Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

14 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Speaking of the pipe pistol, it also presents a similar problem to Int where it doesn't fit the new design themes. They wanted to add weapons to the game that used each ammo type early game, but the Magnum ammo is still useless early on. A pipe revolver could solve that issue imo

Currently Magnum, Junk, and Junk Shotgun ammo are all not represented for tier 0, or even tier 1 as I think the magnum is a tier 2 weapon right?

It depends what they want to achieve with the junk weapons.

Junk pistol would be enough if their intention was to achieve that

1) perk points into that weapon category should have an effect on you from day one

2) you can craft a weapon of your attribute and immediately use it with found ammo

It won't be enough if their intention was that all ammo is useable right away.

I think I heard them stating 1 as their objective once, could be wrong though. If correct this would also explain why Int does not need a junk turret

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

as female-only player (if its even possible), i'm curious, if there will be also some nice outfits for women.

all shown are for men, so some girls variations (or sexy ones), would be nice to have too. or some badass-girl like :D

i hope there will be even more outfits overall in future.

1 hour ago, Cronosus said:

as female-only player (if its even possible), i'm curious, if there will be also some nice outfits for women.

all shown are for men, so some girls variations (or sexy ones), would be nice to have too. or some badass-girl like :D

i hope there will be even more outfits overall in future.

Yeah well, they will certainly be designed for both sexes, but I doubt they will focus a lot on aesthetic differentiation between male and female survivors or even basic gender apocalypse fan service (It would be cool though) .

What is a must -in my opinion- is light and heavy armour for each set type, no matter if it's the same 3d model or not. Light and heavy did always have their pros and cons, so that duality wouldn't do a thing against balance and allow a farmer to wear either a light or a heavy farmer set regardless of the player's playstyle .

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Yeah well, they will certainly be designed for both sexes, but I doubt they will focus a lot on aesthetic differentiation between male and female survivors or even basic gender apocalypse fan service (It would be cool though) .

What is a must -in my opinion- is light and heavy armour for each set type, no matter if it's the same 3d model or not. Light and heavy did always have their pros and cons, so that duality wouldn't do a thing against balance and allow a farmer to wear either a light or a heavy farmer set regardless of the player's playstyle .

I am sure someone will come up with mods that provide custom character models and armors.  Would be nice to see at least.

11 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Oh, don't worry... as soon as Jawoodle (or however his nickname is spelled) gets his hands on a copy of A20 Exp., we'll know! :laugh:

If the pathing only breaks when players use an obscure shape in an unconventional way that's unlikely to happen during normal play, then TFP are better off letting the community find the worst bugs while they spend their limited Q&A time finding issues that impact everyone. It seems like a sound strategy, actually.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

It depends what they want to achieve with the junk weapons.

Junk pistol would be enough if their intention was to achieve that

1) perk points into that weapon category should have an effect on you from day one

2) you can craft a weapon of your attribute and immediately use it with found ammo

It won't be enough if their intention was that all ammo is useable right away.

I think I heard them stating 1 as their objective once, could be wrong though. If correct this would also explain why Int does not need a junk turret

Well in my opinion invest in weapons perks in first week is just wrong - you still can't one shot kill zombies with junk pistol right? So invest in INT to get workbench should be piority- and honestly i think "crafting" in now so underpowered because sometimes is much easier to buy a gun that make it

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I think light and heavy variat for each set can't work- like hazmat armor  or leather armor. Steel armor is heavy from definition etc.  so I would prefere to add few light armors few heavy and few "special"

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

I think light and heavy variat for each set can't work- like hazmat armor  or leather armor. Steel armor is heavy from definition etc.  so I would prefere to add few light armors few heavy and few "special"

So if they design a lumberjack set that is heavy armour and you use the agility build but you want THAT set for the buffs you will be hindered because someone insisted in tagging the sets either "light" or "heavy". They wouldn't even have to change the model. Just calling it "light" or "heavy" and tweaking the stats with the same models would work.

18 minutes ago, Eighmy_Lupin said:

As a female player I'm actually hoping that all clothes look more or less the same no matter which gender is wearing them. I see no reason to oversexualize the female character outfits in a zombie apocalypse. Tank tops showing a little belly or cleavage is one thing, but no need to make female only clothes that exist for the sole purpose of making the female characters look like sex dolls. 

The point is probably moot in any case. TFP are moving away from the current character system entirely, and it will be replaced by bespoke characters and a limited combination of armor/clothing sets. I kind of doubt they will spend the time to make female versions of each, so it will probably end up being the same for all genders.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

So if they design a lumberjack set that is heavy armour and you use the agility build but you want THAT set for the buffs you will be hindered because someone insisted in tagging the sets either "light" or "heavy". They wouldn't even have to change the model. Just calling it "light" or "heavy" and tweaking the stats with the same models would work.

