Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

3 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

I honestly hope they will make it a great new game that would start off a new series. When I think of Starfield, I imagine No Man's Sky done right - in Bethesda style we all love, so if it's a successful game, that would probably make up for the Fallout 76 fiasco, at least for hardcore fans, but I'm worried what's behind the attempt to let some other studio do a new Fallout. I know they have done that in the past with New Vegas, but that one turned out well, many people love New Vegas and still play it to this day, but Fallout 76 was a huge disappointment. Could it mean they are trying to kill the Fallout series? Perhaps in favor of something new, like Starfield?

Na, they just bought up a bunch of studios and they needed a project. They saw the success of Rust, us, Arma/DayZ and thought the secret sauce was as simple as multiplayer so they gave these studios something to do. They deviated from Fallout so far it alienated the fans. They will make Fallout 5 internally I think. 76 was no different than ESO, which wasn't made at BGS either, and it took several years of updates to get that to something that did ok, but I hate MMOs so it was a waste of money for me.

2 hours ago, EggsAisle said:

No Man's Sky in 2020 is No Man's Sky done (mostly) right. Still won't be for everybody, though.

I have sort of a love-hate relationship with BGS games. I like the Elder Scrolls games a lot, but I can't stand their Fallout titles. Seems weird, since they have so much in common, but there it is. Loved Morrowind. Liked Oblivion a lot, hated Fallout 3. Loved Skyrim, loved New Vegas (not developed by BGS so it doesn't count.) Hated Fallout 4. Not going anywhere near 76. I guess something about the way they do post-apocalyptic just puts me off. 

I was furious when they made Fallout 3, because I knew it would delay Skyrim. Now they are doing Starfield so it is just going to get worse unless they hire 200 more people and have teams dedicated to each franchise. I ended up enjoying Fallout 3, I'd never played 1 or 2, but it was never that special to me compared to Oblivion and Skyrim.

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

while you guys are all stroking your epeen seeing who has the most hours im gonna go have fun with my real peen, and 10 digits.

Enjoy those milometers :D

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

I was furious when they made Fallout 3, because I knew it would delay Skyrim. Now they are doing Starfield so it is just going to get worse unless they hire 200 more people and have teams dedicated to each franchise. I ended up enjoying Fallout 3, I'd never played 1 or 2, but it was never that special to me compared to Oblivion and Skyrim.

Yeah, Fallout 3 was a very buggy memorable game that's for sure; the hidden lore alone is amazing. But let's be honest, it was a good thing FO3 delayed Skyrim, the engine for 3 was so glitchy and Skyrim came out better for it lol.

If you did not want to combine charismatic nature and barter... another interesting thing for charismatic nature would be to have the last rank increase your melee range by like .5 or 1. 

Have it say something like "your charismatic nature has increased your ability to reach people, even when hitting them with a stick."

I would snag the hell out of that. 

3 minutes ago, pregnable said:

If you did not want to combine charismatic nature and barter... another interesting thing for charismatic nature would be to have the last rank increase your melee range by like .5 or 1. 

Have it say something like "your charismatic nature has increased your ability to reach people, even when hitting them with a stick."

I would snag the hell out of that. 

I’d say that until TFP adds in factions and reputation we should just let CN alone. There are quite a few opportunities for cool perk effects for both SP and MP if charismatic nature hooks into those mechanics. You’ve got to think about what’s coming in addition to what we already have. 

24 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I just started a game of the original Fallout... and it is quite hard.
Strange point-and-click mechanics, but I can already see the familiar Fallout style with the skills.

Loved fallout 1 and 2.  Even enjoyed fallout tactics although it was alot different then its predecessors.

I played Fallout 1 and 2 back in 2007-8ish, around the time FO3 came out actually. They were playable but felt very clunky. I can only imagine what it'd be like now. 

It seems like in retrospect, a lot of people have fond memories of Fallout 3 despite realizing its shortcomings. And hey, that's fine, I feel that way about some games too. But Fallout 3 just never charmed me. Every character and situation felt stupid, contrived, or both. And don't get me wrong, Skyrim isn't bursting at the seams with genius characters and clever writing either, but somehow it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. 

On the subject of 7D, I was exploring a desert town today and came across one of those little house POIs, the kind that were like rickety shacks before the apocalypse. In its back "yard" were three oil shale deposits, no more than a block apart from each other. Man, if the residents had only thought to look out back and dig, they could've been rich! Not that it would have helped, they'd just've been trapped in the bigger, fancier zombie-infested hellhole when the end of the world came...

1 hour ago, pregnable said:

Nah. "Reach out and touch someone" is the Dragunov's motto.

One thing i wouldn't mind seeing is the big log spikes back, but not as a defence, as a building block, making a bowser style looking castle would be kinda cool, all we are lacking are those spikes, all we would have to do is remove the damage zombie stuff from it, lol, i loved how they looked on my base as a cosmetic feature.

This thread is starting to drift apart pretty seriously 😅 I know that "it's done when it's done" but how are things looking regarding making this or the next patch the one that is considered stable ? Anything specific left to fix before that can happen ?

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't change much, but I'm looking forward to discovering the A20 dev diary and I know a lot of modders prefer waiting for the stable release before releasing their mods.

Hi everyone. Can anyone provide the Gamestage formula updated for A19?

People have been asking this on Steam and no one seems to get it right lol

Edit: I know there's apparently some documentation in the XML files but it's far too long to summarize into a formula...

