Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

46 minutes ago, Roland said:

Unless things have changed, days survived is always equal to your level whenever it is less than your level. So if you are level 30 then your days survived value will also be 30 after you respawn. 

Gamestage 110 and I only got a few rad spiders last horde night. Something has definitely been changed with gamestage spawns; by now I'd have a swarm of irradiated zombie types at my doorstep.

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Loved fallout 1 and 2.  Even enjoyed fallout tactics although it was alot different then its predecessors.

I tried playing it but it seemed too far away from the BGS version I like. I can see why some original Fallout fans felt what BGS is wrong, but coming at it as a BGS fan first their version is better for me at least. The original developed all the cool lore and back story though.

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Loved fallout 1 and 2.  Even enjoyed fallout tactics although it was alot different then its predecessors.

During the recent Bethesda sale, I picked up the entire Fallout franchise (except for 76).
I only really know Fallout 4, and partially at that. I'm starting at Fallout 1 and working my way through them. I'm looking forward to Tactics to see what they did there.
I'm not much of a Bethesda fan, nor a Fallout fan, but I do recognize the impact and significance. I guess I'm considering this a game study.

35 minutes ago, madmole said:

I tried playing it but it seemed too far away from the BGS version I like. I can see why some original Fallout fans felt what BGS is wrong, but coming at it as a BGS fan first their version is better for me at least. The original developed all the cool lore and back story though.

Yeah, the lore and backstory was great.  It had alot of "character" that immersed me in the game.  Although serious in tone there were also alot of light hearted moments that made me chuckle. 

It also may have been the first post apocalypse type games I played so it was different then anything I've played story/rpg wise.

Edit: I know 7d2d will probably be more story light compared to other RPGs but I think can still do a fine job. 

Trader Rekt and Jen are great examples of that.  Everyone wants to kick in Trader Rekts teeth for his ungrateful remarks...and for Trader Jen the new dialog responses are nice and light hearted.

8 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Is the menu music copyright? Or is it fair use?

Knowing YouTube, they copyright anything, including their own royalty-free music at times. Bots will be bots. If you plan on uploading a video to YouTube that includes the menu music, you should be fine, but be aware that the YouTube Gods might knock at your door at some point.

Edit: I was referring to a couple tens of seconds of audio. The whole thing? I'm not sure.

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

Knowing YouTube, they copyright anything, including their own royalty-free music at times. Bots will be bots. If you plan on uploading a video to YouTube that includes the menu music, you should be fine, but be aware that the YouTube Gods might knock at your door at some point.

Edit: I was referring to a couple tens of seconds of audio. The whole thing? I'm not sure.

but what if it isn't for the game? Same deal?

Just now, STyK_ said:

TFP isn't going to come after me?

They very well might. What you're asking here is taking something that is trademarked and using it for your own purposes. The last time I checked, under most circumstances that is illegal. You're wasting your time with me though, it's best to check with them directly.

1 hour ago, Alpacko said:

coz u cant aim, brah! 🤣

and neither do they 😆

mm quake skillz intensifying!!! RUN!

me who doesn't play PVP because i don't like to ruin peoples work 
and im to nice to people
image.jpeg.2718fac73b48e53a4d6dfef01f6e7011.jpeg

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

They very well might. What you're asking here is taking something that is trademarked and using it for your own purposes. The last time I checked, under most circumstances that is illegal. You're wasting your time with me though, it's best to check with them directly.

TFP walking to his door like:

Spoiler

Italian chef with shotgun saying "Yo Mama'd your last-a mia ...

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

oh I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about it. Would be used to play over edited content of a game that shall not be named to avoid being temp banned again. That's why I was asking if it was fair use.

32 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

During the recent Bethesda sale, I picked up the entire Fallout franchise (except for 76).
I only really know Fallout 4, and partially at that. I'm starting at Fallout 1 and working my way through them. I'm looking forward to Tactics to see what they did there.
I'm not much of a Bethesda fan, nor a Fallout fan, but I do recognize the impact and significance. I guess I'm considering this a game study.

