Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@MadMole I am glad that the water will be worked on, it really needs to.. any ideas yet on how the water phisics will work yet?

I'm pushing for no water physics and just a water plane. Imagine you dig into the lake border, the water will just expand to the next voxel with a spline like shape. This would be extremely fast. I need to talk to the engineers though to see how good this would be. SOmething like minecraft would be a fallback plan but that brings in a lot of ugly to solve.

Joel, will books be numbered? I mean the ability to read books in a certain order. For example, if I found books with numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, then I can read only book with number 1 and cannot read other books until I find book with number 2. Something like volumes. If you do not know what happened in the past volume, you will not be able to understand what the next volume is talking about.

Im thinking that would be overcomplicating it. Probably more like each time you read a volume it will tick a list of required books. When all ticks are accomplished/read it would unlock the ability to read the last book.

It would kind of suck to get volume 7 day one and have to wait days or weeks to read it.

Joel, will books be numbered? I mean the ability to read books in a certain order. For example, if I found books with numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, then I can read only book with number 1 and cannot read other books until I find book with number 2. Something like volumes. If you do not know what happened in the past volume, you will not be able to understand what the next volume is talking about.

They do have volumes, but there is no restriction in what order you read them. Contextually it makes sense because most are stand alone topics that don't build on a previous volume at all.

Im thinking that would be overcomplicating it. Probably more like each time you read a volume it will tick a list of required books. When all ticks are accomplished/read it would unlock the ability to read the last book.

It would kind of suck to get volume 7 day one and have to wait days or weeks to read it.

There is no "last book", its just a perk that is granted after reading all the volumes, like you pieced it together in your own mind after reading all of the others.

Are they gonna work like weapon mods so we can see the modifications? That way we can armor plate the vehicles, add spikes, etc? (for modding, maybe not for vanilla)

Not currently. It would need some extra work to add/remove parts from the vehicles. Depends on priorities.

I'm pushing for no water physics and just a water plane. Imagine you dig into the lake border, the water will just expand to the next voxel with a spline like shape. This would be extremely fast. I need to talk to the engineers though to see how good this would be. SOmething like minecraft would be a fallback plan but that brings in a lot of ugly to solve.

I wonder what would happen if breaking blocks to the side of a body of water leads to a lower altitude area of the map? Would it be flooded instantly?

Yes we need to fix the water. We have the talent now, its just a matter of priorities. Occlusion bugs and performance first, then water, uvs, linear space lighting, hdrp, shadergraph etc.

Not to mention the night vision goggles :smile-new:

- - - Updated - - -

And partly replenish reservoirs like a pool after rain ;-)

I would actually expect you to get fewer resources one-shotting blocks, because you're being less careful digging out those resources.

After all, there's a reason archaeologists use delicate instruments rather than sledgehammers.

That also gives an interesting in-game choice between maximising speed or maximising resource gains when destroying blocks.

Pretty sure they use little hammers so they dont wreck what they are trying to get OUT of the rock. When you go to a mine, you dont see a bunch of giant machines with tiny hammers on them..

Sounds a good plan, so glad water will be sorted.

I am sure I talk for most that even minecraft like water physics would be highly tolerated in this game after what we been putting up with up to now, it actually be really good to be honest.

Sounds a good plan, so glad water will be sorted.

I am sure I talk for most that even minecraft like water physics would be highly tolerated in this game after what we been putting up with up to now, it actually be really good to be honest.

Agree w ^ for sure. Almost certainly to much to hope for in 7dtd, episode 1, but imagine a defense w water flowing downhill from your base, replenished by a pump system; slow down sprinters. Flooding mines.

But I expect that part of the 'ugly' MM is refering to is just that kind of stuff. If flowing water is added, then, even if TFP don't add pumps, some modder will. Or player made dams that produce electricity. Should a Wood Plate hold back water? 10 high? Would seem like most everything would have to be touched.

A good approach to water might be to go with a plane method if the water is large enough, otherwise the current method or minecraft method. This would kill the infinite water supply unless someone built an actual pond... which in this case if someone did that, then they deserve infinite water anyway and we can assume that the water level stays high due to ground water or rainfall.

I wonder what would happen if breaking blocks to the side of a body of water leads to a lower altitude area of the map? Would it be flooded instantly?

