Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

Just wanted to point out while the topic of the zombie designs is still kind of fresh in this thread that imo the new models for the feral Z's like the spider and wight, while they look good in general I think the shorts look a little silly and reduces the scare/cool value. I liked how the wight before looked completely different from any other zombie in the game and had no clothes, reinforcing that they're more monstrous and inhuman. My buddy got genuinely scared @%$#less the first time they got ambushed by the current wight lol, because it doesn't look at all like a normal zombie and it's shocking to see that sprinting out of nowhere without warning. Same friend also agreed that the shorts looked goofy when I showed them the new designs.

Edited by HeemboGlobin (see edit history)

On 9/23/2021 at 4:33 AM, faatal said:

That picture covers those cases. Hard to see, but that is me placing a block on top of a plant. It would fall.

What about the situation where the "selection" shifts as you click to place .. causing it to place a block not where intended?

And to be clear, I am not talking about where the mouse was moved last moment and you misplace. Rather about where the game seems to "jitter" and place where it shouldn't be. This even can (infrequently, but I run across it now and then) place a block BEHIND another block, where you have no visual line of sight to the "back" of the block where it's placing it. Ie, there's no way you could do it on purpose, as you can't target the far side of a block that's out of visual view, but the game "jitter" (for want of better term) still targets it, and places it in an impossible location.

3 hours ago, HeemboGlobin said:

Just wanted to point out while the topic of the zombie designs is still kind of fresh in this thread that imo the new models for the feral Z's like the spider and wight, while they look good in general I think the shorts look a little silly and reduces the scare/cool value. I liked how the wight before looked completely different from any other zombie in the game and had no clothes, reinforcing that they're more monstrous and inhuman. My buddy got genuinely scared @%$#less the first time they got ambushed by the current wight lol, because it doesn't look at all like a normal zombie and it's shocking to see that sprinting out of nowhere without warning. Same friend also agreed that the shorts looked goofy when I showed them the new designs.

I see. You believe that naked is always better. That's perfectly normal if only a bit unsettling.

@faatal About the dismemberment and gore topic. I believe I saw you say that 7 days to die is made on the default Unity 3D pipeline correct?

If so, are bullet wound decals even in the plans? From what I've searched when making an fps project, for complex meshes you need HDRP in order to get decals to wrap around them (perhaps there's a workaround for the default pipeline but I dunno). I'm asking this because from all I've seen so far, 7 days to die has always been in need of some decent visual feedback when shooting zeds, and now more than ever with the new high-res models.

4 hours ago, RhinoW said:

@faatal About the dismemberment and gore topic. I believe I saw you say that 7 days to die is made on the default Unity 3D pipeline correct?

If so, are bullet wound decals even in the plans? From what I've searched when making an fps project, for complex meshes you need HDRP in order to get decals to wrap around them (perhaps there's a workaround for the default pipeline but I dunno). I'm asking this because from all I've seen so far, 7 days to die has always been in need of some decent visual feedback when shooting zeds, and now more than ever with the new high-res models.

That has been one of my pet peeves as well. It doesn't matter whether the zombie is at full health or has 1 hp left, it looks the same. You just don't have a decent feedback on how much damage you have inflicted, and feedback is king.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, mstdv inc said:

@faatal 
1. Maybe it makes sense to add gfx dt maxlod as an option in the settings?
2. Is it planned to add the weapon fov setting?This has already been implemented in mods,but I would like to see it in vanilla.
I know that some models of tools/weapons can be cut off at a large fov value,but up to a value of 65 everything is ok.
(Value 75 on screenshot)
SY7x8KGvIIM.jpg?size=1280x768&quality=96&sign=990f2bd6b2785da4f2ffca6b8b83008b&type=album

1 Or set it based on terrain quality

2 No. I plan to remove the weapon camera someday (a21?). This is overhead that we can do without, since clipping can be done in the shader. FOV is an issue that needs to be resolved, which is why I have not done it yet.

11 hours ago, Vedui said:

What about the situation where the "selection" shifts as you click to place .. causing it to place a block not where intended?

And to be clear, I am not talking about where the mouse was moved last moment and you misplace. Rather about where the game seems to "jitter" and place where it shouldn't be. This even can (infrequently, but I run across it now and then) place a block BEHIND another block, where you have no visual line of sight to the "back" of the block where it's placing it. Ie, there's no way you could do it on purpose, as you can't target the far side of a block that's out of visual view, but the game "jitter" (for want of better term) still targets it, and places it in an impossible location.

The feature does nothing with what sounds like a bug.

4 hours ago, RhinoW said:

No plans for bullet holes.

31 minutes ago, faatal said:

1 Or set it based on terrain quality

2 No. I plan to remove the weapon camera someday (a21?). This is overhead that we can do without, since clipping can be done in the shader. FOV is an issue that needs to be resolved, which is why I have not done it yet.

The feature does nothing with what sounds like a bug.

No plans for bullet holes.

About bullet hole : will gunes have unique headshot  head model or only melee weapon will "crash" heads?

2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Simple question: do blocks that can be shot through (such as the iron bars) have flags or tags that allow them to be shot through?

I think that is collide. For example I think below it means that those things will collide with the bars (player (movement), club (melee), rocket (rocket)

<block name="ironBarsCentered">
   <code>

<property name="Collide" value="movement,melee,rocket"/>

<more code>
</block>

In this one it will also stop bullets and arrows.

<block name="glassCTRSheet">

<even more code>

<property name="Collide" value="movement,melee,bullet,arrow,rocket"/>

<last code I promise>
</block>

I am sure someone can confirm or deny this .

