Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I sort of have a moral code not to play mods. I'm not saying the modders are selfish, but can't they just appreciate the base game for what it is? Just saying. *Shrugs*

I'm a fan of mods, after a game goes gold and you grow tired of the base game, or a mod allows some mechanic the devs didn't include, new armors and weapons are always welcome if balanced, etc.

@madmole Currently in A17, you can harvest regular vultures for feathers and rotten flesh. However, when it comes to the irradiated puking vultures, they give you nothing when you attempt to harvest them. Is this intended or a glitch or...?

Yeah sounds like a bug.

<--- always impressed by madmoles ability to keep cool with trolls. I would be much more scorched earth....

Thanks. We're supposedly 96% animal instincts and the elite are the ones who try hard to use the 4% human part, reasoning, compassion, wanting to be better, etc. Some people are genuinely in love with overly complicated mechanics. Thankfully there is nothing else on the radar to change that wouldn't be a unanimous improvement.

Moral code? You must need a pretty big ladder to get on that horse.

I don't use mods on Bethesda games until playing through once or twice on vanilla, then I'm super picky and careful about what mods I add, and only add one at a time so I can screen for bugs. I want to know their vanilla design 200% before changing anything. Usually its mods to make the game harder or QOL mods.

YOu know I'm on day 1, in the snow biome at night in a hole in the ground digging buried treasure. For some reason when I clicked your link I was worried about it being a video making noise that the zombies might hear. I always thought it would be cool if voice to chat or discord noise was picked up on and the zombies could hear it, that it would be cool AF to watch streamers whisper and stuff.

You craft "farm plots" and place them where you want crops to grow. No more hoe, no more fertilizer. No more wondering where your crop grows or where to hit it to harvest, its way better, the testers are raving about it. Some people are actually farming now that never farmed before because it was too clunky.

That feels like advertising a dumb down.

It's like saying we have a aimbot laser gun now. No more bullets, no more gun parts. No more wondering where your shot hits. It's way better and some people use firearms who only meleed before."

Really like a lot about A18, but dumbing down farming is a step on a road to a dumber FPS. Why shall I make it so that every rambo type of player goes farming? Why not leave some challenge and keep it to those who want to invest the effort.

Sometimes I am a bit afraid the game takes a "pimp the guns and dumb the rest" route. Hoping I am wrong

Just a small request here... Currently when you want to repair bullet proof glass, you have to use bullet proof glass to repair it. (So you could use multiple blood proof glass panes to repair one bullet proof panes.) Perhaps instead of the actual block being the item to repair them, perhaps simply broken glass (an exorbitant amount of it, of course) could be used to repair bullet proof glass instead?

Yikes, repair is kind of a ♥♥♥♥ show atm, we'll be streamlining it some.

Yikes, repair is kind of a ♥♥♥♥ show atm, we'll be streamlining it some.

Yeah, I get that. But if this could be looked into sometime (unless you can't due to balance reasons), that would be excellent. Using 9 bullet proof glass panes, for instance, to repair one damaged (placed) bullet proof glass pane... It's very unusual and expensive to say the least. Lol

ok peeps.. i decided to go ahead and jump back a build or so and show you a tad bit about the farm plot..

i hope it shows you what you are asking about, i thought i covered what was needed... one thing i forgot to show you was.. you can paint the plots too.. i did do a screen shot. enjoy :)

the plot is a 1 m block.

video:

painting:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29094[/ATTACH]

video is public now!

Wow, those plots are much better. I usually put a few crops on my roof and this blends in much better. The hoe was such a waste. I broke it down after I got what I needed. Plus now I can start planting those seeds as soon as I find them as the ingredients aren't too difficult to find.

That feels like advertising a dumb down.

It's like saying we have a aimbot laser gun now. No more bullets, no more gun parts. No more wondering where your shot hits. It's way better and some people use firearms who only meleed before."

Really like a lot about A18, but dumbing down farming is a step on a road to a dumber FPS. Why shall I make it so that every rambo type of player goes farming? Why not leave some challenge and keep it to those who want to invest the effort.

Sometimes I am a bit afraid the game takes a "pimp the guns and dumb the rest" route. Hoping I am wrong

I added Joe’s video link to Madmole’s initial posts on this subject so we can hopefully avoid catchup reactions from people who feel they must reply before reading the whole thread and eventually getting to Joe’s video. I think the video demonstrates that the new system is worthy and if people can watch it at the moment that Madmole originally stated “the hoe is gone” it will spare us a whole lotta angst over the next few days.

Farming is different but the video shows there’s nothing dumbed down about that process compared to the old one. They are equally complex in their own way.

