A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

2 hours ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Yeah! Instead of saying that TFP makes a great game and became pioneers in some sense, let's praise the demo version of something, which shows 5% of 7 Days to die and which could not have appeared 8 years ago when TFP embarked on this difficult path. Great job, my friend. Great job! 😉

Yeah, I'm not implying they didn't make a great game. As you said, 7dtd is still at least top 5 of my best games, only lowering from the top spot simply because nearly 2000 hours later and I need a little change and to appreciate some of the other great games around.

I suppose I am saying that when they chose Unity, I doubt they thought something as spectacular as this demo was going to come along in Unreal engine, otherwise I think they would have gone for Unreal and developed it with the future in mind.  So in that sense it's a bit of a disappointment, but definitely nothing anyone could have seen when Unity was chosen.

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

This looks awesome.

well it looks soo good ^^

3 hours ago, ZombieHorde said:

Sorry, TFPs. You chose the betamax over the casette tape. The laserdisk over VHS.  HD DVD instead of the blu ray. 

In the winning corner, we have a voxel world, procedurally generated engine with better physics than I've ever seen before and looking much, much nicer than probably anything I've seen as well, we have:

Yeah it's looks so good but still it is early acces so TFP would wait a 1-2 years for final version

2 hours ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Yeah! Instead of saying that TFP makes a great game and became pioneers in some sense, let's praise the demo version of something, which shows 5% of 7 Days to die and which could not have appeared 8 years ago when TFP embarked on this difficult path. Great job, my friend. Great job! 😉

<sigh> yeah they make a great game it true but 8 years in gaming is a lot and pionners? not likely= sandbox mc first  - realistic graphic sandbox  ( no blockslike world) = the forest and dayz .  Well 8 ago coh2 was a quiet new game and had a quiet good physic but now it is just standard. graphic? well looks on subnatica :)  so yeah progress can be  seen but graphic standart and small number of props  looks for example like l4d1 before l4d2 -  empty houses , Rwg is  now created cities similiar to dead toll (in 2021) city , small number of car props , no posters about infection and another type of "setting" stuff. so yeah they make a lot but still have a lot of to do like water - still looks bad and have poor physic - it can be done but it must be done xd  

7 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

You sure about that? Because I haven't seen any posted screenshots of the screamer.

agreed, if they seen anything it would have only been an artists concept and concepts arent actual updates.

and as far as the farmer ... did you see the corn fields lately... damn blight took over so the farmer was fired. :)

5 hours ago, ZombieHorde said:

Now there's a Zombie I don't think I want to shoot. Imagine all that pus exploding everywhere. *Shudders*

Try reading Arthur Stone's Respawn series. People have to drink something made out of zombie pus to survive! Yuck!

5 hours ago, ZombieHorde said:

Sorry, TFPs. You chose the betamax over the casette tape. The laserdisk over VHS.  HD DVD instead of the blu ray. 

In the winning corner, we have a voxel world, procedurally generated engine with better physics than I've ever seen before and looking much, much nicer than probably anything I've seen as well, we have:

Excuse me but what game are you talking about? I'm sure you didn't intend to compare a game with a tech demo, but I can't seem to find the actual available-for-sale game that does what the tech demo shows.

6 hours ago, ZombieHorde said:

snip

Hi everyone,

here's some live footage where I will shoot a zombie in that unreal engine game:

image.png.b2c8de18450fc877c16142536fdf85e4.png

no, it is not a picture, it is a live stream.

I will update this post i a few hours when my PC has finally rendered the next frame.

The zombie I will shoot is behind that mountain in the background.

So it could take a little while before I take the actual shot.

Stay tuned 

3 hours ago, ZombieHorde said:

Yeah, I'm not implying they didn't make a great game. As you said, 7dtd is still at least top 5 of my best games, only lowering from the top spot simply because nearly 2000 hours later and I need a little change and to appreciate some of the other great games around.

I suppose I am saying that when they chose Unity, I doubt they thought something as spectacular as this demo was going to come along in Unreal engine, otherwise I think they would have gone for Unreal and developed it with the future in mind.  So in that sense it's a bit of a disappointment, but definitely nothing anyone could have seen when Unity was chosen.

Who tells you they won't use THAT for their next game? :gossip:

59 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Who tells you they won't use THAT for their next game? :gossip:

i hope so o.0

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Try reading Arthur Stone's Respawn series. People have to drink something made out of zombie pus to survive! Yuck!

Excuse me but what game are you talking about? I'm sure you didn't intend to compare a game with a tech demo, but I can't seem to find the actual available-for-sale game that does what the tech demo shows.

Well horizon zero have quiet good graphic like it ,  same days gone , racket and clank

7 hours ago, Games&#x27;n&#x27;Grumble said:

7d2d is fantastic, but nothing in or about this game is pioneering lol.

DIfficult path though, yes I agree, what they have done is great.

5 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

i hope so o.0

Well horizon zero have quiet good graphic like it ,  same days gone , racket and clank

Are any of these games fully destructible? Or fully craftable? The biggest performance gain in photo realistic games is control of the sight line using static "backgrounds" which you cannot interact with -- a static 3d image, if you will. You can then reduce the amount of textures that need to be loaded, optimize light sources, optimize occlusion, etc. The moment you can go anywhere you see, destroy anything you see and recreate anything you see, at that moment you lose or reduce a bunch of optimization options.