On 9/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, faatal said:

When switching to exclusive mode, wait 10 frames and check if Screen width/height what you wanted. If not then switch back to the res you wanted in windowed mode, so the user can try again.

Ah, the classic Unity problems require Unity solutions approach. I was hoping for something cool and elegant but since we are talking about unity this is good enough. :)

Thanks! If I manage to find anything better (doubt) I'll share it 😛

I've really been enjoying A20. I think builders will have a blast with all the new toys.

1.) New shape menu
2.) Stability shader shows in real time which is really nice.
3.) Loads of new shapes... LOADS.
4.) Wood is decent to build with.
5.) Upgrade path is simple and less frustrating, less pounding/time wasted upgrading to a million materials.

6.) Land claim seems very generous, I don't know if this has changed though.
7.) All shape menus are the same.

8.) Building with particle board is a huge win versus the transparent frames. You can see exactly what you are building now, like before getting a wedged incline block rotated the right way was tricky because you couldn't see very well.

Overall building is vastly improved. It's really nice not getting in the dev menu to get the blocks you want, and much easier to find/navigate IMO.

@ Faatal / Madmole 

Can you please tell us what are the minimum requirements for a PC so that the a20 / 21 / gold runs smoothly in HD and at least medium or high graphics settings? Is the i-3570K (4x3.8ghz), RX480 8GB, 16 RAM DDR3 still sufficient or is it called "Game Over" for such an old PC from a20? Well for 1-2 years I wanted to keep it until DDR5 becomes the standard ... and since A19.2 I sometimes have "mini-stuttering" (at 48 -56 FPS) and if it freezes for 1 second before the horde comes / spawns. Will it get worse from the A20? And how many cores does 7d2d use? Does it make a difference whether you have, for example, a new CPU with 12 or more cores or the game is only used with a maximum of 4, 6 or 8 cores?

16 minutes ago, madmole said:

I've really been enjoying A20. I think builders will have a blast with all the new toys.

1.) New shape menu
5.) Upgrade path is simple and less frustrating, less pounding/time wasted upgrading to a million materials.

8.) Building with particle board is a huge win versus the transparent frames. You can see exactly what you are building now, like before getting a wedged incline block rotated the right way was tricky because you couldn't see very well.

Overall building is vastly improved. It's really nice not getting in the dev menu to get the blocks you want, and much easier to find/navigate IMO.

Maybe you changed LCB settings to 71 blocks? 😂

3 hours ago, madmole said:

1.) New shape menu

That's very nice. Have you tried the new generator quest? Is it good?

3 hours ago, madmole said:

1.) New shape menu

Will spikes and barber wire  get new shapes too ? ""

And is there any change about how much exp we will get for upgrading ?

And @madmole please: can you confirme newsstand POI? PLEAAAAAASE 🙏

Btw it is true that you like medival period? i know this small offtop but whatever 😅

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

Just like to give a shout out to the Fun Pimps. Love the game, seems like 8 years, way to many hours than I like to admit.

I hope the game never leaves Alpha, I usually play all the way up to the next release. The game feels like something new with every update, I have come to expect a new game with every release. I hope the Pimps find a way to monetize some aspects of the game to keep bringing in new dollars for investment back into the game. 

Bandits are the one feature I want more than anything. I see myself playing this game well into the 2030s. With the level of user customization coming in the future I can see 7DTD becoming like a linux distribution which being forked by different heavily modified user additions. Super Hyped for A20, My Christmas is anytime there is a new update to 7DTD. I am going to be an old man playing this game. I sometimes think what if TFP were to make a sequel to 7DTD in the 2030s running on unreal engine 5, 6 or whatever version is out in the next decade. Long live the Pimps...Rant over and out. 

@madmoleAre The Fun Pimps or the Unity developers looking into getting 7DTD to actually take advantage of high core count CPU's?

On my CPU, the game runs best when forced to run on 4 threads from 4 separate cores. When more then 4 CPU cores are allocated to 7DTD it runs worse. There are huge performance improvements to be had by getting the game to properly use more CPU threads.

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

That's very nice. Have you tried the new generator quest? Is it good?

I haven't seen any yet, but there are generators you can turn on, then activate power at a fuse box that opens up some powered doors in POIs at the exit, which is nice so you don't have to back track through the entire level to get out or jump down etc.

4 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Will spikes and barber wire  get new shapes too ? ""

And is there any change about how much exp we will get for upgrading ?

And @madmole please: can you confirme newsstand POI? PLEAAAAAASE 🙏

Btw it is true that you like medival period? i know this small offtop but whatever 😅

Spikes have new models.
I'm not sure about XP, but I gained some levels building my base.
There might be a newstand POI, its probably a parts thing so it's random.
Uhhhh I live in a castle style house, have long hair and a beard, and axes and some viking collector stuff, and have a few rooms in a medieval / rustic deco style but that is the extent of it.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Uhhhh I live in a castle style house, have long hair and a beard, and axes and some viking collector stuff, and have a few rooms in a medieval / rustic deco style but that is the extent of it.

I put about 30 hours into Valheim.

That's the extent of it for me-- for both Vikings and Valheim.... ;)

10 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Do whatever you want, but if your barber is using "wires", I suggest you to change barber... :suspicious:

XD nah it's looks so good , nobody can sit on you if you have wires everywhere ^^

11 hours ago, madmole said:

I haven't seen any yet, but there are generators you can turn on, then activate power at a fuse box that opens up some powered doors in POIs at the exit, which is nice so you don't have to back track through the entire level to get out or jump down etc.

Spikes have new models.
I'm not sure about XP, but I gained some levels building my base.
There might be a newstand POI, its probably a parts thing so it's random.

OMG could you show us newstand? Pleaseeee this is soo important for me :)

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)