madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Current (A18) farming mechanics: Simple, user-friendly, and neat

Overly complicated and clunky: previous system

Fluff: Your crops can only grow in the daytime in the forest biome. You have to build a greenhouse around your crops to speed up their growth. You have to water your crops with a watering can every 2 days (crops take 14+ days to grow), or you have to build water trenches around the crops, but at each growth stage, the crops soak up all the water. Pests infest your crops, so you need to invest in bug lights and zappers, and rats! Those pesky rats! You must fend them off. Oh, and you cannot trample your crops. In addition, crops may catch disease, meaning your entire crop can die in one in-game day. Your crops will over-ripen and die if you leave them unattended beyond maturity.

I don't like fluff. :p

actually, I dont see why you cant keep the hoe, then when you hoe the ground, it takes wood from your inventory to create the farmed box. Keeps the mechanic, keeps the need to find a hoe thereby keeping the farming item gated, and still raises terrain and evens it out.

I know you want to simplify the game to stream line, but please... in the process of streamlining it, dont make it so idiot proof that my brain dies?

Again simple rewards should require simple effort. How is the old way worth one piece of corn every 3 days and justify all that work?

A tool you use once and throw away is not worth it. Why make farmers need a forge to farm? That is double gating.

Usability was an issue, once you see how nice planting and harvesting is in the new box you'll forget all about the old way.

Its more complex in some regards, good luck getting rotten flesh and nitrate right away.

it doesn't use wood at all.

The box can be painted.

Farming is an opt in choice and not required.

It's barely simplified but if it makes you feel better we've complicated a lot of recipes that are more advanced to a large degree, so early game simple stuff is simple, later game recipes are much more complex but more rewarding.

nests yield cloth sometimes if you destroy them after looting. With the lower feather counts I am now in the habit of chopping up every nest I loot since that is a couple more feathers and pretty soon I can craft bandages even in the desert.

Cloth is harvested from nests? Sounds like a bug.

ok peeps.. i decided to go ahead and jump back a build or so and show you a tad bit about the farm plot..

i hope it shows you what you are asking about, i thought i covered what was needed... one thing i forgot to show you was.. you can paint the plots too.. i did do a screen shot. enjoy :)

the plot is a 1 m block.

video:

painting:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29094[/ATTACH]

video is public now!

Very nice video! Thank you.

At this point, I don't have an opinion on the farming changes. I'll have to see how it actually plays to get a better idea of the trade off involved.

If you don't need to do something to the world terrain to prep it, I think that's a detriment - because now you can make a bunch of food plots in your inventory while on the run. With A17 and earlier you had to physically stand where you wanted the farm plot and spend a small amount of time watching an animation of the ground being worked.

Being forced to "build" a farm plot like you would a wall, gate, or bar, is a meaningful choice IMO. You have to spend time, standing still, which opens you to attack and restricts you from doing anything else (except inventory crafting.) There's more to the equation than "we took out the hoe, and replaced it with nitrate."

Again, I'll have to see it in action before making a decision.

-A

Placing farm blocks vs hoeing the dirt, is still a click. Arguably you need to prepare a space for your new boxes so its more work in some ways. I can have nice planters at my base now, I really see now drawbacks. The old system was too much effort for the reward.

Again simple rewards should require simple effort. How is the old way worth one piece of corn every 3 days and justify all that work?

A tool you use once and throw away is not worth it. Why make farmers need a forge to farm? That is double gating.

Usability was an issue, once you see how nice planting and harvesting is in the new box you'll forget all about the old way.

Its more complex in some regards, good luck getting rotten flesh and nitrate right away.

it doesn't use wood at all.

The box can be painted.

Farming is an opt in choice and not required.

It's barely simplified but if it makes you feel better we've complicated a lot of recipes that are more advanced to a large degree, so early game simple stuff is simple, later game recipes are much more complex but more rewarding.

was merely a thought, can't say better or worse until "I" play. after all it is an opinion. the video helped, still think dirt or clay should be in the recipe tho

devils advocate, in 18, we press e to harvest, in 17, we punch, but arent you the one who broke it in a17 because in a16 it was e to collect?