The originals were all turn based games.  So they played a lot slower and more strategic.  Tactics also was turn based but I think they introduced a new real-time mode which was decent.  I think I kept to the traditional turned based mode though.

When Fallout 3 was first announced I was a bit skeptical how they would transition to a FPS game especially the aiming system.  One of the strategic fun in the originals were that you could aim at certain body parts.  I felt Fallout 3 did a great job with the VATS system to keep some of that same strategic fun alive.  I still remember finding the unique "Lincoln's Repeater" rifle and exploding head's in slow motion from far away.  So satisfying.....

When you are the owner of content, you have the ability to either allow YouTube to automatically disable videos when YouTube detects the use of your content (while giving the channel a strike for unauthorized use), to automatically monetize them so that you get those funds and not the uploader, or to notify you on a per video basis to decide what to do.

A lot of people are afraid of getting strikes using the music from games, and rightfully so. Many times people do get strikes, but it's mainly because the content creators (in this case the game devs) monetize their own videos but failed to set how to handle when other people upload the same content.
I don't think TFP is a YouTube partner. However, if someday down the road they become one and monetize their own videos, and they forget to set how to handle copyright claims, every single person uploading 7D2D content with music will start getting strikes.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to request permission of usage from TFP via email. This way if things change, whether on purpose or on accident, you as a content creator are protected from YouTube's guidelines.

The gaming industry really needs some changes made I think when it comes to things like this. In other words, audio and video should be considered fair use when the content is a presentation of the game play, much like other fair use situations that are currently protected such as for education or parody.

12 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

When you are the owner of content, you have the ability to either allow YouTube to automatically disable videos when YouTube detects the use of your content (while giving the channel a strike for unauthorized use), to automatically monetize them so that you get those funds and not the uploader, or to notify you on a per video basis to decide what to do.

A lot of people are afraid of getting strikes using the music from games, and rightfully so. Many times people do get strikes, but it's mainly because the content creators (in this case the game devs) monetize their own videos but failed to set how to handle when other people upload the same content.
I don't think TFP is a YouTube partner. However, if someday down the road they become one and monetize their own videos, and they forget to set how to handle copyright claims, every single person uploading 7D2D content with music will start getting strikes.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to request permission of usage from TFP via email. This way if things change, whether on purpose or on accident, you as a content creator are protected from YouTube's guidelines.

The gaming industry really needs some changes made I think when it comes to things like this. In other words, audio and video should be considered fair use when the content is a presentation of the game play, much like other fair use situations that are currently protected such as for education or parody.

Nonetheless, it's pretty remarkable that content creators are allowed to record games - intellectual property that they don't own the copyright or trademark laws to - and have monetary gain off of the videos. No other studio or company allows you to do that with their product without explicit permission, such as a sponsorship. Music, food and drink brands, etc. come to mind. Sure, some game studios follow the norm - Nintendo, for example - but it's quite remarkable if you ask me that game streams and let's plays are even a thing in the first place.

8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nonetheless, it's pretty remarkable that content creators are allowed to record games - intellectual property that they don't own the copyright or trademark laws to - and have monetary gain off of the videos. No other studio or company allows you to do that with their product without explicit permission, such as a sponsorship. Music, food and drink brands, etc. come to mind. Sure, some game studios follow the norm - Nintendo, for example - but it's quite remarkable if you ask me that game streams and let's plays are even a thing in the first place.

Yes it is, but at the same time it's probably the smarter thing to do. There's no better advertising than free.

2 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Yes it is, but at the same time it's probably the smarter thing to do. There's no better advertising than free.

Nonetheless, it's something to keep in mind - corporate could pull the plug anytime they want. Nothing to get paranoid about, just a fun fact at the very least.

Archived