Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It would be nice to have a version of the farm plot that was shaped like a plate as well.

That way, we wont get that gap between it and the terrain.

In order to have an empty voxel above the plate (for the plant) you would have to place the plate upside down.

How is that going to cover up the gap?

In order to have an empty voxel above the plate (for the plant) you would have to place the plate upside down.

A better option (for the player) would be to surround the farm with wood frames and paint them to look like gravel. Personally, I think it's a non-issue. A nitpicky thing.

I heard fertilizer is being reintroduced in A18. I'm curious, does it function the same was as it did in A16 and prior (replacing the Living off the Land perk?), or does it speed up the growth rate of crops, or...?

This one might be my fault from when I listed reasons I like the farm boxes. I was referring to rotten meat and nitrate being included in the recipe.

Do you plan to make blocks of land flow around building and farm blocks? The gap between the farm blocks and the land looks terrible, as always =)

I also noticed in the video unholyjoe that frames now hang in the air and do not level the surface of the earth.

I don't use mods on Bethesda games until playing through once or twice on vanilla, then I'm super picky and careful about what mods I add, and only add one at a time so I can screen for bugs. I want to know their vanilla design 200% before changing anything. Usually its mods to make the game harder or QOL mods.

I always hated vanilla Skyrim to be honest..and yes, I've played it...never could play it without mods. Looks horrible, feels horrible, things like graphic mods, more weapons, more races, more vanilla weapon damage are always welcome to make the game feel a bit better, not to mention the horrible weak magic that is in the game, I've always hated it...and I'm a big Skyrim player, played it for years upon years upon years.

I got 217 mods at the moment.

I really like the box plant, I freaking hate tilting the land, always have to place a wood frame to make it neat, and sometimes I miss a spot or two. Although IMO the 15 nitrate is steep price per box.

Why not just leave the hoe for the whiners? 2 method, if you found the hoe as a loot, you can do the old method.

Why not just leave the hoe for the whiners? 2 method, if you found the hoe as a loot, you can do the old method.

Supporting 2 systems is not smart. Sure, TFP could have left the crafting grid in "for the whiners" but every such system - that does nothing unique - is a constant drain to keep all the extra recipes / assets / items / loot tables / textures / UI working and it inflates the documentation (like the journal) to the point where even fewer players would dare to read it.

Conventional Ralston!!

Conventional Ralston!!

So... Not Airships?

I thought my logic was flawless. I made perfectly factual deductions and came to, what my cat believes: a reasonable conclusion.

Edit: So spelling it backwards: Notslar lanoitnevnoc is from the lost city of Atlantis which means...

Yes! "Airships" again! :)

Has the paper mill POI been adjusted in A18? Currently, you can get thousands upon thousands of paper from that place. (Aka many, many stacks.)

And what of the Clunky Oil POI? I think there's 25 barrels in there in A17... Has that POI been nerfed? Just wondering.

(I'm asking because, imo, both of these POI's are... quite unbalanced, to say the least.)

To be honest, the decrease in zombie count is much more detrimental to the game than changing the gardening system. Which also sounds.. Not so good, to be honest, but not so bad as the decrease in zombies.

Agree, zombies should be out looking for brains, not sleeping.

To be fair, I still don't like that I have to dig a hole to place a farm plot that is even with the terrain. =P

The new plots have other advantages such as not fighting the voxel terrain so it's a toss-up.

The "removal of complexity" is largely made up. A complicated system is not automatically a better system. There was never a choice between using a hoe or using the other way because there was no other way.

Makes sense but why not have the two options ingame then?

EDIT, I see you comment on this. still feel disapointed though.

And second question, does this new farming method improve FPS a lot (compared to the other method)?

Guest Rassilon
Loads but I'm trying to get the guys to make them all dead crops for this very reason.

Lol. See if you brought that argument at the start of the "Gate" it would have calmed a lot of persons who threw the Tantrums :)

Im chilled about this all.

Lets play A18 when its out. Give constructive Feedback when we expierienced the new stuff.

Guest Rassilon
@madmole

Hey remember the last time the community was complaining big and you were defending the game? yeah, that was when A17 happened... "a17 skil system is the best ever and you are going to love it" yeah, right...

Do you know the real reason people are complaining about farming? because you are changing the soul of this game. It used to be a complex survival game and now its turning into a dumb shooter. You keep simplifying, and cutting things. Will this increase the player base? maybe, but be careful not to be too similar to the other 1000 zombie games..

Reducing zombie spawns in the wild is very bad. The day that sleepers were added was the worst day ever for the development of this game. Damn, those mf sleepers! You removed cities spawns and you are constantly decreasing zombies outside. Nobody wants that. NOBODY. You should increase zombies outside. Yeah, keep writing excuses like "it is a bad design", "you get sandwiched", "you dont see em anyway", "sleepers are more fun".. this is all bs that you tell yourself. The real reason, the only reason, is performance gains.. I don't know, we were told that a18 had much higher fps than a17, but apparently not, great..

Sorry to be that guy. but I really like the sleepers and dont need strays at all in the wild.

As it has been said: They add nothing. Just a inconvinience.

I do would prefer bigger/more frequent wandering Hordes, scaled in Size and strength to Gamestage.

But Sleepers? Now looting POIs is a real challenge.

Sorry to be that guy. but I really like the sleepers and dont need strays at all in the wild.

As it has been said: They add nothing. Just a inconvinience.

I do would prefer bigger/more frequent wandering Hordes, scaled in Size and strength to Gamestage.

But Sleepers? Now looting POIs is a real challenge.

I don't like to know where danger lurks exactly. I like to have to always look at my back. You favor less suspense, I like more as in an zombie apocalypse should be IMO.

Archived