Okay but you have normal , AP and HP  bullets- so you need to know if this guy have light or heavy armors- so for example. You see guy in soldier set? AP ammo. Guy in bandit clothes? HP . Riot armor? AP etc. so it is so important to know which armor someone is wearing

7 hours ago, Eighmy_Lupin said:

As a female player I'm actually hoping that all clothes look more or less the same no matter which gender is wearing them. I see no reason to oversexualize the female character outfits in a zombie apocalypse. Tank tops showing a little belly or cleavage is one thing, but no need to make female only clothes that exist for the sole purpose of making the female characters look like sex dolls. 

Good point. I guess that's what trader Jen is for, to satiate any need for a sexualized character....well & the stripper/nightclub zombie with her "jiggly mechanics" 🤷

11 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Okay but you have normal , AP and HP  bullets- so you need to know if this guy have light or heavy armors- so for example. You see guy in soldier set? AP ammo. Guy in bandit clothes? HP . Riot armor? AP etc. so it is so important to know which armor someone is wearing

It depends: If they really want to introduce light and heavy for each set (ideal) then they could separately model 1 of each and their aspect could be easily identified. But I prefer this, which is much cheaper:

All the armours should need AP to get through because they will give defense values to the bandit/player . HP would be just for naked chest bandits and normal clothing zds. Sure, a farmer outtit has light clothing, but it also visually has reinforcements, AP is always effective in those cases.

11 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Easiest way is to not make 2 models of each and have ALL armours need AP to go through (light sets would be less effective at that). Naked-ish bandits and light-clothed Zds could be HP. Because while outfits like the farmer's are generally light clothing, they do have metal reinforcements, so it is not much of a stretch.

It depends: If they really want to introduce light and heavy for each set (ideal) then they could separately model 1 of each and their aspect could be easily identified. But I prefer this, which is much cheaper:

All the armours should need AP to get through because they will give defense values to the bandit/player . HP would be just for naked chest bandits and normal clothing zds. Sure, a farmer outtit has light clothing, but it also visually has reinforcements, AP is always effective in those cases.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Easiest way is to not make 2 models of each and have ALL armours need AP to go through (light sets would be less effective at that). Naked-ish bandits and light-clothed Zds could be HP. Because while outfits like the farmer's are generally light clothing, they do have metal reinforcements, so it is not much of a stretch.

If you see farmer outfit that you think - this guy doesn't have armor. So maybe the best solution would be melee defense and range defense. Melee defense- well if you are hitted by someone in melee this will reduce dmg- simple. But range defense will be harder to implemented- spear and bow are simple, crossbow ignore armor  and bullets from have some "stages" - 0-20 ignore armor totaly, 21-35 - reduce bullets dmg  by 10 % etc. So in this situation 1 2 3 tiers are weak enough to use better HP ammo, but for defense tier 4 5 6 7 8 better use AP ammo. Light armors have range defense bettwen 1-4 tiers and heavy from 3-8 depending on tier 

8 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

If you see farmer outfit that you think - this guy doesn't have armor. So maybe the best solution would be melee defense and range defense. Melee defense- well if you are hitted by someone in melee this will reduce dmg- simple. But range defense will be harder to implemented- spear and bow are simple, crossbow ignore armor  and bullets from have some "stages" - 0-20 ignore armor totaly, 21-35 - reduce bullets dmg  by 10 % etc. So in this situation 1 2 3 tiers are weak enough to use better HP ammo, but for defense tier 4 5 6 7 8 better use AP ammo. Light armors have range defense bettwen 1-4 tiers and heavy from 3-8 depending on tier 

That looks convoluted. Either they share models for light and heavy or they don't and model two of each .  Why would they fragment defense? Not worth the time at this point in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

That looks convoluted. Either they share models for light and heavy or they don't and model two of each .  Why would they fragment defense? Not worth the time at this point in my opinion.

Well from my point light and heavy variant of this same armor is pointless because - leather armor is light  because leather is light. Steel armor must be heavy etc. But even ideas with "armor" only is quiet bad as hell- because this not suit to zombie post apo- most surviors and bandits would just wearing normal  "civilian " clothes

10 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm curious... do any of TFP's team work on weekends when near release?

It's not unheard of when getting near the delivery of a year-long development cycle. :suspicious:

might say possible... but you would also be making a presumption too. :)

hell some of them work on sat or sun periodically if a notion on a fix hit them and they wanted to get it in. :) so doesnt  have to be because of an expected release. :)

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well from my point light and heavy variant of this same armor is pointless because - leather armor is light  because leather is light. Steel armor must be heavy etc. But even ideas with "armor" only is quiet bad as hell- because this not suit to zombie post apo- most surviors and bandits would just wearing normal  "civilian " clothes

Are we talking about realism again ... in a game where the farmer has a special armor that gives him bonuses on how many potatoes he gets from a plant pot ? 😉

What if the farmer outfit had a kevlar variant and a steel variant ? I don't think there would be different models necessary apart from some shading or coloring

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)