That ♥♥♥♥ was lame, now its fun, simple and easy to learn and use. Some people are just married to clunkly old crap and like crawling over broken glass I guess.

I will wait to see it implemented since I also don't have enough time to read all the posts - but you give me the impression that you think streamlining everything to oblivion is the secret sauce of game design, not to mention that you constantly voice your concern about whether the lowest common denominator of a player, with a perceived IQ of 50, can learn a mechanic. If that becomes the case, sit down for a moment and think - how will that influence the rest of the players? I don't claim to know what's right, just hope you are able to recognize which kinds of complexity are actually valuable for gameplay.

I didn’t bother farming at all in A17. I always had loads of bacon and eggs and meat in general. I thought about it for coffee and aloe, but still didn’t bother. I did farm a lot in A16 though, which also needed fertilizer. It wasn’t that fun.

For me, the new crop box system is better. It’s simple, but it better matches the gain which I find to be optional in terms of how much it actually contributes to survival success.

A couple things that would bring some spark back into farming for me are making beer good again and being able to grow snow berries. Or perhaps that was added and I missed it... but sometimes I find that RWG gives me very little in the wild. I think about those nice recipes that use them but are rarely feasible to take advantage of.

I will wait to see it implemented since I also don't have enough time to read all the posts - but you give me the impression that you think streamlining everything to oblivion is the secret sauce game design, not to mention that you constantly voice your concern about whether the lowest common denominator of a player, with a perceived IQ of 50, can learn a mechanic. If that becomes the case, sit down for a moment and think - how will that influence the rest of the players? I don't claim to know what's right, just hope you are able to recognize which kinds of complexity are actually valuable for gameplay.

I've stated that farming is a low reward activity multiple times now, and I've mentioned more advanced recipes are now more complex several times. The new farming is arguably no less complicated before, but definitely more accessible and less clunky. Why complicate things? Why need a forge to get started farming? ITs not like farming is some OP ability, it makes food very slowly. We'll make the game more challenging in good ways, where the reward is worth it all the effort.

I didn’t bother farming at all in A17. I always had loads of bacon and eggs and meat in general. I thought about it for coffee and aloe, but still didn’t bother. I did farm a lot in A16 though, which also needed fertilizer. It wasn’t that fun.

For me, the new crop box system is better. It’s simple, but it better matches the gain which I find to be optional in terms of how much it actually contributes to survival success.

A couple things that would bring some spark back into farming for me are making beer good again and being able to grow snow berries. Or perhaps that was added and I missed it... but sometimes I find that RWG gives me very little in the wild. I think about those nice recipes that use them but are rarely feasible to take advantage of.

I think you can craft beer but I haven't tried.

I think you can craft beer but I haven't tried.

I’m pretty sure you can. What I meant is that it isn’t as good to use as it once was. Gaining access to hops and growing them for beer was an ultimate goal at one time. Coffee is pretty good, and IMO better to use than beer is now, but not like how beer used to be.

... and makes for amazing decorations in your house.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB0KWe_U8AEgJi7?format=jpg&name=large

I aggree. Can plant boxes be placed horizontally or even upside down ? It is absolutely necessary for my new architectural style combining Gaudi's naturalism with M.C.Escher's topology.

I love it when people out themselves for breaking ToS...

I love it when people start a dialog with themselves via alternate account :smile-new:

I've stated that farming is a low reward activity multiple times now, and I've mentioned more advanced recipes are now more complex several times. The new farming is arguably no less complicated before, but definitely more accessible and less clunky. Why complicate things? Why need a forge to get started farming? ITs not like farming is some OP ability, it makes food very slowly. We'll make the game more challenging in good ways, where the reward is worth it all the effort.

People are still catching up and reacting. If the video being referenced in your first comment doesn't help then I'll try something a bit more drastic as I don't want these kneejerk posts disrupting the thread through the weekend...

How do I get a hoe?

This right here. Seriously. People on our server, on multiple maps, have gone 10 to 20 hours without finding one. That's a pretty big deal when food is so important and can be a factor in a death loop, which leads to players disinfecting in the game. The new system is a good idea.

For those who want their own version of realism, well thank TFP the game is modable. They could be like many, many other contemporary developers and not allow for mods.

Edit: I should've kept reading, lol. Consider this an echo of similar posts.

Yeah we're already planning more. RIght now its get out what we have.

A18 will go down as the: "Get off your lazy ass!" build. :)

NOW, I believe, you have to explore the world... hard. Because GameStage will eat you if you piss around too much.

I love and hate the demo zombie, which means WELL DONE TFP!

No more working during hoard night for me, I have to engage at least THAT GUY! So now I will look and listen for him and unleash as much hell on him as I can!

GOD, how I want to play A18 now. :D

Archived