Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Can i have a little request for future implimention.

To. TFP

Can you add more roaming zombie walkers or runners in town and cities so that the doesnt feel empty?

I mean the POIs are filled with many zombies can you put some of them on the streets? So entering the cities and town are more alive i mean undead.

Thank you.

Keep up the good work and have a nice day!

If we can get our performance up we can consider that.

Well that sounds like a lame bug to me. You should get the same resources if you one shot the block vs hitting it 1000 times with your fists. So if we fix that bug, will the crying cease of the one shot perk? Everyone cried when we took out one shotting (I always liked it) so my thought here was to bring it back in some sense but not have it be too OP in every case.

For me (wiping away tears), absolutely. :biggrin1:

And ya know, a rare 15 minute magazine, "Hulk SMASH!" that provided one-shotting Stone, Sand & Ores with any pickaxe would be a hell of a find! :faint2:

Well that sounds like a lame bug to me. You should get the same resources if you one shot the block vs hitting it 1000 times with your fists. So if we fix that bug, will the crying cease of the one shot perk? Everyone cried when we took out one shotting (I always liked it) so my thought here was to bring it back in some sense but not have it be too OP in every case.

I would actually expect you to get fewer resources one-shotting blocks, because you're being less careful digging out those resources.

After all, there's a reason archaeologists use delicate instruments rather than sledgehammers.

That also gives an interesting in-game choice between maximising speed or maximising resource gains when destroying blocks.

If we can get our performance up we can consider that.

You can probably work around any performance hit by taking a dynamic approach. Like a small horde that respawns fast near the player, or an automatic heat increase while player is in the city. Same for roaming hordes.

The only true problem is xp balance, on which I completely agree with another post (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?112454-Things-TFP-removed-and-you-wish-they-hadn-t/page6):

Thanks for the explanation, although tbh it has me scratching my head in a "TFP fixed this by doing what now ...?" kinda way.

If players want XP we run over to a POI, knock on the wall and start wailing on everything that stirs. XP can be easy to get from mauling zombies, and zombies can be found. Heck, honestly, look at the screamer farm tricks going around.

Removing from of the core beautiful features of a zombie apocalypse - i.e.: the hordes - to address a gameplay feature ... in a zombie game - that of XP ... as a fix ... is ... strange at best.

Hordes need to come back, period. Address the XP in other ways. We can get screamer hordes, we can get xp farms ... so address the XP by reducing volume of XP, or XP diminishes by kills in quick succession, or XP is awarded for "horde" vs. "zombie" etc etc etc

I think we could spawn some with missing limbs at random then we'd see more of that.

That would actually be cool! Ill bet one of th modders can pull that off in a [limb] Snap!

Paging Mr. Guppy, Paging Mr. Guppy... dismemberment on aisle 12!

MM, i have a question about the new books/magazines design.

Anyone can read the books and learn the abilities? o will they have skill requierements?

Example: A book that allows you to craft refined fuel (better performance per gallon or something) requires having Yeah science skill lvl 5

If you don't have that ability you better trade it to someone who can use it, sell it or scrap.

Thoughts?

Anyone can read the books and learn the abilities? o will they have skill requierements?

Example: A book that allows you to craft refined fuel (better performance per gallon or something) requires having Yeah science skill lvl 5

If you don't have that ability you better trade it to someone who can use it, sell it or scrap.

Thoughts?

Yeh, bite your tongue!

We don't need additional level gating. Thank goodness the level gates we have will be going away.

Books should be readable by anyone at any level and with any set (or lack) of skills.

I would actually expect you to get fewer resources one-shotting blocks, because you're being less careful digging out those resources.

After all, there's a reason archaeologists use delicate instruments rather than sledgehammers.

That also gives an interesting in-game choice between maximising speed or maximising resource gains when destroying blocks.

Its a time management game, not a digging simulation. Staring at boulders is boring, I want to get the resources so I can "go do fun stuff".

Thoughts?

There are zero requirements. Every time I started thinking "you know this is pretty cool perk, it should have some requirements" I came back to the realization that it takes away from the design which was to give players something useful but not OP to collect from book stores with a cool bonus after collecting them all.

Yeh, bite your tongue!

We don't need additional level gating. Thank goodness the level gates we have will be going away.

Books should be readable by anyone at any level and with any set (or lack) of skills.

Yeah I think item gating is better. If its too game breaking that someone might acquire some perk early game then we can make it more challenging to acquire some part you need to craft x. So you can craft a gyro copter, good luck finding the "rare gadget" needed to craft it.

There are zero requirements. Every time I started thinking "you know this is pretty cool perk, it should have some requirements" I came back to the realization that it takes away from the design which was to give players something useful but not OP to collect from book stores with a cool bonus after collecting them all.

Ohhh okay, i get were are you going with that. But i thought you were trying to add professions to the game, what's you angle on that one?

Yeh, bite your tongue!

Okay, gimme a sec.

Ouch.

Probably better illumination mod or something to that affect.

Thinking we could also have different coloured mods for lights,allow us to customise our beams etc haha.

Yes. Increases brightness and range. I could have giving it a cool name like Super Bright, but it just has a boring name until MM or whoever decides on the real names.

Colors? We could. Maybe later.

With the addition of RWG rivers will we be seeing powered and unpowered water vehicles?

I can imagine paddle trikes, paddle boards, row boats, jetskis, motorboats, even military boats with turret guns mounted to the front.

Man, as much as I would like to see any of that, they really need to fix water first. I see that as among their most broken systems at the moment, and sincerely looking forward to when it is addressed. I wonder if there are any plans for that soon?

Ohhh okay, i get were are you going with that. But i thought you were trying to add professions to the game, what's you angle on that one?

Okay, gimme a sec.

Ouch.

Professions are a lofty idea but at the end of the day I think most players just want "play style" and no one pre-canned character can encompass that. So build your own character with perks and play style you choose. If the books entice you go find them they let you specialize a bit more. You can sell them or read them. I think they are good enough most people will read them and maybe even trade sell with other players as finding that full set could prove challenging with RNG.

With the addition of RWG rivers will we be seeing powered and unpowered water vehicles?

I can imagine paddle trikes, paddle boards, row boats, jetskis, motorboats, even military boats with turret guns mounted to the front.

Not in A18.

Yes. Increases brightness and range. I could have giving it a cool name like Super Bright, but it just has a boring name until MM or whoever decides on the real names.

Colors? We could. Maybe later.

Are they gonna work like weapon mods so we can see the modifications? That way we can armor plate the vehicles, add spikes, etc? (for modding, maybe not for vanilla)

Man, as much as I would like to see any of that, they really need to fix water first. I see that as among their most broken systems at the moment, and sincerely looking forward to when it is addressed. I wonder if there are any plans for that soon?

Yes we need to fix the water. We have the talent now, its just a matter of priorities. Occlusion bugs and performance first, then water, uvs, linear space lighting, hdrp, shadergraph etc.

Professions are a lofty idea but at the end of the day I think most players just want "play style" and no one pre-canned character can encompass that. So build your own character with perks and play style you choose. If the books entice you go find them they let you specialize a bit more. You can sell them or read them. I think they are good enough most people will read them and maybe even trade sell with other players as finding that full set could prove challenging with RNG.

Ty for explaining!

Joel, will books be numbered? I mean the ability to read books in a certain order. For example, if I found books with numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, then I can read only book with number 1 and cannot read other books until I find book with number 2. Something like volumes. If you do not know what happened in the past volume, you will not be able to understand what the next volume is talking about.

Archived