No you still punch. Press e to take is a wish list item, but press e to take doesnt' give harvest bonus so it has to be hit for now.

ok peeps.. i decided to go ahead and jump back a build or so and show you a tad bit about the farm plot..

i hope it shows you what you are asking about, i thought i covered what was needed... one thing i forgot to show you was.. you can paint the plots too.. i did do a screen shot. enjoy :)

the plot is a 1 m block.

video:

painting:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29094[/ATTACH]

video is public now!

Well, thank you very much for that nice video. You gave a thorough pass at it and seemed to try everything to calm the masses. It would be nice to have clay back to that recipe, but I understand why you guys wouldn't want to make it too complex, I mean, it already has nitrate and rotting flesh.

I would like to know what the Mole has to say about the clay though.

I dont think anyone has ever done this. I hope you didnt. Thats worse than tossing your bow on horde night.

yes, Jax, it has happened to me a number of times before I started laying down scaffolding between rows. Where your crosshairs showed the cursor to be isn't always where the damn game had it selected.

I have been saying the same thing about the dogs for a long time. They need to make some damn noise before they aggro you. Also, coyotes tend to run away from people not attack them.

They have a high chance of running once you hurt them a bit. If they just ran it would be a deer. I like how they are, they cause problems then run away with the meals on wheels you thought you were going to get.

The fact that you don't see this as a big deal should show you how out of touch with your player base you really are

The fact that you think you represent the entire player base shows how arrogant and out of touch you are.

I have farmed in every alpha I have played in (I started in A6, don't remember when farming was put in) and I personally am looking forward to trying the new system because I thought the previous one was a wonky pain in the ass.

Well, personally, I love the idea of planter boxes. They look so clean and semi-modern. While it's sad to see the old traditional way of farming and the garden hoe going away, we will all move on. It's like the Doctor in Doctor Who - a new Doctor comes along, everyone despises them, and then they slowly become attached to them until they are replaced by someone else. It's a never-ending cycle. Regarding this change to farming, expect some backlash, but at the end of the day, I suspect that 95% of people will prefer this way of farming to the old one. And press "e" to pick up crops again, I hear? YES PLEASE!

Admittedly, I was initially confused over the removal of cans of water. I felt like it was removing an immersive part of the game, until I realized... I have never actually used a can of water. Ever. And I can't name anyone who has. So its removal is no biggie. :p

I have always used cans of water. Even when I had a pot and could boil jars of water. Even when I had dozens and dozens of jars of water. Why? Just for thirst. I used the bottles of water for teas and recipes that called for them. Only use for cans of water were for plain thirst. Now you can name someone who has used cans of water. :)

Give the man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life.

By giving them a shirt to scrap, it teaches them the scrapping mechanic and shows them how to craft bandages.

lol, make it unwearable. because it had better temp resistances than the plant fiber shirt.

didnt you mention something about making cloth from plant fiber?

LOL - Busty Heart! I used to go to her strip club in PA all the time when I was 19-21. She would put those on your shoulders at the end of the night if you stayed for a picture. Fun memories.

Anyways, came to say Love the game and the updates; cant wait for A18, the videos look great!

What part of PA? I'm from PA also.

looks nice, but to have it at ground level, we need a 1 m deep hole to place it?

please re add soil back into the recipe. doesnt work right in my head, and possibly in the minds of others as well. in this case, a little realism doesnt hurt. I mean you are digging th holes to plant them in the ground anyways.

I swore it had clay but now I see wood. I can add clay to it as well.

Or you could add forest ground into the recipe instead of clay soil? Yeah, it sounds like a bit more fluff (and it is), but it could teach new players that, hey, you can craft your own forest ground to patch up unwanted holes. Just a thought.

Sorry if I missed something but I don't really understand the problem with new players that should be protected by reducing the number of zombies or by making the animals almost harmless or whatever.

If he doesn't like to be challenged, a new player should play in minimum difficulty, that's all. Why not change the default settings to prevent newbies from being raped on the first day?

- Difficulty "scavenger"

- 4 zombies max for the hordes of the 7th day.

- Enjoy.

If a player does not cope with these settings, it's time to turn to Tetris.

We fixed alert sounds so they howl, changed how far they hear so they aren't investigating combat from half a mile away, then attacking your back, then we increased wolves chance to flee when injured but its still not very common a lot might fight to death. So hopefully no more cheap ninja wolves.

Well... clay is the most abundant resource in the map. It wouldn't hurt nor add difficulty to the recipe.

Edit: Recipe changed. Now it has Clay. We are blessed with nice customer support.

Archived