Spoiler

Game stage spawning: All game stage spawning starts with a "Spawner" which is a named object referenced in the code or other data (like POIs). The spawner itself contains all of the gamestage information for that particular spawner. Examples: BloodMoonHorde spawner, or a large POI spawn, or a POI spawn that contains football players. Each spawner defines a set of game stages. An individual game stage defines the actual spawning and spawning progression for that specific stage. The game stage number is an estimate of "difficulty", higher game stages should be harder than lower game stages. <spawner name="BloodMoonHorde"><gamestage stage="1">// Starting spawn stage is in this first entry.// It will spawn up to 300 zombies, but only 8 can be alive at any one time due to performance reasons.// Zombies will be spawned from the ZombiesNight spawn group defined in entitygroups.xml/ (Optional) The duration of this stage is 1 game hour, after that game hour the next spawn will start OR the spawning will complete// if there are no more spawns.// (Optional) Interval is a delay in seconds between the end of a spawn group and the next one// If we have a use for it this could also trigger a stinger sound.<spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="300" maxAlive ="8" duration="1" interval="60"/>// After 300 zombies have been killed this defines a kind of "station keeping" mode// where there will be one zombie sent to harass the players until sunrise.<spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="9999999" maxAlive="1"/>maxAlive is now per player, not per party</gamestage> </spawner> The code will use the highest stage that is less than or equal to your computed stage. There is no cap on gamestage. If you feel like defining a stage="5000" - go nuts. The gamestage is calculated once, when the "event" occurs. When the blood moon rises the game considers nearby players as "a party" and figures out the accumulated gamestage. This gamestage will be in effect for the duration of the event. If players log in later or drop out, such as during the blood moon event, the gamestage will not change. - - - - - - - There is a metric which maps a player or group of players to a game stage number. daysSurvived:This is a running total, kept for every individual player.Every 24 hours GAME time 1 (day) is added.On every death "daysAliveChangeWhenKilled" is subtracted from the total.After this the daysAlive is capped.It is low-capped at 0, high-capped at "your player level".At player level 41 you can have a daysSurvived value anywhere from 0 to 41. gameStage = ( playerLevel + daysSurvived ) * difficultyBonus So if a player was level 10 and survived 4 days playing when the game stage points are calculated the game stage points would be gameStage = (Player Level 10 + Days Survived 4 ) X difficultyBonus 1.2 The total would be 16.8 or 16 game stage points. If the same player was level 10 and had survived 25 days and died 2x:25 days - 2 x 2 (daysAliveChangeWhenKilled) = 21Then daysAlive of 21 gets capped to player level so 10. This is how the gamestage of a PARTY is calculated: The gamestage of all (up to) 6 players is calculated. The players are sorted by gamestage. The highest GS number is multiplied by "startingWeight". This then loops down the list and "startingWeight" is multiplied by "diminishingReturns" every time. Example: Players with GS 120, 30, 60, 91, 5, 80. startingWeight= 1.7, diminishingReturns=0.5 So we get 120 * 1.70 = 20491 * .85 = 7780 * .42 = 3460 * .21 = 1330 * .82 = 245 * .11 = 1 ... or a total party GS of 353 - - - - - - - Which gameStage list of spawn groups is actually picked and "ran" if it calculates a GS of 15? It rounds down. At a GS of 15 the <gamestage stage="14"> is used. At a GS of 14 <gamestage stage="12"> is used. - - - - - - - Console command: gamestageDisplays your current gamestage. Console command: forcegamestageThis will force a gamestage for testing.The calculation will not run at all but you jump directly to the spawn set for this stage

29 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Hi everyone. Can anyone provide the Gamestage formula updated for A19?

People have been asking this on Steam and no one seems to get it right lol

According to the gamestages.xml file it is the old formula "( playerLevel + daysSurvived ) * difficultyBonus" but the difficultyBonus is now a fixed value of 1.2 which means it is the same regardless whether you play on Adventurer or Insane. For each death two days are subtracted from daysSurvived.

34 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

According to the gamestages.xml file it is the old formula "( playerLevel + daysSurvived ) * difficultyBonus" but the difficultyBonus is now a fixed value of 1.2 which means it is the same regardless whether you play on Adventurer or Insane. For each death two days are subtracted from daysSurvived.

Thanks! :-]

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Awwww...poor Subnautica...

19 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

hey don't take about my Baby like that!

Don't worry. Subnautica's fine. In fact, the developers have announced yesterday to port Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero to Nintendo Switch. Many new players on that platform.

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

So ... if they subtract 2 days for every time you die ... if you are really bad at the game or just suicidal game stage could theoretically go negative ...  if your game stage is negative, do the zombies stop attacking and start giving out rainbow flowers?

30 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

So ... if they subtract 2 days for every time you die ... if you are really bad at the game or just suicidal game stage could theoretically go negative ...  if your game stage is negative, do the zombies stop attacking and start giving out rainbow flowers?

I think there's a limit to how many deaths are counted. Worst case is that you always stay on gamestage 1. There is no negative gamestage.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:09 PM, Adam the Waster said:

tbh i see 7DTD more as a PVE game! but that may just be me!

coz u cant aim, brah! 🤣

On 8/17/2020 at 6:11 PM, Roland said:

Well...you AND the devs.

and neither do they 😆

mm quake skillz intensifying!!! RUN!

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived