Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

I would say the few survivors remaining (as 7D2D looks like some "double tap" disasters happened) would have found various levels of NIJ armor in various police stations.  The super duper NIJ level 4 is heavy and most people would not want to haul that heavy of armor around.  But the lighter ones would be common IMO.

But many of the ones that are still alive would have NIJ armor or a very good off grid location.  I'm not sure what the military armor is called, but I'm sure its good too and would be used as well.

11 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Are we talking about realism again ... in a game where the farmer has a special armor that gives him bonuses on how many potatoes he gets from a plant pot ? 😉

What if the farmer outfit had a kevlar variant and a steel variant ? I don't think there would be different models necessary apart from some shading or coloring

Maybe not about realism but about "setting " stuff -  exo and nova suits from stalker are "realism"? nope. But realistic because it suit good with rest of the game. So farmer in mad max style will not suit here.

What type of sets will fit good in my opinion? 

Riot armor, soldier armor, Officer armor ( a liitle bit toughter) ,  SWAT armor,  light police armor, leather armor, hazmat armor, Punk clothes, skin clothes ( skin clothes are heavier version of punk clothes), cloth armor ( world war z style), ragged clothes, wild kid clothes (mix of leather and fiber clothes ) , sniper armor, PMC (lighter version of soldier armor with gasmask ) , bandit clothes ( how to explain... hm okay maybe as typical hobo clothes), hunter clothes etc. 

i think change  7dtd into mad max is the worst idea ever- better to keep this as "lighter version of days gone"

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm curious... do any of TFP's team work on weekends when near release?

It's not unheard of when getting near the delivery of a year-long development cycle. :suspicious:

I think Rick told us long ago that they are not obligated to work on weekends nor compelled to do so in their contracts, but they can if they so wish. It's a common thing near internal deadlines ; less common outside of them. 30 bugs are very few bugs. It's close man, real close. 

1 hour ago, unholyjoe said:

might say possible... but you would also be making a presumption too. :)

hell some of them work on sat or sun periodically if a notion on a fix hit them and they wanted to get it in. :) so doesnt  have to be because of an expected release. :)

Exactly. Fixes are like incredibly annoying sudokus sometimes and if a solution hits you it's hard to step away and chill.

If they made armor to simply be mods that could be added to clothing then you could wear whatever you want and add heavy or light armor mods in order to gain armor bonuses. I can’t think of a downside to that. Someone will help me though I’m sure. :)

59 minutes ago, Roland said:

If they made armor to simply be mods that could be added to clothing then you could wear whatever you want and add heavy or light armor mods in order to gain armor bonuses. I can’t think of a downside to that. Someone will help me though I’m sure. :)

this sound's like F2P asian MMO idea xd

53 minutes ago, Roland said:

Well... downside is that every dude and dudette in the game would be wearing Pull and Bear instead of armours. And devs would only be able to make them show either clothing or armour to avoid clipping. 

In an ideal scenario, a whole suit with shoes is an armour set (with buffs and full bonus and all), a puffer coat can be part of another set with boots and the beenie, etc, so variety will still be intact and mods can be applied to any and all armour sets as planned. I mean the new system will offer endless possibilities to add new sets in the future, and I hope to see a lot, as long as you can choose between light or heavy from each set, either by default or by using armour mods**.

**I'd prefer to avoid to make that choice using the armour mods as current ones aren't usually able to fully turn a heavy set into a light set.... and if they were able to, cool unique mods should be added to specifically make light armour viable and optionable vs heavy, due to balance reasons.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Will armor still have mods in A20?   If so.. you would need to be able to Mod Mods....

Edit:  well not A20, but after the rework of clothes/armor

6 hours ago, Swiftpaw said:

We all want A20 to come out, but we all want The Fun Pimps to have lives, fun, and relaxation too.  No working on weekends.  It'll be done when it's done!  Still hoping for a pre-Thanksgiving release, but we shall see.

Just to clarify... I wasn't implying they should or, even worse, that I expect them to 'cause I can't wait. I'm not in a hurry, I'm playing other games in the meantime.

Was just curious to know if it's a "common practice" at TFP studios. :biggrin1:

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Just to clarify... I wasn't implying they should or, even worse, that I expect them to 'cause I can't wait. I'm not in a hurry, I'm playing other games in the meantime.

Was just curious to know if it's a "common practice" at TFP studios. :biggrin1:

Wait. Jost, you mean to tell me you play other games? That's such an interesting concept. Judging by the Steam forums, you would think that 7DTD was the only game they owned. You know who I am there, and those folks just... I don't even know. I do know that I have 400 games across tons of platforms, plus a Switch. I can be patient lol. 

@Roland

I'm curious, because of what you wrote, and the full dialog prior.

Since TFP will be using an inhouse, or even if a precursor in UMA were used as a test.

If the outfit was simply a single full body bonded pieces, a onesie if you will accept,
that overlays the full body. Or when worn simply referred to an alternate model when
the slot is active. It would possibly allow for M/F representation, no clipping issues,
ability to add remove change personally chosen armor, and camouflage armor strength or weakness.

Example: Base model, allows for the traditional, head chest arms legs visual addons.
A fifth slot that is a visual over-ride that refers to an alternate model.

This model has the full garb visual. The armor is merely the numeric of what is worn in
the other slots. The full outfit is basically a visual, and Cvars used to adjust abilitites.

So if you are a strong farmer, you can wear full plate, but still look like a farmer.
If the outfit slot is vacated, it refers back to model one that shows the pieces worn.
You lose the perk incentives, but you are still protected. Wanna do battle just put on the
the nomad uniform, SLOT 1, and receive The added bonuses and visuals. Even a color tint
can be added, if a grayscale overlay pattern is used, similar to adding a tattoo.

It adds variety, flexibility, adaptability, and mod-ability. It can also use both systems
concurrently.

To attain the full outfit, could be a one off find, or a piece together quest, and when all
are found a single item is the result.

@Roland is this similar to what you meant?

On 11/6/2021 at 4:05 PM, Matt115 said:

Well in my opinion invest in weapons perks in first week is just wrong - you still can't one shot kill zombies with junk pistol right?

"Junk pistol" doesn't exist, that's my point. Int doesn't even have a week one, OR week two ranged weapon lol. The Junk Sledge can sometimes be bought week 1, but it's unreliable trying to get it, and you can't even craft it without finding parts that also basically don't spawn the first week. You also can't even put points into the junk line perk until 3 points in int, so that's why I say it's so wonky.

Some points into your main weapon isn't terrible early on, but yeah I'll usually do the more useful early game skills first instead, but you can get 2 levels a day fairly easily, so level 14 by day 7 gives you a lot of skill points to play with so sinking a few into your main weapon is neat. Your attribute also buffs your weapon, so leveling int would be nice if it leveled a weapon line you can actually use, but we are rehashing a rehash of a rehash at this point

I'm more worried at how the devs have evaded the question each time on what the junk perk line will even do / change about the junk drone. AFAIK none have said what it will even do for it, which is a bit worrying this close to release since if it actually did something, they'd probably be like "It increases the drones storage" or something

3 hours ago, Khalagar said:

"Junk pistol" doesn't exist, that's my point. Int doesn't even have a week one, OR week two ranged weapon lol. The Junk Sledge can sometimes be bought week 1, but it's unreliable trying to get it, and you can't even craft it without finding parts that also basically don't spawn the first week. You also can't even put points into the junk line perk until 3 points in int, so that's why I say it's so wonky.

Does it matter that a pure INT build doesn't have a dedicated ranged weapon?  It is the only pure build that can deploy 2 junk turrets max perked and the player able to use a weapon themselves.  All of the other pure builds can't do that.  Perception is the only pure build that can improve on exlposive weapons, Strength is the only pure build that has two melee weapons to spec into, Agility is the only pure build that has two range weapons one can spec into.

Some points into your main weapon isn't terrible early on, but yeah I'll usually do the more useful early game skills first instead, but you can get 2 levels a day fairly easily, so level 14 by day 7 gives you a lot of skill points to play with so sinking a few into your main weapon is neat. Your attribute also buffs your weapon, so leveling int would be nice if it leveled a weapon line you can actually use, but we are rehashing a rehash of a rehash at this point

Again, nothing is preventing a pure INT build from using any of the weapons in the game, you just can't improve yourself on that weapon through perks.  By day 14, I can use any weapon that I have managed to find in loot, bought from a trader, or crafted after finding the schematic for it.

