A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

13 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

He wouldnt suit cities but cities dont even take up the majority of the space in the game. Inversely no current zombie looks good anywhere in the wilderness, it would be good to have some wild zombies that spawn when you are a long way away from the city

6 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

I like that Idea!

And it would in fact fit perfectly in the apocalyptic background story.

I mean when things go f***ed up, there would surely be a bunch of prepper/survivalist/backpacker guys retreating deep into the wilderness.

There already are some smaller pois where those guys would probably be expected, e.g. those very small encampments with two tents and a campfire (those don't show up anymore since A16/17?)....or even the tiny ruins with just a broken wall corner of the building. 

But I hope/expect when once bandits are introduced, there might also be a zombified version of them,

and those would more or less "fit that gap".

Because bandits would have "evolved" from people who escaped the "big bang"

i was taking about it few time like survivor with backpack and bandolier  or  wild girl in fiber cloth with dirt on hand and mud on bare feet XD

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

That's not what the whole idea of unbalance was. It was always about too easily circumventing the level design of the POIs

They can't yet and the pathing for them consciously moving through 1 meter spaces won't be in until at least A21-- and whether they can or not has no bearing on whether players can or not. The only factor is level design.

They would have to go and redesign them taking into account the ability of the player to break a single block and crawl through anywhere.

Ah  I see. I was under the impression that it was about too unfair to zombie's. Not making it too easy. 

I thought is was about player choices. Just like Madmole was talking about.  You can break down doors but it would be better if they player followed the path through the POI's.  

Are you talking about replaying a POI? I can understand not wanting to make it too easy. On the other hand if you were being pursued by a flesh-eating zombie.  Would you worry about making a full size doorway or would you try and pop through a smaller hole?  ;) 

22 hours ago, dcsobral said:

It was remodeled, I think for alpha 19. I recall the twitter update on it. Well, I might distinctly remember it but I can't find it, but I recall it was an image on the garage of the military base compound, and also showcased the new lightning.

that was Boa. aka the infected survivor 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

3 hours ago, sillls said:

Ah  I see. I was under the impression that it was about too unfair to zombie's. Not making it too easy. 

I thought is was about player choices. Just like Madmole was talking about.  You can break down doors but it would be better if they player followed the path through the POI's.  

Are you talking about replaying a POI? I can understand not wanting to make it too easy. On the other hand if you were being pursued by a flesh-eating zombie.  Would you worry about making a full size doorway or would you try and pop through a smaller hole?  ;) 

You would if there was no other possibility. And in this game there is no other possibility.

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

yes!

WE NEED ZOMBIE SNAKES!

the zombie vultures will pick them up and drop them in your house :D

no we don't neeed resident evil survival XD wee neeed cute crying girl who will rip you in halve in very blood way 

Hi, I have a question again 😉

QUESTION: Will the stealth skill in the game ever affect the game in multiplayer?
What I mean. When buying stealth perks, zombies notice you with great difficulty, since your footsteps are almost inaudible.

I would like the stealth perks to also reduce the noise that the player produces for other players on the server.

Hope to get an answer here from @madmole or @faatal
Thank you

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

On 6/18/2021 at 10:12 PM, Roland said:

It is exactly the same reason why locked doors will not be pickable.

Lemme stop you right there. It's absolutely not the same. With 1 meter holes you DO have to redesign every single POI and it also gives the player an extremely unfair advantadge vs AI , yet with doors, you have an asset: Door. You code-in a mechanic (lockpick door). You can further swap current "nailed plank" door states bia animation/breaking until they become "pickable" (that is, once you break the planks down and said swapping happens, like right now). So it doesn't require redesign at all.

With physics-accurate doors it becomes easier to implement, as you can get rid of all the swapping altogether and just make them 1500hp and lock-pickable. You go to the editor and change the current model references to the new ones and bam, there you go. 

Do they being "pickable" makes clearing a POI easier? well, that depends. Only if you are a lockpicking master or you have the lockpicking candy, etc. Exactly the same as a strenght character breaking doors like they were cardboard courtains.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:04 PM, bloodmoth13 said:

He wouldnt suit cities but cities dont even take up the majority of the space in the game. Inversely no current zombie looks good anywhere in the wilderness, it would be good to have some wild zombies that spawn when you are a long way away from the city

A while back I suggested maybe they could put in a generic looking zombie. 

Maybe a few variations of them but just something to greater populate certain areas like cities or whatever. 

They would have pretty low HP but their numbers is the true threat....just like in most zombie movies. 

58 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

To All Arrows: Happy Feathers Day!

58 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Additionally, to all stars in the firmament, happy Sunday

This folks. This is why it was necessary I made sure Fathers was double stated. 

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Lemme stop you right there. It's absolutely not the same. With 1 meter holes you DO have to redesign every single POI and it also gives the player an extremely unfair advantadge vs AI , yet with doors, you have an asset: Door. You code-in a mechanic (lockpick door). You can further swap current "nailed plank" door states bia animation/breaking until they become "pickable" (that is, once you break the planks down and said swapping happens, like right now). So it doesn't require redesign at all.