Hard to say, there are a lot of edge cases with water, we'll have to talk to the engineers to see what can be done.

Hello everyone!

Back after a long break from the forums. Nice to be back. I spent the last few days reading this thread from page 1 !

The thoughts I have for A18 are:

Possible Bug:

- Currently when a 4x4 runs into a chain link fence it takes massive damage. I mean breaking 1 section of fence will cause 30% damage to the jeep or more. Is this intended?

Possible Balance:

- On my last play through the drop rate of steel arrows was so high that I never had to make arrows and always was getting more steel arrows. Admittedly this was days 1 - 18 or so, but I have 1000s of feathers and never needed them.

- My last RWG I started, on the night of day 1 there were 2 ferrals showed up. That seems quite extreme for night 1.

Not much for now, but I will think of more. Great conversations here and look forward to seeing more!

A good approach to water might be to go with a plane method if the water is large enough, otherwise the current method or minecraft method. This would kill the infinite water supply unless someone built an actual pond... which in this case if someone did that, then they deserve infinite water anyway and we can assume that the water level stays high due to ground water or rainfall.

Unity water plane, land claimed, done. Would run 1000% faster than what we have now, no bugs, fog problems etc. I think most players would rather have good performance than some fancy buggy slow water (like we have now).

Its a time management game, not a digging simulation. Staring at boulders is boring, I want to get the resources so I can "go do fun stuff".

Oh no! You just alienated all the Boulder Watchers!

DaVega even does it for a living...somehow.

I will be honest - I LOVE the digging/mining in 7 Days. I can't explain it. It's therapeutic and no game gets close to it. Digging down, building out a lmine, building in supports, ramps, finding resources. I can do it for hrs (and often do) while feverishly looking around thinking "did I hear something?!"

That said, I do like to get out and clear a POI, I love hordes, and the zombie survival/building is second to none. We're about to make 7 Days my longest played game on my play list, so I guess that's something, right?

*goes off to stare at a boulder*

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I've been meaning to say this: But - guys ... TFP ... the new POIs are a JOY. Everything about them is beautiful and I applaud you, truly. Their design, layout, attention to detail in the builds. Whoever did them, I want to buy him a few beers. An EXCEPTIONAL job and I never tire of investigating them.

I will be honest - I LOVE the digging/mining in 7 Days. I can't explain it. It's therapeutic and no game gets close to it. Digging down, building out a lmine, building in supports, ramps, finding resources. I can do it for hrs (and often do) while feverishly looking around thinking "did I hear something?!"

That said, I do like to get out and clear a POI, I love hordes, and the zombie survival/building is second to none. We're about to make 7 Days my longest played game on my play list, so I guess that's something, right?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I've been meaning to say this: But - guys ... TFP ... the new POIs are a JOY. Everything about them is beautiful and I applaud you, truly. Their design, layout, attention to detail in the builds. Whoever did them, I want to buy him a few beers. An EXCEPTIONAL job and I never tire of investigating them.

A friend I play with who is usually the gatherer also absolutely loves mining. He could play the game only mining and he'd have a blast.

tenor.gif

- - - Updated - - -

I like to mine too, but my comment was to someone who didn't want us to add a one shot perk. I found out there is a bug where you get more resources if you don't one shot a boulder. Anyhow once thats fixed I don't think anyone will complain that they got all the iron out of an ore boulder a bit faster once in a while.

Thanks I'll post your comment.

@MM....more on your books.....will there be a way to monitor which books you've read and/or can you read the same book twice or could we have it so if you've read a certain book that you cannot read it again? I'd love one and done then sell the extras or turn into paper. With the huge number of books, it would be hard to keep track of which ones you've read too.

I absolutely love the hand-crafted POI dungeons as well, but I am wondering if there is any consideration for randomly generated POIs (simple houses, stores) that aren't complex (Tier 1), but will offer a ton of visual and exploration variety. It would also dramatically reduce duplication and improve immersion. I wish zombies had a similar treatment, with dynamic clothing, heads and builds, or at least multiple skins per zombie type. I also wish climbing zombies were a thing again -- crawlers should be missing a leg or two but gain the ability to climb like spider zombies used to. It's okay if you can't, but hey, a survivor can dream, right? Keep up the great work! Can't wait for A18!

Archived