix it" and that's true . why?  randomgane. honestly if 7dtd had something like the forest , ark like - only one map it let to have better graphic so much right? - i remember that in would include story so "limited destructbile world"( protected bunker lab traders) - navezgane only could make stuff simpler = no 250 POI but only 80  with some bigger like airport . Ofc this game would be quiet smaller but... ended probably in 2019. ofc it could have worst zombie models for example. but it woudn't be so limited in 7dtd2.  it was diffrents trend but cod and fortnite are proves that people prefere one but rly good map - yeah this is diffrent gender of game but have this same stuff like the forest - one big map. So do i say rwg should be cuted and focused on navegane only?  nope it is too late . so what i'm sugesting ? add more "epidemic" stuff  , bandits annd... create hints about next game and this is almost everything i see what can be done.  honestly i wish i could say something positive. rly i want but i can't. ofc TFP do great job and it is their first game. and well they don't abbadoned it like a lot of game in early access. sorry guys for such deppresing post but .. well this minecraft is like shoes - almost this same for years but it will never be old because it is so simple. 7dtd is like m16 - good , classic funny but it need  M4.  well i know you will say i'm just complaing and do nothing and if i'm soo smart i should make game myown xd  but  well i know i can't i just can write random useless ideas XD as always in my life , btw  TFP you are doing rly good work , you guys can be proud of yourself and i think you will do a lot . 

It is fully destructible, except for someone who is trying very very hard to win an unwinnable argument. Just like CoD is a shooter even if you sometimes have to watch a video sequence without any shooting.

Why should 7D2D change into some uninspired clone of Forest Ark L4D Cod ? If you want to play a basic shooter or a pure survival game then just play Forest Ark L4D or Cod or some of their dozens of clones and be done with it.

The game is different for a reason. I wouldn't play it anymore if it threw out destructible world and random game for really useless stuff like only one map with better graphics. In fact your suggestion is the single most effective way to throw away everything that makes 7D2D special and a success for 8 years on-going.

Maybe you should be going to the forums of "Civilization" and "Fifa" and convince the developers of those games they should change their games to be a shooter like CoD. Help those poor misdirected developers so they see the light and produce another rail shooter. 😁

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Maybe you should be going to the forums of "Civilization" and "Fifa" and convince the developers of those games they should change their games to be a shooter like CoD. Help those poor misdirected developers so they see the light and produce another rail shooter. 😁

Hey...that kind of biting sarcasm used to be my part around here.

...but well

image.png.7a75a2da4f1ff281cedebf1e7491dde0.png

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

It is fully destructible, except for someone who is trying very very hard to win an unwinnable argument. 

Well... except traders. They are far down in the "non-priority" issue list though. In the meantime, we should tag it "Almost fully destroyable" or "You can destroy everything within the sandbox from bedrock upwards, 'butt' not really".

19 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

It looks terrible and disgusting.

That's just the still picture of it too. Wait until you experience the jiggle physics.

I'm sorry you did not know what you were buying into but the game is still developing. Luckily, you can remain on the current version that doesn't include this zombie-- or mod it out of any of the future versions. People have been removing particular enemies they don't like since the beginning: dog, stripper, screamer, vulture, demolisher...

Think of it like a club you are about to join.

I suppose they can still be engineering if they are feature locked, but that means they are only engineering features that they have a high degree of confidence they can deliver on for this Alpha.

If they aren't feature locked, that means that the door is still open for new features to be added.

If they are debugging, that would mean features are locked and engineering is finished or almost finished and all they are doing is getting the already engineered features to work reliably and performantly.

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

It is fully destructible, except for someone who is trying very very hard to win an unwinnable argument. Just like CoD is a shooter even if you sometimes have to watch a video sequence without any shooting.

Why should 7D2D change into some uninspired clone of Forest Ark L4D Cod ? If you want to play a basic shooter or a pure survival game then just play Forest Ark L4D or Cod or some of their dozens of clones and be done with it.

The game is different for a reason. I wouldn't play it anymore if it threw out destructible world and random game for really useless stuff like only one map with better graphics. In fact your suggestion is the single most effective way to throw away everything that makes 7D2D special and a success for 8 years on-going.

well, yesterday was deppresing day so sorry for that 😅 well changing game in this same series sometimes can be soo good like - resident evil 4 and 8 . well honestly 7dtd have a "chance" to have something like resident evil. i mean - 7dtd as sandbox , 7 hour to die - linear shooter focused on story like = you are marine and you have quiet easy job - transport some docs somewhere. but something going wrong - duke take off convoy and zombie outbrake is begun. well honestly i don't remember what i wanted when i was making older post but it was just bad day

6 hours ago, Roland said:

That's just the still picture of it too. Wait until you experience the jiggle physics.

I'm sorry you did not know what you were buying into but the game is still developing. Luckily, you can remain on the current version that doesn't include this zombie-- or mod it out of any of the future versions. People have been removing particular enemies they don't like since the beginning: dog, stripper, screamer, vulture, demolisher...

Think of it like a club you are about to join.

First came big momma's underbritches. Then hawaiian's belly jiggle. Now rad-man's popping pustules... where is it going to stop? WHEN IS IT GOING TO END??? 

6 hours ago, DanLW said:

Looks like July 1 will be the anniversary of A19 exp

I 'member back when A20 was going to be a small update that was out before the Christmas sale, as they were going to try for small but frequent updates instead of the slower but bigger updates.

Technically they didn't say which Christmas sale, so it's still on track

4 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I 'member back when A20 was going to be a small update that was out before the Christmas sale, as they were going to try for small but frequent updates instead of the slower but bigger updates.

Technically they didn't say which Christmas sale, so it's still on track

Good things come to those who wait.  😄