With physics-accurate doors it becomes easier to implement, as you can get rid of all the swapping altogether and just make them 1500hp and lock-pickable. You go to the editor and change the current model references to the new ones and bam, there you go. 

Do they being "pickable" makes clearing a POI easier? well, that depends. Only if you are a lockpicking master or you have the lockpicking candy, etc. Exactly the same as a strenght character breaking doors like they were cardboard courtains.

lemme stop you right there. I never said that 1-block egress and lock picking doors were the same thing. I said that the reason the devs won't include them is the same and I'm only repeating what the developers have said from their own perspective what their reasoning is. As designers of the levels it is the same thing for both-- players easily working around the design of the level albeit in differnent ways.  I get that from a player's perspective it is not the same but the developers don't want stuff like that which invalidate their work. Don't believe me? Take a look at who liked my comment...

I'm personally not against either. I think a deeper lock picking skill including doors and 1 meter movement would both be awesome. I'm for them-- but I'm not in a position to make those changes a reality. My only power for change is being annoying enough for them to block me if I keep pushing once they've said no.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I am afraid Roland is correct.  Lots of POIs are designed with doors locked to keep the player on the intended path.  Adding lock picking would require level design to redesign sleeper encounters at the bare minimum.

The exception to this is if the locked door leads to a dead end room that has minimal impact to the rest of the POI.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

lemme stop you right there. I'm only repeating what the developers have said from their own perspective. As designers of the levels it is the same (acting out level workarounds that are not intended).  I get that from a player's perspective it is not the same but the developers don't want stuff like that which invalidate their work. Don't believe me? Take a look at who liked my comment...

pff faatal love trolling so he can do reverse like or even reverse reverse reverse revers opinion 😂

But honestly from "time" perspective it is pointless to redesign every POI when can be done something else . Yeah it something work strange but who could be such idiot to waste months to just change doors xd

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

I am afraid Roland is correct.  Lots of POIs are designed with doors locked to keep the player on the intended path.  Adding lock picking would require level design to redesign sleeper encounters at the bare minimum.

The exception to this is if the locked door leads to a dead end room that has minimal impact to the rest of the POI.

Could have the locked doors lead to side loot rooms, toss in a few extra zeds in a cramped space and it’d give the player an option to make the POI a bit harder for more loot. Basically just storage closets but a bit bigger. It’d require a bit of rebalancing of the POIs and would likely be a non-choice for clear em out quests, but it might be fun and could give more of a decision in how a player wants to approach doing the POI than just “finish it or bail out early”. Also would be a decent anti-nerd poleing measure.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

lemme stop you right there. I never said that 1-block egress and lock picking doors were the same thing. I said that the reason the devs won't include them is the same and I'm only repeating what the developers have said from their own perspective what their reasoning is. As designers of the levels it is the same thing for both-- players easily working around the design of the level albeit in differnent ways.  I get that from a player's perspective it is not the same but the developers don't want stuff like that which invalidate their work. Don't believe me? Take a look at who liked my comment...

I'm personally not against either. I think a deeper lock picking skill including doors and 1 meter movement would both be awesome. I'm for them-- but I'm not in a position to make those changes a reality. My only power for change is being annoying enough for them to block me if I keep pushing once they've said no.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

I hear lots of yada yada from both of you, yet you guys are ignoring the fact that current locked AND closed AND planked AND reinforced doors (except the rare vault one) are just what, 1200 hp  with all the swaps?. And breaking them is common for players with or without the "brass door knob" book. I'm just saying, making them pickable doesn't change a thing. Why? because it takes couple of minutes to break with a stone axe or a couple of minutes to pick open with 50 lockpicks.

Perked? a handful of hits with my left buttcheek and lockpicked with my pinky nail in a handful of breaths. So design would stay exactly as it is now, wether you like it or not. Wether faatal likes it or not, lol.

10 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I hear lots of yada yada from both of you, yet you guys are ignoring the fact that current locked AND closed AND planked AND reinforced doors (except the rare vault one) are just what, 1200 hp  with all the swaps?. And breaking them is common for players with or without the "brass door knob" book. I'm just saying, making them pickable doesn't change a thing. Why? because it takes couple of minutes to break with a stone axe or a couple of minutes to pick open with 50 lockpicks.

Perked? a handful of hits with my left buttcheek and lockpicked with my pinky nail in a handful of breaths. So design would stay exactly as it is now, wether you like it or not. Wether faatal likes it or not, lol.

In all cases I have seen and tested, the player path never requires a player to break any doors because it ruins the designed experience especially when doing a quest.

Can a player do so if they choose to do so?  Of course they can, the game is a fully destructible voxel game. 😃  

TLDR...

Yada yada yada yada... 😁

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)