For example, you can't restrict your texture palette for the winter biome because the player might just decide to make stuff from the desert or forest biome, and then you have to render those textures as well so they need to be loaded. You have to worry about shadows because you can't control the light sources. And so on and so forth.

So there is absolutely no point in comparing a game where the player can go anywhere, make anything and destroy anything with a game that doesn't. Now, that demo  did purport to support this, though I shudder at the thought of the memory requirements, but let's say 7d2d was using Unreal Engine instead of Unity, would 7d2d use that stuff? No. Because it wasn't there in 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 or 2013. As far as I can tell that is a whole new subsystem, something you need to build on top of instead of something that can be added to an existing project and instantly net benefits. 

Which goes back to my point: what game is currently available using it? I suspect the answer is "none", and no game under development right now will use it either. The only games that will use it are games that will start to be developed once this is available (from other comments it seems it's not even generally available yet) and the games that got exclusive access to it while it was being developed.  And if no game that has reached alpha stage could make use of it then it doesn't matter whether 7d2d uses Unity or UE.

46 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

No one is saying that, of course, but using the framework they are all familiar with has many advantages.

We already know their next game will be in Unreal - I doubt they will reuse what they've built for 7 Days for future games. There are many limitations that have hampered their true vision too many times.

12 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

We already know their next game will be in Unreal - I doubt they will reuse what they've built for 7 Days for future games. There are many limitations that have hampered their true vision too many times.

Yes and no.

33 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

Show me the word horror?I don't see 

There you go.

You might have missed it cause it is written over a line break.

But it is there, right on the main page.

I have marked it for you.

image.thumb.png.6f944df75a132593fe51a5724df99e13.png

EDIT:

I'm just curious:

What will you do now,

after all these years of zombie-head-exploding-sledge-hits, legless creatures creeping towards you, exploring dark cellars hearing strange groans and so on, and you now have been actually proven you have been playing a horror game all the time?

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Will the increased gamestage across different biomes affect horde nights?

Hope there is a way in the balance they will do, to avoid exploiting the better loot and XP if it does. 

Making a base near a wasteland biome, where a horde base is build in will worn off the cool time we have out there. 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Hope there is a way in the balance they will do, to avoid exploiting the better loot and XP if it does. 

Making a base near a wasteland biome, where a horde base is build in will worn off the cool time we have out there. 

Yeah, or at the very least there will hopefully be a way to modify these values through XML.

1 hour ago, jorbascrumps said:

Ahh but which of their new games will be which engine is the real question. They're working on 3 after all.

57 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

Вот и ты.

Возможно, вы его пропустили, потому что оно написано над разрывом строки.

Но он есть, прямо на главной странице.

Я отметил его для вас.

РЕДАКТИРОВАТЬ:

Мне просто любопытно:

Что вы теперь будете делать,

после всех этих лет зомби-взрывающихся голов-ударов кувалдами, безногих существ, ползущих к вам, исследующих темные подвалы, слышащих странные стоны и так далее, и теперь вы действительно доказали, что все это время играли в игру ужасов?

I took the latest information from the page in steam and there is no word horror among all genres there.
The legless zombie and the first truly ugly zombies appeared in the 19th alpha.
Exploding heads and severed limbs are perceived normally since the days of GTA III,and the sounds give an atmosphere.
But now they are adding freaks to the game as in some RE.
And I don't understand how you can admire this.

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

There you go.

EDIT:

I'm just curious:

What will you do now,

after all these years of zombie-head-exploding-sledge-hits, legless creatures creeping towards you, exploring dark cellars hearing strange groans and so on, and you now have been actually proven you have been playing a horror game all the time?

sorry but you didnt complete it. :)

bandicam 2021-06-25 14-07-12-009.jpg

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

There you go.

EDIT:

I'm just curious:

What will you do now,

sorry but you didnt complete it. :)

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Hmm... ok now, are you willingly ignoring what is written in the game description? :twitch:

image.png.abfbad62625ee6e212e5bfea6297bf27.png

you post the description where the word horror appears.

He posts a part where it does not appear to „prove“ it isnt there at all.

...so yes, he is willingly ignoring it. 

I guess we are being trolled, aren‘t we?

5 minutes ago, Dares said:

Hello there 

I play the game since A15 i guess. Had so much fun during the time, exploring the navezgane map, playing with friend. Building our own big base on the corn field and stuff. Recently got back for A19.5 and the game took me over again. Still great and i like the changes.

About the new Z. I like it ! And i would like to see the spider getting more love in this way. Maybe some freaky spider like eyes so when you see it you will get an instant heart attack. Everytime I see the spider in game i have in mind the mutated zombie from resident evil. With the long tongue and visible brain.

I would like to see in this game some secret lab, underground, ultimate T6 Poi, where in the past scientist made experiment's on the already turned humans to zombies. It could open a path for some more special Zeds like this one. Mutated and all

Yeah, RedMesa 2.0 or something. I‘m in for that. Haven‘t visited that poi in A19, must remember to check in A20 maybe it got some update.