I'm more worried at how the devs have evaded the question each time on what the junk perk line will even do / change about the junk drone. AFAIK none have said what it will even do for it, which is a bit worrying this close to release since if it actually did something, they'd probably be like "It increases the drones storage" or something

Maybe there is nothing to say at this point of time, maybe it is not one that they want to discuss at this time, maybe nothing has changed so far.  Maybe they want people to find out for themselves about the changes.  I don't think there is anything sinister in them not discussing in details about changes that may or may not have occurred in the turrets perk line.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, Matt115 said:

I doubt they will focus a lot on aesthetic differentiation between male and female survivors or even basic gender apocalypse fan service

Wait, no double-barreled Valkyrie armor? :classic_sad:

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

16 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

@Roland

I'm curious, because of what you wrote, and the full dialog prior.

Since TFP will be using an inhouse, or even if a precursor in UMA were used as a test.

If the outfit was simply a single full body bonded pieces, a onesie if you will accept,
that overlays the full body. Or when worn simply referred to an alternate model when
the slot is active. It would possibly allow for M/F representation, no clipping issues,
ability to add remove change personally chosen armor, and camouflage armor strength or weakness.

Example: Base model, allows for the traditional, head chest arms legs visual addons.
A fifth slot that is a visual over-ride that refers to an alternate model.

This model has the full garb visual. The armor is merely the numeric of what is worn in
the other slots. The full outfit is basically a visual, and Cvars used to adjust abilitites.

So if you are a strong farmer, you can wear full plate, but still look like a farmer.
If the outfit slot is vacated, it refers back to model one that shows the pieces worn.
You lose the perk incentives, but you are still protected. Wanna do battle just put on the
the nomad uniform, SLOT 1, and receive The added bonuses and visuals. Even a color tint
can be added, if a grayscale overlay pattern is used, similar to adding a tattoo.

It adds variety, flexibility, adaptability, and mod-ability. It can also use both systems
concurrently.

To attain the full outfit, could be a one off find, or a piece together quest, and when all
are found a single item is the result.

@Roland is this similar to what you meant?

Not really. What I meant is that there would be no more armor to put on and take up one of the four slots. Those four slots would be for clothing pieces of the outfits. So the "farmer outfit" would have head, body, arms, and legs pieces. Those pieces would have mod slots and you could fill a slot with a mod that granted either a light or heavy armor bonus.  So there would be no visual armor.

Someone else mentioned that this could be a downer for PvP which shows they understood what I meant.  Those who were suggesting mods for mods didn't quite get what I meant.

I meant armor as clothing goes away and we have metal plates, or leather lining, or military fiber lining that we are attaching to our clothing to add an armor rating. But it is just a mod and not an actual piece of armor. 

The outfits are not going to be "onesies". They are going to be an ensemble of four distinct parts.

Of course, all we have heard are  ideas mentioned by Madmole. Until it goes into actual development we don't really know what it will end up being exactly. We have seen concept art but the programmers haven't gotten involved yet so it really is premature to definitively state how the outfit change will actually pan out. If they actually get to it in A21 then we will get more concrete news as the programmers make it a reality.

On 10/28/2020 at 9:49 PM, madmole said:

10) Trader to Trader progression

• Details Coming

11) Loot Progression and Gamestaging Improvements

• Details Coming

When will these details be filled out? we have already seen some of these features in the weekly playthroughs with Fubar Prime and the Devs.

I assume the patch notes will have all the exact details when they release them though.

@Roland

Thanks I understand now. I was thinking about it from a reverse engineering
view. When I saw the concept art, and read about the in-house system, on the first
page. The art looked like a single molded model, more detailed than the previous
iteration.

So I wondered how the pieces could still be included if they each had
an overlay without clipping. Personally I like the new suits, they feel more in sync
with the detailed environment, shown by FubarPrime on twitch.

4Sheetz

On 11/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, SpaceBound said:

Dear hardworking Developers, How many MFB is left to fix before hitting Experimental release?

30, but new ones are added on a daily basis.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:03 PM, khzmusik said:

@faatal or whoever else can answer - How much is has the AI pathing been tested with all the new block shapes? I imagine the opportunity for horde base exploits is enormous.

(I personally don't care all that much, but I know others who are obsessed with it.)

Not much compared to the practically unlimited block combinations. I imagine there will be enormous attempts at exploits.

Archived